Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Where will next year's C-USA basketball tournament be held?
Bookmark and Share
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
Where will next year's C-USA basketball tournament be held?
Usually we start hearing about who has bid to hold the tourney by this time.
05-06-2015 04:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
RE: Where will next year's C-USA basketball tournament be held?
Biloxi?

I'd put my money on it being there. I hope not though. I think it'll be a monumental failure there. USM is probably going to be awful again next year and I'm not confident that La Tech will be a championship contender. Nobody else is really all that close by and if we're relying on people flying in to support the tournament, there are going to be a lot of empty seats.

I hope Norfolk gets it personally.
05-06-2015 04:09 PM
USMSTUD Offline
Banned

I Root For: Southern Miss
(05-06-2015 04:03 PM)MinerInWisconsin Wrote:  Usually we start hearing about who has bid to hold the tourney by this time.

I believe the Spring meetings are being held next week. Should hear something come out about future site of the tournament.
05-06-2015 04:22 PM
Saint Greg Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
Tech is putting in a bid for Shreveport-Bossier next week.

Tech prepared to bid on 2016 C-USA basketball tourney

Tech athletic director Tommy McClelland told The News-Star on Tuesday he is heading to next week's C-USA meetings with the intention of placing a bid for 2016 tournament to be held in Shreveport-Bossier City.

With the help of the Shreveport-Bossier Sports Commission, Tech put in a bid to host the 2015 conference tournament before C-USA awarded it to UAB.

Tech and Shreveport-Bossier City will once again be in the running, assuming the league sticks with the current format that allows members schools, like UAB and UTEP in 2014, to host the tournament.

At the meetings, which begin Monday in Florida, the league is expected to discuss a potential switch to a neutral site format.

"If decided that it's going to stay the way it's been, Louisiana Tech is going to be an admitted player in terms of bidding," said McClelland, who added Tech has planned on bidding since last spring.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/story/sports/.../26949005/
Louisiana Tech is throwing its hat in the ring again to host the 2016 Conference USA men's and women's basketball championships
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2015 04:33 PM by Saint Greg.)
05-06-2015 04:32 PM
monarchoptimist Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU & CU
I'm not sure how a neutral site would work for CUSA. There doesn't seem to be a logical locale that isn't already booked.
05-06-2015 04:58 PM
Saint Greg Offline
Heisman

(05-06-2015 04:58 PM)monarchoptimist Wrote:  I'm not sure how a neutral site would work for CUSA. There doesn't seem to be a logical locale that isn't already booked.

I'd be interested in Dallas. I don't know if that's considered neutral or not with UNT in Denton. I think you'd at least get strong support from UNT, Tech, Rice, and UTEP there.
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2015 05:13 PM by Saint Greg.)
05-06-2015 05:13 PM
Advertisement

stinkfist Online
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(05-06-2015 04:09 PM)Niner National Wrote:  Biloxi?

I'd put my money on it being there. I hope not though. I think it'll be a monumental failure there. USM is probably going to be awful again next year and I'm not confident that La Tech will be a championship contender. Nobody else is really all that close by and if we're relying on people flying in to support the tournament, there are going to be a lot of empty seats.

completely agree....and you know how I want it there.....now is not 'that' time....
05-06-2015 05:15 PM
monarchoptimist Offline
1st String

(05-06-2015 05:13 PM)Saint Greg Wrote:  
(05-06-2015 04:58 PM)monarchoptimist Wrote:  I'm not sure how a neutral site would work for CUSA. There doesn't seem to be a logical locale that isn't already booked.

I'd be interested in Dallas. I don't know if that's considered neutral or not with UNT in Denton. I think you'd at least get strong support from UNT, Tech, Rice, and UTEP there.

Does Dallas have an arena of the appropriate size? I don't think the arena should be bigger than 10k because most of the conference can't get 5k to a home game.

Strong support from UNT, Tech and Rice doesn't add up to much. I see you didn't even bother including UTSA. I'm sure UTEP has some alumni presence in Dallas but that is still quite a ways from home.

Not to knock your suggestion as at least it is a major airport for everyone to fly into.
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2015 05:30 PM by monarchoptimist.)
05-06-2015 05:29 PM
Saint Greg Offline
Heisman

(05-06-2015 05:29 PM)monarchoptimist Wrote:  

Does Dallas have an arena of the appropriate size? I don't think the arena should be bigger than 10k because most of the conference can't get 5k to a home game.

Strong support from UNT, Tech and Rice doesn't add up to much. I see you didn't even bother including UTSA. I'm sure UTEP has some alumni presence in Dallas but that is still quite a ways from home.

Not to knock your suggestion as at least it is a major airport for everyone to fly into.

