Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Everything crazy that would've happened if Texas had joined the Pac-12
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
Just for fun, there is an article today in SB Nation. It is enitled:

Note I am simply passing along for entertainment purposes, and since it fits the theme of the board. The article explains how he thinks it would have played out. Here were the net results:

Power
ACC
Divisions: **
North -Boston College, Cincinnati, Connecticut, Kansas, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Syracuse
South -Clemson, Duke, Florida State, Miami, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest

** While all of this shuffling was going on, I inserted legislation mandating geographically sensible divisions.

Big 12, maybe?
Divisions:
East -Baylor, Houston, Iowa State, Memphis, UCF, USF
West -Air Force, Boise State, BYU, Kansas State, SMU, TCU

Big Ten
Divisions:
East -Georgia Tech, Indiana, Michigan, Michigan State, North Carolina, Ohio State, Penn State, Rutgers
West -Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Northwestern, Purdue, Wisconsin

Pac-12
Divisions:
North/West -California, Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Washington, Washington State
South/East -Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech, Utah

SEC
Divisions:
East -Florida, Georgia, Maryland, NC State, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, West Virginia
West -Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Texas A&M
06-17-2015 05:57 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CurveItAround Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Mean Green
RE: Everything crazy that would've happened if Texas had joined the Pac-12
That Big 12 conference makeup would not be allowed to remain at the big table IMO.
06-17-2015 06:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ManleyPointer Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: BYU
Big 12 remnants were set to merge with the Big East.
06-17-2015 06:19 PM
jrj84105 Offline
All American

I Root For: Utes
(06-17-2015 06:19 PM)ManleyPointer Wrote:  Big 12 remnants were set to merge with the Big East.
But then the Big East collapsed as additional dominoes fell. I don't think they would have been so happy to join the AAC.
06-17-2015 06:35 PM
jrj84105 Offline
All American

I Root For: Utes
In this scenario I think we would have gotten to the proposed deregulation of divisions and CCGs much sooner.

ACC
North -Boston College, UConn, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Duke
South -Clemson, Florida State, Miami, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest
West - Kansas, KSU, Baylor, TCU, ISU, Cincinnati
06-17-2015 06:40 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(06-17-2015 06:40 PM)jrj84105 Wrote:  In this scenario I think we would have gotten to the proposed deregulation of divisions and CCGs much sooner.

ACC
North -Boston College, UConn, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Duke
South -Clemson, Florida State, Miami, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest
West - Kansas, KSU, Baylor, TCU, ISU, Cincinnati

Kansas was the replacement for A&M in the Pac 16.
06-17-2015 07:07 PM
Advertisement

gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
(06-17-2015 06:35 PM)jrj84105 Wrote:  
(06-17-2015 06:19 PM)ManleyPointer Wrote:  Big 12 remnants were set to merge with the Big East.
But then the Big East collapsed as additional dominoes fell. I don't think they would have been so happy to join the AAC.

BE not likley to have collpased if B12 did first. probably would have still been raided but would the same schools be targeted?
06-17-2015 07:16 PM
rednblackattack Offline
1st String

I Root For: UofL
Would this have been the new Big East if the Big 12 collapsed? Or would the Big East schools join the Big 12?

West Virginia
Louisville
Cincinnati
UConn
South Florida
Kansas
Kansas State
TCU
Iowa St
Bayor

Am I missing anyone? This is actually a heck of a conference in both football and basketball. It was very close to happening
06-17-2015 07:39 PM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
(06-17-2015 07:39 PM)rednblackattack Wrote:  Would this have been the new Big East if the Big 12 collapsed? Or would the Big East schools join the Big 12?

West Virginia
Louisville
Cincinnati
UConn
South Florida
Kansas
Kansas State
TCU
Iowa St
Bayor

Am I missing anyone? This is actually a heck of a conference in both football and basketball. It was very close to happening

At that time, it was set to include Syracuse, Pitt, and Rutgers. Missouri was also to be part of it, but not TCU. This was before other moves by the Big Ten and ACC.
06-17-2015 07:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rednblackattack Offline
1st String

I Root For: UofL
(06-17-2015 07:48 PM)adcorbett Wrote:  
(06-17-2015 07:39 PM)rednblackattack Wrote:  Would this have been the new Big East if the Big 12 collapsed? Or would the Big East schools join the Big 12?

