Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Harris, Overstreet and Williams leaving program
Bookmark and Share
etsuBucsFan1988 Offline
Millennial Grief Counselor

I Root For: ETSU Hoops
From the JC Press:

The roster for the East Tennessee State University basketball team is undergoing some big-time changes.

Three players expected to be back on the team next year — Devin Harris, Carl Overstreet and Tommy Williams — have left the program.

Harris played in 27 games for the Bucs last season, starting one. He averaged 6.0 points a game and led the team in rebounding at 5.7 per game.

Overstreet, a 6-foot-10 center, red-shirted last year and was expecting to see his first collegiate action next season. Instead, he reportedly decided he didn’t want to be on the team any more.

Williams, who came to ETSU as a junior-college transfer, played little as a junior. He is reportedly headed to Georgia Regents, a Division II school formerly known as Augusta State.

ETSU wouldn’t comment on their reasons for leaving, but new coach Steve Forbes said he didn’t run any of the players out of the program.

“Since my press conference on March 30th, every returning player had the opportunity to be an integral part of our program moving forward,” Forbes said on Wednesday. “For various reasons, each one these young men chose not to be a part of our program next year. I wish them nothing but the best in their future endeavors and I’m excited about the future of our program.”

That means ETSU has three scholarships available for the upcoming season, and it appears the team might get some high-powered recruits to fill a couple of them.

Ge’Lawn Guyn, who began last season as the starting point guard at Cincinnati, is reportedly showing some serious interest in coming to ETSU. He suffered an injury to his right pinky in practice after two games last season, did not play again, and was granted a medical red-shirt for his senior year.

Guyn started all 34 games at the point for the Bearcats as a junior. Cincinnati coach Mick Cronin gave Guyn his release to go to another program.

Should Guyn decided to come to ETSU, he would be eligible immediately, since he will have graduated, and he will have one year left to play.

Another Big East transfer could be joining the Bucs as well.

Joseph Uchebo, a 6-foot-10, 245-pound center from Pittsburgh, is shopping for another school, and ETSU is near the top of his list.

Uchebo played in 21 games for Pittsburgh last season, starting four. He averaged 1.5 points and 1.9 rebounds a game while playing only six minutes a game.

As a graduating fifth-year player, Uchebo would be eligible for the upcoming season as well.
(This post was last modified: 06-18-2015 09:49 AM by etsuBucsFan1988.)
06-18-2015 09:46 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

etsuBucsFan1988 Offline

RE: Harris, Overstreet and Williams leaving program
I really liked Harris. Wish them all well. Something tells me that with Forbes at the helm this program is getting ready to get really interesting and exciting....quickly.
(This post was last modified: 06-18-2015 09:50 AM by etsuBucsFan1988.)
06-18-2015 09:48 AM
ETSUAlumni Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ETSU
Wow at the players we may get
06-18-2015 10:10 AM
Bucster Offline
All American

I try to not get caught up in the rankings of recruits coming out of high school but I can't help to notice that like Hanner, Uchebo is also another 4 star recruit, and Guyn is a 3 star. Again I think for the most part these rankings don't mean a lot, but considering ETSU rarely even signs a 3 star recruit, you can't help but get a little excited.
(This post was last modified: 06-18-2015 10:16 AM by Bucster.)
06-18-2015 10:15 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

I Root For: ETSU Football

Donators
Forbes is not messing around. I fear we may only have him for a brief time, but it's going to be a wild ride.
06-18-2015 10:17 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
queenladybug817 Offline
Special Teams

(06-18-2015 10:17 AM)ETSUfan1 Wrote:  Forbes is not messing around. I fear we may only have him for a brief time, but it's going to be a wild ride.
He does have at least one kid that's younger (I think 10/11ish?) Maybe he'll want to settle down at least long enough for him to get through school. At least we can hope!
06-18-2015 10:27 AM
Advertisement

squeak Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Pretty big news! I wonder if Bill Meade opens his show talking about the Celtics or actually touches on some local sports for once? Could be the most prolific team ever assembled at ETSU. Not necessarily the best, but prolific.02-13-banana
06-18-2015 11:06 AM
ETSU-07 Offline
2nd String

Really hate to see Devin go. There were moments when he was the best player on the court last season and I think he would have been set for a big year. It looks like we're going to end up with several "one and done" players this year and maybe next but I'm ok with that. We're in position to land some major talent that can hopefully win fast. It's a better move to go after talented one year players than to burn a scholarship on a fringe D2 player out of desperation which we saw MuBar do over and over.
06-18-2015 11:22 AM
shampoo Offline
All American

I Root For: blue and gold
All I have to say is that these players are leaving for their own reasons, I fully believe Forbes when he says they were invited to stay and participate...