Someone who knows Dallas better than me would have to come up with the arena plan. I'm sure they have something suitable between all of the colleges and other arenas in the area. I know they have at least two semi-pro hockey teams in the area with arenas. Tech would have a good turnout. Rice is moving in the right direction. They'll have fans there. If UTEP can travel to Birmingham, they can travel to Dallas. UNT is practically there. I think they'll have fans even if they aren't good. Yes I left UTSA out but they'll probably have some fans. I'm sure you want it on the east coast. This is just my suggestion.
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2015 05:44 PM by Saint Greg.)
05-06-2015 05:41 PM
Dawgxas Offline
#FreeDeb025

Tech travels well, in fact Tech had one of the better showings in Birmingham outside of maybe MT in the finals. And Dallas is even closer with probably the most alumni outside of Louisiana
05-06-2015 05:56 PM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(05-06-2015 05:15 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  
(05-06-2015 04:09 PM)Niner National Wrote:  Biloxi?

completely agree....and you know how I want it there.....now is not 'that' time....
Right. I have no issues with it being there, but I'd rather not have it there when usm might be a single digit win team again.
05-06-2015 05:57 PM
Advertisement

monarchoptimist Offline
1st String

(05-06-2015 05:41 PM)Saint Greg Wrote:  

Someone who knows Dallas better than me would have to come up with the arena plan. I'm sure they have something suitable between all of the colleges and other arenas in the area. I know they have at least two semi-pro hockey teams in the area with arenas. Tech would have a good turnout. Rice is moving in the right direction. They'll have fans there. If UTEP can travel to Birmingham, they can travel to Dallas. UNT is practically there. I think they'll have fans even if they aren't good. Yes I left UTSA out but they'll probably have some fans. I'm sure you want it on the east coast. This is just my suggestion.

I actually think school sites work best. If you add the attendance for La Tech, UTSA, UNT & Rice it would be good for second in the conference, just above ODU and behind UTEP.

If CUSA is gonna put the basketball tournament in Texas (even the "west") it might as well be in El Paso where there is a school that has a significant fan base and a track record. In the East, Charlotte or Norfolk would probably do okay. Marshall, Charlotte and ODU were 3 of the top 5 schools in basketball attendance.
05-06-2015 06:03 PM
Dawgxas Offline
#FreeDeb025

Yes, quite a few options; Dallas is the 4th largest metro in the country. Dr. Pepper Arena in Frisco, Moody on SMU and for the womens the Garland center (where the recent shooting took place) SMU played there when Moody was being renovated last year.
05-06-2015 06:04 PM
Saint Greg Offline
Heisman

(05-06-2015 06:03 PM)monarchoptimist Wrote:  

I actually think school sites work best. If you add the attendance for La Tech, UTSA, UNT & Rice it would be good for second in the conference, just above ODU and behind UTEP.

If CUSA is gonna put the basketball tournament in Texas (even the "west") it might as well be in El Paso where there is a school that has a significant fan base and a track record. In the East, Charlotte or Norfolk would probably do okay. Marshall, Charlotte and ODU were 3 of the top 5 schools in basketball attendance.

All of the Texas schools and Tech have support in Dallas. We're talking neutral site cities that don't already have a tournament.
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2015 06:11 PM by Saint Greg.)
05-06-2015 06:07 PM
Dawgxas Offline
#FreeDeb025

(05-06-2015 06:03 PM)monarchoptimist Wrote:  

Yeah, I don't know where you got your stats from but the NCAA has Tech avg attendance was 4,186 and Old Dominion 5,788. Tech also brought more fans to the CUSA tourney than most other CUSA schools including ODU.

And considering ODU is located in urban area with 1.7 million people vs Tech which is located in town of 25,000. I would say Tech support is pretty damn good
05-06-2015 06:28 PM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WKU
(05-06-2015 05:56 PM)Dawgxas Wrote:  

Tech travels well, in fact Tech had one of the better showings in Birmingham outside of maybe MT in the finals. And Dallas is even closer with probably the most alumni outside of Louisiana

Tech had maybe 100 fans in their first game unless I missed some sitting in other sections. Western easily had 600 or more for our game vs UAB

My vote (if I had one) would be Biloxi a 8 hour drive from BG and with enough actives to do ..people can take vacation time and call it that. Gambling, fishing, shows, and New Orleans a short 90 minute drive
05-06-2015 06:30 PM
Advertisement

mistabinks Offline
Glory Road Resident

I Root For: UTEP Miners
Chimichangas on me when the CUSA tourney is in El Paso this coming March.
05-06-2015 06:34 PM
Saint Greg Offline
Heisman

(05-06-2015 06:30 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  
(05-06-2015 05:56 PM)Dawgxas Wrote:  

Tech had maybe 100 fans in their first game unless I missed some sitting in other sections. Western easily had 600 or more for our game vs UAB

My vote (if I had one) would be Biloxi a 8 hour drive from BG and with enough actives to do ..people can take vacation time and call it that. Gambling, fishing, shows, and New Orleans a short 90 minute drive

No way. We had more than that at our first women's game.
05-06-2015 06:38 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
Honestly, they should either do the tournament at home sites or just punt the bloody thing. I know the former sounds bush-league and the latter is only an Ivy thing right now, but the geography of the conference makes a successful neutral-site tournament damn near impossible. ODU at UTEP is going to look a hell of a lot better on TV than ODU vs. UTEP at Shreveport or Miami.
05-06-2015 06:41 PM
Dawgxas Offline
#FreeDeb025

(05-06-2015 06:41 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  Honestly, they should either do the tournament at home sites or just punt the bloody thing. I know the former sounds bush-league and the latter is only an Ivy thing right now, but the geography of the conference makes a successful neutral-site tournament damn near impossible. ODU at UTEP is going to look a hell of a lot better on TV than ODU vs. UTEP at Shreveport or Miami.

True, but what about Tech vs ODU or Tech vs UTEP in Shreveport, I bet those crowds would look hell of lot better too. Any non-home team games aren't going to draw fans see Birmingham
05-06-2015 06:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.