Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Blogging from Inside the Walls of Troy (SBC Tourney Day 2)
Bookmark and Share
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
Ah, the first round is here. 4 games...action packed baseball from 9am to 10pm...(or midnight, depending on your average thunderstorm)

The day started with a game between both of the GSU's. A few Panthers fans did make the trip today, but there were far more Georgia Southern fans. Within 5 minutes, an Eagle fan approached me and asked if I was Chiefsfan. Turns out it was a relative to a player who is a regular lurker, but non poster over here. I think they appreciated the qualify of my posts. Yes, we'll go with that. For most of the game, I sat among the Eagle faithful discussing baseball and Georgia Southern Athletics. They all seemed a very friendly people. Quick side note: That hate between these two schools is very real. Evan Challenger started, who I was excited to see, but he was ineffective. The last 3 innings were a lesson in what I think Eagle fans call "Hennon ball" His substitution patterns in the bullpen are strange. Pulled their best reliever after a scoreless 7th despite the Eagles coming back to tie the game. Georgia State promptly got 3 hits and a run off his replacement. As expected, Georgia Southern struck out A LOT.

Game 2 did happen, but it shall not be spoken of on here. Worth mentioning...the South/Troy rivalry is still very real. South Players refer to Troy as "The Enemy" Mostly smaller crowds for both AState and USA. AState is expected because of the drive and the seed. I'm going to give South another benefit of the doubt because of the time, but I still wonder.

SBC Drops the Ball: It was very hot today. Like scorching, and Troy's park does not offer much in the way of shade. After the first game, with an hour before the AState ame started, I decided to go cool off in my car for a bit. Only to be told that there was NO RE-ENTRY! In a Conference Tournament. If you show up for the 9am game...you have to stay until the session ends about 3:00 without leaving the park if you plan to see both games. WHO IN THE HELL CAME UP WITH THIS RIDICULOUS POLICY! I mean, there are like 100 people there tops...it's not like anyone is going to sneak in and steal seats from the others. It is far too hot to sit outside for 2 straight games without being able to cool off. It's a stupid policy, and needs to change.

Because of that ridiculous policy, I chose to skip the Texas State/Cajun game today primarily because I wanted to cool off. Shame I missed it. Did end up meeting several Texas State fans around town already. Good group of people. Last time that happened to me and I wished their team luck at the tourney, that team won the title. A Good Omen for the Bobcats for sure:

Game 4: It rained. The reality is, most of the enjoyment of the game itself was the rain delay theater put on by the players while we waited out the Thunder showers. I had not witnessed one of those in person before, but got plenty of video of it. I hope to share later.

I got a lot of strange looks from Troy fans. A couple even asked me why the heck I came to TROY all the way from Jonesboro, Is this...usual for this town? Instead of hey, welcome, glad you are here, its "WHY DID YOU COME HERE?!?" Perhaps it was my stunning good looks that had them off guard. Yeah, we'll go with that.

Long Day was capped with a nice conversation with a set of UTA fans who drove 12 hours from Arlington for the tournament. They were very down to earth people. Troy fans piled out very quickly as the game got out of hand. It was a tough break for their fans. They really messed the bed today. Just a poor game at a bad time. Put them in a mess, that might end with the host going 2 and Q for the 2nd straight year. Sadly, the same might happen to AState tomorrow as well. It's been a long season. Hopefully Georgia Southern has a poor game and we figure something out.

Final Note: If you are ever in Troy...eat dinner before midnight. Because of the crazy late game, I found myself driving around town looking for something open, and finding my choices limited to Waffle House...and uh...Waffle House. So Waffle House it was. Another College Town where places close early. Odd thing.

Tomorrow starts with 2 elimination games and concludes with today's winners playing. It will be mostly a play oriented post tomorrow, with my chance to go exploring around Troy on Friday since games don't begin till 3.

Till Tomorrow everyone!
05-21-2015 12:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tiguar Offline
All American

I Root For: South Alabama
RE: Blogging from Inside the Walls of Troy (SBC Tourney Day 2)
Quote:Final Note: If you are ever in Troy...eat dinner before midnight. Because of the crazy late game, I found myself driving around town looking for something open, and finding my choices limited to Waffle House...and uh...Waffle House. So Waffle House it was. Another College Town where places close early. Odd thing.

You thought I was joking with that waffle house stuff.
05-21-2015 01:05 AM
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

I Root For: TXST
(05-21-2015 12:59 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  SBC Drops the Ball: It was very hot today. Like scorching, and Troy's park does not offer much in the way of shade. After the first game, with an hour before the AState ame started, I decided to go cool off in my car for a bit. Only to be told that there was NO RE-ENTRY! In a Conference Tournament. If you show up for the 9am game...you have to stay until the session ends about 3:00 without leaving the park if you plan to see both games. WHO IN THE HELL CAME UP WITH THIS RIDICULOUS POLICY! I mean, there are like 100 people there tops...it's not like anyone is going to sneak in and steal seats from the others. It is far too hot to sit outside for 2 straight games without being able to cool off. It's a stupid policy, and needs to change.

Because of that ridiculous policy, I chose to skip the Texas State/Cajun game today primarily because I wanted to cool off. Shame I missed it. Did end up meeting several Texas State fans around town already. Good group of people. Last time that happened to me and I wished their team luck at the tourney, that team won the title. A Good Omen for the Bobcats for sure:
I never had that happen at the tournaments at TXST. I was one to go cool off in the river between games. Maybe it was because I was a season ticket holder? Maybe the SLC has/had a different policy or maybe it was up to Troy or is it an SBC policy?

