Orlando paper showing big support for UCF to Big 12
Bookmark and Share
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/uc...olumn.html

Mike Bianchi: It's time for UCF fans to make Big 12 take notice

This is a big call to arms for UCF fans.

A Big 12 call to arms.

If ever there was a time for the hundreds of thousands of UCF fans, alumni and students in Central Florida to back their football program, then now is it.

"It's a sprint, not a marathon," UCF athletic director Todd Stansbury said during a recent UCF fan and booster gathering in downtown Orlando.

Although Stansbury wasn't talking specifically about the race to gain a potential invitation to the Big 12, he might as well have been.

New West Virginia athletic director Shane Lyons let it be known recently he wants the Big 12 to expand and that the league is at least investigating adding two new members.

"There's a presidential committee that's kind of looking at that . . . but as athletic directors, we try to look at the bigger picture of what actual teams and partners we could bring in that would add value to the conference and that's still being explored," Lyons told WVIllustrated.com. "I'm in favor of expansion if it's the right two teams to bring in. Obviously for us, it would be nice to have more of an eastern partner, but at the same time, I want to make sure it's the right partner and from a revenue standpoint it doesn't impact us negatively as well by bringing additional partners in."

Are you hearing what I'm hearing? . . . Eastern partner + revenue + added value = UCF!

If UCF's burgeoning fan base and massive student population gets behind the effort, then it should be a no-brainer. UCF is clearly a better option than the other two oft-mentioned candidates — American Athletic Conference brethren Memphis and Cincinnati — as an eastern partner for Big 12 expansion. Academically, geographically and philosophically, UCF brings much more to the table than both Memphis and Cincinnati.

Philosophically, Cincinnati is an NFL city where the college football team is barely a blip on the radar. Memphis is a basketball school where the college football team is an afterthought.
But UCF is a football school and Orlando is a college football town — located right in the middle of one of the most recruiting-rich, football-fanatical states in the country.

Orlando has three college football bowl games and is one of the world's top international tourist destinations. The Big 12 could own this city. And if I've written it once, I've written it a million times: The Big 12 is the only Power 5 league in the southern part of the United States that doesn't have a team in Florida — the third-most populous state in the nation.

As the SEC and Big Ten start making more and more TV money with their own networks, the Big 12 eventually must add television sets to keep pace. Orlando's TV market is ranked 18th in the country, out-distancing Cincinnati (36th) and Memphis (50) by a wide margin.

...Now it's up to the fans to put UCF over the top. Don't get me wrong, it's not like UCF's fan support has been horrible. Among the non-Power 5 schools, UCF's announced attendance (37,812) last year was ranked third behind BYU (57,141) and East Carolina (44,786). Still, UCF should easily be able to put more distance between itself, Memphis (33,851) and Cincinnati (28,840). After all, UCF is the second-largest university in the nation with more than 60,000 students and is located in a metropolitan area of more than 2 million.

As UCF President John Hitt told me earlier this week, it would certainly be timely "if we could see a boost in attendance."

Added Stansbury: "Our student-athletes and coaches are doing their part to put us in the position to flex our muscles. It's obvious to me that our major strengths are our location and our size. If we can get more fans to our games, it will really start to showcase our size as an asset.

... It's certainly no secret now that the Big 12 is asking questions about expanding.

UCF fans, are you ready to provide the answers?
06-15-2015 10:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ChapelHillTiger Offline
2nd String

RE: Orlando paper showing big support for UCF to Big 12
UCF knows the importance of making friends and building relationships..... Ha

(06-15-2015 10:03 PM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/uc...olumn.html

Mike Bianchi: It's time for UCF fans to make Big 12 take notice

This is a big call to arms for UCF fans.

A Big 12 call to arms.

If ever there was a time for the hundreds of thousands of UCF fans, alumni and students in Central Florida to back their football program, then now is it.

"It's a sprint, not a marathon," UCF athletic director Todd Stansbury said during a recent UCF fan and booster gathering in downtown Orlando.

Although Stansbury wasn't talking specifically about the race to gain a potential invitation to the Big 12, he might as well have been.

New West Virginia athletic director Shane Lyons let it be known recently he wants the Big 12 to expand and that the league is at least investigating adding two new members.