West Virginia
Louisville
Cincinnati
UConn
South Florida
Kansas
Kansas State
TCU
Iowa St
Bayor

At that time, it was set to include Syracuse, Pitt, and Rutgers. Missouri was also to be part of it, but not TCU. This was before other moves by the Big Ten and ACC.

Thanks. I thought Cuse and Pitt had already decided to leave. I would have been happy with that setup. However, I guess it was only a matter of time until it got poached anyways
06-17-2015 07:51 PM
RaiderRed Offline
Banned

I Root For: P5

They didn't have a choice.
06-17-2015 08:55 PM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(06-17-2015 07:16 PM)gosports1 Wrote:  

BE not likley to have collpased if B12 did first. probably would have still been raided but would the same schools be targeted?

Probably. But some things happen quicker.
A&M and Missouri would have gone to SEC in 2010.
Big East bb schools probably split rather than be in a 20 team league.
So Big 12/old BE becomes Baylor, KSU, ISU, TCU, UL, Pitt, SU, Rutgers, USF, Cincinnati, WVU, UConn.
If it survives to the CFP era it remains a major conference. But most likely Pitt and SU still go to ACC, Rutgers and Maryland to B1G and WVU fills in for Maryland in the ACC.

Big 12/old BE refills with Temple, Houston, UCF, Memphis, Navy and becomes G5.
06-17-2015 09:27 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
Okay, I'll challenge SBNation's view in this hypothetical situation:

Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech move to the PAC. PAC's at 16 with Utah and Colorado.

A&M and Missouri still head to the SEC. Why? That's what ESPN wanted.

Maryland and Rutgers still head to the Big 10. Why? Delany still wanted into the East. Only this time before the GOR is in place Delany makes a pitch for Virginia Tech and then settles on Syracuse and a Solid Northeast.

To shore up for the Maryland loss the ACC takes Pittsburgh and West Virginia to establish a good Northern boundary. Then they finish out with Cincinnati and Louisville. Notre Dame is the one who has to alter their original plans and to establish the solid footing for the ACC they agree to all in at the end of the NBC contract.

The SEC isn't permitted to rock the ACC because the Mouse needs to keep it's property viable. But the SEC is permitted to take one. So the most contentious property gets out. Florida State finally joins the SEC and then SEC chooses between Baylor and T.C.U. for a second school from Texas. With new markets in Texas and Missouri already Florida State shores up the Sunshine state and a second Texas school (particularly one delivering more of DFW helps them consolidate their footprint and presence in the two most populous Southern states.

PAC:
Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, Washington State
California, Cal Los Angeles, Southern Cal, Stanford
Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Utah
Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech

Big 10:
Michigan State, Purdue, Rutgers, Syracuse
Indiana, Maryland, Ohio State, Penn State
Illinois, Michigan, Northwestern, Wisconsin
Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Nebraska

ACC:
Boston College, Connecticut, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh
Duke, North Carolina, Virginia, Wake Forest
Cincinnati, Louisville, Virginia Tech, West Virginia
Clemson, Georgia Tech, Miami, N.C. State

SEC:
Arkansas, Baylor/T.C.U., Missouri, Texas A&M
Alabama, Louisiana State, Mississippi, Tennessee
Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, South Carolina
Auburn, Florida State, Mississippi State, Vanderbilt
(This post was last modified: 06-17-2015 09:47 PM by JRsec.)
06-17-2015 09:41 PM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
One variable is whether or not rules similar to what the WAC proposed to save itself would have still been passed. Had they not been, the old "6/5 rule" would have been in effect, meaning the Big 12 would have had no automatic bid had it lost more than 6 schools. The Pac 12 would likely have the Big 12's blood on its hands, as it would have taken Colorado, Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and Texas Tech. This on top of Texas A&M (and later Missouri) to the SEC and Nebraska to the Big 10 would have been enough to kill the conference.

With the AQ gone, Kansas probably gets the Big 10, ACC, or SEC to add them. Kansas State, Baylor, and Iowa State join the Big East with TCU still incoming from the Mountain West.

Big East Football:
West - Baylor, TCU, Kansas State, Iowa State, Louisville, Cincinnati
East - Connecticut, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, West Virginia, Rutgers, South Florida

The ACC and B1G still make their moves, so Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Rutgers, and Louisville get replaced by Central Florida, Memphis, Tulsa, and Houston. If the SEC goes to 16 West Virginia becomes SMU.

