Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

B1G Boss Jim Delany now making over $2 Million a Year...
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
B1G Boss Jim Delany now making over $2 Million a Year...
Pays well being the Commish of a P5 League...a couple of things from the article:

Delany was credited with nearly $3.4 million in total compensation for 2013, including a base salary of $2,056,368 and a $1 million bonus. However, the tax return noted that $833,333 of Delany's compensation was reported as deferred payment in previous years.

Delany's 65-percent increase in base salary left him in the neighborhood of other Power Five commissioners. The Big 12's Bob Bowlsby made $2.5 million in 2013-14 ($1.8 million in base pay), and the SEC's Mike Slive received $2.1 million (almost entirely in base pay). The ACC and Pac-12 have not yet released their 2013-14 tax returns, although their commissioners previously had salaries that exceeded $2 million.

revenue in 2013-14, prior to ESPN launching the SEC Network. The Pac-12 reported the most revenue among conferences in 2012-13 at $334 million, although only 68 percent was distributed to its members given the Pac-12's full ownership in the Pac-12 Network and costs associated with the channels.

The Big Ten distributed 94 percent of its revenue to schools and the average payout was $26.4 million. Ten schools exceeded $27.5 million. Penn State was paid $24.8 million (due to NCAA sanctions) and Nebraska got $16.5 million (partial share after moving from the Big 12).

Big Ten deputy commissioner Brad Traviolia was the conference office's second-highest paid employee at $390,685 in total compensation, up 13 percent from 2012-13. Other high-paid employees: deputy commissioner of public affairs Diane Dietz ($269,570, up 28 percent), senior associate commissioner Mark Rudner ($240,196, up 3 percent), and associate commissioner Rick Boyages ($238,079, up 5 percent).

The Big Ten reported almost $12.4 million in 2013-14 income from investing in the Big Ten Network, resulting in $33.7 million that has been accumulated in a holding company. Those amounts do not include annual rights fees the Big Ten receives from the network. Fox owns 51 percent of the Big Ten Network.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...or-2013-14
(This post was last modified: 05-17-2015 07:49 AM by Maize.)
05-17-2015 07:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
RE: B1G Boss Jim Delany now making over $2 Million a Year...
wow, thats less than the average football coaches salary in the Big Ten.

at least he makes more than Tim Beckman or at least I hope so.
(This post was last modified: 05-17-2015 07:52 AM by goofus.)
05-17-2015 07:50 AM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
That doesn't include the money paid by UConn to keep us on his radar.
05-17-2015 08:11 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
(05-17-2015 07:50 AM)goofus Wrote:  wow, thats less than the average football coaches salary in the Big Ten.

at least he makes more than Tim Beckman or at least I hope so.

But is he as well loved by his minions as Coach Beckman?
05-17-2015 08:57 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
It doesn't seem like he is paid all that much more than his peers despite the fact that he has been point man for everyone's realignment moves.
05-17-2015 10:53 AM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
(05-17-2015 07:44 AM)Maize Wrote:  Big Ten deputy commissioner Brad Traviolia was the conference office's second-highest paid employee at $390,685 in total compensation, up 13 percent from 2012-13. Other high-paid employees: deputy commissioner of public affairs Diane Dietz ($269,570, up 28 percent), senior associate commissioner Mark Rudner ($240,196, up 3 percent), and associate commissioner Rick Boyages ($238,079, up 5 percent).

Jim Delany's base pay should be not much higher than the top of this range. If they want to bonus him to 3 million in compensation that is a different story.

Of course Jim Delany since he is 65 needs to put money away before retirement so the larger salary will help there.

03-lmfao
05-17-2015 12:01 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I'm okay with the college coaches making multi-million dollar salaries because they are in competition with Pro Sports on salaries and that is the nature of the industry. That is just where the market is for some of those jobs.

Giving these commishes a base of 2.5 million when their league is only pulling in 200 million in revenue a year seems too high. 200 million from the perspective of Wall Street is a small cap company.
05-17-2015 12:38 PM
Advertisement

adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
(05-17-2015 12:38 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  I'm okay with the college coaches making multi-million dollar salaries because they are in competition with Pro Sports on salaries and that is the nature of the industry. That is just where the market is for some of those jobs.

Giving these commishes a base of 2.5 million when their league is only pulling in 200 million in revenue a year seems too high. 200 million from the perspective of Wall Street is a small cap company.

