Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UAB Announcement on June 1
Bookmark and Share
Cnelson203 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall; WVU
UAB Announcement on June 1
Kevin McGuire, of CFT, writes today that UAB will announce decision on football on June 1.

Here's the text of the article:

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com...l-freeuab/
05-13-2015 02:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
RE: UAB Announcement on June 1
I don't like the idea of Watts and crew having a couple of weeks post report to figure out a way to say no.

Also, looks like the C-USA meeting on June 8th will be anticlimactic.
(This post was last modified: 05-13-2015 02:37 PM by MinerInWisconsin.)
05-13-2015 02:35 PM
Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

I Root For: GA Southern
(05-13-2015 02:35 PM)MinerInWisconsin Wrote:  I don't like the idea of Watts and crew having a couple of weeks post report to figure out a way to say no.

From the article: "Conference USA has already made the decision to cut ties with UAB in the aftermath of losing the football program. Each Conference USA member must be a member in all sports, so the loss of football hurt UAB in that area, but if the school acts quickly to pretend it was all a bad dream then perhaps there is a chance Conference USA might reconsider its decision, which it should if UAB commits to bring football back to life."

Is the meeting on June 8 just a formality if UAB votes not to bring back football?
(This post was last modified: 05-13-2015 02:50 PM by Georgia_Power_Company.)
05-13-2015 02:38 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(05-13-2015 02:35 PM)MinerInWisconsin Wrote:  I don't like the idea of Watts and crew having a couple of weeks post report to figure out a way to say no.
What they (Watts &co.) are trying to do is to figure out a way to say no to football, *And* to arrange an invite to join a non-football conference, preferably (from their angle) the MVC, that will take effect immediately (i.e., 01 July 2015). That way they are gone from C-USA and can claim there is no way to get back in.

Quote:Also, looks like the C-USA meeting on June 8th will be anticlimactic.
From the time C-USA announced the June 8 deadline, I always thought that the real answer would already be publicly known for a couple of weeks ahead of time. Looks like it will just be one week, though.
05-13-2015 02:40 PM
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
(05-13-2015 02:38 PM)Georgia_Power_Company Wrote:  

From the article: "Conference USA has already made the decision to cut ties with UAB in the aftermath of losing the football program. Each Conference USA member must be a member in all sports, so the loss of football hurt UAB in that area, but if the school acts quickly to pretend it was all a bad dream then perhaps there is a chance Conference USA might reconsider its decision, which it should if UAB commits to bring football back to life."

Is the meeting on June 8 just a formality if UAB votes note to bring back football?

June 8th is the first day of C-USA board (presidents) meetings. They supposedly will give the final word on UAB's status but if UAB says no football on June 1st, the decision will have been made and the presidents can play golf on June 8th. Hopefully UAB will bring back football.
05-13-2015 02:43 PM
Bleacher Eagle Offline
2nd String

I Root For: USM
(05-13-2015 02:30 PM)Cnelson203 Wrote:  Kevin McGuire, of CFT, writes today that UAB will announce decision on football on June 1.

I doubt they would set a public announcement date just to say no to football again. They've already had enough bad PR and doing it again would just draw more negative attention to the situation and parties involved. My guess is they're going to reinstate the football program.
05-13-2015 02:55 PM
Advertisement

BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: UAB

DonatorsDonators
Watts evidently doesn't care what people think of him or his decision making.
05-13-2015 03:17 PM
jmusuperfan Offline
All American

I Root For: James Madison
good luck to UAB...I hope you all get your program back.
05-13-2015 03:26 PM
Saint Greg Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
(05-13-2015 02:55 PM)Bleacher Eagle Wrote:  
(05-13-2015 02:30 PM)Cnelson203 Wrote:  Kevin McGuire, of CFT, writes today that UAB will announce decision on football on June 1.

I doubt they would set a public announcement date just to say no to football again. They've already had enough bad PR and doing it again would just draw more negative attention to the situation and parties involved. My guess is they're going to reinstate the football program.

I agree. It didn't go over so well last time. Why do it again?
05-13-2015 03:33 PM
shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

I Root For: Southern Miss
I thought a decision had been made.
05-13-2015 03:37 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(05-13-2015 02:55 PM)Bleacher Eagle Wrote:  

If I were laying money, I'd put it on reinstatement but then what do I know, I predicted the Carr Report was going to say a UAB owned and controlled stadium was essential to UAB football.
05-13-2015 03:39 PM
Advertisement

PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
(05-13-2015 03:37 PM)shiftyeagle Wrote:  I thought a decision had been made.

Yeah, like IT WILL BE DROPPED.

Unless this new decision is a decision to bring it back.
05-13-2015 03:40 PM
CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

I Root For: Cajuns
That was a well-written article.

05-13-2015 04:02 PM
westsidewolf1989 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
(05-13-2015 04:02 PM)CajunFanatico Wrote:  That was a well-written article.

I see what you did there.
05-13-2015 04:06 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(05-13-2015 02:55 PM)Bleacher Eagle Wrote:  I doubt they would set a public announcement date just to say no to football again. They've already had enough bad PR and doing it again would just draw more negative attention to the situation and parties involved.
There isn't going to be a press conference on June 1. Simply an email/social-media announcement. If an institution is going to announce bad/unwelcome news, that's the way to do it.

Quote:My guess is they're going to reinstate the football program.
I hope you're right.
05-13-2015 04:06 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
I'd think that if they were announcing good news, they wouldn't wait so long to make it known.

Unless they actually don't know what they're announcing yet and they've given themselves a deadline to make a decision that can be announced on that day.
05-13-2015 04:19 PM
Advertisement

GreenSteve Offline
1st String

I Root For: Thundering Herd
(05-13-2015 04:19 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  I'd think that if they were announcing good news, they wouldn't wait so long to make it known.

Unless they actually don't know what they're announcing yet and they've given themselves a deadline to make a decision that can be announced on that day.

They may be waiting to get a few more on board. If news leaks of any additional donors stepping forward to chip in money in the next two weeks... you have your answer...

Viva La UAB Football!

GS.
05-13-2015 04:54 PM
Shrack Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
05-13-2015 05:08 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(05-13-2015 04:19 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  I'd think that if they were announcing good news, they wouldn't wait so long to make it known.

I have a feeling what Watts is doing is setting a date to try to end the reinstatement effort. I think they thought it was just going to go away and it has been much stronger than they expected. If Watts is as big a jerk as I think he is, he will do what someone else mentioned, announce that they are leaving CUSA and joining a non-football conference at the same time they announce they are not bringing back football. That would take a great deal of the air out of any continued effort to bring back football. If they stay in CUSA another year, regardless of the decision on June 1, the effort to bring back football will continue. Watts has to know by now the football supporters are not going to go away.
05-13-2015 05:26 PM
HogDawg Offline
Heisman

I Root For: LA Tech
I keep asking, but NOBODY from UAB has answered: How is it possible that Ray Watts is keeping his job? Why hasn't Watts been fired during all this? Who are his supporters? Don't the BOT's answer to the state of Alabama politicians? And don't those politicians answer to state of Alabama voters?
05-13-2015 05:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.