Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Traveling fans
Bookmark and Share
FlyHawk98 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall
Traveling fans
Which fan bases in our conference usually take good crowds to away games?

I'm excited to see how many fans Old Dominion brings to Marshall this year.

I was extremely disappointed with both MTSU and WKU fans.

I honestly can't remember if So Miss brings a good crowd or not. I know our fan base likes to come out for a name opponent such as So Miss.

Honestly not expecting big traveling fan bases from cross division games, but its good to see within our divisions at least.

Any of the former SBC members notice more/less away fans coming to their games now that you're in CUSA?
05-06-2015 06:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WKU
RE: Traveling fans
As for Western fans traveling to Marshall...

I don't know what you expected on Black Friday and it snowed the night before but to me the 300-400 that showed up were more than I expected. I made a bet with my wife driving through snow flakes as big as baseballs on top of a 3900ft mountain in Maryland on the way to the game there would not be 100 Western fans. At that point I was just hoping to make it down ..alive. On a Saturday with good weather...600 will be there max. On a Saturday, good weather and Western was having a great season...800 will be there max. If it was on a Saturday, good weather and for the conference championship 1000 max.

To be honest I was really disappointed in the home crowd since Marshall was 11-0 at the time
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2015 09:42 PM by WKUYG.)
05-06-2015 06:21 PM
wkuhilltopperfan Offline
Heisman

No school has brought more than a few hundred to fans to WKU other than MT about 5 years ago. Army probably was the largest guest crowd , but we have a army base close by
05-06-2015 07:54 PM
FlyHawk98 Offline
1st String

I actually forgot about the game being on black Friday and the snow.

If you guys brought 800 or so, that would be great.

Hopefully we can bring a good crowd to your place this year. I wish the WKU and MTSU games were alternated. I wouldn't mind to go there every year, but twice in the same year is a little rough.
05-06-2015 08:42 PM
Advertisement

FAUAEPi Offline
1st String

I Root For: FAU
Marshall's and WKU's large alumni base down here allows for some great away sections during football and basketball games.
05-06-2015 10:52 PM
ODUAlumni2015 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ODU, Penn State
(05-06-2015 06:08 PM)FlyHawk98 Wrote:  Which fan bases in our conference usually take good crowds to away games?

It will probably be a lot. I'm coming too. Penn State is playing Army at Beaver Stadium in PA, but I find the ODU v. Marshall game more fun to watch, plus I've never been to WV. Considering the defensive stand the Monarchs took during the last three games of the 2014 season and at the Spring game. Our defense is faster and stronger, at least that's the way it looked during the spring game. It should be a good game. I would love for this to be the Iron Bowl of CUSA!
05-07-2015 06:45 AM
07owl Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice
UTSA has brought good crowds to Rice
05-07-2015 12:37 PM
Advertisement

PirateJim Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU/Underdogs
When confereces are so spread out like they are today, it's hard to travel to away games if you have a job. Only the retired have the time for travel.
05-07-2015 02:21 PM
bit_9 Offline

I Root For: ODU
Yeah. I probably won't make any away games this season. I was able to go to ecu and unc but this year have to many destination weddings lined up this year.
05-07-2015 07:18 PM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: North Texas
I think every team in C-USA West has sent decent numbers of fans to North Texas. And, I think Mean Green fans look forward to trips to Houston and San Antonio, where many of us have family. UTEP has several alumni in our area, and they bring a good crowd too. Having 3 other Texas programs in C-USA West is a big reason, but having LA Tech and Southern Miss also helps. I work with alums from UTEP and Southern Miss, and we have a great time talking football during the season. They come to Denton when UNT plays their old schools.

I never worked with a graduate of a Sun Belt school. We were just too far from the other schools.
05-07-2015 07:35 PM
Advertisement

FlyHawk98 Offline
1st String

Yeah that makes sense.

Marshall has a lot of alumni in the South. That is why we usually have a decent crowd down there.

A lot of times the away crowd is not necessarily still living around the school.

