Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The future of Temple football
loki_the_bubba Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
The future of Temple football
No vote scheduled on proposed on-campus stadium: http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/owlsinq/Source-.html

Lease at the Eagles stadium runs out in 2017 and some say they can't afford it.

Where do they go from here?
05-08-2015 08:05 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
RE: The future of Temple football
Drop football?
05-08-2015 08:12 AM
loki_the_bubba Offline
Heisman

(05-08-2015 08:12 AM)MplsBison Wrote:  Drop football?

Seems unlikely. Maybe play a few years at Penn again while they get their act together?
05-08-2015 08:20 AM
goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
i am sure the A-10 will take them back if they drop football. Big east not really an option as long as Nova is there.

not sure if the MAC would take them back for football only. Maybe the sunbelt.

Uconn and Cincy have made it well known they want to move to a P5. if they leave the AAC, Temple does not have much incentive left to stay in the AAC.
05-08-2015 08:26 AM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(05-08-2015 08:20 AM)loki_the_bubba Wrote:  
(05-08-2015 08:12 AM)MplsBison Wrote:  Drop football?

Seems unlikely. Maybe play a few years at Penn again while they get their act together?

If they can't get their act together now, they probably won't ever.
05-08-2015 08:27 AM
ValleyBoy Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: GaSo,Troy
(05-08-2015 08:26 AM)goofus Wrote:  i am sure the A-10 will take them back if they drop football. Big east not really an option as long as Nova is there.

Uconn and Cincy have made it well known they want to move to a P5. if they leave the AAC, Temple does not have much incentive left to stay in the AAC.

The SunBelt is not going to take Temple Fooball only. They can just join UMASS as a homeless football program.
05-08-2015 09:00 AM
Advertisement

CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
Temple has home games this year against PSU and ND. If they can't leverage that into a new stadium deal of some sort, then they're screwed. They've got two years to figure it out, or pony up the extra $$ to stay at the Linc.
05-08-2015 09:06 AM
westwolf Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: CFB
(05-08-2015 08:26 AM)goofus Wrote:  Uconn and Cincy have made it well known they want to move to a P5.

People in Hell want ice water, it is said.
05-08-2015 09:09 AM
NJ2MDTerp Offline
1st String

I Root For: Maryland
(05-08-2015 09:06 AM)CommuterBob Wrote:  Temple has home games this year against PSU and ND. If they can't leverage that into a new stadium deal of some sort, then they're screwed. They've got two years to figure it out, or pony up the extra $$ to stay at the Linc.
Temple won't have trouble filling Lincoln Field as long as it plays big name opponents. The problem is persuading students and football fans to attend games played against AAC and similar level opponents.
05-08-2015 09:12 AM
loki_the_bubba Offline
Heisman

(05-08-2015 09:12 AM)NJ2MDTerp Wrote:  
(05-08-2015 09:06 AM)CommuterBob Wrote:  Temple has home games this year against PSU and ND. If they can't leverage that into a new stadium deal of some sort, then they're screwed. They've got two years to figure it out, or pony up the extra $$ to stay at the Linc.
Temple won't have trouble filling Lincoln Field as long as it plays big name opponents. The problem is persuading students and football fans to attend games played against AAC and similar level opponents.

What is a realistic estimate of butts in the seats for a Tulane or Tulsa game at Temple? Obviously PSU and Notre Dame will take care of the sell-out themselves.
05-08-2015 09:19 AM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU

They shouldn't have to pony up extra money to stay at the Linc. That stadium was 50% paid for by public money, and Temple is a public school. There needs to be some political pressure put on the Eagles to let Temple stay at a reasonable rate.

That said, I wonder how much of this is actually just Temple posturing to raise support for a new OCS. This article is a year old, but it makes it seem like Temple might be exaggerating any negotiations they've had with the Eagles: http://articles.philly.com/2014-04-12/sp...t-theobald
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2015 09:57 AM by Chappy.)
05-08-2015 09:35 AM
Advertisement

MplsBison Offline
Banned

(05-08-2015 09:35 AM)Chappy Wrote:  

They shouldn't have to pony up extra money to stay at the Linc. That stadium was 50% paid for by public money, and Temple is a public school. There needs to be some political pressure put on the Eagles to let Temple stay at a reasonable rate.

That said, I wonder how much of this is actually just Temple posturing to raise support for a new OCS. This article is a year old, but it makes it seem like Temple mike be exaggeration any negotiations they've had with the Eagles: http://articles.philly.com/2014-04-12/sp...t-theobald

I think Temple is something like "quasi-Public".
05-08-2015 09:49 AM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

What were Temple's attendance numbers in the Old Big East?
05-08-2015 09:50 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
(05-08-2015 09:50 AM)MplsBison Wrote:  

Atrocious in the 90's, mediocre after they were reinstated into the Big East/AAC. Temple is close to getting their stride and developing a nice following...a 30-35k stadium expandable to 40-45k would do wonders for them if built close to the main campus.
05-08-2015 09:55 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
Honesty time:

If you're not a "Power 5" conference school, you're Division 1 football days are numbered.