And lastly, in the generic situation of suddenly being down three over the summer, Bartow would be recruiting DII players with no other DI offers or JUCO's to no purpose. And they would be shooting guard/forwards with no identity and none to be found at ETSU.

In Forbes we trust.
(This post was last modified: 06-18-2015 12:02 PM by shampoo.)
06-18-2015 11:55 AM
Bucster Offline
All American

I'm getting anxious....I hope we find out soon if we are signing these guys or not. I'd also like to hear some info on who the last scholarship might go to as well.
(This post was last modified: 06-18-2015 12:23 PM by Bucster.)
06-18-2015 12:22 PM
BartowZone Offline
2nd String

06-18-2015 12:34 PM
Advertisement

etsuBucsFan1988 Offline

This reminds me somewhat of when we signed the "Mister" class back in the day. I can't remember if anyone left, but there were juniors and seniors at the time that more or less saw the writing on the wall and knew they had to take a seat. It will be interesting to see how all this pans out.
06-18-2015 12:36 PM
shampoo Offline
All American

(06-18-2015 12:34 PM)BartowZone Wrote:  http://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/hami...oun-street

This happened yesterday.

Cincinnati is as "real" as it gets. The college square, or whatever the vicinity is called, looks super rough in person. I sure hope Guyn was simply on the unfortunate end of senseless aggression, and not a contributor in any way.
(This post was last modified: 06-18-2015 01:04 PM by shampoo.)
06-18-2015 01:03 PM
etsuandpurdue3 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Purdue,ETSU,G5
(06-18-2015 01:03 PM)shampoo Wrote:  
(06-18-2015 12:34 PM)BartowZone Wrote:  http://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/hami...oun-street

This happened yesterday.

Cincinnati is as "real" as it gets. The college square, or whatever the vicinity is called, looks super rough in person. I sure hope Guyn was simply on the unfortunate end of senseless aggression, and not a contributor in any way.
He was also suspended from involvement with this. Hopefully that won't be an issue here except against Chattanooga. Joking of course.

06-18-2015 03:15 PM
shampoo Offline
All American

(06-18-2015 03:15 PM)etsuandpurdue3 Wrote:  

This happened yesterday.

He was also suspended from involvement with this. Hopefully that won't be an issue here except against Chattanooga. Joking of course.

If this incident suggests he can shoot, run and gun, I'll take him against Chattanooga's thugs. We need a battle hardened general to take it top 25 next year! :)

Make big noise, however you have to do it, Forbes! Things are much quieter down in E. TN.
06-18-2015 04:37 PM
BucsFan Offline
1st String

I Root For: ETSU & UVa
(This post was last modified: 06-18-2015 06:17 PM by BucsFan.)
06-18-2015 06:16 PM
Advertisement

Just Buc Offline
2nd String

(06-18-2015 04:37 PM)shampoo Wrote:  

This happened yesterday.

If this incident suggests he can shoot, run and gun, I'll take him against Chattanooga's thugs. We need a battle hardened general to take it top 25 next year! :)

Make big noise, however you have to do it, Forbes! Things are much quieter down in E. TN.

Chattanooga's thugs? Did I miss something??
06-19-2015 05:45 AM
shampoo Offline
All American

(06-19-2015 05:45 AM)Just Buc Wrote:  
(06-18-2015 04:37 PM)shampoo Wrote:  

This happened yesterday.

Chattanooga's thugs? Did I miss something??

Allusion to old criticisms of the former rivalry.
06-19-2015 07:09 AM
Buckyball Offline
Bench Warmer

It was a long time ago, but their player slugging our cheerleader is never gonna be forgotten.
06-19-2015 01:27 PM
BucsFan Offline
1st String

I Root For: ETSU & UVa
Per Verbal Commits, Devin Harris is transferring to Jacksonville.
06-24-2015 12:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.