georgewebb Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice!
The Parliament AwardsDonators
NFL penalizes Patriots
Quote:FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
5/11/15
http://www.twitter.com/NFL345

NFL STATEMENT ON DISCIPLINE IMPOSED ON NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS FOR VIOLATING NFL POLICY ON INTEGRITY OF GAME

The New England Patriots were notified today of the following discipline that has been imposed for violations of the NFL Policy on Integrity of the Game and Enforcement of Competitive Rules relating to the use of under-inflated footballs in the AFC Championship Game of this past season:

For the violation of the playing rules and the failure to cooperate in the subsequent investigation, the New England Patriots are fined $1 million and will forfeit the club’s first-round selection in the 2016 NFL Draft and the club’s fourth-round selection in the 2017 NFL Draft. If the Patriots have more than one selection in either of these rounds, the earlier selection shall be forfeited. The club may not trade or otherwise encumber these selections.

Patriots owner Robert Kraft advised Commissioner Roger Goodell last week that Patriots employees John Jastremski and James McNally have been indefinitely suspended without pay by the club, effective on May 6th. Neither of these individuals may be reinstated without the prior approval of NFL Executive Vice President of Football Operations Troy Vincent. If they are reinstated by the Patriots, Jastremski is prohibited from having any role in the preparation, supervision, or handling of footballs to be used in NFL games during the 2015 season. McNally is barred from serving as a locker room attendant for the game officials, or having any involvement with the preparation, supervision, or handling of footballs or any other equipment on game day.

Quarterback Tom Brady will be suspended without pay for the first four games of the 2015 regular season for conduct detrimental to the integrity of the NFL. Brady may participate in all offseason, training camp and pre-season activities, including pre-season games.

Commissioner Goodell authorized the discipline that was imposed by NFL Executive President Troy Vincent, pursuant to the commissioner’s disciplinary authority under the NFL Constitution and Bylaws and the Collective Bargaining Agreement with the NFL Players Association. “We reached these decisions after extensive discussion with Troy Vincent and many others,” Commissioner Goodell said. “We relied on the critical importance of protecting the integrity of the game and the thoroughness and independence of the Wells report.”

Following are excerpts from Troy Vincent’s letters to the Patriots and Tom Brady:

From Troy Vincent’s letter to the Patriots:

“On May 6th, independent investigator Ted Wells issued his report regarding the footballs used by the Patriots in this year’s AFC Championship Game. That report established that the footballs used by the Patriots were inflated at a level that did not satisfy the standard set forth in the NFL’s Official Playing Rules and that the condition of the footballs was the result of deliberate actions by employees of the Patriots. The activities of the Patriots’ employees were thoroughly documented in the report, including through a series of text messages and telephone communications, as well as evidence of a breach in pre-game protocol. In addition, the conclusions were supported by extensive scientific analysis, as detailed in the report.

“Based on the extensive record developed in the investigation and detailed in the Wells report, and after full consideration of this matter by the Commissioner and the Football Operations department, we have determined that the Patriots have violated the NFL's Policy on Integrity of the Game and Enforcement of Competitive Rules, as well as the Official Playing Rules and the established guidelines for the preparation of game footballs set forth in the NFL’s Game Operations Policy Manual for Member Clubs. In making this determination, we have accepted the findings contained in the comprehensive report independently prepared by Mr. Wells and his colleagues.

“In determining that a violation occurred, we applied the standard of proof stated in the Integrity of the Game Policy: namely, preponderance of the evidence, meaning that ‘as a whole, the fact sought to be proved is more probable than not.’ This is a well-recognized legal standard, which is applied in courts and workplaces every day throughout the country. The evidence gathered during the investigation and reviewed in the report more than satisfy this standard and demonstrate an ongoing plan by at least certain Patriots’ employees to deflate footballs, to do so in a secretive manner after the game officials have certified the footballs as suitable for play, and to hide these activities even from their own supervisors.

