Fbs paying off
06-13-2015 10:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

atljmualum Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU
Odu hosting camp with Michigan
Thought they were making a big mistake going FBS?
06-14-2015 06:01 AM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: Odu hosting camp with Michigan
I wish someone would explain what good could possibly come from this action? This has to be costing a penny or two. What could they possibly expect to gain? Thinking this may help the recruiting effort....sheesh.
06-14-2015 07:27 AM
HotHamandCheese84 Offline
Special Teams

If we were hosting Michigan at JMU, I would be there to see how we stacked up. It is certainly a big deal in my mind that they are scrimmaging with Big Blue. I don't begrudge them for their success and it reminds me of where we should be now and where we need to be quickly, I hope.
06-14-2015 07:38 AM
jmutoml757 Offline
All American

I Root For: jmu
Didn't someone mention in a former thread that they are doing the same with Penn St?
06-14-2015 07:47 AM
Advertisement

Dukeman Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: James Madison
Jeff Bourne, CPA, Bridgewater College

Dr. Camden Wood Selig became the Director of Athletics for Old Dominion University on July 1, 2010.

In four short years, his “Championship Effort” mantle has been a rallying force for a transformed athletic program, which has included the University’s move to Conference USA, the transition of the football program to the FBS level and the implementation of an aggressive strategic plan.

Monarch teams have won three conference championships during Selig’s tenure, and football, field hockey, men’s soccer, men’s basketball, men’s swimming and wrestling have advanced to NCAA post season play 16 times in the past four years. The field hockey program advanced to the “Final Four” in 2011, while football competed in the 2012 FCS quarterfinals. Twenty-four student athletes have earned All-America honors in their respective sports, while 106 have garnered All -Conference honors.

Upon his arrival, Selig identified the need for an updated departmental vision and master plan for Old Dominion’s athletic future, consistent with the University’s strategic plan. A five-year strategic plan was implemented, setting competitive goals for every aspect of the program. Those goals included a 10% annual increase in new private revenue, top quartile finishes for all 18 teams in conference play, academic success and 100% participation of all teams and staff with community service and outreach projects.

Over the past four years, The Old Dominion Athletic Foundation has exceeded 10% revenue growth each year, raising more than $6.8 million for athletic scholarship support in 2013 from over 3,000 donors. Under Selig’s leadership, $8.4 million in private support has been raised for a new basketball practice facility which is expected to break ground in late 2014, over $750,000 in baseball enhancement projects including the new Paul Keyes indoor batting complex, and planning is underway for the expansion of the L.R. Hill Complex and a new riverfront football stadium.

Corporate sponsorships, spearheaded by ODU Sports Properties, a division of CBS, have increased from $1.7 million in 2011 to $2.7 million in 2014, while ticket revenue has increased by $4 million over the last three years.

One of Selig’s strengths has been his ability to assess the national landscape of collegiate athletics, and strategize ODU’s opportunities for national success. He played a key role in the University’s jump to Conference USA in 2012, which included moving the new football program to the FBS level of competition. Additionally, Selig helped lead the field hockey program to associate membership in the BigEast, wrestling’s membership in the Mid-American Conference, lacrosse’s membership in the Atlantic Sun in 2015, and the women’s rowing’s team’s 2014-15 participation as an associate Big 12 member.

Selig spent 11 years directing the Western Kentucky University Hilltopper program, which won 70 Sun Belt Conference championships since from 2000-2010 and a national- record 19 crowns during the 2008-10 seasons. He was a key figure in guiding the WKU football program’s move from NCAA Division I-AA to I-A in 2007, and he spearheaded projects of more than $100 million, which included new construction and renovations of Hilltopper facilities. WKU also won more individual Sun Belt academic honors than any other league school from 2005-2010, and every men’s and women’s athletic team exceeded the NCAA-required 925 Academic Progress Rate.

Prior to his stint at WKU, Selig served as the Senior Associate Athletic Director at the University of Virginia for 11 years, overseeing external operations. He began his career as the Director of Ticketing for Virginia Commonwealth University.

Selig was a four year member (2006-2010) of the NCAA Women’s Basketball Committee and served as chair for both the Sun Belt Conference Athletic Directors and the Men’s Basketball Committees during his tenure at WKU. He has served on the prestigious Division I Championships/Sports Management Cabinet and locally is Board of Trustees member for the Norfolk Collegiate School and the board of the Norfolk Forum. He was named the Tom Ferguson Metropolitan Person of the Year award from the Norfolk Sports Club in 2014, symbolic of his impact on the region’s sports profile.

Selig was born in Chapel Hill, NC, and was raised in Norfolk, VA, where he attended the Norfolk Collegiate School. He holds a bachelor’s degree in psychology from Washington and Lee University, a master’s degree in sports administration from Ohio University and a Ph.D. in educational leadership from the University of Virginia, with a minor in business from the UVA Darden School of Business.
06-14-2015 07:51 AM
White Hall Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Dukes
(06-14-2015 07:27 AM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  I wish someone would explain what good could possibly come from this action? This has to be costing a penny or two. What could they possibly expect to gain? Thinking this may help the recruiting effort....sheesh.