I still think the other BCS conferences try to limit themselves to a simple majority of FBS membership, so the ACC may very well try to take Baylor and TCU from the Big East.
06-17-2015 09:46 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
I think they will still keep a P5 conference by the mouse, so to save schools and add schools.
ESPN would want the BIG 12 stay, together. I could see West Virginia would be added to the ACC along with U. Conn., Cincinnati and Louisville. UCF, Navy, Army and U. Mass. could be in the running as well.

Remember Slive's key words here that G5 schools who can keep up will be at the big boy's tables.

Kansas, Kansas State and Iowa State North
TCU, Baylor South

Now which schools could be added that can represents P5 conference in football and basketball?

West San Diego State, Fresno State, UNR, BYU, Boise State, Utah State, Colorado State and Air Force
Central:TCU, Baylor, Houston, Memphis, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Northern Illinois

One thing the P5 could do if they separate from the NCAA? They could invite all the best schools with football to join them. Then, they do away with conferences and do a one complete tv package with all the major networks.
Now the issue is who do they invite?
I know Arizona and Arizona State would love some of the Big Sky schools to join. Northern Arizona have been their rivalry for a long time, and do not want to split from them. Eastern Washington would be interesting case for inclusion. There is not enough good teams in the northwest for a large populated state in Washington not to have more than 2 teams. Colorado would not go without Colorado State. Since Colorado State is up there in academics? I see no reason for them being blocked from joining. Same with North Dakota State, Montana and Montana State with their academics. South Dakota is another.
Now, they would definitely add Boise State since they do have a foot in a national following than some P5 schools right now.
06-18-2015 12:59 AM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
(06-17-2015 09:41 PM)JRsec Wrote:  Okay, I'll challenge SBNation's view in this hypothetical situation:

Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech move to the PAC. PAC's at 16 with Utah and Colorado.

Maryland and Rutgers still head to the Big 10. Why? Delany still wanted into the East. Only this time before the GOR is in place Delany makes a pitch for Virginia Tech and then settles on Syracuse and a Solid Northeast.

To shore up for the Maryland loss the ACC takes Pittsburgh and West Virginia to establish a good Northern boundary. Then they finish out with Cincinnati and Louisville. Notre Dame is the one who has to alter their original plans and to establish the solid footing for the ACC they agree to all in at the end of the NBC contract.

The SEC isn't permitted to rock the ACC because the Mouse needs to keep it's property viable. But the SEC is permitted to take one. So the most contentious property gets out. Florida State finally joins the SEC and then SEC chooses between Baylor and T.C.U. for a second school from Texas. With new markets in Texas and Missouri already Florida State shores up the Sunshine state and a second Texas school (particularly one delivering more of DFW helps them consolidate their footprint and presence in the two most populous Southern states.

PAC:

Big 10:

ACC:

SEC:

That would make for 4 very brutal , balanced Conferences. What could have been !
06-18-2015 05:34 AM
Advertisement

TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame

West Virginia
Louisville
Cincinnati
UConn
South Florida
Kansas
Kansas State
TCU
Iowa St
Bayor

ND for everything but football and hockey.
06-18-2015 06:13 AM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(06-17-2015 09:41 PM)JRsec Wrote:  Okay, I'll challenge SBNation's view in this hypothetical situation:

PAC:

Big 10:

ACC:

SEC:

I think that the partial ND to the ACC deal would have happened, even in your scenario.
06-18-2015 06:14 AM
exowlswimmer Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Rice

PAC:

Big 10:

ACC:

SEC:

Methinks the $EC is more strategic. Academics matter and the SEC would chose between two Major markets with AAU schools, Rice or Tulane. The SEC raises its academic profile again with one of these schools. This brings in one of these major markets and an easy travel destination for SEC alums who can never get a ticket to their sold out home games.
06-18-2015 06:28 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(06-18-2015 06:28 AM)exowlswimmer Wrote:  

PAC:

Big 10:

ACC:

SEC:

Methinks the $EC is more strategic. Academics matter and the SEC would chose between two Major markets with AAU schools, Rice or Tulane. The SEC raises its academic profile again with one of these schools. This brings in one of these major markets and an easy travel destination for SEC alums who can never get a ticket to their sold out home games.

I could buy the notion of the Owls if A&M didn't already deliver Houston. It's DFW we want. I just don't see Tulane getting back in. They add nothing but academics.
06-18-2015 06:46 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.