Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Fraziers's Corner
Bookmark and Share
thxjoenovak Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU
Fraziers's Corner
He's saying it's now or never if you ask me......

http://www.niuhuskies.com/genrel/050615aab.html

Quote:Finally, ARE YOU READY for Huskie Athletics to move forward and for NIU Football to become the next TCU and carry the entire program to the next level?

If you answered yes to any of these questions then, like me, you are someone who takes pride in Northern Illinois University and its athletic program. We need YOU in order to move our program forward. And we need you right now!

Over the past two years as NIU's athletic director, I have heard the pleas of Huskie fans. More importantly, I've listened.
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2015 03:46 PM by thxjoenovak.)
05-06-2015 03:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Stay Cool Offline
The Masked Moderator

I Root For: NIU, tOSU, UC
RE: Fraziers's Corner
Yep. That's what I'm hearing
05-06-2015 03:43 PM
RedandBlackAttack Offline
1st String

This man is amazing. He is bringing an energy and excitement that has never before been seen by us NIU fans.

Now, where are all the naysayers to begin complaining about how Frazier changed our logos??
05-06-2015 03:46 PM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators
(05-06-2015 03:37 PM)thxjoenovak Wrote:  He's saying it's now or never if you ask me......

http://www.niuhuskies.com/genrel/050615aab.html

Quote:Finally, ARE YOU READY for Huskie Athletics to move forward and for NIU Football to become the next TCU and carry the entire program to the next level?

If you answered yes to any of these questions then, like me, you are someone who takes pride in Northern Illinois University and its athletic program. We need YOU in order to move our program forward. And we need you right now!

Over the past two years as NIU's athletic director, I have heard the pleas of Huskie fans. More importantly, I've listened.

I got this as an e-mail. He is partly preaching to the choir. He needs to reach out to the unaffiliated alumni who are not getting Athletics' e-mails to bring them into the fold. As I have stated ad infinitum in the past, there needs to be an aggressive marketing campaign that consists not only of mail/e-mail, but also advertising in the various media.

Having said this, STF may come to the realization that we may never fill Huskie Stadium. Interest in sports has waned - particularly college sports. Most fans today would rather watch the games on their big screen TV, computer, or phone. As the weather gets colder and games are on cold midweek nights, the choice between watching in comfort in your warm home or freezing your arse off in a wind-swept tundra is a simple one to make.

However, they still need to do the aggressive marketing in hopes that they can create the necessary sizzle to spark greater attendance. At least then they'd know they've tried everything.
05-06-2015 03:48 PM
NIU1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Peace & Equity
I used to think Chandler Harnish was the only man I could ever love but SF is giving him a run for his money. Great stuff, I love the energy he brings. And make no mistake, it's going to take a ton of energy to achieve the vision he and Dr. Baker have articulated.
05-06-2015 04:11 PM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

So I am guessing BC is going to be in 2017 and not 2016 then?

We responded with #SchedulePalooza, which produced this line-up of opponents coming to DeKalb:

2016: San Diego State
2017: Boston College, South Florida
2018: Utah
2020: BYU
2021: Wyoming, Maryland
2022: Vanderbilt
2023: Tulsa
05-06-2015 04:20 PM
Advertisement

NIUAlum90 Offline
All American

(05-06-2015 04:20 PM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  So I am guessing BC is going to be in 2017 and not 2016 then?

We responded with #SchedulePalooza, which produced this line-up of opponents coming to DeKalb:

I like kicking off the 2017 season at home with BC at home then USF.
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2015 04:22 PM by NIUAlum90.)
05-06-2015 04:22 PM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-06-2015 04:22 PM)NIUAlum90 Wrote:  
(05-06-2015 04:20 PM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  So I am guessing BC is going to be in 2017 and not 2016 then?

I like kicking off the 2017 season at home with BC at home then USF.

