Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The University of Houston landing 5* and 4* Players...
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
The University of Houston landing 5* and 4* Players...
Now they have to hold onto them but Tom Herman is getting it done...

Edward Oliver, the No. 6-ranked prospect in the country, is staying home for college.

The five-star and third-ranked defensive tackle in the Class of 2016 committed to the University of Houston on Thursday night in what is a first in the seven years ESPN has assigned star rankings to prospects.

Defensive Tackle Jordan Elliott, ranked 46th in the ESPN 300, announced his intentions on Friday via Twitter:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recrui...-5-schools
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2015 09:13 AM by Maize.)
05-23-2015 09:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

canewton Offline
All American

I Root For: Houston
RE: The University of Houston landing 5* and 4* Players...
Like you said, have to hold on to them.
05-23-2015 09:35 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
Herman knows his way around Big 12 territory,

Sam Houston State[edit]
After completing his graduate assistant position, Herman joined Sam Houston State as wide receivers coach twice sparking the Bearkats to Southland Conference championships and the NCAA Division I-AA playoffs. In his first season at Sam Houston State, Herman coached Jonathon Cooper, who was named the NCAA Division I-AA Wide Receiver of the Year. Herman produced all-conference receivers in each season and produced three All-American wide receivers.[citation needed]

In 2004, they finished 11-3 and advanced to the Division I-AA championship's semifinals. The Bearkats' offense was ranked second nationally in passing offense, averaging 358.5 yards, while the Bearkats' 471 yards of total offense ranked fifth among Division I-AA schools.[3]

Texas State[edit]
After four seasons at Sam Houston State, Herman joined Texas State as the offensive coordinator in 2005. During his two seasons at Texas State his squads led the Southland Conference in total offense and the 2005 team ranked eighth nationally in scoring. The Bobcats went on to make a deep run in the NCAA in the team's first ever Division I-AA appearance, while Barrick Nealy finished fifth in the voting for the Walter Payton Award (top offensive player in Division I-AA).[3]

Rice[edit]
In 2007, Herman then followed head coach David Bailiff from Texas State to form the new coaching staff at Rice. With a reputation for engineering high-powered offensive attacks, Herman’s offense smashed nearly 40 offensive records during his first season as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach for the Owls.[citation needed]

Rice ranked in the Top 10 nationally in 2008 in passing offense (5th; 327.8), scoring offense (T8th; 41.6) and total offense (10th; 472.3). Two Rice receivers had more than 1,300 yards receiving that year, tight end James Casey had 111 catches and quarterback Chase Clement was the Conference USA MVP.[3][4]

Iowa State[edit]
After building of one of the nation’s most prolific offenses at Rice, Herman joined the Iowa State as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach.[2][5] Herman installed his system and brought new life into the offense.[citation needed]

During his three seasons at Iowa State, the offense improved considerably and broke numerous team and player school records.[citation needed] Iowa State's 52 points in a win over Texas Tech marked the most points put up by the Cyclones against a conference opponent in 38 years. Iowa State quarterback Austen Arnaud ended his career as the Cyclones No. 2 all-time leading passer with 6,777 yards and 42 touchdown passes. His 8,044 yards of total offense is the second-best total in school history. Running back Alexander Robinson finished his Iowa State career as the Cyclones' fourth all-time leading rusher with 3,309 yards.[6]
05-23-2015 10:12 AM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
Morris at SMU needs to do the same. He knows Texas and is supposedly a great recruiter.

I think Houston and SMU can be powers in the western division. Houston may be there already; I bought Athlon's yesterday and they predict a Houston-Cincinnati AAC championship game.
05-23-2015 07:04 PM
Advertisement

BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
Beautiful new football stadium already in place and the 4th largest city in the Country on our side, we needed someone capable of taking the city of Houston's program to the next level.

Yes, I believe we found our guy, Herman
05-23-2015 10:31 PM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
(05-23-2015 10:31 PM)BigHouston Wrote:  Beautiful new football stadium already in place and the 4th largest city in the Country on our side, we needed someone capable of taking the city of Houston's program to the next level.

Houston may be the 4th biggest city, but DFW is the 4th biggest metro area. 05-stirthepot
05-23-2015 10:46 PM
RaiderRed Offline
Banned

I Root For: P5
Congrats UH.
05-23-2015 11:06 PM
Advertisement

FreshPrinceOfDarkness Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Texas Tech
(05-23-2015 09:12 AM)Maize Wrote:  Now they have to hold onto them but Tom Herman is getting it done...

Edward Oliver, the No. 6-ranked prospect in the country, is staying home for college.

The five-star and third-ranked defensive tackle in the Class of 2016 committed to the University of Houston on Thursday night in what is a first in the seven years ESPN has assigned star rankings to prospects.