“As you know, we regard violations of competitive rules as significant and deserving of a strong sanction, both to punish the actual violation and to deter misconduct in the future. In this case, the footballs were intentionally deflated in an effort to provide a competitive advantage to Tom Brady after having been certified by the game officials as being in compliance with the playing rules. While we cannot be certain when the activity began, the evidence suggests that January 18th was not the first and only occasion when this occurred, particularly in light of the evidence referring to deflation of footballs going back to before the beginning of the 2014 season.

“It is impossible to determine whether this activity had an effect on the outcome of games or what that effect was. There seems little question that the outcome of the AFC Championship Game was not affected. But this has never been a significant factor in assessing discipline. There are many factors which affect the outcome of a game. It is an inherently speculative exercise to try to assign specific weight to any one factor. The key consideration in any case like this is that the playing rules exist for a reason, and all clubs are entitled to expect that the playing rules will be followed by participating teams. Violations that diminish the league's reputation for integrity and fair play cannot be excused simply because the precise impact on the final score cannot be determined.

“Here, there are several factors that merit strong consideration in assessing discipline. The first is the club’s prior record. In 2007 the club and several individuals were sanctioned for videotaping signals of opposing defensive coaches in violation of the Constitution and Bylaws. Under the Integrity of the Game Policy, this prior violation of competitive rules was properly considered in determining the discipline in this case.

“Another important consideration identified in the Policy is ‘the extent to which the club and relevant individuals cooperated with the investigation.’ The Wells report identifies two significant failures in this respect. The first involves the refusal by the club’s attorneys to make Mr. McNally available for an additional interview, despite numerous requests by Mr. Wells and a cautionary note in writing of the club’s obligation to cooperate in the investigation. The second was the failure of Tom Brady to produce any electronic evidence (emails, texts, etc.), despite being offered extraordinary safeguards by the investigators to protect unrelated personal information. Although we do not hold the club directly responsible for Mr. Brady’s refusal to cooperate, it remains significant that the quarterback of the team failed to cooperate fully with the investigation.

“Finally, it is significant that key witnesses – Mr. Brady, Mr. Jastremski, and Mr. McNally - were not fully candid during the investigation.

“In accepting the findings of the report, we note that the report identified no evidence of wrongdoing or knowledge of wrongdoing on the part of any member of the coaching staff, including Head Coach Bill Belichick, or by any Patriots’ staff member other than Mr. Jastremski and Mr. McNally, including head equipment manager Dave Schoenfeld. Similarly, the Wells report is clear that Patriots ownership and executives did not participate in any way in the misconduct, or have knowledge of the misconduct.

“Nonetheless, it remains a fundamental principle that the club is responsible for the actions of club employees. This principle has been applied to many prior cases. Thus, while no discipline should or will be imposed personally on any owner or executive at the Patriots, discipline is appropriately imposed on the club.”

From Troy Vincent’s letter to Tom Brady:

“With respect to your particular involvement, the report established that there is substantial and credible evidence to conclude you were at least generally aware of the actions of the Patriots’ employees involved in the deflation of the footballs and that it was unlikely that their actions were done without your knowledge. Moreover, the report documents your failure to cooperate fully and candidly with the investigation, including by refusing to produce any relevant electronic evidence (emails, texts, etc.), despite being offered extraordinary safeguards by the investigators to protect unrelated personal information, and by providing testimony that the report concludes was not plausible and contradicted by other evidence.

“Your actions as set forth in the report clearly constitute conduct detrimental to the integrity of and public confidence in the game of professional football. The integrity of the game is of paramount importance to everyone in our league, and requires unshakable commitment to fairness and compliance with the playing rules. Each player, no matter how accomplished and otherwise respected, has an obligation to comply with the rules and must be held accountable for his actions when those rules are violated and the public’s confidence in the game is called into question.”

