CBSSN to air MAC games & other TV speculation
Bookmark and Share
BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: UAB

DonatorsDonators
CBSSN to air MAC games & other TV speculation
https://twitter.com/mattsarz/status/606112298411958272

Quote:CBSSN is sublicensing MAC content from ESPN. Six CFB games & seven MBK games this year. 12 & 12 next year. Sounds like C-USA replacement.

Doesn't look like CBS values their C-USA content.
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2015 07:44 AM by BeliefBlazer.)
06-03-2015 10:10 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WKU
RE: CBS Sports Net to air MAC games
What it sounds like is they can get the games cheaper from espn than dealing directly with a conference and espn can recoup most of their money spent on the MAC
06-03-2015 10:13 AM
ThreeifbyLightning Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Univ of Middle Tennessee
(06-03-2015 10:13 AM)WKUYG Wrote:  What it sounds like is they can get the games cheaper from espn than dealing directly with a conference and espn can recoup most of their money spent on the MAC

Yep.

Just on production costs alone. It says more than anything that ESPN doesn't value the MAC.
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2015 10:16 AM by ThreeifbyLightning.)
06-03-2015 10:15 AM
FlyHawk98 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall
Who knows, it could be more Tues and Weds games.

Either way, good for the MAC.
06-03-2015 10:16 AM
Superanjario Offline
2nd String

I Root For: The Herd
Looks like CBS is out of the direct CUSA business. I think it's more of a model change for CBS than anything. Rather than directly buying rights, they can buy leftovers from ESPN at waaaaay cheaper price. Maybe they can do the same with CUSA stuff in the future?

Maybe we see Fox buy all rights with ASN chipping in at some level next time?
06-03-2015 10:22 AM
mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

I Root For: SU, Ariz. St.
(06-03-2015 10:16 AM)FlyHawk98 Wrote:  Who knows, it could be more Tues and Weds games.

Either way, good for the MAC.

http://mac-sports.com/news/2015/6/2/FB_0602151727.aspx

For '15, the games will be two Thursday night games, three Saturday games and a Black Friday game. I believe ESPN is going to be keeping the midweek stuff because that's where they derive the most value for their MAC content.

They could certainly keep C-USA around, but the content could either be mostly weeknights in FB and odd times in MBK.
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2015 10:41 AM by mattsarz.)
06-03-2015 10:38 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Heisman

(06-03-2015 10:22 AM)Superanjario Wrote:  Looks like CBS is out of the direct CUSA business.

This was made clear about this time last year.

CBS is not a pre-requisite to our TV success.
06-03-2015 10:45 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(06-03-2015 10:22 AM)Superanjario Wrote:  Looks like CBS is out of the direct CUSA business. I think it's more of a model change for CBS than anything. Rather than directly buying rights, they can buy leftovers from ESPN at waaaaay cheaper price. Maybe they can do the same with CUSA stuff in the future?

Yup. I would say CBS-Sports has replaced those open CUSA slots with MAC content. All that really means is CBS-Sports is not an active bidder for their current CUSA package. That's not really a big surprise. I think most everyone pretty much expected that after they failed to pick their full allotment of games last year. The real question is---who else is lurking out there to bid against Fox? You need at least one other bidder to set up a dynamic that would maximize value. If there is just one bidder, its tough to get full value. NBC could be a wild card here. Frankly, NBC-Sports would be a step up from CBS-Sports Network as it has more actual subscribers (about 80 million vs 55 million for CBSSN).
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2015 11:06 AM by Attackcoog.)
06-03-2015 11:02 AM
Heisman

(06-03-2015 11:02 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(06-03-2015 10:22 AM)Superanjario Wrote:  Looks like CBS is out of the direct CUSA business. I think it's more of a model change for CBS than anything. Rather than directly buying rights, they can buy leftovers from ESPN at waaaaay cheaper price. Maybe they can do the same with CUSA stuff in the future?

Yup. I would say CBS-Sports has replaced those open CUSA slots with MAC content. All that really means is CBS-Sports is not an active bidder for their current CUSA package. That's not really a big surprise. I think most everyone pretty much expected that after they failed to pick their full allotment of games last year. The real question is---who else is lurking out there to bid against Fox? You need at least one other bidder to set up a dynamic that would maximize value. If there is just one bidder, its tough to get full value. NBC could be a wild card here. Frankly, NBC-Sports would be a step up from CBS-Sports Network as it has more actual subscribers (about 80 million vs 55 million for CBSSN).

We've had this discussion about 10 times. Feel free to go look them up.
06-03-2015 11:13 AM
Superanjario Offline
2nd String

I Root For: The Herd
(06-03-2015 11:13 AM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  

We've had this discussion about 10 times. Feel free to go look them up.

It would be wonderful to split between Fox and NBCSN, but I haven't heard anything about NBCSN getting involved. I think CUSA needs to get creative and come up with a Thursday/Friday/Start of season/Black Friday package. That's the only way I see CBS interested. I only think NBCSN would be interested if they got top pick.