Ya 2017 on a Saturday is much better for the program than 2016 on a Friday night.
05-06-2015 04:30 PM
HuskieBowWow Offline
All American

It shows up as a Facebook post but it leaves me with an uncomfortable feeling. I sense a tone of desperation. If this doesn't lead to a significant increase in ticket sales and donations, there are no more cards for SF to play. I think he views this as his make or break moment. I hope it works.
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2015 05:19 PM by HuskieBowWow.)
05-06-2015 05:18 PM
RedandBlackAttack Offline
1st String

Re: RE: Fraziers's Corner
(05-06-2015 05:18 PM)HuskieBowWow Wrote:  It shows up as a Facebook post but it leaves me with an uncomfortable feeling. I sense a tone of desperation. If this doesn't lead to a significant increase in ticket sales and donations, there are no more cards for SF to play. I think he views this as his make or break moment. I hope it works.

Wouldn't you want to sound a little desperate if you are giving your all to better the athletic programs and we (most, not all) fans do nothing about it?

Well, except for the few who still complain that anything done is still not enough to please them.
05-06-2015 06:10 PM
golf4501 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(05-06-2015 05:18 PM)HuskieBowWow Wrote:  It shows up as a Facebook post but it leaves me with an uncomfortable feeling. I sense a tone of desperation. If this doesn't lead to a significant increase in ticket sales and donations, there are no more cards for SF to play. I think he views this as his make or break moment. I hope it works.

The info I got from the ticket office, when I ordered OSU tickets, was sales were going pretty good. They are also running a promotion to get 1000 military persobal tickets to a November game. For $15 you can buy one seat to donate. I added 2 to my OSU order and he mentioned they already have 500 tickets to donate.
05-06-2015 06:13 PM
Advertisement

Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
Fraziers's Corner
(05-06-2015 06:13 PM)golf4501 Wrote:  

The info I got from the ticket office, when I ordered OSU tickets, was sales were going pretty good. They are also running a promotion to get 1000 military persobal tickets to a November game. For $15 you can buy one seat to donate. I added 2 to my OSU order and he mentioned they already have 500 tickets to donate.

They may actually get more donations if they announced the promotion.
05-06-2015 07:22 PM
thxjoenovak Offline
Heisman

Fraziers's Corner

I'm with BowWow.

I can't imagine anyone doing more than what SF has done in less than 2 years.
05-06-2015 07:42 PM
Mark26pt2 Offline
Special Teams

I like what SF is doing. When I was reading the e-mail I kept waiting for the "the ask" of donations to kick-off the fundraising for the Athletics Facility Master Plan (AFMP) - but it was not there. However, reading between the lines, I think the solicitation has started to the big big big donors to get the seed money and soon (6 months to a year) he will be soliciting the rest of the HAF donors to also donate to the AFMP. I really hope they start fundraising for the AFMP soon - I want to see it happen and happen soon. I hope I am reading between the lines correctly.
05-06-2015 09:40 PM
golf4501 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(05-06-2015 07:22 PM)Dog Fan Wrote:  
(05-06-2015 06:13 PM)golf4501 Wrote:  

They may actually get more donations if they announced the promotion.

Was thinking that same thing Dog Fan. First I heard about the promotion was when I bought my OSU tickets. Surprised it wasn't announced anywhere else or sent to ticket holders.
05-06-2015 09:42 PM
uiniu57 Offline
All American

I Root For: Amanda Sauer
(05-06-2015 03:46 PM)RedandBlackAttack Wrote:  Now, where are all the naysayers to begin complaining about how Frazier changed our logos??

