Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Major College Football Attendance Down
Bookmark and Share
rocketinchitown Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
Major College Football Attendance Down
http://espn.go.com/college-football/stor...erage-2003

I know this was brought up before but posting because it directly says Northern Illinois and Akron.
05-14-2015 02:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

uakronkid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Akron
RE: Major College Football Attendance Down
Akron's home schedule last year was really bad. Kent, Ohio, and Buffalo were all on the road, and they're what most Akron fans would call say are the Zips' three biggest rivals. Nobody in Akron cares all that much about UMass, Miami, BGSU, or EMU.

This year, Kent, Ohio, and Buffalo are at home. Expect Akron's home attendance to more than double what it was last season.
05-14-2015 02:12 PM
niusfactuary Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU,Cubs,Bears

DonatorsSurvivor Runner-up
NIU had bad weather last year for their home games. It happens. Attendance is definitely an issue, but NIU's should rebound somewhat this year.

6 PM Thursday Aug 28 vs. Presbyterian – .19 inches of rain, 78/64, Wind (Avg/Max) 5/16
4 PM Saturday Oct 4 vs. Kent St. – .01 inches of rain/snow, 45/32, Wind 14/31
4 PM Saturday Oct 11 vs. CMU – 57/32, Wind 3/8
4 PM Saturday Oct 18 vs. Miami – 47/32, Wind 7/20
7 PM Tuesday Nov. 11 vs. Toledo - .1 inches of rain, 53/27, Wind 13/28
05-14-2015 02:39 PM
rocketinchitown Offline
1st String

Was that Akron's 2nd year with Infocision? That could also explain it.
05-14-2015 02:46 PM
uakronkid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Akron
(05-14-2015 02:46 PM)rocketinchitown Wrote:  Was that Akron's 2nd year with Infocision? That could also explain it.

Sixth year, actually.
05-14-2015 02:52 PM
rocketinchitown Offline
1st String

(05-14-2015 02:52 PM)uakronkid Wrote:  
(05-14-2015 02:46 PM)rocketinchitown Wrote:  Was that Akron's 2nd year with Infocision? That could also explain it.

Sixth year, actually.

Didnt realize its been that long already.
06-09-2015 11:19 AM
Advertisement

Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU
Are they comparing the same set of Div 1A/FBS schools that existed in 2003 versus 2014 averages? If not, then part of the reason for the decline is the addition of FCS-now-FBS newcomers onto the scene.

Beyond that, smartphones and the Internet fight for time nowadays, with some sadly trading outdoor game day experiences with staring at little screens (I know the Internet was entrenched by 2003, but it still didn't have that all encompassing aura yet). And television and sound systems get better - and cheaper - every year.
06-09-2015 01:55 PM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(06-09-2015 01:55 PM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  Are they comparing the same set of Div 1A/FBS schools that existed in 2003 versus 2014 averages? If not, then part of the reason for the decline is the addition of FCS-now-FBS newcomers onto the scene.

Beyond that, smartphones and the Internet fight for time nowadays, with some sadly trading outdoor game day experiences with staring at little screens (I know the Internet was entrenched by 2003, but it still didn't have that all encompassing aura yet). And television and sound systems get better - and cheaper - every year.

Per family income is down by almost $8,000-9,000 in the Toledo area. Not to mention the population decrease.
(This post was last modified: 06-10-2015 03:55 AM by Boca Rocket.)
06-10-2015 03:53 AM
UofToledoFans Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
Tickets for fan plans are also cheaper than single game tickets back in the early 2000's for Toledo. I dont think income matters much, seeing families have enough cash for Ohio State gear galore.
06-11-2015 01:34 AM
Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UMass
UMass attendance is up 241% since 2003, in which we were A10 champions and had attendance ave of 6665.5 to last years 16,088 and 5th in the MAC.

http://www.umassathletics.com/sports/m-f...10aag.html
(This post was last modified: 06-11-2015 08:53 AM by Steve1981.)
06-11-2015 08:53 AM
perimeterpost Offline
All American

I Root For: OHIO
What are the MAC's two greatest strengths?

1. Shared history
2. Geographical proximity

The key to increasing attendance is to create a culture where fans regularly travel to away games.
06-11-2015 11:18 AM
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(06-11-2015 11:18 AM)perimeterpost Wrote:  What are the MAC's two greatest strengths?

1. Shared history

The key to increasing attendance is to create a culture where fans regularly travel to away games.

We also need a top 25-caliber team ala a dozen or 15 years ago.
06-11-2015 11:51 AM
DICK Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(06-11-2015 11:18 AM)perimeterpost Wrote:  What are the MAC's two greatest strengths?

1. Shared history

Along that line, I was told by the Miami ticket office that the MAC has discontinued the program of giving a free away game MAC ticket to every season ticket holder. A step backwards, I would think.
06-13-2015 06:26 PM
Sam Minuteman Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UMass/USF
(05-14-2015 02:39 PM)niusfactuary Wrote:  NIU had bad weather last year for their home games. It happens. Attendance is definitely an issue, but NIU's should rebound somewhat this year.

6 PM Thursday Aug 28 vs. Presbyterian – .19 inches of rain, 78/64, Wind (Avg/Max) 5/16

It's a little surprising to see NIU with such low attendance considering the great performance on the field recently. Do they report on the turnstile or tickets sold (given away)? What is the NIU alumni distribution, guessing a lot near Chicago, do NIU alum tend to root for other schools (ND, Illinois)?