"There's a presidential committee that's kind of looking at that . . . but as athletic directors, we try to look at the bigger picture of what actual teams and partners we could bring in that would add value to the conference and that's still being explored," Lyons told WVIllustrated.com. "I'm in favor of expansion if it's the right two teams to bring in. Obviously for us, it would be nice to have more of an eastern partner, but at the same time, I want to make sure it's the right partner and from a revenue standpoint it doesn't impact us negatively as well by bringing additional partners in."

Are you hearing what I'm hearing? . . . Eastern partner + revenue + added value = UCF!

If UCF's burgeoning fan base and massive student population gets behind the effort, then it should be a no-brainer. UCF is clearly a better option than the other two oft-mentioned candidates — American Athletic Conference brethren Memphis and Cincinnati — as an eastern partner for Big 12 expansion. Academically, geographically and philosophically, UCF brings much more to the table than both Memphis and Cincinnati.

Philosophically, Cincinnati is an NFL city where the college football team is barely a blip on the radar. Memphis is a basketball school where the college football team is an afterthought.
But UCF is a football school and Orlando is a college football town — located right in the middle of one of the most recruiting-rich, football-fanatical states in the country.

Orlando has three college football bowl games and is one of the world's top international tourist destinations. The Big 12 could own this city. And if I've written it once, I've written it a million times: The Big 12 is the only Power 5 league in the southern part of the United States that doesn't have a team in Florida — the third-most populous state in the nation.

As the SEC and Big Ten start making more and more TV money with their own networks, the Big 12 eventually must add television sets to keep pace. Orlando's TV market is ranked 18th in the country, out-distancing Cincinnati (36th) and Memphis (50) by a wide margin.

...Now it's up to the fans to put UCF over the top. Don't get me wrong, it's not like UCF's fan support has been horrible. Among the non-Power 5 schools, UCF's announced attendance (37,812) last year was ranked third behind BYU (57,141) and East Carolina (44,786). Still, UCF should easily be able to put more distance between itself, Memphis (33,851) and Cincinnati (28,840). After all, UCF is the second-largest university in the nation with more than 60,000 students and is located in a metropolitan area of more than 2 million.

As UCF President John Hitt told me earlier this week, it would certainly be timely "if we could see a boost in attendance."

Added Stansbury: "Our student-athletes and coaches are doing their part to put us in the position to flex our muscles. It's obvious to me that our major strengths are our location and our size. If we can get more fans to our games, it will really start to showcase our size as an asset.

... It's certainly no secret now that the Big 12 is asking questions about expanding.

UCF fans, are you ready to provide the answers?
06-15-2015 10:09 PM
Stammers Offline
Legend

UCF is too far from everyone. This is the same as BYU publicly talking about how important it is to get into a major conference. The statements aren't borne out of optimism or any good news from the Big 12. They come out of desperation and fear of being left out.

Too little, too late.
06-16-2015 12:44 AM
presskh Offline
Heisman

(06-16-2015 12:44 AM)Stammers Wrote:  UCF is too far from everyone. This is the same as BYU publicly talking about how important it is to get into a major conference. The statements aren't borne out of optimism or any good news from the Big 12. They come out of desperation and fear of being left out.

Too little, too late.

And Missouri is way too far away to be in the SEC east… well, uh, maybe not. UCF is no more desperate than we are to get in a P5 conference and getting "left out" is the fear that we all have.
06-16-2015 07:30 AM
Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
(06-16-2015 12:44 AM)Stammers Wrote:  UCF is too far from everyone.

So was West Virginia.
06-16-2015 08:02 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
UWV was apparently not too far when the B12 came calling & UCF won't be either given their TV market, facilities (including OCS), climate & recruiting in FL. I don't think we can rely on the idea of geography to keep UCF out. Instead, I think Memphis just needs to work to be the better choice. That means on the field success, fan support & better facilities - including an OCS proposal. Our geography is good but not a deciding factor, IMO.

Despite the level of fan support UCF has, it will be very difficult for them to increase support in the near term, given the allegiance most Orlando residents have for other universities. But UCF is gaining. Had the BE been choosing a FL school at this time it would have been UCF over USF. We need to win on the field, have an aggressive business leaders support effort, dramatically increase attendance - and at least announce a long term plan for an OCS, contingent on B12 admission. Those are the tangible accomplishments & commitments that will influence a committee.
06-16-2015 08:04 AM
Advertisement

Tigers2B1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
It seems the writer concludes all the following in favor UCF. Seems there's room for debate.