You are okay Ethan coach making $4-5 million out of $80-120 million but not okay with Delaney making $2 million out of $200 million? I don't get it. Then you compared to pro coaches, well pro commissioners are making over $10 million per year. Roger Goddell famously made $40 million last year. Pro team execs make $4-5 million per year, including the Knicks GM making $12 million per year. Isn't that a similar comparison?
05-17-2015 02:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
(05-17-2015 12:38 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  I'm okay with the college coaches making multi-million dollar salaries because they are in competition with Pro Sports on salaries and that is the nature of the industry. That is just where the market is for some of those jobs.

market schmarket.

there is no requirement that Michigan had to go get its coach from the NFL, just like Stanford did not have to match the offer from the 49ers when Harbaugh left for the NFL.
05-17-2015 03:19 PM
XLance Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
Delany should increase his pledge to the Rams Club.
05-17-2015 04:42 PM
Advertisement

Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-17-2015 02:15 PM)adcorbett Wrote:  

You are okay Ethan coach making $4-5 million out of $80-120 million but not okay with Delaney making $2 million out of $200 million? I don't get it. Then you compared to pro coaches, well pro commissioners are making over $10 million per year. Roger Goddell famously made $40 million last year. Pro team execs make $4-5 million per year, including the Knicks GM making $12 million per year. Isn't that a similar comparison?

That is because being a NCAA commissioners have a highly specialized skill set that is not comparable to being an MLB or NBA executive.

Having the role as the commissioner of the ACC doesn't qualify you to become commissioner of the NBA. The role of an executive for the NBA players union for example would more so because you have experience with collective bargaining, something you'll need a background in as the NBA commissioner.

With schools hurting for revenue to compete in the marketplace and the conference office working as a service to its members schools an element of duty I believe should apply so that a minimal amount of that revenue is passed off in the way of a conference salary. From a shareholder perspective (in this case the university) it looks unjustified to compensate conference office with excessive salaries.

Most of those pro executives are managing organizations over 1 Billion+ in Net Worth plus of strictly a for profit enterprise so an element of duty doesn't apply. Some of the franchises approach Fortune 500 level of size so yes the mega salaries are much more justified.
05-17-2015 05:01 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
If Aresco is paid a hundred thousand dollars a year, it's about 95K too much
05-17-2015 05:01 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-17-2015 05:01 PM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  If Aresco is paid a hundred thousand dollars a year, it's about 95K too much

If the AAC is only making 50 million of revenue how is it possible to justify giving it 5 million to Aresco, the head of the conference office which works on behalf of its member schools? That is 10% percent of the revenue going to one person who didn't exactly earn it.

Is it because Aresco is an executive so we should pay a couple million to him so he can be another over compensated executive?

The commissioner of the MAC is making 350k base and that is a very good salary for an executive of an organization with 30-40 million of revenue a year.
05-17-2015 05:13 PM
Advertisement

Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
(05-17-2015 05:13 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  
(05-17-2015 05:01 PM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  If Aresco is paid a hundred thousand dollars a year, it's about 95K too much

If the AAC is only making 50 million of revenue how is it possible to justify giving it 5 million to Aresco, the head of the conference office which works on behalf of its member schools? That is 10% percent of the revenue going to one person who didn't exactly earn it.

Is it because Aresco is an executive so we should pay a couple million to him so he can be another over compensated executive?

The commissioner of the MAC is making 350k base and that is a very good salary for an executive of an organization with 30-40 million of revenue a year.

what are you talking about?

I'm saying if Fresco makes 100K a year it's 95K too much...the guy is a clown running a POS conference

He keeps this AAC is a Power conference talk going and it's laughable.

We are not and will not be a power conference....he needs to shut his mouth.
05-17-2015 05:15 PM
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
In regards to their pay being above their value? You cannot use a For Profit model in comparison to one from a Not For Profit model. Those Institutions are able to pay that amount and they know that by doing so it makes their Commissioners less susceptible to any counterpart Private Industry positions.
05-17-2015 05:20 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-17-2015 05:20 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  In regards to their pay being above their value? You cannot use a For Profit model in comparison to one from a Not For Profit model. Those Institutions are able to pay that amount and they know that by doing so it makes their Commissioners less susceptible to any counterpart Private Industry positions.

I don't think the role should be ultra compensated that is all.

If they want to give Delany a 1.5 million dollar performance bonus one year for negotiating the B1G Network I am fine with that but to give these guys more money for a base salary than what their title games are worth I believe is pushing it.
(This post was last modified: 05-17-2015 05:34 PM by Kittonhead.)
05-17-2015 05:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.