Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

P5 & G5
Bookmark and Share
HUSKIEFOOTBALLFAN Offline
All American

I Root For: Huskies
P5 & G5
P5, the power five and G5, the group of five. It's funny how the larger money conferences call themselves the power conferences and they call everyone else the plain and ordinary group of conferences. It's time the G5 either comes up with a better word than group or changes G5 to something else. Here are a few suggestions.

G5 - Golden Five
G5 - Great Five
B5 - Big Five
O5 - Outstanding five
BT5 - Big Time Five
05-16-2015 08:55 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bang Burger Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Victory
RE: P5 & G5
How about the Groped Five,

since we were molested by the Power Five
05-16-2015 12:08 PM
perimeterpost Offline
All American

I Root For: OHIO
LSotP 5.
05-16-2015 01:51 PM
Advertisement

prairiedawg Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU HUSKIES
Genuine 5
05-16-2015 11:00 PM
rtletterman Offline
Banned

I Root For: LawyersGuns n $
I swear if the p5 get their way, they're going to aleinate the fans of the "other 5" and it'll be the beginning of the end for their tv ratings. That's a big chunk of viewship to just tell that you don't care about them. Could start a groundswell of apathy to never be recovered.

Much like the baseball strike did to MLB for over a decade.
05-17-2015 11:01 AM
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
It would be bad if those "simulation votes" become official & follow-thru where the P5 teams separate off and do not play G5s at all, and instead form their own division.

The non-conf season would be more interesting -- but there would be pretty much next to no completely lopsided affairs (for better or worse). It would be more heavy-hitting games right off the bat.

But where would be the "underdog" drama & excitement? Indiana or Vandy beating Arizona State? Nice to happen more often even though not as inspiring, and you got higher travel costs for a still not-all-that-inspiring game (as opposed to Indiana playing Ball State; AZ-State playing Fresno -- both who are better than Indy & Vandy). And close-to-home travel costs are an advantage of playing each other.

But you would see an Advantage for a new D1-G5 conference:
- Better conf vs conf games for G5 followers if dropping FBS/D1AA teams (still doesn't make up for lost P5 games at all though)
- Isolated opportunity to make people watch; own rules to go by to try new things
- Ex: 12 team playoff out of 52+ teams

Bad Side:
- WAY less money coming in via P5 away game $$, even with some expected mild agreement for NCAA to ciphen some % from D1-P5 to D1-G5
- Would be tricky & difficult with such an adjustment to have G5 bowls for the rest of them; LESS G5 teams have a post-season
- Would likely result in lesser scholarship limit for G5 vs P5
- Expanded 8-team playoff in P5 would block any "it was better when" thoughts/emotions in reference to G5s/P5s sharing

IMO, if they make these moves and allow "all this to play itself out" -- in the long run, it will kill G5 and make them basically the new D1AA, and D1AA being lower. Money would be funneled from D1-P5 to them, enough to keep them active, but more schools would drop their programs in due time. IMO, it would be a bad move in the long run.
(This post was last modified: 05-19-2015 11:00 PM by toddjnsn.)
05-19-2015 10:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.