UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Whitmire: Which is more important for UAB? Football or autonomy from UA trustees?
WesternBlazer Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
Whitmire: Which is more important for UAB? Football or autonomy from UA trustees?
(This post was last modified: 05-18-2015 03:29 PM by WesternBlazer.)
05-18-2015 03:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
RE: Whitmore: Which is more important for UAB? Football or autonomy from UA trustees?
"Whitmire".
05-18-2015 03:27 PM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
RE: Whitmore: Which is more important for UAB? Football or autonomy from UA trustees?
I may dump coke on him. :-)
05-18-2015 03:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BlazintheATL Offline
All American

RE: Whitmire: Which is more important for UAB? Football or autonomy from UA trustees?
How important is it to have football back if our football program is never really given a fair shot to succeed and grow. There's always been a ceiling placed on the program and there always will be as long as we're under the control of the BOT the way it's currently configured. Maybe they'll announce on June 1st that football will return but it won't be supported any better by the BOT and the administration than it was before. Autonomy is what's needed.
(This post was last modified: 05-18-2015 03:58 PM by BlazintheATL.)
05-18-2015 03:57 PM
Hopeful Offline
Special Teams

RE: Whitmire: Which is more important for UAB? Football or autonomy from UA trustees?
I usually like his articles, but I'm not a fan of the tone in this one. It's a rhetorical question, honestly, and seems like the start of a silly argument. The real question to pose is why should such an vital institution not be able to do things that smaller schools take for granted? Instead of posing unnecessary ultimatums in a poll, there should be greater focus on our antagonists.
05-18-2015 04:24 PM
PTBlazer Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UAB, UofA
(05-18-2015 04:24 PM)Hopeful Wrote:  I usually like his articles, but I'm not a fan of the tone in this one. It's a rhetorical question, honestly, and seems like the start of a silly argument. The real question to pose is why should such an vital institution not be able to do things that smaller schools take for granted? Instead of posing unnecessary ultimatums in a poll, there should be greater focus on our antagonists.

+1
05-18-2015 04:28 PM
Advertisement

LairDweller Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB #1/Iowa #2
Well that was stupid
05-18-2015 04:28 PM
blazerwkr Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
In a way it does make a point for autonomy over fb as if we have autonomy we're able to make those decisions for ourselves instead of someone else.
05-18-2015 04:33 PM
BlazerGold09 Offline
All American

(05-18-2015 04:28 PM)PTBlazer Wrote:  
(05-18-2015 04:24 PM)Hopeful Wrote:  I usually like his articles, but I'm not a fan of the tone in this one. It's a rhetorical question, honestly, and seems like the start of a silly argument. The real question to pose is why should such an vital institution not be able to do things that smaller schools take for granted? Instead of posing unnecessary ultimatums in a poll, there should be greater focus on our antagonists.

+1

TOTALLY AGREE. He was asking to pick between options with one not even being realistic.
05-18-2015 04:35 PM
Doktyr X Offline
1st String

I Root For: Science! (+UAB)
What I would wish for is a genie that would grant me both options. (Reinstate the lost sports, remove Watts, change the UABOT)
(This post was last modified: 05-18-2015 04:46 PM by Doktyr X.)
05-18-2015 04:44 PM
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs
First, it's an opinion piece so you should probably take what is stated as such....an opinion. Second, if you read this comment:

Quote:Suppose you rubbed a magic lantern and a genie popped out. This genie offers you two choices, and they are mutually exclusive. You can have only one.

You would know the options don't have to be realistic (i.e. genie and a magic lantern). Some of you are really being overly sensitive about something you have already stated as not being realistic. But it has been discussed repeatedly on this board that this "FreeUAB Movement" was more than just about football. So as Whitmire indicated, of course we would want both. But if you couldn't have both and could only choose one option, which one would you choose? Pretty simple question IMO.
05-18-2015 04:51 PM
Advertisement

CajunBlazer Offline
1st String

My comment on al.com.

I refuse to vote because I don't give a flip what you "like". It isn't an either or proposition, but it is simple. If UAB had its own board it's first step would be to fire Watts for cause and its second would be to bring back football.

Also, you wrote "To put it another way, the university can divert its football funding to running a bang-up, championship-contending basketball program, or it can rustle together money each year to fund a football team that might do well but never be a contender for a national championship." That isn't an either or proposition either. We can, and will have both and I would be surprise if one or the other might one day contend for a national championship. I can recall times when the basketball program was ranked in the Top 25 and I see no reason why the football team could not achieve the same distinction.
05-18-2015 04:58 PM
BlazintheATL Offline
All American

(05-18-2015 04:51 PM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  First, it's an opinion piece so you should probably take what is stated as such....an opinion. Second, if you read this comment:

Quote:Suppose you rubbed a magic lantern and a genie popped out. This genie offers you two choices, and they are mutually exclusive. You can have only one.

You would know the options don't have to be realistic (i.e. genie and a magic lantern). Some of you are really being overly sensitive about something you have already stated as not being realistic. But it has been discussed repeatedly on this board that this "FreeUAB Movement" was more than just about football. So as Whitmire indicated, of course we would want both. But if you couldn't have both and could only choose one option, which one would you choose? Pretty simple question IMO.

Yep. In my opinion autonomy takes precedence over the return of football. Without it the return of football will basically be a token gesture, which is all its ever really been.
05-18-2015 05:00 PM
GreenMississippi Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB / VCU
It's clickbait. Click it and nod. The guy has been great for us and we need AL.com to see our clicks and interest because that's $ they put into more UAB articles.
05-18-2015 05:07 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
Obviously there is a risk in reinstating football while retaining in place the governance that destroyed it in the first place after hobbling the program's facility development for almost 20 years. The only workable solution is one that embodies the successful elements of both choices to give UAB the best of both.

There are bound to be school BOTs that are considered trusted friends by member schools rather than a nefarious and intractable enemy of one. Of course, in Alabama we always seem to do things differently from other states.
(This post was last modified: 05-18-2015 07:24 PM by BAMANBLAZERFAN.)
05-18-2015 06:59 PM
iam4uab Offline
All American

I'll be honest, I would take the autonomy in that situation. The thing about autonomy is that you can't tell us that you can't make football the price for said autonomy. That's the great thing about it, once we have it, they have no leverage and we'll do what we want.
05-18-2015 10:31 PM
Advertisement

BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs
(05-18-2015 10:31 PM)iam4uab Wrote:  I'll be honest, I would take the autonomy in that situation. The thing about autonomy is that you can't tell us that you can't make football the price for said autonomy. That's the great thing about it, once we have it, they have no leverage and we'll do what we want.

+zillion
05-18-2015 11:09 PM
TheGORILLA Offline
1st String

I'll take door number 3.....
05-19-2015 05:05 AM
ICB Offline
Heisman

It may just be his way of saying, football is not the golden apple in this fight, autonomy is. Some people have already expressed the concern that if football, bowling and rifle is reinstated that the fight for representation will fizzle.
05-19-2015 07:20 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DrDragon Offline
Water Engineer

Whitmire poses an interesting thought question. In my opinion, UAB will never realize its potential with its current governance. If we could somehow get rid of the BOT, UAB would become the premiere university in the state (and the Southeast). UAB, UAH AND UAT each need their own BOT, with an overarching Board of Regents made up of reps from each of the 3 BOTs.
05-19-2015 07:40 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.