The fate of non-Power conference football schools can be broken down into 3 basic categories:
1) For a select and extremely small number of schools, they will get an invite into the "Power" world and will stay in Division 1.
2) A number of schools will DROP football altogether and keep their other sports at Division 1 by moving their sports into a non-FB conference.
3) A number of schools will REDUCE their football to FCS or lower levels and move into an FCS/D1 All-sports conference.

I don't see Temple being in group 1.
I could see Temple moving into a conference like the NEC... So maybe #3.
But I think Temple likely fits best into Group #2, where they discontinue FB and move into a conference like the A10.
05-08-2015 10:05 AM
NJ2MDTerp Offline
1st String

(05-08-2015 09:50 AM)MplsBison Wrote:  

Not sure about the old Big East, but Temple's home attendance averaged somewhere in the high teens while in the MAC and the low twenties in the AAC.
05-08-2015 10:10 AM
Advertisement

NJ2MDTerp Offline
1st String

(05-08-2015 09:19 AM)loki_the_bubba Wrote:  

What is a realistic estimate of butts in the seats for a Tulane or Tulsa game at Temple? Obviously PSU and Notre Dame will take care of the sell-out themselves.
Low twenties paid attendance. Whatever momentum Temple gained during the Al Golden years was lost by Golden's successor, Steve Addazio. But Matt Rhule has turned around the program, bringing in better quality recruits. It's just a matter of Temple developing a fan base. Realignment has hurt the program in that there are no regional opponents, e.g. Rutgers, Maryland, Cuse, Boston College, etc., for Temple to schedule annually.
05-08-2015 10:18 AM
mikeinsec127 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
(05-08-2015 10:05 AM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  Honesty time:

If you're not a "Power 5" conference school, you're Division 1 football days are numbered.

The fate of non-Power conference football schools can be broken down into 3 basic categories:
1) For a select and extremely small number of schools, they will get an invite into the "Power" world and will stay in Division 1.
2) A number of schools will DROP football altogether and keep their other sports at Division 1 by moving their sports into a non-FB conference.
3) A number of schools will REDUCE their football to FCS or lower levels and move into an FCS/D1 All-sports conference.

I don't see Temple being in group 1.
I could see Temple moving into a conference like the NEC... So maybe #3.
But I think Temple likely fits best into Group #2, where they discontinue FB and move into a conference like the A10.

If the B12 isn't forced to expand to 12 to have a CCG, I wouldn't be sure your first option is viable.
I would venture that a good number of G5 schools drop or reduce football, if there is no further realignment.
After that, whatever schools are left at FBS; say the top of AAC, MWC and a few CUSA/MAC schools, form a new conference on the line of the attempted BE all over conference.
05-08-2015 10:20 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(05-08-2015 10:18 AM)NJ2MDTerp Wrote:  
(05-08-2015 09:19 AM)loki_the_bubba Wrote:  

Low twenties paid attendance. Whatever momentum Temple gained during the Al Golden years was lost by Golden's successor, Steve Addazio. But Matt Rhule has turned around the program, bringing in better quality recruits. It's just a matter of Temple developing a fan base. Realignment has hurt the program in that there are no regional opponents, e.g. Rutgers, Maryland, Cuse, Boston College, etc., for Temple to schedule annually.

Either Maryland or Rutgers is already on Temple's OOC schedules pretty much every year starting in about 2017. But they don't move the needle enough to justify a stadium. And build one near their campus? That gives you a few more butts in the seats, but chances are they aren't paying for those seats.

Penn State and Notre Dame will put 30K more fans in the Linc (fewer if they build a modest sized stadium near campus), but how often will they give Temple a home game? Once every 10-12 years?

Temple isn't likely to succeed consistently either on the field or at the gate. Whether or not they keep playing in FBS will depend on how well they think they are succeeding with their donors.
05-08-2015 10:52 AM
Sam Minuteman Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UMass/USF
(05-08-2015 08:26 AM)goofus Wrote:  i am sure the A-10 will take them back if they drop football. Big east not really an option as long as Nova is there.

As long as they have a team why would they consider leaving the AAC?

So what if they don't have an OOC stadium, is it really costing that much to rent the Linc? What else is the Linc going to put in there for 6 Saturdays a year? They would rather the stadium empty than make a modest sum on concessions, parking, & small gate from Temple?

This sounds like a lot of hyperbole, but i guess that is what the off season is for. Temple will be fine right where they are.
05-08-2015 11:40 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.