Defensive Tackle Jordan Elliott, ranked 46th in the ESPN 300, announced his intentions on Friday via Twitter:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recrui...-5-schools

That should make the OOC games against Tech more interesting in a few years. Congrats Coogs!
05-24-2015 07:52 PM
Big Ron Buckeye Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: THE Ohio State
I hope Herman and Morris have tons of success at Houston and SMU respectively. If they can pull a Miami in their respective cities and surrounding areas and keep a goodly portion of the local talent home there is no reason they can't consistently battle for championships. Both schools have put a lot of resources into resurrecting their programs and while Houston has had intermittent success I believe I can say without reservation that SMU hasn't. Ideally they'd both probably like to get into the Big 12 but unless some combination of Texas, Oklahoma, and/or Kansas takes the SEC or B1G on an expansion offer the Big 12 doesn't seem likely. What does seem possible if remote in likelihood is the Pac12. Forgetting the names of the schools I think the Pac12 would like to get into Texas and into Dallas and Houston specifically.

On a side note in a rant full of side notes, I find it interesting almost 20 years after the disbanding of the Southwest Conference just how much support the schools of that defunct league still get from their communities and the state at large. There is enoungh talent to go around and if you could magically re-form the SWC it would still very much be a P5 today. The lack of TV sets and such a high concentration of schools in one state doomed the league but it feels like that would be a powerful league today had they stuck together.

Back to Herman, Herman is going hard with the caliber of athletes he's pulling and I couldn't be happier for him. Obviously with his aiding tOSU to win the National Title I want nothing but the best for him but I think SMU has a legit shot at joining UH as serious contenders annually because Morris is doing the damned thing too.
05-28-2015 09:10 AM
ESE84 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice then UH

New Orleans BowlDonators
(05-28-2015 09:10 AM)Big Ron Buckeye Wrote:  Back to Herman, Herman is going hard with the caliber of athletes he's pulling and I couldn't be happier for him. Obviously with his aiding tOSU to win the National Title I want nothing but the best for him but I think SMU has a legit shot at joining UH as serious contenders annually because Morris is doing the damned thing too.

The University of Houston has a history of good head coaching hires who can leap directly to the P5 (Art Briles to Baylor and Kevin Sumlin to Texas A&M). Tom Herman will probably be another.
05-28-2015 01:01 PM
Advertisement

EvilVodka Offline
stuff

I Root For: FSU LSU
(05-23-2015 10:46 PM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  
(05-23-2015 10:31 PM)BigHouston Wrote:  Beautiful new football stadium already in place and the 4th largest city in the Country on our side, we needed someone capable of taking the city of Houston's program to the next level.

Houston may be the 4th biggest city, but DFW is the 4th biggest metro area. 05-stirthepot

they are both sprawled out crapholes
05-28-2015 03:14 PM
EvilVodka Offline
stuff

I Root For: FSU LSU
Houston is headed in a good direction....

Personally, I think the combination of Houston and Rice is very attractive....I've advocated for them on the ACC board.
05-28-2015 03:33 PM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas
(05-28-2015 03:33 PM)EvilVodka Wrote:  Houston is headed in a good direction....

Personally, I think the combination of Houston and Rice is very attractive....I've advocated for them on the ACC board.

03-lmfao
05-28-2015 09:44 PM
Advertisement

BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
(05-28-2015 01:01 PM)ESE84 Wrote:  
(05-28-2015 09:10 AM)Big Ron Buckeye Wrote:  Back to Herman, Herman is going hard with the caliber of athletes he's pulling and I couldn't be happier for him. Obviously with his aiding tOSU to win the National Title I want nothing but the best for him but I think SMU has a legit shot at joining UH as serious contenders annually because Morris is doing the damned thing too.

The University of Houston has a history of good head coaching hires who can leap directly to the P5 (Art Briles to Baylor and Kevin Sumlin to Texas A&M). Tom Herman will probably be another.

What you say is true but that's before Houston's new football stadium was built and before ESPN (awesome exposure) arrival.

I really can't say what the future holds for UH but this much I know, Houston isn't playing around anymore, it's for real now.
05-28-2015 11:24 PM
Big Ron Buckeye Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: THE Ohio State
(05-28-2015 01:01 PM)ESE84 Wrote:  

I agree that Houston has been a temporary layover as opposed to a destination job but something feels different this time. UH really looks to be committing the resources to the program. Patterson stayed at TCU... so I if Herman is getting 4 and 5 star guys over Bama, LSU, and A&M and he's able to pay his staff well why should he leave? Houston has a lot of money from the energy sector and though many of the heavy hitters have ties to other schools... there are a lot of UH people with big bucks to spare in that town. If you eliminate conference affiliation isn't Houston just as good a job as any in the Big 12 not named Texas or Oklahoma? Or at least on par with half of the P5s? I'd take the chances at UH with the preponderance of local talent any day.
You may be right that UH is a layover and would probably be wise to bet on him leaving in a few years. All I'm trying to say is that if he does at Houston what Patterson has done and is doing at TCU... they'll name the field after him and put a statue out front.
05-28-2015 11:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.