Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

On their wedding day, turned away by NC magistrates
Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12
On their wedding day, turned away by NC magistrates
But when we walked into that government office together, we were told that the magistrate on duty wouldn’t give us a marriage license. I was flabbergasted. We had planned everything, we had all our paperwork and we were legally eligible to get married.

So why wouldn’t he marry us? The reason, it turned out, was because Thomas is African-American, and I am white. The magistrate told us that marrying an interracial couple went against his religious beliefs. Our happy day quickly turned into a
nightmare.

This year, when I learned that legislators in Raleigh were pushing a law that would allow magistrates to refuse to marry couples on religious grounds, I felt the pain of that day all over again. Senate Bill 2 would give magistrates the ability to discriminate against couples exactly the same way they discriminated against Thomas and me almost 40 years ago. Gov. Pat McCrory vetoed the bill after it was passed by the legislature, but the Senate has already overridden his veto, and the House could do the same.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/opinion/op-e...rylink=cpy
06-04-2015 09:47 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TheEagleWay Offline
POWER OVERWHELMING

I Root For: TheNatCapital
RE: On their wedding day, turned away by NC magistrates
I'm guessing it is state by state on the timelines to get a license, I know in Georgia we had to go ahead of time to get ours done.

I'm sorry, but religious beliefs should not come in to play when you are a public servant. Carry out the law and nothing more.
06-04-2015 09:53 AM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(06-04-2015 09:53 AM)TheEagleWay Wrote:  I'm guessing it is state by state on the timelines to get a license, I know in Georgia we had to go ahead of time to get ours done.

I'm sorry, but religious beliefs should not come in to play when you are a public servant. Carry out the law and nothing more.

That was our governor's belief, so he (a republican) vetoed the bill. If you don't want to perform your duties, get a private sector job.

The senate overrode him. The house has to as well for it to pass. It'll probably pass, but it should be closer than the senate race.

NC politics are all sorts of ****** anyway. In the last election, 60% of votes for congress went to democrats, yet only 3 of the 13 representatives elected were democrats. Our districts are gerrymandered to hell.
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2015 09:59 AM by Niner National.)
06-04-2015 09:58 AM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
Fvcked Up ! Race does Not fall under religious beliefs. I Feel bad for the Couple.
06-04-2015 10:04 AM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

(06-04-2015 10:04 AM)CardFan1 Wrote:  Fvcked Up ! Race does Not fall under religious beliefs. I Feel bad for the Couple.

Maybe not your religious beliefs but other people's religions maybe.

Which is why the current bill in N.C. should not pass.
06-04-2015 10:11 AM
200yrs2late Offline
Resident Parrothead

I Root For: East Carolina
Moral of the story.... don't wait until your wedding day to pick up your marriage license.
06-04-2015 10:24 AM
Advertisement

Fitbud Offline
Banned

(06-04-2015 10:24 AM)200yrs2late Wrote:  Moral of the story.... don't wait until your wedding day to pick up your marriage license.

Wow. Just wow.
06-04-2015 11:12 AM
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
They said they went to the magistrate to get a marriage license. Then they said the magistrate wouldnt marry them because they were mixed race. Did they get a marriage license, or not? Getting a license is different from getting married.
06-04-2015 11:14 AM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
(06-04-2015 10:11 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  
(06-04-2015 10:04 AM)CardFan1 Wrote:  Fvcked Up ! Race does Not fall under religious beliefs. I Feel bad for the Couple.

Maybe not your religious beliefs but other people's religions maybe.

Which is why the current bill in N.C. should not pass.

Adults should not have to get permission to share each others assets...from any one. A legal contract between the two parties is all one should need. Therefore...I oppose any and all laws such as this.
06-04-2015 11:15 AM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

(06-04-2015 11:14 AM)UofMstateU Wrote:  They said they went to the magistrate to get a marriage license. Then they said the magistrate wouldnt marry them because they were mixed race. Did they get a marriage license, or not? Getting a license is different from getting married.

I thought you needed a marriage licence to get married.

They fought it and were able to get it three years later.