Needs to be looked into. I may try to make next year's tourney but if I can't go dip in the San Marcos it ain't happening.
05-21-2015 01:23 AM
chiefsfan Offline

(05-21-2015 01:23 AM)CatMom Wrote:  
(05-21-2015 12:59 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  SBC Drops the Ball: It was very hot today. Like scorching, and Troy's park does not offer much in the way of shade. After the first game, with an hour before the AState ame started, I decided to go cool off in my car for a bit. Only to be told that there was NO RE-ENTRY! In a Conference Tournament. If you show up for the 9am game...you have to stay until the session ends about 3:00 without leaving the park if you plan to see both games. WHO IN THE HELL CAME UP WITH THIS RIDICULOUS POLICY! I mean, there are like 100 people there tops...it's not like anyone is going to sneak in and steal seats from the others. It is far too hot to sit outside for 2 straight games without being able to cool off. It's a stupid policy, and needs to change.

I never had that happen at the tournaments at TXST. I was one to go cool off in the river between games. Maybe it was because I was a season ticket holder? Maybe the SLC has/had a different policy or maybe it was up to Troy or is it an SBC policy?

Needs to be looked into. I may try to make next year's tourney but if I can't go dip in the San Marcos it ain't happening.

I met the guy yesterday whose going to be running the conference tournament in San Marcos next year, and I was sure to mention the policy to him.

Side note, your events management staff is 4 times the size of our own...
05-21-2015 08:07 AM
chiefsfan Offline

(05-21-2015 01:05 AM)Tiguar Wrote:  
Quote:Final Note: If you are ever in Troy...eat dinner before midnight. Because of the crazy late game, I found myself driving around town looking for something open, and finding my choices limited to Waffle House...and uh...Waffle House. So Waffle House it was. Another College Town where places close early. Odd thing.

Yes, I thought there was no way that the only 24 hour joint in a college town was a Waffle House. If we get into this mess today, I'm eating early.
05-21-2015 08:08 AM
Advertisement

Hemi Man Offline
Hector's Homeboy

I Root For: Troy
(05-21-2015 08:08 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(05-21-2015 01:05 AM)Tiguar Wrote:  

Yes, I thought there was no way that the only 24 hour joint in a college town was a Waffle House. If we get into this mess today, I'm eating early.

Waffle House, Waffle House, Huddle House, and McDonalds.

I'm not a Troy fan because of wins and losses.
05-21-2015 08:31 AM
troy4ever Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: TROY
Krystal is usually 24 hours as well. Or at least it was when I was in college.
05-21-2015 08:32 AM
Hemi Man Offline
Hector's Homeboy

I Root For: Troy
(05-21-2015 08:32 AM)troy4ever Wrote:  Krystal is usually 24 hours as well. Or at least it was when I was in college.

Yep. I think they are still open 24 hours.

I'm not a Troy fan because of wins and losses.
05-21-2015 08:33 AM
Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

Waffle House, huddle house, McDonald's and Krystal's is 24/7
05-21-2015 09:28 AM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline

Got to give props to Troy. One of their Associate AD's approached me today, said he read my blog on the message board and apologized. Said that the no re entry policy is a Troy policy...and was not supposed to be implemented for the conference tournament, but there was a communication error. You are allowed to leave and re enter provided you have your ticket
05-21-2015 12:16 PM
Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(05-21-2015 12:16 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  Got to give props to Troy. One of their Associate AD's approached me today, said he read my blog on the message board and apologized. Said that the no re entry policy is a Troy policy...and was not supposed to be implemented for the conference tournament, but there was a communication error. You are allowed to leave and re enter provided you have your ticket

Nice!
05-21-2015 12:21 PM
Tiguar Offline
All American

(05-21-2015 12:16 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  Got to give props to Troy. One of their Associate AD's approached me today, said he read my blog on the message board and apologized. Said that the no re entry policy is a Troy policy...and was not supposed to be implemented for the conference tournament, but there was a communication error. You are allowed to leave and re enter provided you have your ticket

how uh...

how did he recognize you
05-21-2015 12:21 PM
Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I'm guessing his Chiefs hat and maybe a stAte shirt gave it away
05-21-2015 12:23 PM
Advertisement

Tiguar Offline
All American

(05-21-2015 12:23 PM)Atlanta Trojan Wrote:  I'm guessing his Chiefs hat and maybe a stAte shirt gave it away

I dunno, I don't know what he wears. I did figure maybe there aren't maybe stAte fans there and the guy just approached someone who looked like a blogger.

you can just tell sometimes
05-21-2015 12:26 PM
Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

No chief told me through a private chat he's wearing a Chiefs hat.

How many chief fans are at Troys baseball stadium today?
05-21-2015 12:27 PM
Tiguar Offline
All American

(05-21-2015 12:27 PM)Atlanta Trojan Wrote:  No chief told me through a private chat he's wearing a Chiefs hat.

How many chief fans are at Troys baseball stadium today?

that'll do it then
05-21-2015 12:28 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(05-21-2015 12:21 PM)Tiguar Wrote:  

how uh...

how did he recognize you

I had a chiefs hat on yesterday, didn't today, because I don't wear it for AState games. However if he asked any of our coaches or fans who chiefsfan was, every single one of them could have pointed me out. Also, it's worth noting that half your SBC Tourney crowd is parents of players, I certainly am not old enough for that yet...
(This post was last modified: 05-21-2015 12:46 PM by chiefsfan.)
05-21-2015 12:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.