Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Duke professor on leave after racist comments on NYT website
Fort Bend Owl Online
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
Duke professor on leave after racist comments on NYT website
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2...trage.html

Some of his comments probably ring true, but many are wrong and just highly inappropriate for him to post in a public forum. The professor insists he isn't racist or wrong.

He says at the end of his comments...

I am a professor at Duke University. Every Asian student has a very simple old American first name that symbolizes their desire for integration. Virtually every black has a strange new name that symbolizes their lack of desire for integration. The amount of Asian-white dating is enormous and so surely will be the intermarriage. Black-white dating is almost non-existent because of the ostracism by blacks of anyone who dates a white.

It was appropriate that a Chinese design won the competition for the Martin Luther King state. King helped them overcome. The blacks followed Malcolm X.

His name comments are a bit of an exaggeration. I also disagree on his dating comment (on both grounds really - I don't see the amount of Asian-white dating as being 'enormous').
05-18-2015 06:46 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

QuestionSocratic Offline
Banned

I Root For: Buffalo
RE: Duke professor on leave after racist comments on NYT website
Asian women are well known for their Taoist sexual adventurousness and variety.
05-18-2015 07:26 AM
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
(05-18-2015 06:46 AM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2...trage.html

Some of his comments probably ring true, but many are wrong and just highly inappropriate for him to post in a public forum. The professor insists he isn't racist or wrong.

I am a professor at Duke University. Every Asian student has a very simple old American first name that symbolizes their desire for integration. Virtually every black has a strange new name that symbolizes their lack of desire for integration. The amount of Asian-white dating is enormous and so surely will be the intermarriage. Black-white dating is almost non-existent because of the ostracism by blacks of anyone who dates a white.

It was appropriate that a Chinese design won the competition for the Martin Luther King state. King helped them overcome. The blacks followed Malcolm X.

His name comments are a bit of an exaggeration. I also disagree on his dating comment (on both grounds really - I don't see the amount of Asian-white dating as being 'enormous').

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that the Asian's have simple American sounding first names because no one would be able to pronounce their given name. Not sure it has anything to do with race or integration, etc. They just get tired of telling people how to pronounce thier given names, etc.
05-18-2015 08:04 AM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
(05-18-2015 08:04 AM)VA49er Wrote:  I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that the Asian's have simple American sounding first names because no one would be able to pronounce their given name. Not sure it has anything to do with race or integration, etc. They just get tired of telling people how to pronounce their given names, etc.

Not so much. Most Asian names are not hard to pronounce and you'll find even immigrants who move to a place like Flushing NY (which is 99% asian) also have an American name.

But even if it's for pronunciation sake that shows a desire to fit into the culture rather than demanding the culture fit into them.
05-18-2015 08:40 AM
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
(05-18-2015 08:04 AM)VA49er Wrote:  
(05-18-2015 06:46 AM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2...trage.html

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that the Asian's have simple American sounding first names because no one would be able to pronounce their given name. Not sure it has anything to do with race or integration, etc. They just get tired of telling people how to pronounce thier given names, etc.

Thats not true. I have known Asians couples in this area who came from China. Whereas they give themselves an Americanized nickname while retaining their Chinese legal name, their kids that are born here have only an Americanized name.
(Such as Steve, Susan, and Roger.) They did not give them a chnese name and an american nickname. Just an Americanized name.
05-18-2015 08:45 AM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
According to some people in the comments, the professor was already on leave. I certainly hope so. It would be absurd to put someone on leave for a comment like that.

It makes no sense to me that culture is how economic and educational gaps between whites and ethnic Ashkenazi jews or Oriental Asians are explained but suggesting they play a role with black social and economic problems is repugnant.
05-18-2015 09:15 AM
Advertisement

shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

I Root For: Southern Miss
SJWs UNITE!

Shitlord!
05-18-2015 09:29 AM
firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UF, UCF

Black people are more patient when telling people how to pronounce their given names.
05-18-2015 09:32 AM
200yrs2late Offline
Resident Parrothead

I Root For: East Carolina
(05-18-2015 09:32 AM)firmbizzle Wrote:  Black people are more patient when telling people how to pronounce their given names.

