Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Mohajir on SBC Spring Meetings/Expansion
Bookmark and Share
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
Interview hasn't been posted yet, and only the first 10 minutes focus on the actual meetings, the rest talk about Arkansas State.

1. Basketball Schedule: Several different options are in play, and have been proposed to the Presidents and Chancellors.

2. Doubleheaders: The Majority of Athletic Directors prefer to continue the Men's and Women's doubleheaders in basketball. AState is not one of those schools. That being said, almost every Men's basketball coach has come out against the doubleheaders, so we will do 1 more year of it, and then move to Thursday/Saturday/Monday scheduling. Pending President's approval.

3. Football Championship Game: "The #1 concern of the Sun Belt Conference should be to generate more revenue for the league. If the league can generate more revenue from a Football Championship Game, and can improve our chances of making an access bowl, than we are for it." However, we will not support it unless those two factors come in to play. Our research suggests that the underdog will win the game 30 percent of the time, and a bad result could cost the league 15 million dollars in playoff revenue. There are also travel concerns for the teams involved that need to be negated, as in all likelihood a team will need to be able to arrange lodging and transportation for its players on a weeks notice.

4. Bowl Games: The Cure Bowl will be the league's 4th bowl this year. We will only have 4 bowls in 2015. Arkansas State continues to be 150 percent behind the creation of a bowl in Little Rock, and will support it in any way possible.

5. Expansion: We at Arkansas State continue to believe the best move for the Sun Belt at the present time is to invite New Mexico State for all sports. There strength in Olympic Sports would improve our conference in several areas, and fix the basketball scheduling disasters. That being said, not everyone Sun Belt School supports such a move. The Eastern Schools support proposals from Eastern Kentucky and Coastal Carolina. There was also discussion that Missouri State will likely be ready in a couple of years, and they could turn into an option down the road. No moves are imminent at this time.
(This post was last modified: 05-26-2015 12:38 PM by chiefsfan.)
05-26-2015 12:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

I Root For: GA Southern
RE: Mohajir on SBC Spring Meetings/Expansion
(05-26-2015 12:36 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  Interview hasn't been posted yet, and only the first 10 minutes focus on the actual meetings, the rest talk about Arkansas State.

1. Basketball Schedule: Several different options are in play, and have been proposed to the Presidents and Chancellors.

2. Doubleheaders: The Majority of Athletic Directors prefer to continue the Men's and Women's doubleheaders in basketball. AState is not one of those schools. That being said, almost every Men's basketball coach has come out against the doubleheaders, so we will do 1 more year of it, and then move to Thursday/Saturday/Monday scheduling. Pending President's approval.

3. Football Championship Game: "The #1 concern of the Sun Belt Conference should be to generate more revenue for the league. If the league can generate more revenue from a Football Championship Game, and can improve our chances of making an access bowl, than we are for it." However, we will not support it unless those two factors come in to play. Our research suggests that the underdog will win the game 30 percent of the time, and a bad result could cost the league 15 million dollars in playoff revenue. There are also travel concerns for the teams involved that need to be negated, as in all likelihood a team will need to be able to arrange lodging and transportation for its players on a weeks notice.

4. Bowl Games: The Cure Bowl will be the league's 4th bowl this year. We will only have 4 bowls in 2015. Arkansas State continues to be 150 percent behind the creation of a bowl in Little Rock, and will support it in any way possible.

5. Expansion: We at Arkansas State continue to believe the best move for the Sun Belt at the present time is to invite New Mexico State for all sports. There strength in Olympic Sports would improve our conference in several areas, and fix the basketball scheduling disasters. That being said, not everyone Sun Belt School supports such a move. The Eastern Schools support proposals from Eastern Kentucky and Coastal Carolina. There was also discussion that Missouri State will likely be ready in a couple of years, and they could turn into an option down the road. No moves are imminent at this time.

While I am in favor of an EKU or Missouri St bid I don't think we have to be in a rush. Wait and see what CUSA does and then we will know if we have to add 1 or 2.
05-26-2015 12:52 PM
TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bobcats!
If that is really what he said (in similar terms), I LOVE how your guy doesn't split hairs, and just says it like it is.
05-26-2015 12:58 PM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
(05-26-2015 12:52 PM)Georgia_Power_Company Wrote:  
(05-26-2015 12:36 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  Interview hasn't been posted yet, and only the first 10 minutes focus on the actual meetings, the rest talk about Arkansas State.

While I am in favor of an EKU or Missouri St bid I don't think we have to be in a rush. Wait and see what CUSA does and then we will know if we have to add 1 or 2.

Yup, that's The Sun Belt Conference . . . . Reactive every time. . . . Heaven forbid
we be in any way PROACTIVE . . . .

