Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If I were Grizz GM article ...
Bookmark and Share
HometownTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
If I were Grizz GM article ...
Click to read here

Interesting read. Not sure I agree with all the moves the author suggests though.

Any move that doesn't allow for Jordan Adams to be the backup 2 better provide us with a heck of an alternative - not Evan Fournier.

I don't think we need to move Green. I'd focus on moving Lee.

I agree that Kosta is gone and Alexi Ajinca would be a nice signing (posted that here days ago - along with some other names he mentioned). Some of the other free agents mentioned in this article have expressed they would like to stay put.

All in all, solid write-up.
06-03-2015 03:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mairving Offline
Ignant Homer

RE: If I were Grizz GM article ...
(06-03-2015 03:09 PM)HometownTiger Wrote:  Click to read here

Interesting read. Not sure I agree with all the moves the author suggests though.

Any move that doesn't allow for Jordan Adams to be the backup 2 better provide us with a heck of an alternative - not Evan Fournier.

I agree that Kosta is gone and Alexi Ajinca would be a nice signing (posted that here days ago - along with some other names he mentioned). Some of the other free agents mentioned in this article have expressed they would like to stay put.

I would rather move Green than Lee. Lee is still way too timid in shooting the ball. He has become better and is also a decent defender. Trading Green for Prince was worth it but I don't think he really added much value to this team. I would rather have Deng or Affalo than Green. My dream would be to get Wes Matthews but that isn't likely to happen.
06-03-2015 04:18 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tigers0830 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(06-03-2015 04:18 PM)mairving Wrote:  
(06-03-2015 03:09 PM)HometownTiger Wrote:  Click to read here

I would rather move Green than Lee. Lee is still way too timid in shooting the ball. He has become better and is also a decent defender. Trading Green for Prince was worth it but I don't think he really added much value to this team. I would rather have Deng or Affalo than Green. My dream would be to get Wes Matthews but that isn't likely to happen.

If we have to give up Lee to move Green then so be it, but of all the players, the Grizz should move Green. I wouldn't mind Deng or Dunleavy. I would love to have Wes or Danny Green.
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2015 09:49 AM by tigers0830.)
06-03-2015 04:41 PM
bsp34 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Mississippi St.
I'm all for moving Green. It seemed like a great move at the deadline, but turned out to be garbage. The Batum move intrigues me and I think I'd pull the trigger on that.
06-04-2015 08:24 AM
Advertisement

HometownTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-04-2015 08:24 AM)bsp34 Wrote:  I'm all for moving Green. It seemed like a great move at the deadline, but turned out to be garbage. The Batum move intrigues me and I think I'd pull the trigger on that.

I've detailed in other threads why I think Jeff Green is undervalued by a lot of the people on this board. I don't think the trade "turned out to be garbage". But I am apparently in the minority...

The Batum/Fournier for Lee/Green trade seems like a complete wash to me. The stats basically wash out. I guess contract/length comes into play (Fournier) but I don't see the on-court benefit.
06-04-2015 09:57 AM
bsp34 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Mississippi St.
he was brought in to help push us over the edge to being a contender and he completely disappeared in the playoffs.
06-04-2015 11:00 AM
TigerNK Offline
Special Teams

Green was hurt for the last 2-3 weeks of the season and the playoffs. Back spasms and pain do not go well with any position, but especially guys like Green who rely on athleticism to slash to the basket. Check out Green's March production and see if you still think we should trade him.

The hard reality for this town is that for this team to take a step forward, we will have to move one or both of Zbo and TA. The future of the team is Mike and Marc. Holding on to Zbo and TA until they are completely past their prime is a good way to become a lottery team in 3 years. I have no doubt the front office is shopping TA for a 1st round draft pick.

Green and Lee can both be highly effective players in a more open offense that actually allows for them to get to the rim. You can't do that very easily when the other team's defensive strategy is to clog the paint and double team Zbo. Zbo can be a highly effective 6th man, and his contract is a good enough deal to make that work for both parties. Whether ZBo would want to do that or not is another story.
06-04-2015 11:16 AM
Advertisement

tigers0830 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(06-04-2015 09:57 AM)HometownTiger Wrote:  
(06-04-2015 08:24 AM)bsp34 Wrote:  I'm all for moving Green. It seemed like a great move at the deadline, but turned out to be garbage. The Batum move intrigues me and I think I'd pull the trigger on that.

