Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Deregulation. Brilliant
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
Deregulation. Brilliant
Auburn and bama are undefeated going into the iron bowl. Bama wins. So then auburn and alabama play in the sec championship. Auburn wins. So two teams with one loss against each other go to the playoffs. Auburn vs alabama in the national championship game

Auburn vs bama 3 in one year

All sec
All auburn
All alabama
All the time

Thank you acc and bignot12, choose a team - AU or UA. Welcome to your new reality

Brilliant plan
05-15-2015 11:48 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Eichorst Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Nebraska
RE: Deregulation. Brilliant
This possibility is not unique to the deregulation scenario. This same possibility has existed ever since the BCS national championship game emerged and conferences added championship games. I agree the scenario is now slightly more likely, however.
05-15-2015 12:00 PM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
I'd love it if 2 teams from the same conference (doesn't have to be AU and UA) make the plus-one. Two P-5 conferences would be left out. We'd have an 8-team playoff the following year.
05-15-2015 12:30 PM
Advertisement

Eichorst Offline
Special Teams

(05-15-2015 12:30 PM)Chappy Wrote:  I'd love it if 2 teams from the same conference (doesn't have to be AU and UA) make the plus-one. Two P-5 conferences would be left out. We'd have an 8-team playoff the following year.

If the 4-team format continues on for a while, it's inevitable that a conference will get 2 teams in at some point. Now for some real craziness... what if 2 conferences get 2 in? Or 1 conference 3 in?

A repeat of 1971 with Nebraska, Oklahoma, and Colorado #1, #2, and #3 is always a possibility. Parity is greater in college football today, but conferences are also much larger, so I think it could certainly happen again.
05-15-2015 01:32 PM
Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

I Root For: The Bridge of Death
(05-15-2015 01:32 PM)Eichorst Wrote:  
(05-15-2015 12:30 PM)Chappy Wrote:  I'd love it if 2 teams from the same conference (doesn't have to be AU and UA) make the plus-one. Two P-5 conferences would be left out. We'd have an 8-team playoff the following year.

If the 4-team format continues on for a while, it's inevitable that a conference will get 2 teams in at some point. Now for some real craziness... what if 2 conferences get 2 in? Or 1 conference 3 in?

A repeat of 1971 with Nebraska, Oklahoma, and Colorado #1, #2, and #3 is always a possibility. Parity is greater in college football today, but conferences are also much larger, so I think it could certainly happen again.

Playoff representation is capped at 2 teams. 3 is not an option under the CFP format.
05-15-2015 01:37 PM
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
(05-15-2015 01:37 PM)Kruciff Wrote:  
(05-15-2015 01:32 PM)Eichorst Wrote:  

Playoff representation is capped at 2 teams. 3 is not an option under the CFP format.

wrong. There is no limit to the number of playoff teams.
05-15-2015 01:43 PM
Eichorst Offline
Special Teams

(05-15-2015 01:37 PM)Kruciff Wrote:  Playoff representation is capped at 2 teams. 3 is not an option under the CFP format.

Where have you seen that? Everything I've read makes it clear that they've eliminated such rules, though it's difficult to imagine the committee actually picking 3 or 4 teams from a single conference.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nca...s/2111419/

Quote:Q: The old BCS allowed a maximum of two teams from a conference. Is the same rule in place now?

A: No, all those limits have been lifted. Though unlikely, one conference could have all four semifinal teams if the selection committee decided they were the four best in the country. Or, a conference could have two in the semifinals and another two in the "host bowls" depending on how things shake out. The point is, the goal of the system is to create the most attractive matchups without too many arbitrary rules.
05-15-2015 01:43 PM
Advertisement

Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

I Root For: The Bridge of Death
Welp, guess I was wrong. Let's hope the PAC-12 gets 3 members in so the SEB1GXIICC will have none of it.
05-15-2015 02:09 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
IMO: The committee as currently composed is never going to put 3 teams from the same conference in the 4-team playoff. The committee by design is going to be inclined toward the kind of "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" logrolling that makes giving 3 spots to one conference extremely unlikely, even in the rare situation where 3 teams from one conference were good enough that AP voters might rank them 1-2-3.

"Rare" is an understatement. 1971 is the only time it's happened AFAIK, and even then the 1971 Big 8 1-2-3 was a post-bowl ranking, not the pre-bowl ranking that in the current system would lead to choosing the 4 playoff teams. The final pre-bowl AP poll in 1971 was: 1) Nebraska, 2) Alabama, 3) Michigan, 4) Oklahoma, 5) Auburn, 6) Colorado. Nebraska, Oklahoma, and Colorado all won their bowl games. Alabama, Michigan, and Auburn all lost their bowl games. (Nebraska beat Alabama 38-6 in a 1 vs. 2 Orange Bowl matchup.)
05-15-2015 02:23 PM
Advertisement

goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
all 3 teams from same conference would probably need to be at least 11-1, and no other conference champs with only 1 loss, to get invited to a 4 team playoff. even then, they might still take a 11-2 conference champ over an 11-1 3rd place team.
05-15-2015 02:39 PM
Eichorst Offline
Special Teams

(05-15-2015 02:39 PM)goofus Wrote:  all 3 teams from same conference would probably need to be at least 11-1, and no other conference champs with only 1 loss, to get invited to a 4 team playoff. even then, they might still take a 11-2 conference champ over an 11-1 3rd place team.

There could also be a situation in which the 11-2 conference champ is a team like Washington St or Northwestern. It's doubtful that either team has enough brand name to be in the Top 4 with an 11-2 record. So if the wrong teams win conference championships, it's possible a league like the SEC could get 3 in.

That said, it's still extremely unlikely, as I agree that the committee will seek broad conference participation vs 3 from a single conference.
05-15-2015 03:12 PM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
Deregulation. Brilliant
I think if every other team had 3 or more losses, you might see 3 teams from one conference, especially if two of them had only 1 loss.

Ironically the Big 12's lack of a CCG may be the best opportunity for that to happen, if three teams went 11-1 and were 1-1 head to head. Everyone else in the P5 would have to have 2+ losses.
05-15-2015 04:27 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.