Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Montana or Coastal, which is the bigger game?
Bookmark and Share
NewTimes Offline
All American

I Root For: Flames & Canes
With JMU conveniently avoiding the Flames in Lynchburg and taking a money game in Texas, that leaves 2 strong home games. Coastal and Montana.

Coastal is Coastal and they are always a good game. Montana is historically a very strong FCS team. Which is the bigger game?
05-05-2015 03:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

army56mike Offline

I Root For: Liberty & UofL
That's a great question. Montana is a traditional FCS power. That makes them an attractive game. There will be greater attention on this game. The national perception with a Liberty win would be big. However, Coastal is a top tier team as well and it's a conference game. Therefore, I say the Coastal game is bigger. It also doesn't hurt they're our biggest rival.
05-05-2015 07:21 PM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
RE: Montana or Coastal, which is the bigger game?
You know, I agree this is a good question. Had JMU stayed in the mix, I'm still not sure which of the three games would be a bigger game to be played. If you weren't in conference with Coastal, then they would be third, but being a conference game it puts it on equal to or greater than Montana or JMU (had we been in the mix).

As stated before, I'm envious of what you guys are trying to do. Back in 08 we were there, playing Duke and Appy in the same season, but we've gone down hill with our scheduling ever since that season. This SMU game we are going to play is an okay deal from an importance perspective, and if it were not some pretty good cash involved, I would say we made a mistake with the deal. Unfortunately, college FB scheduling is all about the money.
05-05-2015 07:25 PM
GE and MTS Offline

I Root For: Liberty/Penn St
Coastal Carolina by far. If we beat them, I think there is a pretty good chance we make the playoffs. Beating Montana doesn't do that.
05-05-2015 07:35 PM
LUOrange Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: LU & Syracuse
Coastal is the bigger game, obviously due to that gave being the perennial defacto Big South championship game. Probably safe assumption so say that it'll be that way again. That said, if we can beat the Grizzlies, we should have a pretty good shot at an at large bid.
05-05-2015 08:24 PM
Advertisement

NewTimes Offline
All American

Coastal plays a very weak schedule this year. No FBS games. Montana plays NDSU in its opening game at home. If they win that game, that will be my pick as the tougher game. Coastal coast this year with its schedule.

JMU would have been a great game and likely number 1 if they had a strong record. Coastal's biggest game will be Liberty. Check their schedule. It's weak.
05-05-2015 09:51 PM
NewTimes Offline
All American

(05-05-2015 07:25 PM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  You know, I agree this is a good question. Had JMU stayed in the mix, I'm still not sure which of the three games would be a bigger game to be played. If you weren't in conference with Coastal, then they would be third, but being a conference game it puts it on equal to or greater than Montana or JMU (had we been in the mix).

As stated before, I'm envious of what you guys are trying to do. Back in 08 we were there, playing Duke and Appy in the same season, but we've gone down hill with our scheduling ever since that season. This SMU game we are going to play is an okay deal from an importance perspective, and if it were not some pretty good cash involved, I would say we made a mistake with the deal. Unfortunately, college FB scheduling is all about the money.
BP, I'm still hoping LU and JMU end up in the same FBS conference. It would be a great rivalry.
05-05-2015 09:54 PM
GE and MTS Offline

I Root For: Liberty/Penn St
(05-05-2015 09:51 PM)NewTimes Wrote:  Coastal plays a very weak schedule this year. No FBS games. Montana plays NDSU in its opening game at home. If they win that game, that will be my pick as the tougher game. Coastal coast this year with its schedule.

JMU would have been a great game and likely number 1 if they had a strong record. Coastal's biggest game will be Liberty. Check their schedule. It's weak.

Tougher game or bigger game? The original question was bigger and there is no bigger game than the season finale at home against the team looking for revenge losing to us as the #1 team and undefeated at their house in the last game of the season and letting us into playoffs for the first time. Montana is probably tougher as they have a longer track record than Coastal and I think Coastal lost a ton of seniors (though not positive and not sure about the Montana situation).
05-06-2015 05:59 AM
NewTimes Offline
All American

(05-06-2015 05:59 AM)GE and MTS Wrote:  
(05-05-2015 09:51 PM)NewTimes Wrote:  Coastal plays a very weak schedule this year. No FBS games. Montana plays NDSU in its opening game at home. If they win that game, that will be my pick as the tougher game. Coastal coast this year with its schedule.