- With the new administration at Memphis college football is no longer an "afterthought." In fact, Memphis might draw as many or more this season than does UCF.

- Memphis is a better Big 12 fit geographically looking at the reason the Big 12 wants to go east, that is, West Virginia. Cincinnati and Memphis together are a much better fits geographically.

- ESPN knows Memphis sports TV. ESPN knows that Memphis is year in and out one of their top 10 college sports markets.

- There's a reason that the SEC originally saw no need for satellite camps to augment recruiting. Memphis is right in the middle of that reason.

- I do think basketball matters in the Big 12. In fact, Bowlsby mentioned TV partnerships, recruiting, and sports important to the conference, would be considerations if the Big 12 decided to expand.

Just not sure UCF looks as good when compared to Memphis as the Orlando sports writer wants some to believe.
(This post was last modified: 06-16-2015 08:15 AM by Tigers2B1.)
06-16-2015 08:11 AM
Tigers2B1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(06-16-2015 08:04 AM)Atlanta Wrote:  UWV was apparently not too far when the B12 came calling & UCF won't be either given their TV market, facilities (including OCS), climate & recruiting in FL...

Just wanted to respond there. Recall that the West Virginia addition was a pretty unique circumstance and done under duress, really, by both parties. Not saying that geography bars UCF, just that citing the West Virginia case doesn't support that IMO.
06-16-2015 08:19 AM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
they at least have a columnist fully in their corner.
06-16-2015 08:19 AM
Stammers Offline
Legend

(06-16-2015 07:30 AM)presskh Wrote:  
(06-16-2015 12:44 AM)Stammers Wrote:  UCF is too far from everyone. This is the same as BYU publicly talking about how important it is to get into a major conference. The statements aren't borne out of optimism or any good news from the Big 12. They come out of desperation and fear of being left out.

Too little, too late.

And Missouri is way too far away to be in the SEC east… well, uh, maybe not. UCF is no more desperate than we are to get in a P5 conference and getting "left out" is the fear that we all have.

It isn't even remotely the same.

$EC - Missouri (East in bold)
287 Arkansas
434 Vandy
460 Kentucky
470 Ole Piss
567 Mississippi State
610 UT
620 Alabama
739 Georgia
767 Auburn
774 LSU
777 Texas A&M
875 USC
1,020 Florida

Big 12 - Memphis
472 Oklahoma
476 Oklahoma State
480 Cincinnati
497 TCU
548 Baylor
560 Kansas
640 Kansas State
647 Texas
662 Iowa State
756 West Virginia
817 Texas Tech

Big 12 - UCF
912 Cincinnati
919 West Virginia
1,126 TCU
1,132 Texas
1,172 Baylor
1,279 Oklahoma
1,295 Kansas
1,304 Oklahoma State
1,376 Kansas State
1,433 Iowa State
1,443 Texas Tech

Some might say that distance doesn't matter; that it's only 1 trip per year, but that's nonsense. It is 1 trip per year for every single team, men and women.

Also, it isn't just a stand alone trip; it is the fact that Memphis and Cincy are in the middle of everything. The conference would cut travel costs dramatically by scheduling either Memphis or Cincinnati as part of every trip to West Virginia. You could play two games within a 1,500-2,000 mile round trip. UCF is isolated and is a 2,200-2,800 round trip for each game, no matter how you slice it.

The Big 12 are the worst cheapskates. They are idiots, but even they will come to their senses and take us before they take UCF.
(This post was last modified: 06-16-2015 08:31 AM by Stammers.)
06-16-2015 08:30 AM
memphistiger89 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(06-15-2015 10:03 PM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/uc...olumn.html

UCF is clearly a better option than the other two oft-mentioned candidates — American Athletic Conference brethren Memphis and Cincinnati — as an eastern partner for Big 12 expansion. Academically, geographically and philosophically, UCF brings much more to the table than both Memphis and Cincinnati.

This writer lost all credibility with this statement. While one could certainly make a strong argument for UCF, adding UCF over Cincy and Memphis is far from a no-brainer. As a matter of fact, if the the Big 12 was to add one school tomorrow I think Cincy would be the no-brainer.
06-16-2015 08:39 AM
Advertisement

TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-16-2015 08:19 AM)fsquid Wrote:  they at least have a columnist fully in their corner.