They gain access to recruits that are borderline talent at the P5 level so that if they don't get offers from a P5 school, ODU is already on their mind. I don't know what the success rate of these camps are, but I suspect there is some level of success to this tactic.
06-14-2015 08:40 AM
moehler Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
App held a camp with Nebraska down in Atlanta, and I think we just had one with Florida State. Its not just the FBS schools that can do this, the camp App held with Nebraska was in Atlanta and the host was a division 2 school. Doesn't cost much, your just sending a few coaches down to the host school, they get to evaluate talent they normally couldn't, and you get your name out to the recruits. Surprised JMU doesn't do this.
06-14-2015 10:41 AM
paintedblue2 Offline
All American

I Root For: ODU
The ODU camp which will be co-hosted by PSU and Coach Franklin takes place this Thursday. There are 42 NCAA coaching staffs participating including ours and PSU's, which are the only FBS teams involved. Most CAA schools will be represented, including JMU. I believe there is good opportunity here for all involved because of the high volume of campers registered (between 600-700 at last report.) Obviously the coaches of the other participating schools see value also or they would not have chosen to be involved.

It seems like many VT fans are po'd in a Nick Saban kind-of-way.
(This post was last modified: 06-14-2015 11:32 AM by paintedblue2.)
06-14-2015 11:28 AM
Advertisement

HotHamandCheese84 Offline
Special Teams

(06-14-2015 11:28 AM)paintedblue2 Wrote:  The ODU camp which will be co-hosted by PSU and Coach Franklin takes place this Thursday. There are 42 NCAA coaching staffs participating including ours and PSU's, which are the only FBS teams involved. Most CAA schools will be represented, including JMU. I believe there is good opportunity here for all involved because of the high volume of campers registered (between 600-700 at last report.) Obviously the coaches of the other participating schools see value also or they would not have chosen to be involved.

We have been involved in camps with VA Tech, UVA, TCU and others in the past. I have not asked Coach Withers if he's doing this now or not. We may very well be doing a bunch of these. It would be great if you hosted one of these in the near future.
06-14-2015 11:31 AM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-14-2015 08:40 AM)White Hall Wrote:  
(06-14-2015 07:27 AM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  I wish someone would explain what good could possibly come from this action? This has to be costing a penny or two. What could they possibly expect to gain? Thinking this may help the recruiting effort....sheesh.

They gain access to recruits that are borderline talent at the P5 level so that if they don't get offers from a P5 school, ODU is already on their mind. I don't know what the success rate of these camps are, but I suspect there is some level of success to this tactic.

I just don't see it. Could you explain or define success?
06-14-2015 12:53 PM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

Wait, so we started another thread about nothing of any real significance and that is fairly commonplace, even for Fcs schools?
Get back to me when odu is hosting Michigan. That would be news.
06-14-2015 03:45 PM
atljmualum Offline
All American

(06-14-2015 03:45 PM)Potomac Wrote:  Wait, so we started another thread about nothing of any real significance and that is fairly commonplace, even for Fcs schools?

ODU has contracts in place to host NC State and VT, but not to worry, we have contracts in place to host Morehead State Central Connecticut and St Francis.
06-14-2015 03:57 PM
Advertisement

DaBigBlue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
http://hamptonroads.com/2015/06/high-sch...-sells-out

Today's camp with Penn State has twice as many recruits coming as they originally planned and had to shut down registration at 1,000. Will have 175 coaches from 43 schools. Every CAA school is represented including JMU. What a great opportunity for these players.
06-18-2015 08:48 AM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(06-14-2015 03:45 PM)Potomac Wrote:  Wait, so we started another thread about nothing of any real significance and that is fairly commonplace, even for Fcs schools?

They may not have Michigan at home but they do have contracts with NC State, VA Tech and Wake to play at ODU. So ODU is getting H/H with ACC schools. All the while JMU will be playing with Pioneer, NEC and the Big South.

Because of your Admins stance on the Sun Belt (IA in general, I think) JMU will continue to slide. Appy also has Wake at home.
06-18-2015 10:45 AM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-18-2015 10:45 AM)HerdZoned Wrote:  

They may not have Michigan at home but they do have contracts with NC State, VA Tech and Wake to play at ODU. So ODU is getting H/H with ACC schools. All the while JMU will be playing with Pioneer, NEC and the Big South.

Because of your Admins stance on the Sun Belt (IA in general, I think) JMU will continue to slide. Appy also has Wake at home.

Charlotte just signed a H & H with Duke.
06-18-2015 11:18 AM
HolyCityDuke Offline
All American

I Root For: Duke Doge
(06-18-2015 11:18 AM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  
(06-18-2015 10:45 AM)HerdZoned Wrote:  

Charlotte just signed a H & H with Duke.

They'll learn how stupid FBS is! Forget bigger home games, paydays, and all around better schedule, FCS IS THE WAY TO GO! #CAA4LYFE!
06-18-2015 11:41 AM
Advertisement

jmusuperfan Offline
All American

06-18-2015 03:38 PM
jmusuperfan Offline
All American

06-18-2015 03:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.