1976 people 197604-jawdrop
06-04-2015 11:16 AM
Fo Shizzle Offline

Balance of Power Contest

Same here. Someone should kick that magistrate in the nuts.
06-04-2015 11:16 AM
Advertisement

shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

I Root For: Southern Miss
Government permission to get "married" is inherently absurd. It's nothing more than a piece of paper that gets you a tax break.

Gay, straight, black, white, whatever....everyone needs the government's permission to get "married." Not only that, you have to pay them to do it.

Let that sink in for a second.
06-04-2015 11:17 AM
200yrs2late Offline
Resident Parrothead

I Root For: East Carolina
(06-04-2015 11:12 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  
(06-04-2015 10:24 AM)200yrs2late Wrote:  Moral of the story.... don't wait until your wedding day to pick up your marriage license.

Wow. Just wow.

As much planning as goes into a wedding do you think it's prudent to wait till the wedding day to pick up the license? It's just common sense. I'm not condoning the actions of the magistrate, but any number of issues could have come up that prevented the couple from getting their license.
06-04-2015 11:21 AM
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I wish they would get their story straight. Were they denied a license? Or were they denied marriage? Which is it?
06-04-2015 11:24 AM
Fo Shizzle Offline

Balance of Power Contest
(06-04-2015 11:17 AM)shiftyeagle Wrote:  Government permission to get "married" is inherently absurd. It's nothing more than a piece of paper that gets you a tax break.

Gay, straight, black, white, whatever....everyone needs the government's permission to get "married." Not only that, you have to pay them to do it.

Let that sink in for a second.

Slaves on a comfortable plantation. The reason the government does this is to be able to track accurately your labor and then borrow against it. Every dime the government borrows uses your future labor as collateral for repayment.
06-04-2015 11:24 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(06-04-2015 11:16 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  
(06-04-2015 11:14 AM)UofMstateU Wrote:  They said they went to the magistrate to get a marriage license. Then they said the magistrate wouldnt marry them because they were mixed race. Did they get a marriage license, or not? Getting a license is different from getting married.

I thought you needed a marriage licence to get married.

They fought it and were able to get it three years later.

1976 people 197604-jawdrop

Back then there were laws on the books, in many states or locales, against interracial marriage, why are you surprised about this?
06-04-2015 11:29 AM
Advertisement

SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(06-04-2015 11:24 AM)UofMstateU Wrote:  I wish they would get their story straight. Were they denied a license? Or were they denied marriage? Which is it?

I think denied marriage by a magistrate.
06-04-2015 11:29 AM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
This is messed up.
06-04-2015 12:16 PM
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

(06-04-2015 11:29 AM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  
(06-04-2015 11:24 AM)UofMstateU Wrote:  I wish they would get their story straight. Were they denied a license? Or were they denied marriage? Which is it?

I think denied marriage by a magistrate.

Thats what it looks like. I've found other articles that stated they had received a marriage license from another county, but that these two magistrates in this county wouldnt marry them.
06-04-2015 12:41 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
(06-04-2015 09:58 AM)Niner National Wrote:  
(06-04-2015 09:53 AM)TheEagleWay Wrote:  I'm guessing it is state by state on the timelines to get a license, I know in Georgia we had to go ahead of time to get ours done.

That was our governor's belief, so he (a republican) vetoed the bill. If you don't want to perform your duties, get a private sector job.

The senate overrode him. The house has to as well for it to pass. It'll probably pass, but it should be closer than the senate race.

NC politics are all sorts of ****** anyway. In the last election, 60% of votes for congress went to democrats, yet only 3 of the 13 representatives elected were democrats. Our districts are gerrymandered to hell.

Exactly. The GOP cannot win elections based upon one person one vote, so they have to play games.

There are fixes...

1) The Oregon plan. In Oregon, starting next year, the state will automatically register all of its' citizens to vote (unless they opt out).

2) A constitutional amendment to stop gerrymandering. This would be hard to engender, but this would stop it. Keep our system of districts and 'first past the post' by institute runoffs for all major offices AND allow for extra seats to be provided to a party if that party wins more votes than the majority party but does not receive the majority of seats.
06-04-2015 04:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.