Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Blogging from Inside the Walls of Troy (SBC Tourney Day 4)
Bookmark and Share
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
Blogging from Inside the Walls of Troy (SBC Tourney Day 4)
First of all, I must offer my sincerest apologies for failing to post this last night. I got caught up with some things, and fell behind.

Friday was a very interesting day. And that's not just because Troy decided to play the song "Friday" over the speakers last night for some reason that I don't know. More on that later.

Since there were no games until 3:00, I took the opportunity to explore Troy a bit. To do that I consulted my handy Visit Troy reference guide. Here are the things to do in Troy according to the visitor's guide:

1. Go see a move at the Awesome Troy Movieplex (Continental Cinemas)
2. Go pick out your favorite book in the outstanding Troy Public Library
3. Go visit their own college campus, Troy University
4. Go catch a game at the Troy Sportsplex

Doesn't that just scream, "Come vacation here"?

Naturally being me, I chose to tour all of those beautiful establishments. Continental Cimenas is located on the North end of town as you come into Troy. To Give full credit to the guide, it is a rather large theater by Troy standards. There are 8 available screens to choose your favorite movie, however because so many movies are shown on multiple screens, there were only 5 choices of movies. (Tomorrowland, Poulterguist, Avengers, Pitch Perfect, and one other movie I didn't recognize). Unfortunately I cannot comment on the quality of the inside of the theater, as it was closed. 10am on Friday is not a move time anywhere.

The Troy Public Library is located East of the Troy campus. To get there off the main drag, you need to turn on AL 15. Otherwise, you need to take George Wallace Dr East Past the Troy Athletic Complex, and then hop North a little ways. To be fair to the Library...on the outside, it does not look like a typical library. Nice architecture. It looks sort of like a museum you might see in a smallish town. While I did briefly go into the Library, and it does have a nice selection of books, I did not inquire on the Library Card process...(I was going to register under the name Jay Walker, he visits Troy enough he probably needs one, but alas, I had more places to go, so I didn't)

The Troy Sportsplex is located to the West of Troy. You need to take AL31 West to Enzor Road. It is a Youth and Adult Sports Complex, meant for the recreational activities of the citizens of Troy. It contains baseball and soccer fields. Not the largest sportsplex out there, but nice enough for a town of 20K. It needs some landscaping though. I did not inquire about registering a child for the current Baseball season, as it already started, but that soccer season coming up looked mighty interesting.

Troy University is located just East of the Main drag, and it is a very beautiful campus. The great thing about the campus is that you can walk just about anywhere. There's one main road (University Ave) that runs through the campus. Several of the buildings are large, and nice looking from the outside. The best looking building is by far the new basketball arena. While I did not get a chance to peer inside as it was locked, and my tour guide Atlanta Trojan, decided he did not want to come to watch a tournament Troy wasn't in. However, you can see from the outside that it was meant to be something everyone could enjoy coming to. Football facilties are easy to see through a fence. It looks smaller than I thought it was, but there is a plan to close off the end zone, so that might help it a bit. The Video Screen was large and nice and playing SBC Baseball.

For Lunch, I stopped at Santa Fe. I gave it 2 and a half stars out of 5. Reminded me of a typical Tex Mex location.

AState survived to the Semis for the 6th straight year. Only team in the SBC to make that claim. Now the question becomes, how do we figure out how to get past the semis and pick up that 3rd tourney win, and 4th in the case of today. I got to watch the Cajuns game afterwards. One will be pleased to note that Cajuns fans are as overconfident as ever, as I listened to a group of fans talk about how they should be able to beat South Alabama when they play on Sunday. In the 2nd Freaking inning of the UTA game. Talk about putting the cart before the Ace.

Music Quality: F Seriously. Friday was far from the worst insult of the day. I've heard Miley Cyrus come out of those speakers. It's like the music guy had a 10 year old daughter and a 16 year old rebellious son who played with his computer and set the play list. We went from Friday to some rap song that had edited profanity. Talk about polar opposites. The Memo to Troy here is that they need to understand who attends conference tournament. The average person at these things is a 50 something adult who is the parent of a player, or a baseball nut case like me, who has no remote desire to listen to all sorts of wild non baseball related music. That being said, I've listened to AState do similar junk in our games, so this problem is hardly limited to Troy.

Today is Day 5 and the Semifinals. AState vs South Alabama, Louisiana vs Texas State. AState and Louisiana would have to win twice to advance. Expect a late blog tonight, as this could go a while. Sunday will be my final blog, and a wrap on the whole Troy experience.
05-23-2015 07:49 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: TROY
RE: Blogging from Inside the Walls of Troy (SBC Tourney Day 4)
U didn't eat at a local establishment?

Try Sweet Rack Rib Shack
05-23-2015 09:39 AM
Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: TROY
RE: Blogging from Inside the Walls of Troy (SBC Tourney Day 4)
Also surprised the "guide" didn't mention the Zip Line in Troy or the pioneer museum
05-23-2015 09:50 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.