###
05-11-2015 09:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

georgewebb Offline
Heisman

RE: NFL penalizes Patriots
Brady comes in for an especially damning assessment of his character:

"...it remains significant that the quarterback of the team failed to cooperate fully with the investigation." --> "Brady is a weasel"

"...providing testimony that the report concludes was not plausible and contradicted by other evidence." --> "Brady is a liar"
05-11-2015 09:05 PM
WeatherfordOwl Offline
1st String

I Root For:
I don't really care much about this story in the great scheme of things, and don't have any strong feelings about how the NFL penalized the Patriots and Brady, although the million dollar fine seems like a joke to me. What I don't understand is how the NFL sets itself up as the lily white adjudicator in this whole affair when it is the league itself who maintained the very poor and ineffective policy of leaving the game balls accessible to the home team for over two hours after the referees had checked them over. That kind of quality assurance practice wouldn't survive any kind of audit in the rest of the business world or the defense industry. Why weren't those balls in bonded storage?
05-11-2015 10:48 PM
Hardball Owl Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: students

New Orleans BowlFootball Genius
While I understand that the NFL must enforce its rules I don't understand the underlying purpose of the rule with a very restricted inflation range. If a team prefers 11 lb. inflation or 15 lb. inflation, why isn't that ok? I suppose there might be concern about too soft a ball being used for running plays or too hard for kicking plays.
05-11-2015 11:29 PM
Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(05-11-2015 10:48 PM)WeatherfordOwl Wrote:  I don't really care much about this story in the great scheme of things, and don't have any strong feelings about how the NFL penalized the Patriots and Brady, although the million dollar fine seems like a joke to me. What I don't understand is how the NFL sets itself up as the lily white adjudicator in this whole affair when it is the league itself who maintained the very poor and ineffective policy of leaving the game balls accessible to the home team for over two hours after the referees had checked them over. That kind of quality assurance practice wouldn't survive any kind of audit in the rest of the business world or the defense industry. Why weren't those balls in bonded storage?

+1 My thoughts exactly.
05-12-2015 06:27 AM
Advertisement

Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(05-12-2015 06:27 AM)Tiki Owl Wrote:  
(05-11-2015 10:48 PM)WeatherfordOwl Wrote:  I don't really care much about this story in the great scheme of things, and don't have any strong feelings about how the NFL penalized the Patriots and Brady, although the million dollar fine seems like a joke to me. What I don't understand is how the NFL sets itself up as the lily white adjudicator in this whole affair when it is the league itself who maintained the very poor and ineffective policy of leaving the game balls accessible to the home team for over two hours after the referees had checked them over. That kind of quality assurance practice wouldn't survive any kind of audit in the rest of the business world or the defense industry. Why weren't those balls in bonded storage?
+1 My thoughts exactly.

I have some similar feelings about this as I do about the steroids issue in baseball. When your controls are sloppy for generations, people do things. Tom Brady is not the first NFL quarterback, nor I daresay the first Super Bowl winning quarterback, to have footballs "adjusted" to his taste, just as Bonds, Palmeiro, Sosa, et al, were not the first MLB players to try to boost performances by using substances that may have been illegal. When they get caught, the league goes all Captain Renault with shock and indignation over things that had previously gotten a wink and a nod.
05-12-2015 07:02 AM
Fort Bend Owl Online
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
It's also probably not a coincidence that they announced the fine and suspension during the middle of the NBA playoffs in the hope of getting publicity at the expense of the NBA. The NFL continues to trend more and more towards the way of the old WWF/WWE.
05-12-2015 07:58 AM
Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

I Root For: Rice
I am trying to figure out how Minnesota got away with heating footballs last december but the crazy hammer of Goodell comes down on this case where the best Wells could come up with is "more than likely"

This will come down on appeal.
05-12-2015 11:20 AM
Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/13/sports...anery.html

Full disclosure : I am a die hard pats fan (most here probably know that already)
05-12-2015 05:10 PM
Advertisement

Chef Owl Offline
Stay hungry my friends!

I Root For: The Rice Owls

The Parliament Awards
It does not help that the Patriots have already set a precedent for cheating.
05-15-2015 12:07 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
davidw Offline
Special Teams

Where Brady cannot absolve himself is that he did the dirty deed AFTER the refs had already checked the balls. Guilty, your Honor.