There seems to be some scuttlebut that NIU could be ready to level up and go to another conference. Obviously with a better schedule could come better attendance, and the recent scheduling of BYU is great for NIU, but I"m wondering if there is more than the weather that has been muting the attendance. Have the big games which could draw more all sold out? Thus limiting the average?
06-27-2015 11:08 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(06-27-2015 11:08 PM)Sam Minuteman Wrote:  
(05-14-2015 02:39 PM)niusfactuary Wrote:  NIU had bad weather last year for their home games. It happens. Attendance is definitely an issue, but NIU's should rebound somewhat this year.

It's a little surprising to see NIU with such low attendance considering the great performance on the field recently. Do they report on the turnstile or tickets sold (given away)? What is the NIU alumni distribution, guessing a lot near Chicago, do NIU alum tend to root for other schools (ND, Illinois)?

There seems to be some scuttlebut that NIU could be ready to level up and go to another conference. Obviously with a better schedule could come better attendance, and the recent scheduling of BYU is great for NIU, but I"m wondering if there is more than the weather that has been muting the attendance. Have the big games which could draw more all sold out? Thus limiting the average?

We haven't had any decent OOC opponents at home for a decade, unless you count Kansas. I guess Navy, but they aren't a big draw in this area and we had a bad team that year. Our big MAC games are always late in the year when it's cold, on a weekday night when it's even colder. That doesn't help. I think there is more than the weather that is muting the attendance, what it is exactly I'm not sure but I am sure there are a number of reasons.
06-28-2015 02:12 PM
ilovegymnast Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent State
This story just came out about Akron's attendance

http://www.ohio.com/news/local/universit...n-1.603992
06-29-2015 08:45 AM
Advertisement

Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
(06-27-2015 11:08 PM)Sam Minuteman Wrote:  but I"m wondering if there is more than the weather that has been muting the attendance. Have the big games which could draw more all sold out? Thus limiting the average?

IMHO, it is that NIU's current reality (a great school with a very strong regional education mission and a nationally recognized football program) has not eclipsed 100 years of perception (a so-so commuter school where you went if you couldn't get into UI, ISU etc and/or needed to stay close to mommy and daddy, oh yeah and a really sheety football program.)

Frankly, the university has been working overtime for 15 years to shed this reputation and it just doesn't seem to be resonating with the average NIU student and certainly not with the average Chicagoland sports fan. Don't even get me started on the mutually agreed upon hate/ignore relationship NIU has with the local DeKalb and Sycamore community and locals.

I have only one couple who are not NIU graduates or married to NIU graduates who are NIU fans. And that couple are NIU fans because they are literally the only couple in my group of friends who are not NIU graduates or married to NIU graduates.

The Campus Master Plan (if/when implemented) will turn NIU into a more traditional college campus and the continued investment in improving academics and programs will continue to pay dividends. NIU is looking at these changes over generations and decades as opposed to "look at me now" type marketing.

Here is what I think. I graduated right at the cusp of NIU turning the corner academics and athletics wise. When my generation's kids, and the generations of alum who have had kids after I graduated start to look for universities, you may start to see some of this perception change. But there is a lot, and I do mean a lot, of history of NIU being just a suitcase commuter school a couple notches above a community college. This is no longer the reality and not by a long shot, but the perception remains.
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2015 10:34 AM by Lord Stanley.)
06-29-2015 10:33 AM
HuskieAlumnus03 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NIU
I have a different thought on it.

Here's where the generational gap occurs. I'm younger(ish) and experienced a very different NIU. NIU was already well established academically and was a very popular choice for colleges for my HS graduating class, my freshman class was so big NIU didn't even have enough dorm rooms to fill the students and had to contract out rooms with UP and other hotels. First I remember my orientation in 2003, the orientation leaders were already talking about how we were the best football team in the state. Then 2003 season occurred and NIU was the talk of the town, which was awesome for my HS friends and I going back home and wearing NIU gear and folks talked NIU football. Football was very much in the forefront for the rest of my years, despite the disappointing last season of Novak. For me personally it was a huge part of my weekends, because i was one of the people that made the cannon go BOOM and watched games on the field!

That said, for those that are 35 years and younger, we are spoiled, and we expect a better product. I feel a better product has been put out year after year. Having a home schedule like last year, isn't very exciting. After seeing the national limelight and potential for NIU, having to play the bottom of teams in the MAC, its very MEH! Coming into the season with ALOT of question marks, Losing our away streak in a blowout fashion, losing NIU's homestreak, crappy weather. It adds up! That said, it boils down to schedule, this will improve with better teams coming to Dekalb, all thank to the new AD. Big games, fans turn out. @ Northwestern last year is a great example.
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2015 12:07 PM by HuskieAlumnus03.)
06-29-2015 12:06 PM
rocketinchitown Offline
1st String

I hardly believe Akron's is the worst in the nation. Sorry EMU but they take the cake on that one, at least in the MAC.

But seriously-- Youngstown St gets better attendance than UA?
06-30-2015 10:06 AM
Policiious Offline
All American

I Root For: NU, NIU
(06-29-2015 08:45 AM)ilovegymnast Wrote:  This story just came out about Akron's attendance

http://www.ohio.com/news/local/universit...n-1.603992
The perception challenges and marketing hurdles Akron is facing are very similar to those faced almost across the board by the entire conference.

As soon as that ESPN contract expires the MAC needs to move off Saturday night games to Thursday and CBS Sports & NBC Sports. Yep less exposure but fans are more likely to turn out for Thursday than TU&We. I don't believe the conference gains that much by having empty stadium games televised on TU&WE.

I would bet CBS & NBC would be more reasonable in terms of scheduling than ESPN.
06-30-2015 01:20 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.