Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Why is Stony Brook building FBS facilities when no G5 conference is interested?
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
Why is Stony Brook building FBS facilities when no G5 conference is interested?
http://brook.land/2015/05/athletics-unve...year-plan/

With JMU, Liberty, Towson, Delaware, maybe Villanova, Stony Brook, Albany, UMass, Youngstown St, and UNH, a nice east coast conference can be formed. Stony Brook has long expressed FBS ambitions.

Throw in Kennesaw St and Jacksonville St further south and it starts looking like the FBS conference the CAA was going to start before ODU and Ga St bolted and Charlotte and App St got away.
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2015 06:45 AM by NoDak.)
05-30-2015 06:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
RE: Why is Stony Brook building FBS facilities when no G5 conference is interested?
As a UConn fan, this concerns me. I don't mind the competition and I like the idea of building up college football in the Northeast. But talk of Stony Brook, Albany, Towson, and Youngstown State could scare the P5 schools into breaking away from the NCAA.

Alabama, Texas, and Michigan don't want to be part of a 150 school FBS.
05-30-2015 06:50 AM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

RE: Why is Stony Brook building FBS facilities when no G5 conference is interested?
(05-30-2015 06:50 AM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  As a UConn fan, this concerns me. I don't mind the competition and I like the idea of building up college football in the Northeast. But talk of Stony Brook, Albany, Towson, and Youngstown State could scare the P5 schools into breaking away from the NCAA.

The P5 would love it, as guarantees become cheaper and the G5 becomes watered down even more. The G5 will feel endangered, but they don't have control over the situation, as they relied on capricious illegal rules to keep competition at bay.
05-30-2015 07:04 AM
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
Hello, Stony brook? This is the B1G calling, we are interested in some New York State property and have been looking upstate but something near the beach may be just what we are looking for! 05-stirthepot
05-30-2015 07:23 AM
HawaiiMongoose Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
Their new AD is from Oregon State and judging by the quotes in that article the favorite words in his vocabulary are "big time". He could be thinking that if the AAC loses Cincinnati or UConn 5-7 years down the road he would like Stony Brook to be positioned by then for consideration as a replacement candidate.
05-30-2015 07:38 AM
Rabbit_in_Red Offline
Banned

I Root For: Louisville, ACC
What's the old adage about dressing for the job you want, not the job you have? If Stony Brook has FBS ambitions, then building the facilities and making yourself stand out from the pack isn't a bad option if you have the ability to build said facilities now. It can only help their case in the long run. Look at Cincinnati, for example. They're expanding their football stadium, and we all know it's to help attract the attention of a P5 conference. Sitting back and hoping something happens first, THEN taking action instead of actively building towards your goals is a sure fire way of guaranteeing you get left behind.
05-30-2015 08:00 AM
Advertisement

The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
At some point, one's got to ask about schools and their sense of entitlement. If Stony's thinking about the big time, are they that far off from the Liberty's and Coastal Carolina's of the world, who think about doing this because "where they thought they should be" isn't where they presently are? I didn't even have to read the link before my mind went to the spat between Hofstra and the CAA to know Stony is pretty much under the thumb of that school, and can't fully align itself with CAA while being "stuck" in a directionless America East.

So, because you aren't where you think you deserve to be, you should aim higher? I mean, I feel for SB, and I wish for nothing but the worst for Hofstra, but these things don't look like rational and responsible decisions.

Stony's ceiling would be interesting to debate, but give me a break...
05-30-2015 08:17 AM
MJG Offline
1st String

I Root For: U I , UMich, SC
(05-30-2015 06:50 AM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  As a UConn fan, this concerns me. I don't mind the competition and I like the idea of building up college football in the Northeast. But talk of Stony Brook, Albany, Towson, and Youngstown State could scare the P5 schools into breaking away from the NCAA.

They are not part of the 128 team FBS.
THEY ARE P5 so 65 teams the split is informal but real.
The BCS wasn't clear enough so P5 is the new name.
They didn't really have to spell it all out like they did.
Leaving the other 63-? FBS helps those schools without any negative effects on the P5.

There could be twenty FCS schools that are better overall fits than the bottom twenty FBS is now.
05-30-2015 08:21 AM
cleburneslim Offline
1st String

I Root For: jax state
(05-30-2015 06:36 AM)NoDak Wrote:  http://brook.land/2015/05/athletics-unve...year-plan/

With JMU, Liberty, Towson, Delaware, maybe Villanova, Stony Brook, Albany, UMass, Youngstown St, and UNH, a nice east coast conference can be formed. Stony Brook has long expressed FBS ambitions.

Throw in Kennesaw St and Jacksonville St further south and it starts looking like the FBS conference the CAA was going to start before ODU and Ga St bolted and Charlotte and App St got away.

you could add to that list a few other schools. Like eku, ccu, utc, bama st. Shsu, and lamar. All have been mentioned, have inquired about or have made public statements about their desire to move to an fbs onference. Many of these schools have very good football teams.
05-30-2015 08:25 AM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
Why? Because even at the FCS level, they want to compete with their peers and give their fans and players a better place to watch and play a game. Just because a school is FCS, doesn't mean they have to have crappy facilities.
Even at the D2 level schools invest in facilities.

