Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: Who is the better head coach?
Turner Gill
Danny Rocco
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Better Head Coach?
Bookmark and Share
GE and MTS Offline

I Root For: Liberty/Penn St
Better Head Coach?
Just for fun, this has been on my mind a little while and I though I'd ask fellow Liberty fans (and others who have an informed opinion).

Who do you think is the better coach, Turner Gill or Danny Rocco?

Danny Rocco turned the program into a winner his first season, a 6-5 record in 2006. The program was a perennial loser before Rocco stepped on campus. He followed up his 6-5 record with 8-3 (BSC championship), 10-2 (BSC championship), 8-3, 8-3, and 7-4. The last three years are infamous for two co-championships which we lost tiebreakers that would have sent us to the playoffs. Under his coaching we upset FBS Ball State.

Turner Gill led Liberty to the playoffs for the first time and was able to go on the road and defeat James Madison to get several monkeys off the program's back: beat a Virginia non-conference school on the road, beat a CAA team, win a playoff game (on the road no less). His tenure with Liberty started shaky with four straight losses and ending 6-5 and another share of the conference. Coach Gill followed that up with an 8-4 record and another share of the conference title. The record improved but each of the losses were winnable and even one of them (especially to Coastal at home in a double overtime homecoming game which broke our consecutive home conference win streak) turning into a win could have put us into the playoffs. All that changed in 2014 as the Flames knocked off FBS transitional App State, Coastal Carolina on the road (who was undefeated) to share the conference championship but this time take the tiebreaker, and finally beat JMU at their place in the playoffs.

What makes this interesting is that Rocco's Richmond Spiders beat Gill's Flames twice. You could argue that Rocco recruited most of Gill's team so he knew their strengths and weaknesses but Rocco's team wasn't his recruits so it's interesting to me.
06-16-2015 04:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Libertygrad01 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Liberty & UK
RE: Better Head Coach?
This is a tough one. Rocco had a much tougher rebuilding job. The factor with Rocco that can't be overlooked is the Asa Chapman situation. From what I heard the internal split occurred when Rocco pushed hard for Asa to play even the court proceedings were not completely finished. Both are quality coaches, but I feel Gill is a better fit at Liberty.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
06-17-2015 02:18 PM
4bidn Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: LU
IMO, this is like Dungy and Gruden, Gill got more out of Rocco's guys than Rocco could, he won (shared) titles and got just as good if not better players than what Rocco was able to recruit. Rocco's team went down to CCU and were embarrassed, never has happened with Gill playing CCU. Rocco has won the H2H competitions tho, albeit close games, this is neither horseshoes or hand grenades. The only other compatible thing is Gill finally in whatever shape form or fashion it was they got in playoffs and won in playoffs. Gill > Rocco
06-18-2015 01:40 PM
army56mike Offline

I Root For: Liberty & UofL
Hmm.
They are both great coaches.
Rocco's teams were more exciting to watch, bigger offense... of course that was in large part due to some outstanding talent on the offense at the time.
Gill added toughness and attitude and I think that is whey we have made it to the playoffs.
06-18-2015 04:55 PM
Advertisement

NewTimes Offline
All American

I Root For: Flames & Canes
Great question and points can be made for both. Rocco likely had the harder job coming in with the Karcher debacle. Program at major low point then and Rocco made a fast turn around. Scheduling weak cream puff teams likely kept him from making playoffs and couldn't get LU over the post season invite/automatic bid hump. He would have accomplished that if he had stayed.

Gill, as mentioned earlier, was likely on hot seat if no playoff appearances by last year. One blocked, last second FG attempt at CCU changed all that. Was it luck, good fortune or fate? We'll know more as 2015 unfolds. Very challenging schedule with loss of home game and 2 FBS teams.

If Gill goes 7-4, that could be considered maintaining the program. At 8-3 in 2015 LU would likely get an invite especially if they beat GaSt and Gill's stock is rising. If 6-5 or worse, then the Rocco is better mantra would gain steam and Gill may be looking over his shoulder in 2016.
06-21-2015 08:35 AM
GE and MTS Offline

I Root For: Liberty/Penn St
I think much of Gill's luster comes from the playoff appearance. Everyone has high expectations for the program this year and much of the team comes back. If they don't make the playoffs and win again, I think the season will be seen as a disappointment whether that's fair or not and I think many will be back on Rocco's side.

What I like about Gill that I hated about Rocco is that Gill appears to recruit nationally which is a big deal for Liberty while Rocco is much more local. I understand since Rocco (I believe) grew up and around the area which makes him comfortable but Liberty is a nationally recognized name (for better or for worse) and Gill is more national because so are his familiar contacts and pipelines.
06-21-2015 07:25 PM
NewTimes Offline
All American

I Root For: Flames & Canes
(06-21-2015 07:25 PM)GE and MTS Wrote:  I think much of Gill's luster comes from the playoff appearance. Everyone has high expectations for the program this year and much of the team comes back. If they don't make the playoffs and win again, I think the season will be seen as a disappointment whether that's fair or not and I think many will be back on Rocco's side.

What I like about Gill that I hated about Rocco is that Gill appears to recruit nationally which is a big deal for Liberty while Rocco is much more local. I understand since Rocco (I believe) grew up and around the area which makes him comfortable but Liberty is a nationally recognized name (for better or for worse) and Gill is more national because so are his familiar contacts and pipelines.
Good and valid points. The LU program does seem to have a higher profile with Gill than Rocco. As a Nebraska QB, with great success, and with his run at Buffalo, Gill has a national appeal greater than Rocco. Gill also seems to be more at ease at LU with his personal beliefs, or so it seems.
06-22-2015 08:31 AM
army56mike Offline

I Root For: Liberty & UofL
Better Head Coach?
One thing that helps a head coach be successful or not is the right combination of assistant coaches and the continuity there. It really makes the difference when you have the right combination of guys who can effectively teach their position and are good recruiters. It makes the head coach look really good.
06-26-2015 07:44 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.