I've detailed in other threads why I think Jeff Green is undervalued by a lot of the people on this board. I don't think the trade "turned out to be garbage". But I am apparently in the minority...

The Batum/Fournier for Lee/Green trade seems like a complete wash to me. The stats basically wash out. I guess contract/length comes into play (Fournier) but I don't see the on-court benefit.
Fournier is a 38% 3pt shooter compared to 34% for Green. That might not seem like a big difference, but it's a decent difference between the two. Grizz don't have a single offensive that off the bench that can stretch the floor. Fournier would provide that opportunity better than Green.

Green is a super athletic player who has a very limited offensive game and is just ok defensively. He doesn't help the Grizz if he can't stretch the floor
06-04-2015 11:42 AM
tigers0830 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(06-04-2015 11:16 AM)TigerNK Wrote:  Green was hurt for the last 2-3 weeks of the season and the playoffs. Back spasms and pain do not go well with any position, but especially guys like Green who rely on athleticism to slash to the basket. Check out Green's March production and see if you still think we should trade him.

The hard reality for this town is that for this team to take a step forward, we will have to move one or both of Zbo and TA. The future of the team is Mike and Marc. Holding on to Zbo and TA until they are completely past their prime is a good way to become a lottery team in 3 years. I have no doubt the front office is shopping TA for a 1st round draft pick.

Green and Lee can both be highly effective players in a more open offense that actually allows for them to get to the rim. You can't do that very easily when the other team's defensive strategy is to clog the paint and double team Zbo. Zbo can be a highly effective 6th man, and his contract is a good enough deal to make that work for both parties. Whether ZBo would want to do that or not is another story.

Injury or no injury Green did not provide the push that was needed. Grizz didn't need a slasher tour guy at the sf position. They needed someone to stretch the floor. Green can't shoot and therefore doesn't stretch the floor.

Would it be great to find guys who are athletic and can stretch the floor, of course. Green just isn't that guy. His hand is driving to the rim and eventually as teams airways do against the Grizz they clog the paint. That right there eliminated Green.

The core 4 isn't the issue. It just isn't. The issue is, not having a consistent shooter at the 2 and 3 positions. Also not having a legit backup 4 has hurt.

The core 4 is good enough to win a title is the pieces around them that haven't been that good.
06-04-2015 11:49 AM
tigers0830 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Don't get me wrong I like Jeff Green, but the final straw for me was Game 5 against Portland. Green had just checked in the game and Zach was hot it in the first quarter. Green gets the ball near the top of the key and has an easy entry pass to Zach.

Common sense would say give it to Zach and let him work. Common sense didn't register with Green instead he held the ball and settled for a jumper and missed.

That is the stuff that Rudy did.
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2015 11:56 AM by tigers0830.)
06-04-2015 11:55 AM
Advertisement

HometownTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-04-2015 11:42 AM)tigers0830 Wrote:  

Fournier is a 38% 3pt shooter compared to 34% for Green. That might not seem like a big difference, but it's a decent difference between the two. Grizz don't have a single offensive that off the bench that can stretch the floor. Fournier would provide that opportunity better than Green.

Green is a super athletic player who has a very limited offensive game and is just ok defensively. He doesn't help the Grizz if he can't stretch the floor

Fournier would be dealth for Lee, Batum for Green. Break it down that way and it's essentially a wash.
06-04-2015 02:18 PM
HometownTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-04-2015 11:49 AM)tigers0830 Wrote:  
(06-04-2015 11:16 AM)TigerNK Wrote:  Green was hurt for the last 2-3 weeks of the season and the playoffs. Back spasms and pain do not go well with any position, but especially guys like Green who rely on athleticism to slash to the basket. Check out Green's March production and see if you still think we should trade him.

Injury or no injury Green did not provide the push that was needed. Grizz didn't need a slasher tour guy at the sf position. They needed someone to stretch the floor. Green can't shoot and therefore doesn't stretch the floor.

Would it be great to find guys who are athletic and can stretch the floor, of course. Green just isn't that guy. His hand is driving to the rim and eventually as teams airways do against the Grizz they clog the paint. That right there eliminated Green.

