Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

C-USA Expansion
YNot Offline
All American

I Root For: BYU
C-USA Expansion
So, where is Conference USA going to expand to replace UAB?

With deregulation looming, I think CUSA ought to go big to compete with the MWC and American and to separate from the MAC and Sun Belt. Take the four from the Sun Belt and the four from the MAC with the best programs or most potential.

While it's not creating a juggernaut or anything, it would make a conference that is greater than the sum of its parts. It develops a bit more regionality while also creating more interest among G5 fans - where UTEP, Marshall, and Louisiana Tech fans will actually care about and tune in to what Northern Illinois, Buffalo, and Georgia Southern are doing; and vice-versa.

LONESTAR
North Texas
Rice
UTEP
UTSA

SOUTHEAST
Florida Int'l
Florida Atlantic
*Georgia Southern
Old Dominion

CENTRAL
*Appalachian St.
Marshall
MTU
Western Kentucky

SOUTHWEST
*Arkansas St.
*Louisiana-Lafayette
Louisiana Tech
Southern Miss

NORTH
*Buffalo
*N. Illinois
*Toledo
*UMass

For the 9-game conference schedule, you play the three teams in your division and six cross-division games, with at least one team from each of the other four divisions - and a scheduling emphasis on more matchups among proximate divisions (ie, more Rice v. LA Tech and North Texas v. Arkansas St. rather than UMass v. Rice or Toledo v. North Texas).

Similarly for Olympic sports, play 6 games against your division (H-H) and then 12 games against the other 16 teams, emphasizing matchups among proximate divisions and road-trip pairings to control travel costs.
05-15-2015 03:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Stay Cool Offline
The Masked Moderator

I Root For: NIU, tOSU, UC
RE: C-USA Expansion
Ugh no thanks. NIU wants to move upwards, not laterally or even downward...
05-15-2015 03:31 PM
True Bearcat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati
I don't think they will expand. I think the UA trustees and UAB administration have folded, and will be bringing Blazer Football back from the dead.
05-15-2015 03:33 PM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
[Image: 32909d1399404372-dart-refocused-looks-li...cepalm.gif]

[Image: tumblr_m3xwjiqstd1qi66kho2_400.gif]

[Image: e9t6yr.gif]
05-15-2015 03:36 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
C-usa might as well merge with the Sunbelt all sports members, then they won't have to compete with the Sunbelt.

13 c-usa +
9 SBC all sports
+ NMSU all sports
+ UMass and Idaho football only

= 23 all sports members.
+ 2 football only

UTA, ALR, UAB can join the WAC, or MVC
05-15-2015 04:00 PM
GTFletch Offline
All American

I Root For: Georgia Tech
I would think JMU would get a CUSA look...
05-15-2015 09:11 PM
Advertisement

PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
The problem for CUSA is there isn't a great pool out there for adding back to 14. Arguably they could sell off #13 and stay at 12.
05-15-2015 09:13 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
CUSA's TV deal only goes through one more season; 2015-2016.

http://www.conferenceusa.com/genrel/010511aac.html

They could wait as long as until February 2016 for announcing that 14th or beyond member just to not coincide with UAB's decision and after the decision is made on the divisional alignment.

I do think CUSA will at least go to 14 because it can. Every SBC school would accept and invite. The question is would it be willing to get ambitious and try to add some MAC schools by going to 16 or 18?

CUSA Quad format:

CUSA North (NIU, Toledo, Akron, Marshall)
CUSA East (Charlotte, ODU, FAU, FIU)
CUSA Central (WKU, MTSU, USM, LaTech)
CUSA West (UNT, Rice, UTSA, UTEP)

This way everyone gets the division they want while still getting to see a lot of other schools on the schedule every year.
05-15-2015 10:05 PM
cleburneslim Offline
1st String

I Root For: jax state
(05-15-2015 03:33 PM)True Bearcat Wrote:  I don't think they will expand. I think the UA trustees and UAB administration have folded, and will be bringing Blazer Football back from the dead.

I believe this show a bit of nievete on your part.
Most certainly a lack of understanding of the importance of the u of a in alabama.
05-16-2015 12:05 AM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
C-USA Expansion
(05-16-2015 12:05 AM)cleburneslim Wrote:  
(05-15-2015 03:33 PM)True Bearcat Wrote:  I don't think they will expand. I think the UA trustees and UAB administration have folded, and will be bringing Blazer Football back from the dead.

Most certainly a lack of understanding of the importance of the u of a in alabama.
They'll add it only if keeping it shuttered will hurt the Tuscaloosa campus.
05-16-2015 12:13 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
(05-15-2015 03:25 PM)YNot Wrote:  So, where is Conference USA going to expand to replace UAB?

With deregulation looming, I think CUSA ought to go big to compete with the MWC and American and to separate from the MAC and Sun Belt. Take the four from the Sun Belt and the four from the MAC with the best programs or most potential.

While it's not creating a juggernaut or anything, it would make a conference that is greater than the sum of its parts. It develops a bit more regionality while also creating more interest among G5 fans - where UTEP, Marshall, and Louisiana Tech fans will actually care about and tune in to what Northern Illinois, Buffalo, and Georgia Southern are doing; and vice-versa.

LONESTAR
North Texas
Rice
UTEP
UTSA

SOUTHEAST
Florida Int'l
Florida Atlantic
*Georgia Southern
Old Dominion

CENTRAL
*Appalachian St.
Marshall
MTU
Western Kentucky

SOUTHWEST
*Arkansas St.
*Louisiana-Lafayette
Louisiana Tech
Southern Miss

NORTH
*Buffalo
*N. Illinois
*Toledo
*UMass

For the 9-game conference schedule, you play the three teams in your division and six cross-division games, with at least one team from each of the other four divisions - and a scheduling emphasis on more matchups among proximate divisions (ie, more Rice v. LA Tech and North Texas v. Arkansas St. rather than UMass v. Rice or Toledo v. North Texas).

