Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Stetson might prove some folks wrong this year.
Bookmark and Share
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
I'm one of those who believe Stetson can be a good scorer for us. RBL has told us he saw him working on his outside shooting earlier this year. The kid was a prolific scorer in high school, and all those points weren't on dunks. I believe, given the chance, he'll come into his own this season and reach his potential as both a defensive player and a scorer.04-cheers
05-17-2015 11:30 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

insideualr Offline
Lord of the Trojans

2 foot put backs by a kid that is 3 inches taller than the others kids

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
05-17-2015 11:33 AM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR Trojans
RE: Stetson might prove some folks wrong this year.
(05-17-2015 11:30 AM)outsideualr Wrote:  I'm one of those who believe Stetson can be a good scorer for us. RBL has told us he saw him working on his outside shooting earlier this year. The kid was a prolific scorer in high school, and all those points weren't on dunks. I believe, given the chance, he'll come into his own this season and reach his potential as both a defensive player and a scorer.04-cheers

I'm one of them he'll have to prove wrong. Don't see him ever being a scorer at this level.
05-17-2015 01:43 PM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

I knew this would get some responses. You guys might be right. But maybe I will be. We'll have to wait and see.
05-17-2015 03:28 PM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-17-2015 03:28 PM)outsideualr Wrote:  I knew this would get some responses. You guys might be right. But maybe I will be. We'll have to wait and see.

He was a hell of a scorer in high school, and that was in one of the lower classifications. If he could score here, he would have done it by now. That's what they mean when they say "separating the men from the boys." Better competition sometimes will separates the scorers from the non-scorers.
(This post was last modified: 05-17-2015 10:01 PM by LRTrojan.)
05-17-2015 09:49 PM
Advertisement

mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-17-2015 09:49 PM)LRTrojan Wrote:  
(05-17-2015 03:28 PM)outsideualr Wrote:  I knew this would get some responses. You guys might be right. But maybe I will be. We'll have to wait and see.

He as a hell of a scorer in high school, and that was in one of the lower classifications. If he could score here, he would have done it by now. That's what they mean when they say "separating the men from the boys." Better competition sometimes will separates the scorers from the non-scorers.

I don't see Stetson ever being a star player at UALR. He is a great kid, who works his butt off and does everything he is asked. So I am hopeful he can be a role player who gets some minutes for us the next 2 years as a redshirt junior and senior. He can be a role model for younger players of how hard work and dedication can result in getting some minutes on the court.
05-17-2015 09:55 PM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-17-2015 09:55 PM)mjs Wrote:  I don't see Stetson ever being a star player at UALR. He is a great kid, who works his butt off and does everything he is asked. So I am hopeful he can be a role player who gets some minutes for us the next 2 years as a redshirt junior and senior. He can be a role model for younger players of how hard work and dedication can result in getting some minutes on the court.

I agree with all of what you've said. I hope he does become a star, because from everything I've heard, he's a great kid, and I'd also like to see him succeed because he's an Arkansas kid.
05-17-2015 10:05 PM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

I don't know that he'll be a star, but I think he has a lot more to offer than he's been allowed to show. The way Joe Kleine described him, he'll work like heck to do the things you ask him to do. Joe said he was his favorite player ever. Pretty good recommendations. With a new coach, he'll have every opportunity to show what he can do to win playing time. We'll just have to wait and see how it works out.
05-17-2015 11:19 PM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-17-2015 11:19 PM)outsideualr Wrote:  I don't know that he'll be a star, but I think he has a lot more to offer than he's been allowed to show. The way Joe Kleine described him, he'll work like heck to do the things you ask him to do. Joe said he was his favorite player ever. Pretty good recommendations. With a new coach, he'll have every opportunity to show what he can do to win playing time. We'll just have to wait and see how it works out.

I was like that too as a kid. I busted my butt to do anything the coaches told me, and while it was enough to play some high school football and basketball, and Legion baseball, and later college baseball, it didn't improve my talent a whole lot. In a lot of ways I was like some of the players we've had here. I didn't improve a lot as I got older. You can just go so far without a lot of talent. Lack of talent is hard to hide as you play better competition.
05-17-2015 11:30 PM
Advertisement

MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES
If Stetson get playing time, it likely won't be as a ball handler and shooter, but for his defense and rebounding.
05-18-2015 08:17 AM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

I recall one night he came in, scored five points and a couple of rebounds in about two minutes, and Steve took him out.
I asked Joe Kleine about it later when he spoke to a group I attend. He just looked at me and rolled his eyes and shrugged.
He didn't want to bad mouth Steve, but it was obvious he didn't agree with Steve's policy of taking a player out when he's doing well. At least that was my impression. And we all know, as much as we all like Steve, his substitution patterns were extremely strange to most of us. Especially MJS's wife!
05-18-2015 08:35 AM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-18-2015 08:35 AM)outsideualr Wrote:  I recall one night he came in, scored five points and a couple of rebounds in about two minutes, and Steve took him out.
I asked Joe Kleine about it later when he spoke to a group I attend. He just looked at me and rolled his eyes and shrugged.
He didn't want to bad mouth Steve, but it was obvious he didn't agree with Steve's policy of taking a player out when he's doing well. At least that was my impression. And we all know, as much as we all like Steve, his substitution patterns were extremely strange to most of us. Especially MJS's wife!

None of us ever made sense of his substitution patterns, although limiting Stetson's minutes was not one I had a big issue with.
05-18-2015 08:55 AM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

Well he'll be judged differently now with different eyes by a different coach, so maybe he'll still play limited minutes, but if he shows he can perform at a high level, he'll get a chance to play more. There will be no perceptions, one way or the other.
05-18-2015 10:00 AM
Advertisement

LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-18-2015 08:35 AM)outsideualr Wrote:  I recall one night he came in, scored five points and a couple of rebounds in about two minutes, and Steve took him out.

Steve didn't want a guy averaging about five minutes a game out scoring one of his top six players averaging about 30-35 minutes. How many times did one of our players score 30 or more points in a game under Shields? Don't remember too many times one scored 20 or more.
05-18-2015 10:51 AM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

I can't recall anyone scoring 30. I remember Matt Mouzy scoring 27 or 29 against Oral Roberts one game. That's the highest I can recall anyone scoring in a game. Maybe someone else can remember someone scoring 30 or more.
05-18-2015 11:35 AM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

Seems like I remember someone scoring in the 30's at least one time. May have come before Shields.
05-18-2015 12:14 PM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES
The last time anyone scored as many as 35 points was Brandon Freeman in 2005.
05-18-2015 01:45 PM
Advertisement

mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-18-2015 01:45 PM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  The last time anyone scored as many as 35 points was Brandon Freeman in 2005.

Thanks Pappy. Great to have you back.
05-18-2015 02:16 PM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-18-2015 01:45 PM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  The last time anyone scored as many as 35 points was Brandon Freeman in 2005.

Sure glad Pappy is posting again. I figured that if anyone would have know this, Pappy would. Thanks.
05-18-2015 02:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.