WMU Broncos

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

BROWN and Gold!!
anthonybronco Offline
1st String

I Root For: WMU
BROWN and Gold!!
Hi Broncs!!

I post occasionally, and anyone who's followed my threads here and there knows I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD!!

Having said that, I can't stand our athletic teams wearing black.

I don't have a problem with the color black, not at all! It's just not the school color of Western Michigan University.

If I were a Purdue alum, I'd hate it if my Alma Mater's athletic teams wore Brown.

What's the difference?

I know we go through this time to time.

But other schools proudly don Brown and Gold -- and they're NOT ashamed of their school colors... in fact they seem to EMBRACE Brown! (What a concept!)

Why can't we?

Wyoming

Valpo

Southwest Minnesota State

Rowan U

Adelphi University

Can't we just except and love our school colors as much as we love Western?

Can the BMB and our sports teams stop wearing black?

I fairly sure the world won't end if we all sported Brown.

Besides, Brown and Gold actually looks pretty good in the stands (even when there aren't many fans)!

Ok, done venting...

Bring on Sparty!!

Wear BROWN!

Go Broncos!
06-05-2015 07:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU Broncos
RE: BROWN and Gold!!
One vote for.

Agree 100%, anthony.
06-06-2015 06:43 AM
WesternSkillet Online
All American

I Root For: LU
I agree. I like when the WMU embraces our school colors.

It was fun to see Southwest Minnesota State. I had no idea this school existed. Funny thing is their mascot is the mustang.

One other thing. I thought technically Wyoming's school colors were brown and yellow. Did this change at some point? Here is an article from Wyoming's website that explains the color origins (link here)
06-06-2015 07:57 AM
anthonybronco Offline
1st String

Looks like both Wyoming and Western have a fondness for the Brown Eyed Susans!

Good Move Cowboy Joe!

[Image: brwn_eyed_susan_bunch_top7_07byjan_mdres.jpg]

How can this possibly be a bad thing?

Onward BROWN and Gold!

Beat Sparty!
06-06-2015 11:38 AM
The Colonel Offline
1st String

I don't have a problem with the addition of black. I do have a problem with the complete exclusion of brown.

If I were to grade our major revenue sports on their incorporation of brown since the introduction of black in the late 1990s:

Football: B+. First Darnell, then Cubit, then P.J. - all have made an effort to include brown in the unis in some way. Could've been used more prominently at times, but I have no real big complaints here.

Hockey: D+. Very little use of brown in the unis over the years. The GLI throwback unis a couple of years back were a step in the right direction, but so much more could be done.

Basketball: D-. The only reason I don't go F here is because of the occasional home mid-1990s brown-and-gold throwbacks. When it comes to using brown with the regular current unis, though, brown has been and remains completely absent. Very disappointing.
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2015 11:32 PM by The Colonel.)
06-07-2015 11:31 PM
Charm City Bronco Offline
Fights for Justice

(06-07-2015 11:31 PM)The Colonel Wrote:  Hockey: D+. Very little use of brown in the unis over the years. The GLI throwback unis a couple of years back were a step in the right direction, but so much more could be done.

You do realize the hockey jerseys have been brown since the Blashill days, right?
06-08-2015 08:11 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SilentStryk09 Offline
Heisman

(06-08-2015 08:11 AM)Charm City Bronco Wrote:  
(06-07-2015 11:31 PM)The Colonel Wrote:  Hockey: D+. Very little use of brown in the unis over the years. The GLI throwback unis a couple of years back were a step in the right direction, but so much more could be done.

You do realize the hockey jerseys have been brown since the Blashill days, right?

I don't think they are. The ones they sell in the bookstore still that are the "authentic" dark jerseys are still black.
06-08-2015 09:05 AM
The Colonel Offline
1st String

(06-08-2015 08:11 AM)Charm City Bronco Wrote:  You do realize the hockey jerseys have been brown since the Blashill days, right?

