Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Mom Arrested, Shackled Over Son's Unexcused School Absences
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
Mom Arrested, Shackled Over Son's Unexcused School Absences
Quote:A Georgia mother and substitute teacher says she was arrested and placed in shackles because of her son's unexcused absences.

Julie Giles reportedly wrote on Facebook that a warrant had been issued for her arrest after her son tallied 12 unexcused absences from school.

The total is six more than the Screven County school district allows. Giles argued that her son's doctor re-issued a note for three of the absences, meaning she would be arrested over a total of three absences.

Giles said she was briefly placed in ankle shackles, with police saying it was normal procedure. She was released and given a court date in July, but faces jail time.

Giles said her son is an A and B student, but often misses school because of illness. Due to higher copays than she can afford, she said sometimes she must keep her children home without being able to get a doctor's note.

WTOC-TV reported:

Screven County Schools Superintendent, William Bland, says this is not unusual, that they are following the law, and that "several" parents have already been convicted in these situations this school year, after not being able to work out a solution with school officials.

http://insider.foxnews.com/2015/05/21/ge...l-absences

This zaero tolerance schit is out of control. Jail time, are you phucking kidding? None of the state's phucking business unless there is truly cause for concern of the child's welfare.
05-22-2015 07:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TheEagleWay Offline
POWER OVERWHELMING

I Root For: TheNatCapital
RE: Mom Arrested, Shackled Over Son's Unexcused School Absences
Wow.

I'm not surprised by this story actually, I had a glimpse into this about 20 years ago.

Story time:

My older brother was in high school and needed some extensive work done by an Orthodontist (teeth pulled, braces, headgear, everything). He would arrive and bring a note from his Orthodontist excusing his tardiness each day. The school did not allow for his tardiness and gave him an ultimatum of "suspension or paddling". My brother, being the straight A student (eventually a Masters in ME from GT), chose the paddling. My parents were outraged and demanded an apology from the School Board, they didn't listen.

Dad reached out to the media and the story actually hit papers throughout the State and embarrassed the School Board. This finally got the attention of the School Board and they finally apologized. Then rightly changed the policy.

Moral of the story: Expose the school for wrong doing, and they will change their policy.
05-22-2015 08:19 AM
NCeagle Offline
NOT BANNED

I Root For: Ga Southern
the things people get arrested for is just dumb. I forgot the exact stat, but it is something to the extent that the US has 25% of the world's prison population. 25%!!!!!
05-22-2015 08:22 AM
UCF08 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCF
(05-22-2015 08:22 AM)NCeagle Wrote:  the things people get arrested for is just dumb. I forgot the exact stat, but it is something to the extent that the US has 25% of the world's prison population. 25%!!!!!

That is sort of skewed because a lot of those nations likely don't state accurate numbers on this issue, but you're 100% right that America has gotten too prison crazy. Our prison population has skyrocketed in the past few decades/
05-22-2015 10:22 AM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12
(05-22-2015 07:50 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  
Quote:A Georgia mother and substitute teacher says she was arrested and placed in shackles because of her son's unexcused absences.

Julie Giles reportedly wrote on Facebook that a warrant had been issued for her arrest after her son tallied 12 unexcused absences from school.

The total is six more than the Screven County school district allows. Giles argued that her son's doctor re-issued a note for three of the absences, meaning she would be arrested over a total of three absences.

Giles said she was briefly placed in ankle shackles, with police saying it was normal procedure. She was released and given a court date in July, but faces jail time.

Giles said her son is an A and B student, but often misses school because of illness. Due to higher copays than she can afford, she said sometimes she must keep her children home without being able to get a doctor's note.

WTOC-TV reported:

Screven County Schools Superintendent, William Bland, says this is not unusual, that they are following the law, and that "several" parents have already been convicted in these situations this school year, after not being able to work out a solution with school officials.

This zaero tolerance schit is out of control. Jail time, are you phucking kidding? None of the state's phucking business unless there is truly cause for concern of the child's welfare.

