Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Sun Belt to evaluate expansion options within the next 30-45 days
8993 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: App State
Sun Belt to evaluate expansion options within the next 30-45 days
(06-02-2015 03:28 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  He's the Vice President of the Executive Committee of the Sun Belt

Made the claim that he thinks we can evaluate expansion options "within the next 30-45 days"

http://www.953theticket.com/?p=9879

The Sun Belt is looking to make some decisions on expansion within the next month to month and a half, based off of what the Arkansas State Chancellor/Vice President of the Executive Committee of the Sun Belt said in a radio interview.
06-02-2015 04:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
RE: Sun Belt to evaluate expansion options within the next 30-45 days
So exciting! Seems like there are candidates really thinking they're ready for this.

It's the Dukes' to lose, with MoSU probably right behind. I doubt EKU "got it together" within a year, and Coastal's probably only just getting started.
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2015 02:11 PM by The Cutter of Bish.)
06-02-2015 05:22 PM
MJG Offline
1st String

I Root For: U I , UMich, SC
I hope this means Coastal has a nice proposal .
Maybe they were waiting on UAB and are really only crossing Ts and dotting I's .
06-02-2015 06:10 PM
HawaiiMongoose Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
(06-02-2015 06:10 PM)MJG Wrote:  I hope this means Coastal has a nice proposal .
Maybe they were waiting on UAB and are really only crossing Ts and dotting I's .

My guess is that Coastal Carolina was being looked at by the Sun Belt in case CUSA took USA to replace UAB, leaving the Sun Belt with two holes to fill in its eastern division instead of one. With USA still safely in the fold, I think the Sun Belt is back to looking for a single all-sports addition in the east, and it seems most likely to me that EKU will get the nod over Coastal. (Unless JMU changes its mind and decides it would rather grab what will probably be the last ticket to FBS status for the next several years than remain at the FCS level.)
06-02-2015 08:40 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
My vote is with Coastal.

While they have a smaller stadium than EKU they can probably upgrade to SBC standards for less money than EKU.

South Carolina is a growing state that can support a 3rd FBS team.
06-02-2015 09:30 PM
ARSTATEFAN1986 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas State
(06-02-2015 08:40 PM)HawaiiMongoose Wrote:  
(06-02-2015 06:10 PM)MJG Wrote:  I hope this means Coastal has a nice proposal .

My guess is that Coastal Carolina was being looked at by the Sun Belt in case CUSA took USA to replace UAB, leaving the Sun Belt with two holes to fill in its eastern division instead of one. With USA still safely in the fold, I think the Sun Belt is back to looking for a single all-sports addition in the east, and it seems most likely to me that EKU will get the nod over Coastal. (Unless JMU changes its mind and decides it would rather grab what will probably be the last ticket to FBS status for the next several years than remain at the FCS level.)

JMU burned their bridge with the Sun Belt.
06-02-2015 09:33 PM
Advertisement

TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
Coastal will get you a bowl game (assuming the SC ban is lifted)
06-02-2015 10:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
Re: RE: Sun Belt to evaluate expansion options within the next 30-45 days
(06-02-2015 09:30 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  My vote is with Coastal.

While they have a smaller stadium than EKU they can probably upgrade to SBC standards for less money than EKU.

I can hardly believe EKU is being considered. Coastal is a better option in every way.
06-02-2015 10:58 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(06-02-2015 10:58 PM)shere khan Wrote:  
(06-02-2015 09:30 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  My vote is with Coastal.

I can hardly believe EKU is being considered. Coastal is a better option in every way.

EKU has a long history of football success. Coastal doesn't have much history in anything.

They may be a better option in a lot of ways, but EKU has a number of advantages.
06-02-2015 11:39 PM
Rabonchild Offline
1st String

I Root For: Charlotte
I grew up in Myrtle Beach SC and live in Lexington KY. The Myrtle Beach/Conway SC area's future and present is light years ahead of Richmond KY. If it's between just these two schools I would lean towards Coastal Carolina. However neither of the these schools are any where near as ready when it comes to resources, facilities, & commitment as Liberty
06-03-2015 01:23 AM
HawaiiMongoose Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
(06-03-2015 01:23 AM)Rabonchild Wrote:  I grew up in Myrtle Beach SC and live in Lexington KY. The Myrtle Beach/Conway SC area's future and present is light years ahead of Richmond KY. If it's between just these two schools I would lean towards Coastal Carolina. However neither of the these schools are any where near as ready when it comes to resources, facilities, & commitment as Liberty

I don't disagree that Coastal has more long-term upside than EKU. I just think EKU is in a little better position to get the nod because it will be ready to move up to FBS sooner.
06-03-2015 01:36 AM
Advertisement

MJG Offline
1st String

(06-03-2015 01:23 AM)Rabonchild Wrote:  I grew up in Myrtle Beach SC and live in Lexington KY. The Myrtle Beach/Conway SC area's future and present is light years ahead of Richmond KY. If it's between just these two schools I would lean towards Coastal Carolina. However neither of the these schools are any where near as ready when it comes to resources, facilities, & commitment as Liberty
that is true Liberty has what it takes except they don't want a private school.
No private school has received an FBS invitation.
They have a billion dollars in the bank and will outspend SBC schools.
06-03-2015 02:48 AM
MJG Offline
1st String

Coastal could join with a timetable for FBS say four years tops.
They could have the money pledged to expand the stadium the only hurdle.
Fly into Myrtle Beach and bus to APP ST perfect travel partner.
The Sun Belt can then have the desired twelve for basketball scheduling.
They are uncertain about a CCG but if desired U Mass could be added temporarily.
The SBC would then be able to wait and see which schools make improvements.
EKU is talking about a whole new stadium now.
Coastal has a new stadium that was built with easy expansion in mind.
They have suites a nice press box and a football operations center in the end zone.
I would love to see the plans for expansion to twenty thousand .
Mostly because I drive by it often and it was mentioned in the original press release.
They have had football twelve years and have a better program and better attendance than EKU.