Tougher game or bigger game? The original question was bigger and there is no bigger game than the season finale at home against the team looking for revenge losing to us as the #1 team and undefeated at their house in the last game of the season and letting us into playoffs for the first time. Montana is probably tougher as they have a longer track record than Coastal and I think Coastal lost a ton of seniors (though not positive and not sure about the Montana situation).
True. If Coastal comes in with another strong record, even with a weak schedule, it will be the midst important game for the conference automatic bid, or at large selection. If coastal is so so record wise it's Montana.
05-06-2015 06:09 AM
Advertisement

NewTimes Offline
All American

Let's expand this from home game to all games. My top 5 LU FB games today that will change as the season plays out:

Sep 5, 2015 TBA Delaware State Lynchburg, Va.
Sep 12, 2015 TBA vs. West Virginia Morgantown, W.Va.
Sep 19, 2015 TBA Montana Lynchburg, Va.
Sep 26, 2015 TBA vs. Southern Illinois, Carbondale, Ill.
Oct 3, 2015 TBA vs. Georgia State Atlanta, Ga.
Oct 10, 2015 TBA vs. Gardner-Webb* Boiling Springs, N.C.
Oct 17, 2015 TBA vs. Monmouth* West Long Branch, N.J.
Oct 24, 2015 TBA Kennesaw State* Lynchburg, Va.
Nov 7, 2015 TBA Presbyterian* Lynchburg, Va.
Nov 14, 2015 TBA vs. Charleston Southern*, Charleston, S.C.
Nov 21, 2015 TBA Coastal Carolina* Lynchburg, Va.

1) WVU
2) Montana
3) Coastal
4) So Ill
5) GaSt

If FBS GaSt has one win, they'll be #4 or #5, if winless they'll drop lower. If they win a couple of games before Oct. 3, they move up. This will change and shift much as the season begins. Hey this is what we do in May!
05-06-2015 06:33 AM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
(05-05-2015 09:54 PM)NewTimes Wrote:  
(05-05-2015 07:25 PM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  You know, I agree this is a good question. Had JMU stayed in the mix, I'm still not sure which of the three games would be a bigger game to be played. If you weren't in conference with Coastal, then they would be third, but being a conference game it puts it on equal to or greater than Montana or JMU (had we been in the mix).

BP, I'm still hoping LU and JMU end up in the same FBS conference. It would be a great rivalry.

I have no issue with that, but with our admin thinking its the ACC or nothing, you will have forgotten you thought this way is a few years. We'll be reading about your games in USA Today and we will have just pulled off a win against our new rival, Averett.

OT: I took a ride through LU's campus a couple weeks ago, just an observation, but the campus has some really huge buildings of which the largest building on JMU's campus would fit four inside of the LU structures. It appears that there are only about four or five huge buildings used for classrooms. Is this observation correct? I'm not sure I have ever seen a college campus with structures that large specifically that new medical building up there by itself, which I drove up to just to get a better perspective.
05-06-2015 07:20 AM
LUOrange Offline
Bench Warmer

(05-06-2015 07:20 AM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  

I have no issue with that, but with our admin thinking its the ACC or nothing, you will have forgotten you thought this way is a few years. We'll be reading about your games in USA Today and we will have just pulled off a win against our new rival, Averett.

OT: I took a ride through LU's campus a couple weeks ago, just an observation, but the campus has some really huge buildings of which the largest building on JMU's campus would fit four inside of the LU structures. It appears that there are only about four or five huge buildings used for classrooms. Is this observation correct? I'm not sure I have ever seen a college campus with structures that large specifically that new medical building up there by itself, which I drove up to just to get a better perspective.
The 2 largest buildings are dorms- next to the Vines Center, 1 is still under construction. The current plan is to have 4 total megadorms like that. DeMoss Hall, on the other side of the Vines, is all academics and is or was the largest business/office building in the Burg. The Falwell Library and the new Science and School of Music buildings are behind DeMoss and are still being built. Green Hall by the football stadium used to be an Ericcson factory- is all offices and academics. It also contains the law school, Thomas Road Baptist Church and Liberty Christian Academy.

There are still tentative plans to build a School of Divinity with a bell tower and a stand alone law school near the medical school. Those are just the announced plans. However, those plans are fluid- as are alot of LU's planning just because the schools dynamics and offerings change often. They still have the old TRBC-LCA property to utilize- which currently houses the seminary, part of the mall which houses LU Online, and an unofficial agreement with the local community college to buy their buildings and trade land. That was an arrangement that CVCC approached LU with to help CVCC expand, as their campus is land locked.