Let ALL the other conferences make their moves, then when the dust settles we'll react to it and take whatever scraps may be left . . . .

This is in part WHY we have an image problem . . . .IMHO . . .
05-26-2015 12:58 PM
THUNDERStruck73 Offline
Complete Jackass

I Root For: Herd, Our Lady, & Heels
#3 just seems so stupid not to do for you guys. Not going to get that extra game because 30% of the time it might hurt your chances of the AB??? Now the odds have just skyrocketed that every year it is going to hurt you guys. I just don't get it.
05-26-2015 01:02 PM
DawggoneEagle Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
Ok, so the eastern schools vote for NMSU in all sports in exchange for the western schools vote on EKU. If Idaho exits add Missouri State. If ready or Coastal if ready. I personally could care less which. I suppose I'd favor Missouri first after EKU, then CCU if there is a loss of another school down the road.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
05-26-2015 01:08 PM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline

(05-26-2015 12:58 PM)TheRevSWT Wrote:  If that is really what he said (in similar terms), I LOVE how your guy doesn't split hairs, and just says it like it is.

Not word for word, but pretty close. I think I added in the part about the basketball scheduling being a disaster, he tired to be a bit more tame, but Brady has called it a disaster already on radio, and I liked his term better.

On a side note, this is the first time, I've heard Missouri State come out of an SBC School's mouth publicly concerning expansion.
05-26-2015 01:08 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(05-26-2015 01:02 PM)THUNDERGround Wrote:  #3 just seems so stupid not to do for you guys. Not going to get that extra game because 30% of the time it might hurt your chances of the AB??? Now the odds have just skyrocketed that every year it is going to hurt you guys. I just don't get it.

So far we have heard nothing from the selection committee indicating that not having a title game is going to hurt us. We have heard that it could potentially be a money loser for the league, and if there is one thing our AD will never sign off on, it's something that doesn't bring in revenue.
05-26-2015 01:12 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(05-26-2015 12:58 PM)Bobcat87 Wrote:  
(05-26-2015 12:52 PM)Georgia_Power_Company Wrote:  

Yup, that's The Sun Belt Conference . . . . Reactive every time. . . . Heaven forbid
we be in any way PROACTIVE . . . .

Let ALL the other conferences make their moves, then when the dust settles we'll react to it and take whatever scraps may be left . . . .

This is in part WHY we have an image problem . . . .IMHO . . .

For the record, I have heard nothing out of the league saying that we will wait on any other league before we make a move. What I have heard is that we will not make a move until after next football season, primarily because none of the FCS schools are ready to move up immediately, and we have to make a decision on NMSU and Idaho at that point anyway by contract.

Lets be clear about all proposals here:

1. EKU basically has to rebuild its entire stadium, and would likely have to play one year away from home entirely.

2. Coastal Carolina has an ambitious proposal that is not a sure thing juset yet, and would still take a couple years to complete.

3. Missouri State has the facilities, but not the fundraising yet to make a move.

If we added immediately, the only option in play would be NMSU all sports, and that would make more sense to wait until after next football season to announce anyway, because we would likely be dumping Idaho at the same time. The only FCS Options available now are Liberty and JMU. JMU has its head stuck so far up its own rear that it may never be able to pull it out in time, and App State has made it pretty clear they do not support Liberty's addition, even if it gives them a travel partner.
(This post was last modified: 05-26-2015 01:18 PM by chiefsfan.)
05-26-2015 01:16 PM
TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

(05-26-2015 01:08 PM)DawggoneEagle Wrote:  Ok, so the eastern schools vote for NMSU in all sports in exchange for the western schools vote on EKU. If Idaho exits add Missouri State. If ready or Coastal if ready. I personally could care less which. I suppose I'd favor Missouri first after EKU, then CCU if there is a loss of another school down the road.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

From MY perspective (which is worthless, I know)... You take whomever is more ready: Coastal Carolina or EKU (or hell, even who the east wants more). In exchange, the west gets NMSU Olympics. You now have a 12/14 split.

After that? You keep Idaho around as long as Missouri State needs to get ready. At that point, you pick up an other basketball school (UAB?), which gets you a 12/16 split.
05-26-2015 01:24 PM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE

Who is not mentioned is as telling as who is.
05-26-2015 01:24 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

(05-26-2015 01:24 PM)panama Wrote:  Who is not mentioned is as telling as who is.

Shhhh... You'll rouse the beast.
05-26-2015 01:25 PM
The4thOption Offline
1st String

(05-26-2015 01:02 PM)THUNDERGround Wrote:  #3 just seems so stupid not to do for you guys. Not going to get that extra game because 30% of the time it might hurt your chances of the AB??? Now the odds have just skyrocketed that every year it is going to hurt you guys. I just don't get it.