I thought you guys were complaining about schools not being tough of discipline?
05-22-2015 10:23 AM
NCeagle Offline
NOT BANNED

(05-22-2015 10:22 AM)UCF08 Wrote:  
(05-22-2015 08:22 AM)NCeagle Wrote:  the things people get arrested for is just dumb. I forgot the exact stat, but it is something to the extent that the US has 25% of the world's prison population. 25%!!!!!

That is sort of skewed because a lot of those nations likely don't state accurate numbers on this issue, but you're 100% right that America has gotten too prison crazy. Our prison population has skyrocketed in the past few decades/

especially for non violent crimes.

if you shoot someone, you deserve to be in jail. but peddling some pot or some other stupid crime shouldn't put you in prison.
05-22-2015 10:24 AM
Advertisement

UCF08 Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-22-2015 10:24 AM)NCeagle Wrote:  

if you shoot someone, you deserve to be in jail. but peddling some pot or some other stupid crime shouldn't put you in prison.

Yep. IMO a perfect example of this is that postal guy who flew that gyrocopter on the white house lawn being threatened with 9 years of prison time for it. He's not a violent person, he even told the FBI and Secret Service about what he was planning. He's also no martyr and deserves punishment, but I don't think spending tax payer money on 9 years of jailtime for an admittedly kooky and misguided person is an effective deterrent or way to spend our money.
05-22-2015 10:27 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(05-22-2015 10:23 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  

WTOC-TV reported:

I thought you guys were complaining about schools not being tough of discipline?

This story isn't about the school, it is about the state. You should be horrified by this blatent assault on privacy.
05-22-2015 10:27 AM
NCeagle Offline
NOT BANNED

(05-22-2015 10:27 AM)UCF08 Wrote:  

Yep. IMO a perfect example of this is that postal guy who flew that gyrocopter on the white house lawn being threatened with 9 years of prison time for it. He's not a violent person, he even told the FBI and Secret Service about what he was planning. He's also no martyr and deserves punishment, but I don't think spending tax payer money on 9 years of jailtime for an admittedly kooky and misguided person is an effective deterrent or way to spend our money.

exactly. stuff like that, and tossing people with drug problems in jail, and treating them like criminals instead of treating them as someone with a mental disorder and getting them actual help, but that's a whole other thread topic.
05-22-2015 10:30 AM
UCF08 Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-22-2015 10:30 AM)NCeagle Wrote:  

exactly. stuff like that, and tossing people with drug problems in jail, and treating them like criminals instead of treating them as someone with a mental disorder and getting them actual help, but that's a whole other thread topic.

I'm going to go one step forward here, I might lose you and that's fine, but I think we should also be putting far more emphasis in teaching trades and job skills to those in prison. The simple fact is, the way prison is often now, even if you wanted to better yourself after leaving, it's set up now so that you're pressured to fail at that. Say you get out on probation, guess where you have to be at in parole? Yep, right where you were when you were arrested. I've known guys who have had to leave Orlando to become productive people who worried about more than getting drunk and doing stupid things. But we release these people without any additional useful job skills, a felony on their record to prevent them from becoming gainfully employed, and prevent them from moving away from the influences which hurt them prior? What do we expect except high recidivism. And the issue of criminalizing what used to be suspendable offenses in high and middle schools? Don't get me started, if I went to the wrong inner city school with the wrong student resource officer, I'd probably have a felony on my record for what were just some schoolyard fights.

And that is in no way an excuse for anyones actions, it's just a statement that we're just stacking the deck against them in order to make us feel like we're actually punishing those who are beyond rehabilitation. I also know that no one wants to pay for educating convicted criminals, but it's completely disingenuous to act as if just locking them up for X years leads to no negative externalities. Anyways, I'm off my soapbox.
05-22-2015 10:49 AM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

(05-22-2015 10:27 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  

WTOC-TV reported:

This story isn't about the school, it is about the state. You should be horrified by this blatent assault on privacy.

Not sending your kid to school should be a punishable crime. It has nothing to do with privacy.
05-22-2015 10:52 AM
Advertisement

EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(05-22-2015 10:52 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  

WTOC-TV reported:

Not sending your kid to school should be a punishable crime. It has nothing to do with privacy.