As you can see, Liberty is a happening place. If one can put aside their political and religious biases, they can see the positive impact of our growth and and the unlimited potential. As I've said all along, we'll 1-A sooner than later.
05-06-2015 08:03 AM
NewTimes Offline
All American

(05-06-2015 08:03 AM)LUOrange Wrote:  
(05-06-2015 07:20 AM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  

The 2 largest buildings are dorms- next to the Vines Center, 1 is still under construction. The current plan is to have 4 total megadorms like that. DeMoss Hall, on the other side of the Vines, is all academics and is or was the largest business/office building in the Burg. The Falwell Library and the new Science and School of Music buildings are behind DeMoss and are still being built. Green Hall by the football stadium used to be an Ericcson factory- is all offices and academics. It also contains the law school, Thomas Road Baptist Church and Liberty Christian Academy.

There are still tentative plans to build a School of Divinity with a bell tower and a stand alone law school near the medical school. Those are just the announced plans. However, those plans are fluid- as are alot of LU's planning just because the schools dynamics and offerings change often. They still have the old TRBC-LCA property to utilize- which currently houses the seminary, part of the mall which houses LU Online, and an unofficial agreement with the local community college to buy their buildings and trade land. That was an arrangement that CVCC approached LU with to help CVCC expand, as their campus is land locked.

As you can see, Liberty is a happening place. If one can put aside their political and religious biases, they can see the positive impact of our growth and and the unlimited potential. As I've said all along, we'll 1-A sooner than later.
And LUO, who are your top 5 games for LU this year?
05-06-2015 08:47 AM
Advertisement

LUOrange Offline
Bench Warmer

1. The Coastal game undoubtedly is the biggest game on paper due to the conference and playoff implications.
2. Montana is second because of their tradition and how that would help our program- playoffs aside. They're as good or better than many G5 schools. Obviously, if we beat them we've got a good shot an at large bid.
3. So. Illinois, just cause it's decent OOC game that helps us with the playoffs.
4. GA State- just cause their a 1-A Sun Belt school. Honestly, GSU would have trouble with most of the top 50 1-AA schools. But it'd be great to beat another 1-A school to sell ourselves to the SBC and CUSA.
5. The rest of the Big South- we need to run the table every year.
6. West Virginia speaks for itself.
05-06-2015 09:10 AM
NewTimes Offline
All American

Coastal will always be a top game for LU as long we we're still stuck in the Big South. Only if they lose some of their luster will that diminish.

The So Illinois game intriques me. If LU could play WVU respectfully, and beats Montana, So Ill, Delaware St and goes to GaSt and wins, LU would be 4-1 entering conference play with Coastal our final game, at home.

If LU stumbles and goes 3-2 or worse, and does not win the conference, wins against BSC teams will likely not gain LU an at large bid. We were fortunate last year with Coastal getting an at large. 3 loses we would be on the bubble. 4 loses we stay at home.
05-06-2015 11:11 AM
4bidn Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: LU
Montana from the simple fact that you have to play the bigger teams that are "perceived" to be something. Coastal is Coastal they play a weak schedule that gives them rankings value but when the comp is equal to them they flounder. Monta is a perceived powerhouse so getting that win IMO holds more weight probably towards the committee come playoff time, and they are looking for those quality wins. I think at some point people will soon see that Coastal plays a weaker schedule than LU. I think when you play these OOC games you are not only repping your school, but your conference as a whole. You win it gives the Big South more credence and more value, you lose it knocks you down as just another low level FCS team. You really need to get a pulse for your team by playing teams in the MVC and other top notch level programs if that is what you aspire to be. TBH, you don't wanna wait until playoff time to see hey we need to be bigger up front, quicker in the trenches, type of thing. Playing these type games helps you guage where your team is as opposed to the other top notch FCS programs around the country.
05-11-2015 08:18 AM
NewTimes Offline
All American

(05-11-2015 08:18 AM)4bidn Wrote:  Montana from the simple fact that you have to play the bigger teams that are "perceived" to be something. Coastal is Coastal they play a weak schedule that gives them rankings value but when the comp is equal to them they flounder. Monta is a perceived powerhouse so getting that win IMO holds more weight probably towards the committee come playoff time, and they are looking for those quality wins. I think at some point people will soon see that Coastal plays a weaker schedule than LU. I think when you play these OOC games you are not only repping your school, but your conference as a whole. You win it gives the Big South more credence and more value, you lose it knocks you down as just another low level FCS team. You really need to get a pulse for your team by playing teams in the MVC and other top notch level programs if that is what you aspire to be. TBH, you don't wanna wait until playoff time to see hey we need to be bigger up front, quicker in the trenches, type of thing. Playing these type games helps you guage where your team is as opposed to the other top notch FCS programs around the country.
Agree 100% 4Bidn. Well stated.
05-11-2015 08:51 PM
army56mike Offline

I Root For: Liberty & UofL
The one (or two) we win will be the bigger game.
05-13-2015 09:23 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.