Personally I think teams should be allowed to manipulate ball pressure, steal signs as in baseball, etc, but it has to be IN THE RULEBOOK.
05-15-2015 07:20 AM
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

(05-15-2015 07:20 AM)davidw Wrote:  Personally I think teams should be allowed to manipulate ball pressure, steal signs as in baseball, etc, but it has to be IN THE RULEBOOK.

It is not clear why those two examples would be even be put in the same sentence. Doctoring the implement of play is not even in the same category as deciphering the opponent's public signal-calling (something that football defenses try to do every bit as much as baseball offenses). If one wants to analogize to baseball, an analogy would be the pitcher scuffing the ball (which, of course, is against the rules).
05-15-2015 09:23 AM
NolaOwl Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: RU, StL & NOL

New Orleans Bowl
(05-15-2015 09:23 AM)georgewebb Wrote:  
(05-15-2015 07:20 AM)davidw Wrote:  Personally I think teams should be allowed to manipulate ball pressure, steal signs as in baseball, etc, but it has to be IN THE RULEBOOK.

It is not clear why those two examples would be even be put in the same sentence. Doctoring the implement of play is not even in the same category as deciphering the opponent's public signal-calling (something that football defenses try to do every bit as much as baseball offenses). If one wants to analogize to baseball, an analogy would be the pitcher scuffing the ball (which, of course, is against the rules).

Or corking a bat. Also against the rules.
05-15-2015 11:16 PM
Advertisement

NolaOwl Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: RU, StL & NOL

New Orleans Bowl
I have no dog in this fight as I am not a fan of either the Colts or Patriots. I can't see how slightly deflating the balls for Brady could affect a game where the Colts were crushed.

Yet it is pretty clear that Brady and the team knew what they were doing was ethically questionable. And his refusal to cooperate with the NFL investigation suggests he knew he had something to hide. IMHO, the punishment is justified although the quantum seems odd given what other offenses get.
05-15-2015 11:21 PM
Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

Thankfully, "more probably than not" is not a sufficient burden of proof to anyone but Goodell

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/09/0...M720150903

Woo hoo!
09-03-2015 12:55 PM
d1owls4life Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: the Rice Owls!

New Orleans Bowl
(09-03-2015 12:55 PM)Antarius Wrote:  Thankfully, "more probably than not" is not a sufficient burden of proof to anyone but Goodell

Woo hoo!

While the judge poked holes in the NFL's case, that really wasn't on trial here. The judge could have completely disagreed with the conclusions of the Wells Report and still sided with the NFL. The case was about whether the NFL followed the CBA and clearly it didn't.
09-03-2015 12:58 PM
Tomball Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-03-2015 12:55 PM)Antarius Wrote:  Thankfully, "more probably than not" is not a sufficient burden of proof to anyone but Goodell

Woo hoo!

It's good enough in a civil case, to which this situation is more akin.
09-03-2015 01:06 PM
Advertisement

WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

New Orleans Bowl
Just add this to the Patriots history of improper video recording, wiretapping, etc. Brady walks but he's guilty in the Court of Public Opinion.
09-03-2015 03:01 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
The NFL did not really have a case here. Not in terms of the kinds of evidence required to prove anything in a court of law. They could--and did--have enough to sling a lot of mud, but nothing that really proves anything. Brady got the proper result.

That is not to say that the balls were properly inflated--they weren't. That's not to say that Brady knew nothing about it--he probably did. But the NFL's evidence is insufficient to constitute proof.
09-03-2015 09:49 PM
CrabCake Away
2nd String

I Root For: Underdogs
(09-03-2015 03:01 PM)WMD Owl Wrote:  Just add this to the Patriots history of improper video recording, wiretapping, etc. Brady walks but he's guilty in the Court of Public Opinion.

Yes, it truly is a shame that this will be added to the list - a list which shouldn't exist in the first place! What does that say about "professional" sports? Or, better yet, what is the message being sent to our youth?
09-03-2015 11:59 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.