Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Other interesting things going on at your school
Bookmark and Share
Usajags Online
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
Other interesting things going on at your school
We all talk about what is happening athletically, buildings, standings, recruits and the such. What else is your school up to???

Saw this article about the engineering school at South, thought it was worth sharing as something else that my school is doing that deserves attention.

http://www.al.com/news/mobile/index.ssf/...cart_river

What does your school have going on???
05-14-2015 03:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
RE: Other interesting things going on at your school
AState has the medical school opening. (New dean is the sister of Diana Ross)
Campus in Mexico is under construction.
July 1, Mid-South Community College in West Memphis merges into the system to become Arkansas State - Mid-South.
05-14-2015 03:36 PM
NCeagle Offline
NOT BANNED

I Root For: Ga Southern
We had a former University President Donate $1M to the school and got our recreation center named after him.
05-14-2015 03:45 PM
airtroop Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

South Alabama is also opening a brand new satellite campus in Gulf Shores, USAGC (University Of South Alabama Gulf Coast). Looks to be a pretty good size and the website mentions a gym and intramural sports. This campus will be offering four year degrees mostly in the hospitality arena. Great idea and great location.
05-14-2015 04:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
The NM Legislature didn't pass the capital outlay bill this year, about $250 million dollars, that would have gone to universities, k-12 and roads around the state, etc. So no new improvements for NMSU Academics in form of new buildings or renovations are on hold right now. Good news is so is UNM.

Our president (75 years old) will serve as bat boy for our Softball team in the NCAA Tournament. Apparently he made a deal with the team last year that if they got into the post season he would be there bat boy.

NMSU wins designation as core university of new FAA national center for UAS

Our Governor got rid of dead weight (idiots) on our BOR, when 2 BOR members terms were up. One abstained from voting 90% of the time after our new president came in and the other wanted all the money from the sale of alcohol at our basketball arena to go to an on campus program that educates the campus community on issues of personal safety and well-being, he would have been leaving anyway as he was elected mayor of Santa Fe. (I have nothing against some of the alcohol sales going into that campus program, but the sales of alcohol are to help generate revenue for the school.)
05-14-2015 04:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Usajags Online
Sun Belt Nationalist

(05-14-2015 04:21 PM)airtroop Wrote:  South Alabama is also opening a brand new satellite campus in Gulf Shores, USAGC (University Of South Alabama Gulf Coast). Looks to be a pretty good size and the website mentions a gym and intramural sports. This campus will be offering four year degrees mostly in the hospitality arena. Great idea and great location.

I think this is a great idea. I think I just decided for a great place for OCS!!!
05-14-2015 09:04 PM
Advertisement

Oldyeller Offline
All American

I Root For: Ga Southern
Construction begins soon at GS on the Military Science Building. As I understand the largest of it's type in the country. Link: http://cosm.georgiasouthern.edu/rotc/201...-building/

Also $33 million Engineering College building: http://www.statesboroherald.com/section/...cle/67666/
(This post was last modified: 05-15-2015 06:05 AM by Oldyeller.)
05-15-2015 05:58 AM
moehler Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
its very, very quite at App, unlike our former Chancellor, our newish Chancellor (been on the job a year), keeps everything close to the vest, I have no idea whats on the drawing board, if anything. That was one of the great things about our former Chancellor, he made great efforts to keep the alumi/fans up to date on what was going on.
05-15-2015 07:21 AM
GoBigRed26 Online
1st String

I Root For: stAte
(05-14-2015 03:36 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  AState has the medical school opening. (New dean is the sister of Diana Ross)
July 1, Mid-South Community College in West Memphis merges into the system to become Arkansas State - Mid-South.

In addition to these, construction is supposed to start this year for an on-campus Embassy Suites Hotel and Convention Center. It will be near the football stadium.

The Med school will be housed in our historic Wilson Hall after it undergoes renovations. Everything that is currently in Wilson Hall will be moving to our new Humanities and Social Sciences Building that should be ready to open in the Fall for classes. It has been under construction for about 10 years.
05-15-2015 09:22 AM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
At Charlotte we have light rail under construction on campus. Starting in 2017 (chances are it'll get delayed to 2018), students will be able to take light rail across the city. It connects to downtown and many of the other nightlife / cultural hotspots in the city.

It'll connect the campus to the city like never before, and should also encourage some (slightly) better development around campus.
05-15-2015 09:43 AM
ApexRedWolf Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Arkansas State
(05-14-2015 04:21 PM)CrimsonPhantom Wrote:  The NM Legislature didn't pass the capital outlay bill this year, about $250 million dollars, that would have gone to universities, k-12 and roads around the state, etc.

