Why do libs hate Monsanto?
06-16-2015 07:39 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
RE: Why do libs hate Monsanto?
makes sensimilla it's bs.....why would one need to add to something that is already perfect and will grow just about anywhere?

you guys should be jumping on the spice thingy if you want to stop a harmful product

I can't wait to start legally growing my own instead of paying 1k for a qp (that's a quarter pound)

it's just a matter of time before prop 48 passes in missippy

legalizing pot and industrial hemp in missippy - prop 48
06-16-2015 09:53 AM
Paul M Offline
American-American

I Root For: OU
80 bucks for a whole pound in the old days.
06-16-2015 02:58 PM
shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

I Root For: Southern Miss
GMOs save lives
06-16-2015 02:58 PM
UCF08 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCF
There are ignorant people in all parties, and while Monsanto isn't exactly a shining beacon of morality, GMOs are going to be the future of our food supply and people need to stop acting scared or conflating Monsanto/arguably destructive agribusiness to mean GMO.
06-16-2015 03:05 PM
stinkfist Offline

(06-16-2015 02:58 PM)Paul M Wrote:  80 bucks for a whole pound in the old days.

I remember too....was nothing like it is today.....much mo better.....
06-18-2015 06:52 PM
Advertisement

vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
(06-16-2015 03:05 PM)UCF08 Wrote:  There are ignorant people in all parties, and while Monsanto isn't exactly a shining beacon of morality, GMOs are going to be the future of our food supply and people need to stop acting scared or conflating Monsanto/arguably destructive agribusiness to mean GMO.

I just ask those opposed to GMO's when the last time they ate a banana with seeds. Now, Monsanto designing corn that doesn't reproduce and having a patent on said product is f**ked up, but not the end of the world.
06-22-2015 09:13 AM
uofmcamaro Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Consistency
I hate the patent side of things so I can side with the "hate Monsanto" there....but farmers know of these contracts when they get involved so, whatever.

What I don't understand is the Monsanto hate from the mommy bloggers on facebook and such. I get the idea behind being pissed off about the checmicals and genetics and all....but think about reality. Without Monsanto and their advances how quickly would we go through food sources? Production can not keep up with our demand in its current form.
06-22-2015 09:46 AM
UCF08 Offline
Hall of Famer

Why do you get the idea of them being pissed off about 'chemical's and 'genetics'? Those tend to be among the least compelling arguments one can levy.
06-22-2015 07:37 PM
EigenEagle Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
The amount of food ignorance out there is frightening and it will have negative public health consequenses if it continues.

See the thread here about the white house chef's laughable condemnation of kraft mac and cheese because it's not "natural".

See all the fools wetting their pants over "chemicals" while not being able to even define that word.
06-22-2015 08:15 PM
dcCid Offline
All American

I Root For: ACC, Big East
(06-22-2015 09:46 AM)uofmcamaro Wrote:  I hate the patent side of things so I can side with the "hate Monsanto" there....but farmers know of these contracts when they get involved so, whatever.

What I don't understand is the Monsanto hate from the mommy bloggers on facebook and such. I get the idea behind being pissed off about the checmicals and genetics and all....but think about reality. Without Monsanto and their advances how quickly would we go through food sources? Production can not keep up with our demand in its current form.

As far as patents, Monsanto is a business and I will disclose that I own some of their stock.

The bloggers are varied. Some just want foods labeled as GMO since they do not know the long term effects, and I do not have a problem with that. On the other hand I know vegans that are interested in GMO crops that reduce the need for pesticides.
06-23-2015 06:35 AM
Advertisement

dcCid Offline
All American

I Root For: ACC, Big East
(06-16-2015 09:53 AM)stinkfist Wrote:  makes sensimilla it's bs.....why would one need to add to something that is already perfect and will grow just about anywhere?

you guys should be jumping on the spice thingy if you want to stop a harmful product

I can't wait to start legally growing my own instead of paying 1k for a qp (that's a quarter pound)

That is interesting, however I think it will be difficult to pass in MS.

DC passed as ballot initiative last November with over 70% approval to legalize possessing up to 2 ounces and grow up to 3 plants per adult (max of 6 per household). It is sort of in legal limbo because the republicans in congress say it is illegal even though they did not overturn it within 30 days after submission. They added riders to the budget to prevent DC from enforcing it (congress has final say over DC spending even with local tax dollars).

the DC police in return has said they will no longer arrest anyone for possession. The National Park Police (which has full legal authority throughout DC ) has also said they will not make any arrest unless it is on Federal property (which can be part of a sidewalk since federal land is commingled and scattered throughout the city). For example the dog park on my street is federal property so would need to walk on the other side of the street there in theory.

Anyhow looking into growing smoke now but told there is a bad odor at maturity & in a row house trying to figure out how to manage that. Currently the city warns to grow inside only as a gop presidential win in 2016 would probably change the park police policy. Any knowledge on managing the odor in an urban setting?
06-23-2015 06:51 AM
Monarchist13 Offline

I Root For: ODU
(06-23-2015 06:35 AM)dcCid Wrote:  
(06-22-2015 09:46 AM)uofmcamaro Wrote:  I hate the patent side of things so I can side with the "hate Monsanto" there....but farmers know of these contracts when they get involved so, whatever.

