Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

I think I just had an epiphany. Or I may be completely insane.
Seahawk Nation 08 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
I think I just had an epiphany. Or I may be completely insane.
I don't know whether to trust the validity of this statement, but I've read that if a person were to read about a particular topic for about 5 hours per week for 7 years (with variance depending on how fast of a reader you are and other factors, of course), one could become a world expert on that topic.

With all of the FIFA corruption stories going on, and with the 2022 Qatar (or wherever it ends up) World Cup scheduled to be almost exactly 7 years away, would it be impossible for an idiot like me to read up on FIFA corruption over the years, become a world expert, and write a bestseller just in time for the World Cup, the world's biggest event, in 2022?

And if it is possible, would it be worth it? Would that end up being the only topic I talk to people about? Would I be killed off by some FIFA official? Would something happen in between that would make the topic uninteresting? FIFA's corruption has directly led to death and destruction wherever they go, so I feel that this is a worthwhile topic that people would be interested in, but you never know what direction things would take. After all, the time to have written this book would may well have come and gone; starting an endeavor like this now could very well be a poor decision when it comes to timing.

Thoughts appreciated.
(This post was last modified: 06-24-2015 12:17 AM by Seahawk Nation 08.)
06-24-2015 12:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
RE: I think I just had an epiphany. Or I may be completely insane.
Wrong audience. We as a country just don't collectively care much about the World Cup. Take a country that is perpetually on the short end, AND who really cares though, and you're on to something. That book would be a great idea if you were English .... and publishing in England.
06-24-2015 01:36 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(06-24-2015 01:36 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  Wrong audience. We as a country just don't collectively care much about the World Cup. Take a country that is perpetually on the short end, AND who really cares though, and you're on to something. That book would be a great idea if you were English .... and publishing in England.

All of Europe, and S. America would be interested not just England. One might sell more copies in Espanol than English.
06-24-2015 04:53 AM
Advertisement

firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UF, UCF
2018 too ambitious?
06-24-2015 05:27 AM
ericsrevenge76 Online
Jesus is coming soon

I Root For: The Kingdom
Quote:I think I just had an epiphany. Or I may be completely insane.

yes
06-24-2015 05:49 AM
Advertisement

VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
(06-24-2015 12:16 AM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  I don't know whether to trust the validity of this statement, but I've read that if a person were to read about a particular topic for about 5 hours per week for 7 years (with variance depending on how fast of a reader you are and other factors, of course), one could become a world expert on that topic.

With all of the FIFA corruption stories going on, and with the 2022 Qatar (or wherever it ends up) World Cup scheduled to be almost exactly 7 years away, would it be impossible for an idiot like me to read up on FIFA corruption over the years, become a world expert, and write a bestseller just in time for the World Cup, the world's biggest event, in 2022?

And if it is possible, would it be worth it? Would that end up being the only topic I talk to people about? Would I be killed off by some FIFA official? Would something happen in between that would make the topic uninteresting? FIFA's corruption has directly led to death and destruction wherever they go, so I feel that this is a worthwhile topic that people would be interested in, but you never know what direction things would take. After all, the time to have written this book would may well have come and gone; starting an endeavor like this now could very well be a poor decision when it comes to timing.

Thoughts appreciated.

Go for it! I'm American and would read it. Actually, there are more and more of us, it scares some people. Quite ambitious but good luck!
06-24-2015 07:05 AM
UCF08 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCF
(06-24-2015 01:36 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  Wrong audience. We as a country just don't collectively care much about the World Cup. Take a country that is perpetually on the short end, AND who really cares though, and you're on to something. That book would be a great idea if you were English .... and publishing in England.

Sure, it's not the NFL, but Soccer is the 4th most popular sport in the nation, more popular than hockey, all automobile racing, tennis, golf, or boxing.
06-24-2015 08:24 AM
Advertisement

vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
(06-24-2015 08:24 AM)UCF08 Wrote:  

Sure, it's not the NFL, but Soccer is the 4th most popular sport in the nation, more popular than hockey, all automobile racing, tennis, golf, or boxing.

It looks like soccer will finally stick, but I think that's more to do with the fact American's can see the top level leagues from Europe and Central/South America.
06-24-2015 08:51 AM
VA49er Offline
Legend

(06-24-2015 08:51 AM)vandiver49 Wrote:  
(06-24-2015 08:24 AM)UCF08 Wrote:  

It looks like soccer will finally stick, but I think that's more to do with the fact American's can see the top level leagues from Europe and Central/South America.

Definitely plays a part. During the season, I can watch EPL games and La Liga games every weekend. Starting next season, Bundesliga games will be available. Of course, the USMNT doing well aslo helps tremendously, as well as the women's team. I haven't quite developed a taste for MLS yet, but I'm trying.
(This post was last modified: 06-24-2015 08:58 AM by VA49er.)
06-24-2015 08:58 AM
Advertisement

Seahawk Nation 08 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
No country had more fans show up in Brazil than the USA had. I think there's a market for it here, not just globally. The sport stands to grow even more over the next 7 years as well.

And I guess I misspoke by suggesting I want to write a bestseller. That wouldn't be the driving motivation. FIFA's actions over the years have been actually killing people, and they're an organization with seemingly zero checks on their power. Not to mention, they screwed the US out of hosting in 2022, even though no World Cup has generated more revenue before OR since the 1994 World Cup when we hosted. It might be a complete coincidence that the FBI got involved following that, but in either case, it's kind of interesting.

Devoting 7 years to telling people about all of that might not be a complete waste of time....
(This post was last modified: 06-24-2015 09:56 AM by Seahawk Nation 08.)
06-24-2015 09:53 AM
VA49er Offline
Legend

(06-24-2015 09:53 AM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  No country had more fans show up in Brazil than the USA had. I think there's a market for it here, not just globally. The sport stands to grow even more over the next 7 years as well.

And I guess I misspoke by suggesting I want to write a bestseller. That wouldn't be the driving motivation. FIFA's actions over the years have been actually killing people, and they're an organization with seemingly zero checks on their power. Not to mention, they screwed the US out of hosting in 2022, even though no World Cup has generated more revenue before OR since the 1994 World Cup when we hosted.

Devoting 7 years to telling people about all of that might not be a complete waste of time....

Well, no one saw that FIFA movie, so you don't have to worry about that stealing any of your thunders. Actually, you could probably use that disaster and pinpoint all the innacuries I'm sure it contains.

I agree though the game will grow. I mean, I'm hooked. Hell, a trip to Camp Nou with my son is now on our to do list.
06-24-2015 09:57 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.