Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Cost of Attendance Article (HL and MAC)
Bookmark and Share
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
Cost of Attendance Article (HL and MAC)
http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/2...attendance

The one number I found most interesting is that Miami has 133 full scholarships.

I (and I'd guess many) didn't realize the heavy usage of partial scholarships in most sports (e.g., other than FB, and men's and women's basketball).

I'd be fascinated to know what usually constitutes a 'partial scholarship'. For example, free tuition but nothing else?

Also are a limited number of full scholarships given to 'prime recruits' in the non-revenue sports?
06-01-2015 01:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
RE: Cost of Attendance Article (HL and MAC)
http://www.emich.edu/finaid/process/cost.php

Can someone figure what EMU's number is?
07-06-2015 12:06 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

Good question.

It looks like an undergraduate pays about 2K in miscellaneous fees and expenses (I counted 4 line items, including transportation, personal, registration, and loan fees). I wonder if loan fees are applicable as athletes in revenue sports are on full scholarship.

I ignored tuition and fees and room and board. That is what an athletic scholarship should cover.
(This post was last modified: 07-06-2015 12:51 PM by emu steve.)
07-06-2015 12:31 PM
Advertisement

emussuperfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
(06-01-2015 01:31 PM)emu steve Wrote:  http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/2...attendance

The one number I found most interesting is that Miami has 133 full scholarships.

I (and I'd guess many) didn't realize the heavy usage of partial scholarships in most sports (e.g., other than FB, and men's and women's basketball).

I'd be fascinated to know what usually constitutes a 'partial scholarship'. For example, free tuition but nothing else?

Also are a limited number of full scholarships given to 'prime recruits' in the non-revenue sports?

Partials are usally books, hours, or housing.
07-06-2015 01:57 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
I don't know how accurate this is, but on the COA article on the main MAC board the answer for EMU is:

EMU is $2008
08-05-2015 12:18 PM
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

(08-05-2015 12:18 PM)emu79 Wrote:  I don't know how accurate this is, but on the COA article on the main MAC board the answer for EMU is:

EMU is $2008

To extend, 79's post:

If EMU is $2,008 and EMU uses 133 full scholarships (as does Miami, see 1st post), then the dollar amount would be 267K.

FB (85), women's basketball (15) and men's basketball (13) = 113 full scholarships.

How Miami gets to 133 (20 more than FB, and men's and women's basketball combined) I don't know.

Maybe a limited number of other athletes receive full scholarships. IDK (I don't know).
08-05-2015 01:57 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

To extend my comments: these nuggets on Cleveland State (a typical mid-major, not football school in the Horizon League, home, obviously to UDM and Oakland):

Two key points:

1): 11.5M athletic budget and a 10.5M deficit (not supported by revenues). Yes, HL schools lose a ton of money of athletics even w/out FB. Non-revenue sports are called 'non-revenue' for a reason. 03-idea

2). They will do 28 full COA for men's and women's basketball this coming year.

Quoting from the Crain's article:

'In February, Parry told Crain's that Cleveland State was looking at the cost of attendance from three perspectives, which would result in a budget hit ranging from $80,000 to $357,000 annually. The Vikings, whose $11,568,500 athletic budget in 2014-15 was almost $10.5 million greater than the athletic department's annual revenue, are going with the least costly option as the COA is implemented for the first time this fall.

Parry said the Vikings will award the cost of attendance — which he expects to be in the $2,900 range once the state passes its biennial budget prior to the June 30 deadline — to the 28 basketball players (13 men and 15 women) who receive scholarships.
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2015 02:04 PM by emu steve.)
08-05-2015 02:02 PM
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

According to this article, EMU will have COA of 555K. I refer to the table at the bottom of the article:

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/colleg.../31904839/
08-18-2015 03:41 PM
Pulltown Falcon Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(08-05-2015 01:57 PM)emu steve Wrote:  How Miami gets to 133 (20 more than FB, and men's and women's basketball combined) I don't know.

Hockey
08-19-2015 12:40 PM
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

(08-19-2015 12:40 PM)Pulltown Falcon Wrote:  
(08-05-2015 01:57 PM)emu steve Wrote:  How Miami gets to 133 (20 more than FB, and men's and women's basketball combined) I don't know.

Hockey

Ah, collegiate hockey. Something easy to escape EMU fans.
08-19-2015 02:08 PM
emussuperfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
other sports get scholarships. track gets 4, swimming 2 each men's and women, these are old numbers. soccer i don't know but at least 2, baseball and softball. these are divided up into partials halves quarters, hours, fees, and books supplies. each sport gets at least one.
08-22-2015 02:22 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.