I spoke to a La Tech fan at the championship game in Huntington. He was now living in Columbus, Ohio. Him and pretty sure it was his wife, came down for the game.
05-07-2015 08:29 PM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
I'm going to jump in on the fun and give you a little perspective. I don't have any idea how your schools treat the visiting fans, however, just about every school in the nation fills the worst seats in the house with the visiting team's fans. This model used to work when schools were in conferences that were much more regional.

Let's look at Duke, NC State, Wake, UVA, UMD, Clemson, and USC each charter members of the ACC. For the most part these schools were all within a four hour drive and most much less. With the exception being when the outlying schools played each other like USC visiting UMD. During those days the host school could easily get away with sending the opposing team's fans to the far reaches of the stadium. They were close enough to each other that people would come regardless of how bad the seats were. The costs to go to the game was significantly less as they didn't have to worry about overnight lodging. The short distance meant the travel expense like gas to get there was not a deterrent and the meals while traveling were at least two less than needed today.

UNC could get away with making the UVA crowd feel like second rate citizens. However, today we live in a different world and for all of the opposite reasons above, people have to select one or two away games to take their family. Then they arrive and the home school is using the same old tired model of selling them seats not worthy of a goat. The dad might still be able to get into the game as he is the diehard alumni, but the wife and two kids are bored out of their mind when the team is on the other end of the field.

Folk, I'm speaking from experience. I'm 56 and have fond memories of going to games with my parents back in the 60's. I have now gone through 4.5 more decades of watching the change. The problem is the schools have not changed along with the time. We need to roll out the carpet for our guests. We especially need to make their children have a good experience. We need to educate them on the rules of football at an early age and there is no better way than to sit in some 50 yard line seats with their team just below them and close enough a child can see the trainers taping the ankle of a star player.

It kills me to see visiting fans all bunched together in some far corner. Then a couple of sections of sparsely filled seats before we get to the home team's crowd. Our schools must take a hard look at the model. They need to think like its 2015 rather than 1965. I'm sure many will not agree and that's okay, but I ask you to think about what it would take to for you to pack up the wife and kids to attend an away game 250 miles away and then make you want to come back to that venue the next time your team has to travel to the same school.
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2015 06:02 AM by BleedingPurple.)
05-08-2015 06:01 AM
PirateJim Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU/Underdogs
(05-08-2015 06:01 AM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  I'm going to jump in on the fun and give you a little perspective. I don't have any idea how your schools treat the visiting fans, however, just about every school in the nation fills the worst seats in the house with the visiting team's fans. This model used to work when schools were in conferences that were much more regional.

Let's look at Duke, NC State, Wake, UVA, UMD, Clemson, and USC each charter members of the ACC. For the most part these schools were all within a four hour drive and most much less. With the exception being when the outlying schools played each other like USC visiting UMD. During those days the host school could easily get away with sending the opposing team's fans to the far reaches of the stadium. They were close enough to each other that people would come regardless of how bad the seats were. The costs to go to the game was significantly less as they didn't have to worry about overnight lodging. The short distance meant the travel expense like gas to get there was not a deterrent and the meals while traveling were at least two less than needed today.

UNC could get away with making the UVA crowd feel like second rate citizens. However, today we live in a different world and for all of the opposite reasons above, people have to select one or two away games to take their family. Then they arrive and the home school is using the same old tired model of selling them seats not worthy of a goat. The dad might still be able to get into the game as he is the diehard alumni, but the wife and two kids are bored out of their mind when the team is on the other end of the field.

Folk, I'm speaking from experience. I'm 56 and have fond memories of going to games with my parents back in the 60's. I have now gone through 4.5 more decades of watching the change. The problem is the schools have not changed along with the time. We need to roll out the carpet for our guests. We especially need to make their children have a good experience. We need to educate them on the rules of football at an early age and there is no better way than to sit in some 50 yard line seats with their team just below them and close enough a child can see the trainers taping the ankle of a star player.

It kills me to see visiting fans all bunched together in some far corner. Then a couple of sections of sparsely filled seats before we get to the home team's crowd. Our schools must take a hard look at the model. They need to think like its 2015 rather than 1965. I'm sure many will not agree and that's okay, but I ask you to think about what it would take to for you to pack up the wife and kids to attend an away game 250 miles away and then make you want to come back to that venue the next time your team has to travel to the same school.