You know if this is truly a "sprint not a marathon," it would be nice for at least one of our beat writers to wake up.
06-16-2015 08:42 AM
Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

I Root For: Jamammy
(06-16-2015 08:19 AM)fsquid Wrote:  they at least have a columnist fully in their corner.

We have better sports talk doe
06-16-2015 08:45 AM
Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

I Root For: Jamammy
(06-16-2015 08:42 AM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  

You know if this is truly a "sprint not a marathon," it would be nice for at least one of our beat writers to wake up.

Beat writers don't write columns. Calkins is the man for this. Or maybe Cohen.
06-16-2015 08:46 AM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
(06-16-2015 08:45 AM)Brother Bluto Wrote:  

We have better sports talk doe

they have the Kaka
06-16-2015 08:55 AM
Tigers2B1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Yep, wish we had that level of passion and support from the CA. The UCF AD is trying hard to make it sound as if he's hearing something. Maybe he is. Really hard to tell but the Orlando columnist has bought in and is making an effort to bring the fans along.
06-16-2015 09:38 AM
Advertisement

Stammers Offline
Legend

(06-16-2015 08:04 AM)Atlanta Wrote:  UWV was apparently not too far when the B12 came calling & UCF won't be either given their TV market, facilities (including OCS), climate & recruiting in FL. I don't think we can rely on the idea of geography to keep UCF out. Instead, I think Memphis just needs to work to be the better choice. That means on the field success, fan support & better facilities - including an OCS proposal. Our geography is good but not a deciding factor, IMO.

Despite the level of fan support UCF has, it will be very difficult for them to increase support in the near term, given the allegiance most Orlando residents have for other universities. But UCF is gaining. Had the BE been choosing a FL school at this time it would have been UCF over USF. We need to win on the field, have an aggressive business leaders support effort, dramatically increase attendance - and at least announce a long term plan for an OCS, contingent on B12 admission. Those are the tangible accomplishments & commitments that will influence a committee.

UCF drew less than 4,000 more per game than we did, coming off of 46 wins the previous 5 years, so nothing to worry about at all on that front. UCF is showing where their ceiling is at. Ours is much higher. We had 12 wins the 5 years prior. It's a complete non issue.

Announcing plans for an OCS; is also thankfully a complete non issue. It is irrelevant.

Geography is a major issue. It will cost a fortune in time and travel if UCF is added. Travel for WVU is a sore spot that gets daily publicity. When push comes to shove there is no way the Big 12 will want UCF. The UCF AD is being exactly like AD's from ECU and BYU have been after they realize it is too late for them.
06-16-2015 09:55 AM
Stammers Offline
Legend

(06-16-2015 09:38 AM)Tigers2B1 Wrote:  Yep, wish we had that level of passion and support from the CA. The UCF AD is trying hard to make it sound as if he's hearing something. Maybe he is. Really hard to tell but the Orlando columnist has bought in and is making an effort to bring the fans along.

The Big 12 is looking at the UCF column the same way that UCF is looking at UConn calling them a rival.
06-16-2015 09:56 AM
tnzazz Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!
(06-16-2015 08:46 AM)Brother Bluto Wrote:  
(06-16-2015 08:42 AM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  

Beat writers don't write columns. Calkins is the man for this. Or maybe Cohen.

Yep
06-16-2015 10:24 AM
Tigers2B1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(06-16-2015 09:56 AM)Stammers Wrote:  
(06-16-2015 09:38 AM)Tigers2B1 Wrote:  Yep, wish we had that level of passion and support from the CA. The UCF AD is trying hard to make it sound as if he's hearing something. Maybe he is. Really hard to tell but the Orlando columnist has bought in and is making an effort to bring the fans along.

The Big 12 is looking at the UCF column the same way that UCF is looking at UConn calling them a rival.

Of course. I'm not suggesting that a sports column is going to influence the Big 12. I am suggesting that columns like this one make the average fan more aware of what might be going on. What seems to be implied by the UCF AD. That, in turn, could become a positive. Hell, the last thing I heard Calkins say on this was that Memphis ain't going to the Big 12.
06-16-2015 10:51 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.