Look at the Montana and Montana St. They have invested in their facilities and are quite content to stay FCS.
05-30-2015 10:31 AM
GE and MTS Offline

I Root For: Liberty/Penn St
Stony Brook has potential. Didn't they make the final four of the CWS a couple years ago? Their football team had some good years as a football-only member of the Big South. I don't know how they have done since leaving the Big South. Their basketball team made the tourney recently right?

They have a great location and great academics. If they just get good support from the community and alumni then they could one day be a force.
05-30-2015 11:03 AM
Advertisement

JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: DUKES
(05-30-2015 08:17 AM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  At some point, one's got to ask about schools and their sense of entitlement. If Stony's thinking about the big time, are they that far off from the Liberty's and Coastal Carolina's of the world, who think about doing this because "where they thought they should be" isn't where they presently are? I didn't even have to read the link before my mind went to the spat between Hofstra and the CAA to know Stony is pretty much under the thumb of that school, and can't fully align itself with CAA while being "stuck" in a directionless America East.

So, because you aren't where you think you deserve to be, you should aim higher? I mean, I feel for SB, and I wish for nothing but the worst for Hofstra, but these things don't look like rational and responsible decisions.

Stony's ceiling would be interesting to debate, but give me a break...

SBU is a member of the AAU, so yes, they are miles and miles away from a Liberty/CCU. Also in a major metro area.

There is no doubt that they will be FBS, and will have a lot of interest from the MAC.
05-30-2015 11:34 AM
jdgaucho Offline
All American

I Root For: UCSB
from one SB to another SB - rock on
05-30-2015 11:39 AM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(05-30-2015 06:36 AM)NoDak Wrote:  http://brook.land/2015/05/athletics-unve...year-plan/

This is like a creepy fetish for you... What sort of gratification do you get from dreaming up new FBS conferences?
05-30-2015 11:42 AM
Carolina_Low_Country Offline
1st String

I Root For: Go Pirates
Stony Brooke could actually get into the AAC if things played out right. AAU school in the northeast with a decent fan following (they have great facilities and good size fan base for FCS school) would be a great add for the American. If Rice can clean up its football stadium and grow basketball (need to do what SMU did and what Duke has done for years). Then they would be an add for the American another AAU school in Houston. Add Rice and Stony Brooke to get to 14. Gives you New York and bridge gap between Temple and Connecticut. But its a big stretch and probably is not going to happen.
05-30-2015 11:53 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(05-30-2015 07:04 AM)NoDak Wrote:  

The P5 would love it, as guarantees become cheaper and the G5 becomes watered down even more. The G5 will feel endangered, but they don't have control over the situation, as they relied on capricious illegal rules to keep competition at bay.

lol. Where do get these silly notions. The only thing holding back FBS teams that want to upgrade to FBS is themselves. Build the facilities and build your fan base. When you are attractive enough, a FBS conference will invite you. If you have not been invited, its because you are not attractive enough at this point. The G5 schools face the exact same thing with P5 membership. We have work to do to become more attractive to P5 conferences. It is what it is. FCS move ups do not "deserve" to be promoted just "because". They need to earn it. Look at JMU, they have a standing invite. They made themselves attractive to FBS.
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2015 12:11 PM by Attackcoog.)
05-30-2015 12:09 PM
Advertisement

billings Online
1st String

I Root For: Wyo / Mont St.
(05-30-2015 10:31 AM)MWC Tex Wrote:  Why? Because even at the FCS level, they want to compete with their peers and give their fans and players a better place to watch and play a game. Just because a school is FCS, doesn't mean they have to have crappy facilities.
Even at the D2 level schools invest in facilities.

Look at the Montana and Montana St. They have invested in their facilities and are quite content to stay FCS.
\

SHHH. The only reason to build anything new is to move up to FBS
05-30-2015 12:23 PM
MJG Offline
1st String

I Root For: U I , UMich, SC
(05-30-2015 12:09 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(05-30-2015 07:04 AM)NoDak Wrote:  

lol. Where do get these silly notions. The only thing holding back FBS teams that want to upgrade to FBS is themselves. Build the facilities and build your fan base. When you are attractive enough, a FBS conference will invite you. If you have not been invited, its because you are not attractive enough at this point. The G5 schools face the exact same thing with P5 membership. We have work to do to become more attractive to P5 conferences. It is what it is. FCS move ups do not "deserve" to be promoted just "because". They need to earn it. Look at JMU, they have a standing invite. They made themselves attractive to FBS.

Jacksonville St would be the exception to that nice 24k stadium and strong support . They are even in the right region but wrong state. Delaware,Montana and NDSU have what it takes but wrong region.
05-30-2015 01:52 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(05-30-2015 11:42 AM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  

This is like a creepy fetish for you... What sort of gratification do you get from dreaming up new FBS conferences?
Kind of the same fetish as UConn and Cincy fans figuring out ways to get P5 interest. That's why this board exists.

I submit that there's rule changes coming, but most of you have your heads in the sand believing that rules never change.
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2015 02:51 PM by NoDak.)
05-30-2015 02:50 PM
Rabbit_in_Red Offline
Banned

I Root For: Louisville, ACC
(05-30-2015 11:42 AM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  

OK, it might be a weird fetish that this cat's got going on...but this one, I'll give him. That'd be an interesting enough conference.
05-30-2015 02:51 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.