The core 4 isn't the issue. It just isn't. The issue is, not having a consistent shooter at the 2 and 3 positions. Also not having a legit backup 4 has hurt.

The core 4 is good enough to win a title is the pieces around them that haven't been that good.

Green is best at attacking the rim, no argument there. That isn't a top priority for this team - on the wing -, I agree.

BUT, he spent a lot of time at the 4 (as a 2nd unit player) and I think that's where he can help! Especially with a full off-season with the team. An atheltic, reserve 4 that can shoot 34% from 3 is a pretty solid asset to have.
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2015 02:24 PM by HometownTiger.)
06-04-2015 02:24 PM
tigers0830 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(06-04-2015 02:24 PM)HometownTiger Wrote:  

Green is best at attacking the rim, no argument there. That isn't a top priority for this team - on the wing -, I agree.

BUT, he spent a lot of time at the 4 (as a 2nd unit player) and I think that's where he can help! Especially with a full off-season with the team. An atheltic, reserve 4 that can shoot 34% from 3 is a pretty solid asset to have.

It's not really the 3 that bothers me. It's his mid range game.
He has zero mid range game. He can't even make wide open 15ft jumpers. His ineffectiveness really showed in the playoffs. He just isn't able to spread the floor like the Grizz hoped he would.
06-04-2015 02:31 PM
Advertisement

tigers0830 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(06-04-2015 02:18 PM)HometownTiger Wrote:  
(06-04-2015 11:42 AM)tigers0830 Wrote:  

Fournier would be dealth for Lee, Batum for Green. Break it down that way and it's essentially a wash.

Fournier for Lee might be a wash, but I'd take Batum over Green. Batum is a career 36% the point shower not great, but not bad. What makes him better at that than Green is the fact he has had really one down year shooting the ball and that was this past season.

Batum has an eFG% of 53% while Green is at 48%. That's decent gap between the two. Batum is a better shooter than Green. I haven't watched enough of Batum to know about his defense, but he can't be any worse than Green.

Green is a average player that has a very limited offensive game
06-04-2015 02:41 PM
TigerNK Offline
Special Teams

The core 4 may not be the problem, but adding consistent threats at the wings is going to cost us. What do we have to offer? You absolutely can't trade Jordan Adams. He is literally the only future starter on our bench. Leuer and Calathes can be dropped, but that's only $2 million in salary. Kosta will likely leave if we resign Gasol, but you have to go get another decent backup center.

I love TA more than anyone. I bet we have at least 4 of his jerseys in our house. I just don't think a small market team with only 2 youngish star players can afford to pay (and start) a one way player, especially when that one way player can't shoot and misses layups on a consistent basis.
06-04-2015 02:42 PM
HometownTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-04-2015 02:31 PM)tigers0830 Wrote:  
(06-04-2015 02:24 PM)HometownTiger Wrote:  

It's not really the 3 that bothers me. It's his mid range game.
He has zero mid range game. He can't even make wide open 15ft jumpers. His ineffectiveness really showed in the playoffs. He just isn't able to spread the floor like the Grizz hoped he would.

Now, I do agree with you there. I think this off-season the analytics guys will sit down with Jeff and bring that to light.

For instance - Jeff Green shoots 43% from corner 3. BUT, those only account for 29% of his long range shots. 58% of his 3s come from either wing, where he shoots a dismal 27%. Outside of layup/dunks - the wing 3s are his two most attempted shot types. THAT has to change. How do you change that? You play him at the 4 (3s play on the wing mostly) and stick him in the corner. He shoots a corner 3 or he drives to the hoop (39% of his overall shot attempts were at the basket and he made 55% of them).

My whole point - JEFF GREEN IS TOO TALENTED TO WRITE OFF. WE JUST HAVE TO USE HIM IN AREAS WHERE HE CAN THRIVE. Corner 3 & drive - stretch 4 off the bench. He has shown the willingness to play a reserve role. if he can make some slight changes to shot selection he can REALLY help this team!
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2015 02:49 PM by HometownTiger.)
06-04-2015 02:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

photo cincinnati.png  photo connecticut.png  photo east_carolina.png  photo houston.png  photo memphis.png  photo navy.png  photo smu.png  photo temple.png  photo tulane.png  photo central_florida.png  photo south_florida.png
 photo louisville.png  photo rutgers.png

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.