Agreed
05-18-2015 09:50 AM
VA49er Offline
Legend

(05-18-2015 09:32 AM)firmbizzle Wrote:  

Black people are more patient when telling people how to pronounce their given names.

No matter how strange, the names are still easier to pronounce though. I remember one kid names OrangeYellow. He pronounced it like "A'rangelo" but spelled it the first way.
05-18-2015 09:53 AM
58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

I Root For: Fire Ray Watts

BlazerTalk Award
He opened himself to employer discipline when he wrote "I am a professor at Duke University" as an Appeal to Authority.
05-18-2015 09:58 AM
Advertisement

shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

I Root For: Southern Miss
I don't even say my last name when people ask, I just spell it out.

It was annoying at first, but you get used to it.

Folks rarely will take the time to actually try to pronounce a "hard" name correctly.
05-18-2015 10:00 AM
JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
Sounds to me he's talking about current students and likely 2nd or 3rd generations or more.

Asian kids around here, parents came over as kids/students/young adults and have "traditional" names like Jun, Hwan or whatever, and all their kids are Alexander, Michelle, Jon, Peter, Jansen etc.

Can't speak to this relatively new trend with then indecipherable Black names, my friends were John, Andre, Harold, Marcy, Rodney, etc.

Now I go through the check out at the Grocery and don't have any idea what I'm looking at on some of those names tags...
05-18-2015 01:13 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
He isn't wrong...
05-18-2015 01:15 PM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12

Exactly. Which is why this man's comments are so racist.
05-18-2015 01:20 PM
VA49er Offline
Legend

(05-18-2015 01:20 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  

Exactly. Which is why this man's comments are so racist.

I don't think it was racist. And I was just speaking from my own personal experiences which are obvioulsy different from some other people's experiences. Everything isn't racist, you know.
05-18-2015 02:02 PM
Advertisement

Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

(05-18-2015 01:20 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  Exactly. Which is why this man's comments are so racist.

Is picking names which people are familiar with *not* a part of assimilation? My wife is Asian, born in Korea, and has Korean name. Her brother was born here and has an American name. Her parents have legal American names and all her cousins born here have legal American names.

That's part of the assimilation process. Like when many of the Irish dropped "O" from their name. Or when Steinberg became Stein.
(This post was last modified: 05-18-2015 02:08 PM by Bull_In_Exile.)
05-18-2015 02:08 PM
Monarchist13 Offline

I Root For: ODU
(05-18-2015 02:08 PM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  
(05-18-2015 01:20 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  Exactly. Which is why this man's comments are so racist.

Is picking names which people are familiar with *not* a part of assimilation? My wife is Asian, born in Korea, and has Korean name. Her brother was born here and has an American name. Her parents have legal American names and all her cousins born here have legal American names.

That's part of the assimilation process. Like when many of the Irish dropped "O" from their name. Or when Steinberg became Stein.

Some would call it white washing. And to even hint that this is how all minorities should act is racist on the professors part.
(This post was last modified: 05-18-2015 02:19 PM by Monarchist13.)
05-18-2015 02:18 PM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

(05-18-2015 02:18 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  
(05-18-2015 02:08 PM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  

Some would call it white washing.

"white washing" is itself a racist term. My kids have American names but Korean Nick Names given by their maternal grandparents. If I were to ever move to Korea we would have them use the later. Not to degrade their heritage but to help them function in society. I myself would likely try to take a different name to better fit in.
05-18-2015 03:10 PM
Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

I Root For: B-G-S-U !!!!
(05-18-2015 08:40 AM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  Most Asian names are not hard to pronounce and you'll find even immigrants who move to a place like Flushing NY (which is 99% asian)...

Ummmm...what?

From wiki:
Quote:Ethnicity
• White 19.7%
• Black 3.5%
• Hispanic 18.4%
Asian 44.3%
• Other 4.1%
05-18-2015 03:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.