04-bow
05-18-2015 11:10 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BarsemaBone2 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, White Sox
RE: Article "Northern Illinois football is a lesson in recruiting "
Nicely done.

Only issue I have is how you break down the senior classes from year to year. Taking the recruiting class from 5 years previously works a lot of the time, but there are some instances where part of the senior crop is from the class 4 years previously. 2012 stands out because a big chunk of that senior class was from the '09 class rather than the '08 class. I believe 2010's senior class had a number of guys from the '07 class in addition to the '06 one.

The one that stands out the most is what you have listed for 2013. Martel, Perez, Jefferson, & Baxter were part of the 2009 recruiting class, but they didn't red-shirt and were done after 2012. They didn't have anything to do with the 2013 season.

Same with 2012 because Davis & Me'co both were gone by that time and Pegram didn't play at all that year due to an injury. 5th year seniors from that class were guys like Melvin, who you mentioned, Progar, and Schepler, I believe none of whom are listed as part of the '08 recruiting class on rivals.

Still, nice job pointing out how recruiting rankings only mean so much when it comes to mid-major programs like NIU.
05-18-2015 11:22 AM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

I Root For: NIU
(05-18-2015 11:22 AM)BarsemaBone2 Wrote:  Nicely done.

Only issue I have is how you break down the senior classes from year to year. Taking the recruiting class from 5 years previously works a lot of the time, but there are some instances where part of the senior crop is from the class 4 years previously. 2012 stands out because a big chunk of that senior class was from the '09 class rather than the '08 class. I believe 2010's senior class had a number of guys from the '07 class in addition to the '06 one.

The one that stands out the most is what you have listed for 2013. Martel, Perez, Jefferson, & Baxter were part of the 2009 recruiting class, but they didn't red-shirt and were done after 2012. They didn't have anything to do with the 2013 season.

Same with 2012 because Davis & Me'co both were gone by that time and Pegram didn't play at all that year due to an injury. 5th year seniors from that class were guys like Melvin, who you mentioned, Progar, and Schepler, I believe none of whom are listed as part of the '08 recruiting class on rivals.

Still, nice job pointing out how recruiting rankings only mean so much when it comes to mid-major programs like NIU.
There was only so many words I had to work with. I didn't want to get caught up in trying to explain the differences, I was just making a larger point. That's why Jimmie isn't mentioned too much because he obviously didn't take a redshirt either. He was another guy who wasn't highly recruited
05-18-2015 11:31 AM
BarsemaBone2 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, White Sox
(05-18-2015 11:31 AM)7 Wrote:  
(05-18-2015 11:22 AM)BarsemaBone2 Wrote:  Nicely done.

There was only so many words I had to work with. I didn't want to get caught up in trying to explain the differences, I was just making a larger point. That's why Jimmie isn't mentioned too much because he obviously didn't take a redshirt either. He was another guy who wasn't highly recruited

Understood. You may have been better off going by recruiting class instead of by season. That way you can give the broad scope of how good the complete class was, whether they be guys who played as true freshmen, like Spann, Martel, Baxter, & Ward, guys who red-shirted like Harnish, Na-Palm, Progar, Lynch, & Loos, and JC transfers such as Chris Smith & Ken Bishop, who were only here 2 years but were both 1st Team All MAC players.
05-18-2015 11:37 AM
beachboy Offline
1st String

I Root For: huskies
Since when is North Chicago High School "defunct?" That would be a surprise to the students who go to school there as well as the top boys basketball teams NC has produced in recent years. I agree that recruiting rankings have meant squat as far as the Huskies are concerned. This lends credibility to Hustle Belt. Then it makes a glaring mistake by referring to an existing school as "defunct." This takes away credibility to Hustle Belt. BYW, one of the reasons Turner wasn't highly recruited out of North Chicago was because he was a wingback, not a feature back.
05-18-2015 12:07 PM
Advertisement

huskiealum03 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU & Go Go Sox
great, enjoyable article to read. looking forward to more by you!
05-18-2015 12:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
niuguy Offline
The first in, last out!

I Root For: NIU Huskies
Wow. Good stuff!
05-18-2015 03:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NIURedBlack Offline
Heisman

Good stuff 7 02-13-banana
05-18-2015 03:40 PM
Who You Crappin'? Offline
1st String

Well done...well done...
[Image: 143870-tommy-boy-that-was-awesome-gif-iBlg.gif]
05-18-2015 03:43 PM
MileHighHuskie Offline
All American

I Root For:
awesome stuff 7
05-18-2015 04:23 PM
Advertisement

BobL Offline
Heisman

(05-18-2015 04:23 PM)MileHighHuskie Wrote:  awesome stuff 7

Agree, well done!
05-18-2015 04:30 PM
sarasotahuskie Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Donators
Nice job, G.
05-18-2015 07:27 PM
BleedsHuskieRed Offline
All American

Donators
I seriously fap to this stuff.
05-18-2015 07:29 PM
HuskieAlumnus03 Offline
Special Teams

Great Article! Keep the good work! Can you drop a hint on what you're writing next?
05-18-2015 09:13 PM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

(05-18-2015 09:13 PM)HuskieAlumnus03 Wrote:  Great Article! Keep the good work! Can you drop a hint on what you're writing next?

Not sure yet. I'm thinking either something on Hare or trying to break down the 3/4ish type system they went to on defense last year.
05-19-2015 07:27 AM
Advertisement

HuskieFootball Addict Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, NIU, NIU
(05-18-2015 12:07 PM)beachboy Wrote:  Since when is North Chicago High School "defunct?" That would be a surprise to the students who go to school there as well as the top boys basketball teams NC has produced in recent years. I agree that recruiting rankings have meant squat as far as the Huskies are concerned. This lends credibility to Hustle Belt. Then it makes a glaring mistake by referring to an existing school as "defunct." This takes away credibility to Hustle Belt. BYW, one of the reasons Turner wasn't highly recruited out of North Chicago was because he was a wingback, not a feature back.

good points beachboy.
05-19-2015 09:35 AM
beachboy Offline
1st String

I Root For: huskies
HFA is the only one who has my back.
05-19-2015 09:37 AM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(05-19-2015 09:37 AM)beachboy Wrote:  HFA is the only one who has my back.

Maybe the others have seen your back.
05-19-2015 10:19 AM
armour248 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(05-19-2015 09:37 AM)beachboy Wrote:  HFA is the only one who has my back.

Why do you need someone to have your back when no one said you were wrong? If you want you can pat yourself on the back for me. By the way it's fixed in the article.
05-19-2015 11:24 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.