I'm still here and I still don't like the idea of every administration altering the logo and how it's used, HOWEVER, having purchased four chairback season tickets when Gerald O'Dell -- one of the worst ADs in school history -- was in charge, renewing them, contributing to development drives under different names, I don't agree with the label of naysayer, but that's your opinion RedandBlack. Not sure why anyone who has a question is automatically a naysayer, but if Frazier and staff are listening, they need to continue to listen.
I echo Dog Fan's statement that this is "preaching to the choir." This isn't nor should it be about size comparisons, but wouldn't it be interesting to see the donor level and years of support of Dog Pound posters. Me personally, I don't care, because most everyone on here is supporting the program to the extent they're able. However, as noted, they need to reach out to the unaffiliated alums who are not getting these e-mails. There are still a great many local folks who have cut back or stopped purchasing season tickets or coming to games. They need to somehow win those fans back. As Dog Fan also suggested, create a more aggressive marketing campaign that includes advertising in various media -- and that doesn't mean tweets to those people already following Huskie athletics. Expanding the season ticket base is a necessity. Enhancing the schedule with some of these opponents is a great step in the right direction because it has the potential to get people excited as was the case initially with a win over a Wake Forest, as was the case when Novak and Company took down a then nationally-ranked Maryland.
Not being difficult, but I know some families that have summer vacations coming up and this "buy tickets now or else" mentality doesn't work. Until that season ticket base is significantly expanded, people will get excited about Huskie football when it's time for Huskie football. The idea of a Red and Black Caravan is nice, except it's been my experience that it's usually the same old donors and some Dog Pound folks outnumbering new people six or seven to one. We're not the ones who have to be sold on backing NIU football -- we need new fans, old fans, disenfranchised fans, etc. Do I support Frazier? yes; do I believe there's more work to be done? yes; do I automatically think everything he and his staff does is great? pretty much yes; Does this make me a naysayer? according to you, yes; according to me, no I'm someone who wants to see NIU succeed even more.
05-06-2015 09:49 PM
Advertisement

Mark26pt2 Offline
Special Teams

One thing I would like to add - while I agree we should always be pursuing season ticket holders - however, we also should be looking to increase single game ticket sales. In my case, I have conflicts that do no allow me to buy season tickets but I buy and attend every single game that I can (about 2 to 3 a year) and I donate to HAF as well as the NIU ACCY department. I think there are many people like me and we should be counted as valuable supporters of the program. One way to get more season ticket holders is first to get people to 1 or 2 games a year. Get them addicted to the best team in Illinois and then "up sell" them to season tickets the next year. Even if they never buy season tickets (like me) they can be valuable supporters of NIU athletics.
05-06-2015 09:58 PM
HuskieTap22 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU / DePaul
My take is we have yet to identify a big lead donor for the master's facility plan. Fans and supporters want to be the next TCU but reality seems the financial support isn't there yet to back it up. It sucks but reality is Frazier wants to go big but not sure we have the donor pool to back it up. I would love to be proven wrong here.
05-06-2015 10:06 PM
Mark26pt2 Offline
Special Teams

(05-06-2015 10:06 PM)HuskieTap22 Wrote:  My take is we have yet to identify a big lead donor for the master's facility plan. Fans and supporters want to be the next TCU but reality seems the financial support isn't there yet to back it up. It sucks but reality is Frazier wants to go big but not sure we have the donor pool to back it up. I would love to be proven wrong here.

I don't think you are wrong at the current moment. However, I hope you will be proven wrong in 12 months. Just a gut feeling backed up by some conversations with some NIU faculty.
05-06-2015 10:09 PM
chihuskie Offline
Heisman

I talked to one AD- I forget if it was Phillips or Compher, I think Compher, about getting a flyover. Those things are really cool. The fan reaction is unbelievable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVgtZVhMzro

It was the year before we played Army. I looked into what it would take, and it appeared to be doable. All you have to do is make a few phone calls, and work out scheduling.

I gave him all the info I found, and suggested for the Army game, it would be awesome. I pointed out that U of I does it. He said that they had been working on it, and thought maybe next year they would do it. When was the Army game?

My point: there are still a lot of things that can be done to build game day excitement and make a home game a must do activity in the Dekalb Sycamore area. (Also, remember the tag line "Big Time Football -- Right in Your Own Backyard?" That was successful. Bring that back. Cater to the western suburbs.)
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2015 08:07 AM by chihuskie.)
05-07-2015 08:04 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.