[Image: RachelLewis-CCHAChampionshipGame-Michiga...012-38.jpg]

If this is brown and not black, then I must be color blind.
(This post was last modified: 06-08-2015 03:35 PM by The Colonel.)
06-08-2015 11:23 AM
Wheres_Waldo? Offline
Special Teams

somewhat related to this topic, my biggest issue is the complete lack of a consistent identity. Every team appears to use their own fonts and logos. Layer in the color issue, and it's a mess IMO. The Athletic Department should employ a brand ID program ASAP.
06-08-2015 03:05 PM
Fights for Justice

(06-08-2015 09:05 AM)SilentStryk09 Wrote:  I don't think they are. The ones they sell in the bookstore still that are the "authentic" dark jerseys are still black.

I'm not talking about the ones they sell in the bookstore, I'm talking about the ones they wear on the ice. They're brown, really dark brown, and they often appear black from far away. It's an optical illusion.
(This post was last modified: 06-08-2015 03:16 PM by Charm City Bronco.)
06-08-2015 03:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

CCB is right in that Seal Brown, which is (or was) Official School Color is a very dark shade of brown and can be hard to tell from black.

Don't know about Hockey jerseys specifically.
(This post was last modified: 06-08-2015 03:29 PM by MajorHoople.)
06-08-2015 03:29 PM
Advertisement

The Colonel Offline
1st String

(06-08-2015 03:05 PM)Wheres_Waldo? Wrote:  somewhat related to this topic, my biggest issue is the complete lack of a consistent identity. Every team appears to use their own fonts and logos. Layer in the color issue, and it's a mess IMO. The Athletic Department should employ a brand ID program ASAP.

I echo this 100%. Hard to come down too hard on the coaches of various sports when, as an athletic program, we're using multiple logos and inconsistent school colors across the board.

There's probably not a D-I program in the country that's been as inconsistent as us when it comes to this.
(This post was last modified: 06-08-2015 03:39 PM by The Colonel.)
06-08-2015 03:38 PM
WesternSkillet Online
All American

I Root For: LU
(06-08-2015 03:38 PM)The Colonel Wrote:  
(06-08-2015 03:05 PM)Wheres_Waldo? Wrote:  somewhat related to this topic, my biggest issue is the complete lack of a consistent identity. Every team appears to use their own fonts and logos. Layer in the color issue, and it's a mess IMO. The Athletic Department should employ a brand ID program ASAP.

I echo this 100%. Hard to come down too hard on the coaches of various sports when, as an athletic program, we're using multiple logos and inconsistent school colors across the board.

There's probably not a D-I program in the country that's been as inconsistent as us when it comes to this.

I agree. Let's have some brand consistency in the athletic department. I thought I read a while ago that Kathy B. wanted to have the sport teams all have the logo with a the W behind the Bronco. Fleck wanted to completely change the culture and that killed the logo.
06-08-2015 06:33 PM
anthonybronco Offline
1st String

(06-06-2015 06:43 AM)MajorHoople Wrote:  One vote for.

Agree 100%, anthony.

(06-06-2015 07:57 AM)WesternSkillet Wrote:  I agree. I like when the WMU embraces our school colors.

It was fun to see Southwest Minnesota State. I had no idea this school existed. Funny thing is their mascot is the mustang.

One other thing. I thought technically Wyoming's school colors were brown and yellow. Did this change at some point? Here is an article from Wyoming's website that explains the color origins (link here)

(06-07-2015 11:31 PM)The Colonel Wrote:  I don't have a problem with the addition of black. I do have a problem with the complete exclusion of brown.

If I were to grade our major revenue sports on their incorporation of brown since the introduction of black in the late 1990s:

Football: B+. First Darnell, then Cubit, then P.J. - all have made an effort to include brown in the unis in some way. Could've been used more prominently at times, but I have no real big complaints here.

Hockey: D+. Very little use of brown in the unis over the years. The GLI throwback unis a couple of years back were a step in the right direction, but so much more could be done.

Basketball: D-. The only reason I don't go F here is because of the occasional home mid-1990s brown-and-gold throwbacks. When it comes to using brown with the regular current unis, though, brown has been and remains completely absent. Very disappointing.