You're not suggesting the home team sell the visitors seats on the 50 yard line are you? The home team sells the best seats to the home fans and the rest are left to the visitors. When Va Tech comes to town, they are mostly together, but some are spread around the stadium because they go to alternate sources to buy tickets rather than from their own school.
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2015 07:24 AM by PirateJim.)
05-08-2015 07:23 AM
Advertisement

Flat Tire 2 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(05-06-2015 06:08 PM)FlyHawk98 Wrote:  Which fan bases in our conference usually take good crowds to away games?

I was extremely disappointed with both MTSU and WKU fans.

I honestly can't remember if So Miss brings a good crowd or not. I know our fan base likes to come out for a name opponent such as So Miss.

Honestly not expecting big traveling fan bases from cross division games, but its good to see within our divisions at least.

Any of the former SBC members notice more/less away fans coming to their games now that you're in CUSA?

It will be a long trip for the fans to drive. Do you realized it is 460 miles each way? Mapquest says it is a 7 hour drive, but it usually takes longer due to traffic getting out of Hampton Roads and getting through RVA. I-81 truck traffic can also slow you down.
05-08-2015 07:32 AM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

(05-08-2015 06:01 AM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  I'm going to jump in on the fun and give you a little perspective. I don't have any idea how your schools treat the visiting fans, however, just about every school in the nation fills the worst seats in the house with the visiting team's fans. This model used to work when schools were in conferences that were much more regional.

Tenn (UT) is the only school to give visiting fans seats from the 40 to the 40. Western had the first 10 rows on the visiting side...40 to 40. Some of the nicest fans I meet anywhere sit around us. When you turn the ball over 5 out of 6 plays....yes 5 times in 6 plays it makes for a rough day. But even while Western was in the game those fans sitting close enough were very friendly. Not only friendly but policing their own. There's going to be a drunk in every crowd and no exceptions at that game...it didn't last long before 4 or 5 UT fans told the drunk to shut up. Five minutes later a officer helped the guy out of the stadium. Those same UT fans sent a text and video to someone.

Not only do schools give you the seats at the end of the stadium (Western does it also) but the prices for those seats are $30 to $47 for Western road games. Not many families are welling to pay a extra $60 to $94 and take little Johnny and Suzy.

Over the last 3 seasons I've made every Western home (which is a road game for me) and road games...other than Tech and FAU last year because my Wife had to have major surgery. Well I also missed our bowl game because we don't fly...and no passports.

I made all but 3 home and away road trip for basketball in those same 3 seasons ...missed 2 home games because of Western football and I missed the WKU at Minn this past year. Basketball is different most of the time we have 2 to 5 rows of seats behind the team bench or the corner section at worse.

Most of the away games I'm on the team list..not all because sometimes a player will be from that area and need those tickets for family. In basketball if you're not on the team list...you have to buy tickets at the box office of that school. But not football...football you can buy through your school (Western in my case). Basketball ticket prices are way more family friendly than football to the visiting fans..usually $15 will get good seats and $25 mid court lower arena. I have upgraded to a few that sit us at the end of the arena and at the top ...ARK ST is one of those schools and it's a dump.

A lot more fans travel for football than basketball.Western gives the visiting fans (team list) the first 2 rows behind their bench and my seats are 4 rows above those. FIU a few years ago is the only school to fill the 2 rows...

it wasn't FIU fans, all of those were filled by Chicken Rick (Pitino) and his friends. On average my guess is less than 15 visiting fans from CUSA teams showed up for basketball. Marshall, then Rice had the most. Forgot about the muts...while they didn't play at Diddle last year the do bring a nice crowd if they are winning..few hundred.

I've read message boards and seen..."we'll bring 5,000" fans to a road football game. Well I've yet to see that....most of the time it's less than 200 visiting fans and other than the muts ...not over 500 by anyone team and that was Ark St 2 years ago.
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2015 07:37 AM by WKUYG.)
05-08-2015 07:37 AM
Irish Rowdy Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UTSA
you are right WKUYG people throw that 5k number round when it is not true. UTSA brought 5k to Rice 2 years ago, and i am very proud of that number. People have no idea how big of a number 5k is.
05-08-2015 05:20 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.