Ridiculous. Abuse or even educational neglect, fine, but an A-B student, none of your business why they are out. A little common sense would go a long way. Jail time for the parent who didn't spend $100+ each time for a doctor's note? Even worse.
05-22-2015 10:57 AM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

(05-22-2015 10:57 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(05-22-2015 07:50 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  http://insider.foxnews.com/2015/05/21/ge...l-absences

Ridiculous. Abuse or even educational neglect, fine, but an A-B student, none of your business why they are out. A little common sense would go a long way. Jail time for the parent who didn't spend $100+ each time for a doctor's note? Even worse.

You can get doctor's notes on the internet.
05-22-2015 10:58 AM
UCF08 Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-22-2015 10:58 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  
(05-22-2015 10:57 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(05-22-2015 10:23 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  I thought you guys were complaining about schools not being tough of discipline?

You can get doctor's notes on the internet.

Not always, and ignorance of that shouldn't lead to jailtime. You're being silly.
05-22-2015 11:02 AM
NCeagle Offline
NOT BANNED

(05-22-2015 10:49 AM)UCF08 Wrote:  
(05-22-2015 10:30 AM)NCeagle Wrote:  
(05-22-2015 10:22 AM)UCF08 Wrote:  That is sort of skewed because a lot of those nations likely don't state accurate numbers on this issue, but you're 100% right that America has gotten too prison crazy. Our prison population has skyrocketed in the past few decades/

I'm going to go one step forward here, I might lose you and that's fine, but I think we should also be putting far more emphasis in teaching trades and job skills to those in prison. The simple fact is, the way prison is often now, even if you wanted to better yourself after leaving, it's set up now so that you're pressured to fail at that. Say you get out on probation, guess where you have to be at in parole? Yep, right where you were when you were arrested. I've known guys who have had to leave Orlando to become productive people who worried about more than getting drunk and doing stupid things. But we release these people without any additional useful job skills, a felony on their record to prevent them from becoming gainfully employed, and prevent them from moving away from the influences which hurt them prior? What do we expect except high recidivism. And the issue of criminalizing what used to be suspendable offenses in high and middle schools? Don't get me started, if I went to the wrong inner city school with the wrong student resource officer, I'd probably have a felony on my record for what were just some schoolyard fights.

And that is in no way an excuse for anyones actions, it's just a statement that we're just stacking the deck against them in order to make us feel like we're actually punishing those who are beyond rehabilitation. I also know that no one wants to pay for educating convicted criminals, but it's completely disingenuous to act as if just locking them up for X years leads to no negative externalities. Anyways, I'm off my soapbox.

I agree 100%. You put someone in jail for selling pot, and that is all they know how to do. So they get out, and they have to go be at home, where they sold pot, with no other skills. What do you think they are going to do to make money? Sell pot of course.
05-22-2015 11:05 AM
UCF08 Offline
Hall of Famer

God knows they're entrepreneurial.
05-22-2015 11:07 AM
Advertisement

NCeagle Offline
NOT BANNED

haha. seriously. and they have sales skills
05-22-2015 11:10 AM
dawgitall Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU/ASU/NCSU
The likelihood that anyone is going to do active time for keeping their child out of school is close to zero, unless there is a lot more involved than that. Parents are notified repeatedly regarding student absences and the law that applies to it. Serving papers on them if far down the list. I've gone to court as the homeroom teacher of a student with excessive absences. We tried to work with her all year but she was totally uncooperative with us right up to the point that she realized that we actually showed up in court. Then she was suddenly ready to be reasonable and come up with a plan to make sure her children were in regular attendance.

My guess is that there is a lot more to the story than this mother is sharing on facebook. Remember that the parent can say whatever they want, and the media is more than willing to run with it, but the school authorities don't comment.
05-23-2015 02:18 PM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC

If people commit crimes, they have to do the time.

I'm not letting child rapists out at 2 years because "we have too many people in prison".
05-23-2015 02:38 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(05-23-2015 02:38 PM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  
If people commit crimes, they have to do the time.
I'm not letting child rapists out at 2 years because "we have too many people in prison".

That's the problem. We are forced to let child rapists (and murderers) out early because minimum drug sentencing means that drug offenders have to serve full terms.
05-23-2015 05:11 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.