Imagine that. A state legislature not allocating money to education and infrastructure. 03-banghead

(05-15-2015 09:22 AM)GoBigRed26 Wrote:  Everything that is currently in Wilson Hall will be moving to our new Humanities and Social Sciences Building that should be ready to open in the Fall for classes. It has been under construction for about 10 years.

Hey, you cant rush perfection.05-stirthepot
Also, that building is HUGE! A lot bigger than I thought it would be.
(This post was last modified: 05-15-2015 09:58 AM by ApexRedWolf.)
05-15-2015 09:56 AM
Advertisement

eh9198 Offline
All American

I Root For: Little Rock
We just received the second largest donation in school history to construct a new Visual Arts building.

http://ualr.edu/news/2015/05/11/ualr-ann...y-history/
05-15-2015 10:03 AM
BurlingtonApp Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
App is currently in the process of building a new School of Health Sciences building. It's set to be about 200,000 square feet and looks gorgeous from artist renderings. They revealed it at a game earlier this year, but I can't find any pictures of it anywhere.
05-15-2015 10:20 AM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
(05-15-2015 09:22 AM)GoBigRed26 Wrote:  
(05-14-2015 03:36 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  AState has the medical school opening. (New dean is the sister of Diana Ross)

In addition to these, construction is supposed to start this year for an on-campus Embassy Suites Hotel and Convention Center. It will be near the football stadium.

The Med school will be housed in our historic Wilson Hall after it undergoes renovations. Everything that is currently in Wilson Hall will be moving to our new Humanities and Social Sciences Building that should be ready to open in the Fall for classes. It has been under construction for about 10 years.
This just reminded me that NMSU will be building an on campus hotel. It will be going next to the convention center that is already on campus. No time table as to when construction will begin. Students from NMSU's Hotel, Restaurant, Tourism, Management program will help staff the hotel.
05-15-2015 10:49 AM
itsmeagain Offline
1st String

I Root For: GSU
Well, were trying to take over a baseball stadium and its surrounding parking lots to turn into an extra wing of campus. Also, we're taking over the fifth largest university in the state as an extension of our own campus to make us one of the largest universities in the US. So there's that.
05-15-2015 11:24 AM
Usajags Online
Sun Belt Nationalist

(05-15-2015 11:24 AM)itsmeagain Wrote:  Well, were trying to take over a baseball stadium and its surrounding parking lots to turn into an extra wing of campus. Also, we're taking over the fifth largest university in the state as an extension of our own campus to make us one of the largest universities in the US. So there's that.

What university are you taking over, and does this any of his make anyone in Atlanta care that y'all play football???05-stirthepot
05-15-2015 01:04 PM
Advertisement

panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
(05-15-2015 01:04 PM)Usajags Wrote:  
(05-15-2015 11:24 AM)itsmeagain Wrote:  Well, were trying to take over a baseball stadium and its surrounding parking lots to turn into an extra wing of campus. Also, we're taking over the fifth largest university in the state as an extension of our own campus to make us one of the largest universities in the US. So there's that.

What university are you taking over, and does this any of his make anyone in Atlanta care that y'all play football???05-stirthepot

So ok, we get it. Dont post here. I mean its a non athletics thread.

And we are taking over Georgia Perimeter College. We will enroll 55k students in Fall 2016.
05-15-2015 02:34 PM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
Georgia Southern has a buttload of construction projects either happening now or about to happen.

1) Shooting Sports Education Center: Under construction right now. It's going to be the only one of its kind on a college campus and teach proper rifle and archery skill and maintenance. Built for our national champion archery team. Shooting Sports at Georgia Southern

2) New Health Services: Also under construction right now. It's going to be a two-story health complex that will even have the capacity to perform minor surgeries.

3) Military Sciences Academy: Scheduled to be completed Summer 2016. It will house the military sciences academy of GS and also serve as a multi-purpose classroom building.

4) Engineering College expansion: Money has just been allocated to fund a $33 Million expansion project to building another building for Engineering and other departments. Most likely going to replace the Forest Drive Building.
05-15-2015 05:29 PM
Usajags Online
Sun Belt Nationalist

(05-15-2015 02:34 PM)panama Wrote:  
(05-15-2015 01:04 PM)Usajags Wrote:  

So ok, we get it. Dont post here. I mean its a non athletics thread.

And we are taking over Georgia Perimeter College. We will enroll 55k students in Fall 2016.

From what I read, you guys are taking them over, but they will still have their own admissions and degrees. Kind of a wierd thing going on. How far is their campus from your campus?
05-15-2015 06:58 PM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
They have 5 campuses around the Metro. Both Penn State and U of South Carolina have a similar model.
05-16-2015 09:36 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.