Coastal is 95-49 with five playoff appearance including the last three in twelve years.
Coastal"s baseball program has thirteen NCAA appearances since 2001.
Coastal"s basketball four NCAA appearances including the last two.
coastal men's soccer twelve NCAA appearances.

JSU ,JMU and Liberty would be the better picks based on current stadium and attendance. None of those schools are being considered at this point with JMU bowing out.
06-03-2015 03:16 AM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
(06-02-2015 08:40 PM)HawaiiMongoose Wrote:  

Maybe not. It depends if the Big 12 takes 2 from AAC or go for 6. If they go to 6? 5 AAC and one MAC school could get called up.

East Carolina being gone, UCF, Cincinnati, USF, Memphis
Northern Illinois

Wayne State, Michigan to the MAC?
Dayton, Ohio?
Butler?
Southern Illinois?
Illinois State to the MAC?
Northern Iowa as well?

U. Mass., Southern Mississippi, FAU, FIU and Marshal to the AAC?

Arkansas State, Georgia Southern, South Alabama and James Madison to C-USA?

That would mean Sun Belt may have to line up 4 schools.

Coastal Carolina, Eastern Kentucky, Jacksonville State and Liberty or try and reproach Florida A&M, check with Chattanooga again.
They could offer Chattanooga and might have to offer East Tennessee State as a pair to entice Chattanooga to join.
06-03-2015 06:59 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cnelson203 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall; WVU
I would love to see the Sun Belt expand to at LEAST 12 all sports members. For those of you not watching the SB, what they have developed/are developing a very fine conference. Recent additions of Georgia Southern and Appalachian State are fitting right in with the top dogs in the conference of ULL and Arkansas State. Additionally Texas State is coming along very well.

Like ALL G5 conferences, including my own C-USA, there is a clear divide between the top and bottom tiers in football, in particular, but the Sun Belt's top tier can compete with most anyone. Personally, I'd like to see them go to 14 and add two in the west and one in the east (my choices would be NMSU and Missouri State plus Liberty in the east, but I'm pretty sure none of that will happen and I'm really sure that no Sun Belt fans is much interested in the opinions of a C-USA fan, anyway.) But I do hope they expand. I'm sure their choice will work for them...and that's all that matters.
06-03-2015 08:14 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
I think the Sun Belt should sit tight. There's no one who adds to the conference. Only another team to split the money and to split the athletes. I don't think its any coincidence the MAC had 6 ranked teams from 68 to 75 and then not another one for 20 years. They expanded from 6 to 10 with CMU, EMU, Ball St. and NIU who all recruited a similar area.

If they expand, it should be just NMSU who adds a strong basketball program.
06-03-2015 08:24 AM
Advertisement

MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(06-03-2015 08:24 AM)bullet Wrote:  I think the Sun Belt should sit tight. There's no one who adds to the conference. Only another team to split the money and to split the athletes. I don't think its any coincidence the MAC had 6 ranked teams from 68 to 75 and then not another one for 20 years. They expanded from 6 to 10 with CMU, EMU, Ball St. and NIU who all recruited a similar area.

Actually, since the Sunbelt hardly gets any money, there is no harm in expansion and can develop the conference into 2 good division by going to 14 for all members and 12 for football (which means Idaho isn't renewed).
06-03-2015 08:33 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
Reading the tea leaves...

Sometime between today and June 30, 2016 I think the Sun Belt will extend all sports to NMSU.
Sometime between today and May 31, 2016 the Sun Belt will inform Idaho that their football only affiliation is terminated at the conclusion of the 2017 season.
Sometime between December 6 this year and May 31, 2016 the Sun Belt will extend one, possibly two invitations to eastern FCS schools to join.

I believe the ultimate plan is 12 football members and 14 Olympic sport members.

I'm not sure they will add two FCS at the same time so there may be a period of playing 11/13 but the end game I think is 12/14
06-03-2015 09:21 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(06-03-2015 08:33 AM)MWC Tex Wrote:  
(06-03-2015 08:24 AM)bullet Wrote:  I think the Sun Belt should sit tight. There's no one who adds to the conference. Only another team to split the money and to split the athletes. I don't think its any coincidence the MAC had 6 ranked teams from 68 to 75 and then not another one for 20 years. They expanded from 6 to 10 with CMU, EMU, Ball St. and NIU who all recruited a similar area.

Actually, since the Sunbelt hardly gets any money, there is no harm in expansion and can develop the conference into 2 good division by going to 14 for all members and 12 for football (which means Idaho isn't renewed).

Going to 12 football 14 Olympic is basically revenue neutral. Sun Belt has a contract that expires June 30, 2020.

The league has opted to not exercise its renegotiation windows waiting to firm up the exact line-up.

Having 8 to 12 is irrelevant with the CFP primary money. Add a member money goes up to $12 million.

Performance money splitting one more way isn't that big of a deal.

If the Sun Belt gets the line-up it wants, it will be 2018 at the earliest before it is fully set (I'm assuming Idaho deleted after 2017 with new members in no earlier than 2017 in football).

Just a 10% increase in the TV deal would have the league made whole in expanding.
06-03-2015 09:28 AM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
I can't either CCU or EKU are being considered for FBS but if you're the Slumbelt I guess you can't be picky. Between the 2 CCU has a much better location and the better overall athletic program. CCU basketball is pretty solid and their baseball program is fantastic.
06-03-2015 09:44 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.