Similarly for Olympic sports, play 6 games against your division (H-H) and then 12 games against the other 16 teams, emphasizing matchups among proximate divisions and road-trip pairings to control travel costs.

No. Doesn't work for the MAC schools. Doesn't work for Old Dominion either. Doesn't work for Marshall, which needs to be with the Florida Schools for recruiting purposes. Just doesn't work - period.
05-16-2015 12:30 PM
Advertisement

DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
North Dakota State, Delaware and James Madison could be good shots for number 14 spot. Plus it looks like Missouri State and Northern Iowa wants FBS as well.
05-16-2015 12:35 PM
THE NC Herd Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
The only expansion that makes sense would be adding Ohio University, but there's no way they're leaving the stability of the MAC. I think CUSA is better of waiting to see what becomes of UAB football than expanding with another SBC team.
05-16-2015 12:37 PM
THE NC Herd Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
(05-16-2015 12:35 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  North Dakota State, Delaware and James Madison could be good shots for number 14 spot. Plus it looks like Missouri State and Northern Iowa wants FBS as well.

Northern Iowa would be good, but they would have to find a way to expand their stadium to meet FBS standards.
05-16-2015 12:38 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-16-2015 12:37 PM)THE NC Herd Fan Wrote:  The only expansion that makes sense would be adding Ohio University, but there's no way they're leaving the stability of the MAC. I think CUSA is better of waiting to see what becomes of UAB football than expanding with another SBC team.

The problem is Marshall, Charlotte and Old Dominion would at heartbeat leave for the AAC.

The future of CUSA seems to be more South Central oriented.
05-16-2015 03:54 PM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
C-USA Expansion
(05-16-2015 03:54 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  
(05-16-2015 12:37 PM)THE NC Herd Fan Wrote:  The only expansion that makes sense would be adding Ohio University, but there's no way they're leaving the stability of the MAC. I think CUSA is better of waiting to see what becomes of UAB football than expanding with another SBC team.

The problem is Marshall, Charlotte and Old Dominion would at heartbeat leave for the AAC.

If Cincinnati were to get the big promotion, Marshall could be next in line just so the AAC maintains some presence in the Ohio Valley. This of course implies that any MAC school doesn't make the grade, which may not be correct; the AAC could even try to go after Miami (OH) just to maintain some tie to the Cincinnati market.

Old Dominion could sneak into the AAC if an opening was created a few years from now just to maintain some continuity along the East Coast. Charlotte would pretty much need East Carolina to go to the P5, but they fit the mold of being an urban school that the Big East/AAC stuck with for so long. Both schools need to do some work on the football field, but either school has tremendous upside.

I think if UAB gets the boot for now it will be South Alabama, as the Jaguars are the easternmost team the West Division would tolerate. Georgia State or Georgia Southern give you some presence in Atlanta, but they're essentially in the middle of the East Division footprint. Having both USA and USM allows for deeper penetration along the Gulf Coast; even FAU and FIU being "in-state" on the Pensacola side of the Mobile market can help as well.
05-16-2015 04:45 PM
Advertisement

Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-16-2015 04:45 PM)chargeradio Wrote:  
(05-16-2015 03:54 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  

If Cincinnati were to get the big promotion, Marshall could be next in line just so the AAC maintains some presence in the Ohio Valley. This of course implies that any MAC school doesn't make the grade, which may not be correct; the AAC could even try to go after Miami (OH) just to maintain some tie to the Cincinnati market.

Old Dominion could sneak into the AAC if an opening was created a few years from now just to maintain some continuity along the East Coast. Charlotte would pretty much need East Carolina to go to the P5, but they fit the mold of being an urban school that the Big East/AAC stuck with for so long. Both schools need to do some work on the football field, but either school has tremendous upside.

I think if UAB gets the boot for now it will be South Alabama, as the Jaguars are the easternmost team the West Division would tolerate. Georgia State or Georgia Southern give you some presence in Atlanta, but they're essentially in the middle of the East Division footprint. Having both USA and USM allows for deeper penetration along the Gulf Coast; even FAU and FIU being "in-state" on the Pensacola side of the Mobile market can help as well.

I think the logic here is pretty good.

Generally I see the AAC evolving into an Eastern Seaboard conference with a few hold overs possibly like Tulane that have nowhere to go.

It will end up a 1-2 bid NCAA basketball conference but if you are Buffalo, Charlotte or Old Dominion that is fine because its your geographic region so that takes precedence.

If you are Ohio you may as well stick in the MAC with the idea of future MVC raiding to create a 1-2 NCAA basketball conference right where you sit.
05-16-2015 05:10 PM
True Bearcat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati
C-USA Expansion

Yep quite naive. Welcome back UAB!
06-04-2015 08:31 PM
UABGrad Offline
All American

I Root For:
(06-04-2015 08:31 PM)True Bearcat Wrote:  

COGSCOGSCOGSCOGSCOGSCOGSCOGS
06-04-2015 08:32 PM
Stay Cool Offline
The Masked Moderator

I Root For: NIU, tOSU, UC
(06-04-2015 08:31 PM)True Bearcat Wrote:  

I have no dog in this fight... but let's see if it ACTUALLY comes back first =p
06-04-2015 10:16 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.