(06-08-2015 11:23 AM)The Colonel Wrote:  
(06-08-2015 08:11 AM)Charm City Bronco Wrote:  You do realize the hockey jerseys have been brown since the Blashill days, right?

[Image: RachelLewis-CCHAChampionshipGame-Michiga...012-38.jpg]

If this is brown and not black, then I must be color blind.

It is difficult to tell whether it's Brown or black.
06-10-2015 07:24 AM
anthonybronco Offline
1st String

Completely agree... in A2, the "Block M" is consistent throughout the athletic department and all of its teams...

Pretty straight forward -- as it should be!
06-10-2015 07:27 AM
Wheres_Waldo? Offline
Special Teams

Forget who came up with the logo, IMO the ghost Bronco logo is the best logo currently in use by the university or athletic department. I would adopt the font from the header of the athletic website, with the exception of I would invert the M instead of using the M as is, as the required font for all athletic department uses. In addition, I would require every sport to incorporate the ghost logo in to every uniform worn by any team. Finally, I would require every team to have 1 set of uniforms in the traditional Brown & Gold colors.

Licensing would be a huge push. I would part ways with the company running the online store and turn it over to someone locally, with clear financial requirements (ie guaranteed royalties). This would force the athletic department and service provider to work closer in building the brand and subsequent sales.
06-10-2015 08:35 AM
Advertisement

The Colonel Offline
1st String

Many schools have updated their overall athletic branding in recent years. Michigan State is one example:

- All of MSU's athletic programs wear a darker shade of green now (compared to before when some wore kelly green and others wore dark green).
- All of MSU's athletic programs generally use the same "Michigan State Spartans" lettering font on their jerseys.
- Probably most prominently, all of MSU's athletic programs began using the Spartan head logo as the dominant university logo. Before, some were using the Spartan head logo; others were using the block S. Now, you almost never see the block S. (I think the football team now uses the block S as one of its incentive stickers on the helmets).

Obviously, Nike had a major role in that overhaul, and a Bronco overhaul probably wouldn't be nearly as extensive. We could definitely use more consistency within our athletic programs, though.
(This post was last modified: 06-10-2015 02:58 PM by The Colonel.)
06-10-2015 02:56 PM
Fights for Justice

Who gives a flying crap about logo consistency? Msu pissed all over its 30 year and also most successful era in hockey by getting rid of the hockey script in favor of the god awful hockey jerseys with the spartan head. You guys are nuts if you think logo consistency will result in additional sales or exposure. We're WESTERN.
06-10-2015 06:37 PM
The Colonel Offline
1st String

When I watch the "Bottom Line" ticker (score updates) on one of the ESPN networks, I see three different Bronco logos: one for football (the new P.J. logo with the W on the end of the mane), one for basketball (the W with the Bronco head going across it), and one for hockey (the Bronco head with "Broncos" underneath). We have to be one of the only schools in the country with multiple logos for updates like these.

I agree that, for the most part, it would make little (if any) difference in terms of sales of Bronco gear. This doesn't mean that the university couldn't be doing a better job in terms of branding. You're cool with the status quo. Agree to disagree.

As for branding, the MSU example I cited is just one of many that could be used. I'm sure there are people in other places who don't like some of the changes their schools have made. For example, here in Missouri, there are some here who don't like that the school markets its athletic teams exclusively now as "Mizzou" instead of using "Missouri" as some had in the past.

I would argue, though, that there's little-to-no connection between MSU going away from the traditional hockey script and the fact that they suck now. Just as there's no little-to-no connection between MSU football changing the uniform design/helmet stickers and the fact that they are very good now.
06-10-2015 10:51 PM
Fights for Justice

(06-10-2015 10:51 PM)The Colonel Wrote:  I would argue, though, that there's little-to-no connection between MSU going away from the traditional hockey script and the fact that they suck now. Just as there's no little-to-no connection between MSU football changing the uniform design/helmet stickers and the fact that they are very good now.

Of course there isn't. But frankly it's insulting. The high point of MSU hockey was the 30 year period when they had the script. That represents MSU hockey success. To pi55 all over that legacy in the name of logo consistence is just stupid.
06-11-2015 10:08 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.