My hope is that Fox will guarantee 12 or so games on FS1 and 30+ games on FSN, FS2 (if it exists), and FCS for about the same $ we got last time from them. ASN likely gets the rest for ?$. Then again, maybe CBS, NBCSN, and ESPN get involved and make things interesting? I don't think ESPN has much room for CUSA other than on non-traditional nights. That's a nonstarter for CUSA.

I wonder if Sinclair still has plans to launch ASN as an actual network?
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2015 11:23 AM by Superanjario.)
06-03-2015 11:17 AM
monarchman Offline
1st String

I Root For: Old Dominion
Not surprising, but fewer networks bidding for CUSA content will only hurt in payment.
06-03-2015 11:25 AM
Advertisement

Heisman

(06-03-2015 11:25 AM)monarchman Wrote:  Not surprising, but fewer networks bidding for CUSA content will only hurt in payment.

Not necessarily.
06-03-2015 11:30 AM
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
CBSSN is becoming a player for secondary inventory from espn. There really is no more room on an espn platform anyway. Fox and ASN look like the only outlets for C-USA over the next few years. I think our money will take a hit but hopefully not too big of one.
06-03-2015 11:59 AM
LaTechBanjo Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: LaTech
(06-03-2015 11:59 AM)MinerInWisconsin Wrote:  CBSSN is becoming a player for secondary inventory from espn. There really is no more room on an espn platform anyway. Fox and ASN look like the only outlets for C-USA over the next few years. I think our money will take a hit but hopefully not too big of one.

In all honesty,

I believe more damage is done to the conference brand by selling out to play on weeknights.

I'd rather be on less popular networks on Saturdays.
06-03-2015 12:29 PM
Cscollis Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: La Tech
Truthfully, I would prefer a smaller tv payment to having breakfast FB and mid week games. The individual schools will lose more from the attendance drop than gained in monies from TV. Soon all games will be televised via the web so schools can go back to traditional saturday afternoon or night games. Cable and Satellite TV will be dead in the next 10 years. All programing will be allacart if they survive. ESPN and all other cable provides will be shrinking once bundling is gone. Even the P5 are going to see there TV revenue drop like a rock when bundled cable is gone.

There are too many other outlets than cable and satellite that are competing for the entertainment dollar. Video games, netflix, ipad are going to kill off the traditional medium of TV and it cant come soon enough.
06-03-2015 12:32 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(06-03-2015 10:13 AM)WKUYG Wrote:  What it sounds like is they can get the games cheaper from espn than dealing directly with a conference and espn can recoup most of their money spent on the MAC

Assuming that ESPN distributes the cost of the rights fees across all the covered events (for simplicity sake using basketball and football only) the cost per is very low on an accounting basis.

The MAC receives $10 million that would cover aproximately 72 football games and 180 or so basketball. That works out to about $40k per event. For AAC it is about $72k per event.

CBS only owns the right to pick a select number of events. CBS pays about $350,000 per event from CUSA.

ESPN can sell the rights to AAC at $100k and carry that as profit for that game, they can sell a MAC event at $50k and make about a $10k profit on that game.

Any unused inventory goes ESPN3.

A bare bones broadcast will run up $70k or as low as $50k.

Say CBS makes $450k from a telecast of AAC or CUSA and $200k from MAC, the profit margin on AAC and MAC is going to be higher.

That's why ESPN is "buying the whole banana" they can carry the games on ESPN/ESPN2 at a high profit margin vs the rights fee for the game, they can resell some of the excess at an OK profit margin and then break even or carry a small loss on ESPN3 content, but they can use the increased ESPN3 content as leverage to hold or increase the carriage fee for ESPN3.

Some smart boys and girls working in Bristol.
06-03-2015 12:33 PM
Advertisement

UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators

^ this.
06-03-2015 12:41 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Afflicted Offline
Banned

I Root For: Rice and UH

Agree. I hope NBC-Sports makes a competitive bid against FOX. They need meaningful college football content and I know they could give CUSA some good time slots. I really hope they step up. It could be big for the conference.
06-03-2015 12:43 PM
mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

I Root For: SU, Ariz. St.
(06-03-2015 12:43 PM)Afflicted Wrote:  Agree. I hope NBC-Sports makes a competitive bid against FOX. They need meaningful college football content and I know they could give CUSA some good time slots. I really hope they step up. It could be big for the conference.

Never been very bullish on NBCSN. Have an alternate strategy. Lots of motorsports, particularly NASCAR starting next month through mid-November on a lot of Saturdays. They'll have rights to the Xfinity series and practice sessions that occupy a lot of Fridays & Saturdays.
06-03-2015 12:59 PM
WKUFan518 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
Why does FS2 suck? Can anyone answer that? Clear waste of a sports channel....
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2015 01:18 PM by WKUFan518.)
06-03-2015 01:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.