As far as patents, Monsanto is a business and I will disclose that I own some of their stock.

The bloggers are varied. Some just want foods labeled as GMO since they do not know the long term effects, and I do not have a problem with that. On the other hand I know vegans that are interested in GMO crops that reduce the need for pesticides.

Hasn't it been reported that the seeds that don't need pesticides end up strengthening the insects it was designed to protect the crop from and ultimately resulting in more lost crop?
06-23-2015 07:32 AM
stinkfist Offline

(06-23-2015 06:51 AM)dcCid Wrote:  
(06-16-2015 09:53 AM)stinkfist Wrote:  makes sensimilla it's bs.....why would one need to add to something that is already perfect and will grow just about anywhere?

That is interesting, however I think it will be difficult to pass in MS.

DC passed as ballot initiative last November with over 70% approval to legalize possessing up to 2 ounces and grow up to 3 plants per adult (max of 6 per household). It is sort of in legal limbo because the republicans in congress say it is illegal even though they did not overturn it within 30 days after submission. They added riders to the budget to prevent DC from enforcing it (congress has final say over DC spending even with local tax dollars).

the DC police in return has said they will no longer arrest anyone for possession. The National Park Police (which has full legal authority throughout DC ) has also said they will not make any arrest unless it is on Federal property (which can be part of a sidewalk since federal land is commingled and scattered throughout the city). For example the dog park on my street is federal property so would need to walk on the other side of the street there in theory.

Anyhow looking into growing smoke now but told there is a bad odor at maturity & in a row house trying to figure out how to manage that. Currently the city warns to grow inside only as a gop presidential win in 2016 would probably change the park police policy. Any knowledge on managing the odor in an urban setting?

w/o going too deep into the subject, even the thumpers are seeing the light for a state that is in dire need of economic stimulus....the first pass is going to be close

and yes, it does reek when you hang it to dry....haven't researched it to that level since I'm in missippy....would assume there is some carbon/charcoal/filtration system that could be purchased or thrown together....you might find something here.
06-23-2015 07:43 AM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
(06-22-2015 07:37 PM)UCF08 Wrote:  Why do you get the idea of them being pissed off about 'chemical's and 'genetics'? Those tend to be among the least compelling arguments one can levy.

The percentages are small but I equate the with the anti-vaxxers; they have an outsized voice for presenting their POV.
06-23-2015 07:52 AM
QuestionSocratic Offline
Banned

I Root For: Buffalo
(06-23-2015 07:32 AM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  

Hasn't it been reported that the seeds that don't need pesticides end up strengthening the insects it was designed to protect the crop from and ultimately resulting in more lost crop?

Then they just produce a new pesticide (not a bad business model).
06-23-2015 08:06 AM
Advertisement

QuestionSocratic Offline
Banned

I Root For: Buffalo
(06-23-2015 07:52 AM)vandiver49 Wrote:  
(06-22-2015 07:37 PM)UCF08 Wrote:  Why do you get the idea of them being pissed off about 'chemical's and 'genetics'? Those tend to be among the least compelling arguments one can levy.

The percentages are small but I equate the with the anti-vaxxers; they have an outsized voice for presenting their POV.

Or the folks in Portland, OR, who continue to block fluoridation of the public water supply.

Fluoridation opposition
(This post was last modified: 06-23-2015 08:09 AM by QuestionSocratic.)
06-23-2015 08:08 AM
UCF08 Offline
Hall of Famer

That's the least defensible position they take. We have genetically modified food since we've lived in settled societies. Yet they want this specific mode of genetic alteration labeled using the ultimately vague and nonspecific 'GMO' designation? That tells you absolutely nothing about the modification itself, how it was modified, or the potential allergy risks one could have. As for the risks, outside of possible allergy implications, there really aren't any more risks than with a novel corn hybrid or new breed of cattle. And talking with anti-GMO folks only shows that this is nothing more than another technological boogeyman, feared by those who don't have a firm understanding of genetics in general.

Long story short, simply labeling something GMO has no legitimate function besides implicating all GMO's as dangerous/somehow different than every other domesticated (a form of genetically modified organism) plant/animal we eat. It isn't, it's just a more efficient form of modification, and labeling them will only give credence to those who don't understand or care about how this will hurt research into this supremely useful technology. One that, by all accounts, very well might save billions of lives in the coming decades.
06-23-2015 08:11 AM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
The stories of Monsanto enforcing their patents on farmers can be infuriating to read.
06-23-2015 08:26 AM
Monarchist13 Offline

I Root For: ODU
(06-23-2015 08:06 AM)QuestionSocratic Wrote:  
(06-23-2015 07:32 AM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  

Then they just produce a new pesticide (not a bad business model).

Good business model, especially since they produce roundup. But it is awful for farmers in the interim. And what happens when they can't find a strong enough solution? The creation of super bugs and super weeds that are resistant to chemicals is pretty concerning for myself and many others.
(This post was last modified: 06-23-2015 08:41 AM by Monarchist13.)
06-23-2015 08:38 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.