Yep, the flip side to that coin is: "70% of the time, a CCG would give our Conference Champion a boost in the rankings by adding another quality win and increasing SOS."

On the same note, 70% of the time it raises our chances of bringing in that extra 15 Million (which must be extra money for making the access bowl?).
Furthermore,in the 30% of the time that such a tragic win of the underdog might occur in the Sun Belt- There would have been no guarantee that our otherwise crowned Conference champion (OR... CO-CHAMPIONS 01-donnankungfu) would have gained the Access spot and extra cash.
Infact - they would be at a disadvantage to any other G5 conference who did not have their top ranked program upset in a CCG.
Additionally, if no such G5 champion existed (IF all G5 underdogs won their CCG) - The CCG wouldn't have hurt our conference's chances at all.

Otherwise, we are playing the role of counting on an upset in every other G5 CCG in order for us to claim the Access bowl. Man, talk about not having your destiny in your own hands. I don't like that plan.

Much more to be gained than lost with a CCG.

Plus, only one team travels and there should be TV money for the game.
(This post was last modified: 05-26-2015 01:28 PM by The4thOption.)
05-26-2015 01:25 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(05-26-2015 01:25 PM)TheRevSWT Wrote:  
(05-26-2015 01:24 PM)panama Wrote:  Who is not mentioned is as telling as who is.

The Sleeping beast has already read this thread, and knows exactly who was left out.

I don't anticipate they are surprised.
05-26-2015 01:29 PM
The4thOption Offline
1st String

Yes, but what is it telling us about who?
05-26-2015 01:29 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(05-26-2015 01:29 PM)The4thOption Wrote:  

The Beast's problem is that the SBC FBS School a couple hours away isn't supporting them. That's pretty much a non starter right there. It should be downright alarming that Coastal Carolina has entered the picture to them as well.
05-26-2015 01:31 PM
Advertisement

The4thOption Offline
1st String

(05-26-2015 01:31 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(05-26-2015 01:29 PM)The4thOption Wrote:  

The Beast's problem is that the SBC FBS School a couple hours away isn't supporting them. That's pretty much a non starter right there. It should be downright alarming that Coastal Carolina has entered the picture to them as well.

Speaking of Coastal Carolina and pictures... They might be a fun conference member. Especially if you get them early in the season....

[Image: coastal-carolina-back-to-school-pool.jpg]
05-26-2015 01:42 PM
Rik Flair Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: stAte
(05-26-2015 01:25 PM)The4thOption Wrote:  

Yep, the flip side to that coin is: "70% of the time, a CCG would give our Conference Champion a boost in the rankings by adding another quality win and increasing SOS."

On the same note, 70% of the time it raises our chances of bringing in that extra 15 Million (which must be extra money for making the access bowl?).
Furthermore,in the 30% of the time that such a tragic win of the underdog might occur in the Sun Belt- There would have been no guarantee that our otherwise crowned Conference champion (OR... CO-CHAMPIONS 01-donnankungfu) would have gained the Access spot and extra cash.
Infact - they would be at a disadvantage to any other G5 conference who did not have their top ranked program upset in a CCG.
Additionally, if no such G5 champion existed (IF all G5 underdogs won their CCG) - The CCG wouldn't have hurt our conference's chances at all.

Otherwise, we are playing the role of counting on an upset in every other G5 CCG in order for us to claim the Access bowl. Man, talk about not having your destiny in your own hands. I don't like that plan.

The only way I see the SBC champ gaining the access bowl slot is by going undefeated in the conference and knocking off one or two P5 schools. If that happened, then the champ would probably be ranked in the Top 25, but would still have to back into the access bowl slot.

In that scenario, I think it would be unlikely that the next highest SBC team would also be ranked or have a similarly impressive record. So a CCG could only hurt the SB chances and probably not help much unless both schools were ranked.

All that said, if it got the conference an extra million dollars, then I think Mohajir would be all in.
05-26-2015 01:45 PM
trojanbrutha Offline
Beltbbs Troy Football INsider

I Root For: TROY
30% chance...underdog is our persona. The SBC is a perennial underdog, so does this mean we're afraid of our own shadow? I can see this as a problem...

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
05-26-2015 01:46 PM
CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

I Root For: Cajuns
(05-26-2015 01:25 PM)The4thOption Wrote:  

With a CCG game don't we lose a bye-week? If so, I'd not want to be the team that plays on a Tues and then again on the following Saturday.....is that not a possible scenario?
05-26-2015 01:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.