BM: Ole Miss vs. Louisville
05-04-2015 05:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
RE: ESPN Post-Spring Bowl Projections
Beat me to it. Fun, but questionable value (of course)
05-04-2015 07:24 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
So they're picking Clemson to win the ACC and go to the Peach Bowl but not make the playoffs.
(This post was last modified: 05-05-2015 01:18 AM by ChrisLords.)
05-04-2015 10:07 PM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

I Root For: YouAreButtHurt
1. I agree the ACC Champ won't make the playoff. No ACC school will go 12-1 or better.

2. FSU in the Sun? No.
05-04-2015 10:53 PM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
(05-04-2015 05:43 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  http://espn.go.com/college-football/stor...all-season

Quote:Belk Bowl

MS: Virginia Tech vs. Missouri
BM: Georgia Tech vs. Tennessee

I'd love for VT to go to the Belk bowl one year but would prefer Tennessee as an opponent.
05-05-2015 01:21 AM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
(05-05-2015 01:21 AM)ChrisLords Wrote:  
(05-04-2015 05:43 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  http://espn.go.com/college-football/stor...all-season

I'd love for VT to go to the Belk bowl one year but would prefer Tennessee as an opponent.

If GT went to said bowl, I'd be thrilled with the opponent. Have I mentioned TN should be ACC target #1? 05-stirthepot
05-05-2015 01:40 AM
Advertisement

ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(05-05-2015 01:40 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  
(05-05-2015 01:21 AM)ChrisLords Wrote:  

If GT went to said bowl, I'd be thrilled with the opponent. Have I mentioned TN should be ACC target #1? 05-stirthepot

But only if we can get either Florida or Alabama to come with them.
05-05-2015 12:41 PM

(05-05-2015 12:41 PM)ken d Wrote:  But only if we can get either Florida or Alabama to come with them.

I'd prefer for Pedo State to come with them to shore up the Mid-Atlantic and DC.
05-05-2015 12:47 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
Tennessee will never join the ACC if it means playing the Hokies in Blacksburg.

Date Opponent (record) Result Score Site
12/31/2009 Tennessee 14 vs. Virginia Tech 37 @ Atlanta, GA Chick-Fil-A Bowl
12/30/1994 Tennessee 45 vs. Virginia Tech 23 @ Gainesville, FL Gator Bowl
10/2/1937 Virginia Tech 0 @ Tennessee 27
9/30/1933 Virginia Tech 0 @ Tennessee 27
11/11/1911 Tennessee 11 @ Virginia Tech 36

The Volunteers lost in their first visit to Blacksburg in 1911 and haven't been back since... 104 years and counting!
05-05-2015 12:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BornAJacket Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Georgia Tech
Auburn wins the SEC? really

TCU wins BXII
OSU wins B1G
Oregon/USC picks from P12

I only see OSU possibly running the table. All the others will lose games.
05-05-2015 01:02 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-05-2015 12:47 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  
(05-05-2015 12:41 PM)ken d Wrote:  But only if we can get either Florida or Alabama to come with them.

I'd prefer for Pedo State to come with them to shore up the Mid-Atlantic and DC.

Assuming you are referring to Penn State, and just misspelled it, I would say that they are just as unlikely as any of the SEC schools mentioned as "targets".
05-05-2015 01:58 PM
Advertisement

Eagle78 Offline
1st String

I Root For: BC
ESPN Post-Spring Bowl Projections
(05-05-2015 01:58 PM)ken d Wrote:  
(05-05-2015 12:47 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  

Assuming you are referring to Penn State, and just misspelled it, I would say that they are just as unlikely as any of the SEC schools mentioned as "targets".

I see that once again Boston College is predicted to not make a bowl. I am relieved. For as long as I can remember, pretty much every year chuckleheads (IMO) like this predict BC to finish at the bottom of the pack and pretty much every year BC makes them look foolish. I expect this year to be no different.
(This post was last modified: 05-05-2015 02:05 PM by Eagle78.)
05-05-2015 02:03 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

Many years ago I had a cup of coffee at BC, as it were. I was there long enough to enjoy a banner football season, with the Eagles finishing the year 8-2. They stayed home that bowl season, too, though not for lack of an invitation.

I recall with amusement joining a march on Cardinal Cushing's residence. Only wide eyed college students could have believed he would intercede with the BC administration to change their minds about turning down a Liberty Bowl bid. On the other hand, such a protest was a good way to meet girls who might have already had a drink or two, so maybe there were ulterior motives.
05-05-2015 02:25 PM

(05-05-2015 01:58 PM)ken d Wrote:  Assuming you are referring to Penn State, and just misspelled it, I would say that they are just as unlikely as any of the SEC schools mentioned as "targets".

I was referring to the Nittany Lions. I did not, however, misspell it.
05-05-2015 02:26 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(05-05-2015 02:25 PM)ken d Wrote:  Many years ago I had a cup of coffee at BC, as it were. I was there long enough to enjoy a banner football season, with the Eagles finishing the year 8-2. They stayed home that bowl season, too, though not for lack of an invitation.

I recall with amusement joining a march on Cardinal Cushing's residence. Only wide eyed college students could have believed he would intercede with the BC administration to change their minds about turning down a Liberty Bowl bid. On the other hand, such a protest was a good way to meet girls who might have already had a drink or two, so maybe there were ulterior motives.

1983?
05-05-2015 02:33 PM
Eagle78 Offline
1st String

(05-05-2015 02:33 PM)TerryD Wrote:  
(05-05-2015 02:25 PM)ken d Wrote:  Many years ago I had a cup of coffee at BC, as it were. I was there long enough to enjoy a banner football season, with the Eagles finishing the year 8-2. They stayed home that bowl season, too, though not for lack of an invitation.

1983?

Terry, I think Ken was referring to the 1962 season where BC went 8-2 and refused a bowl bid to the then inaugural Gotham Bowl in NYC. The students humorously marched across the street to Cardinal Cushing's residence to implore him to convince BC to accept the bid (as if the Cardinal was somehow involved in the decision making process). Apparently, the Cardinal (who was a huge BC fan) said something to the effect: "Go home before I take up a collection." Apparently the students scattered quickly after that!

Ken, I assume I am correct about the year?

The Gotham bowl only lasted that season. The teams that played were Nebraska and the University of Miami. The game was played on December 15th, in 14 degree weather. Apparently, only about 2,000 fans showed up, so it probably worked out well for BC to decline that year.

BC did play ND in the Liberty Bowl in 1983. It was also a brutally cold night and the field was frozen solid. The kicking game was pretty much impossible. ND won the game 19-18. Each team scored 3 TDs. The difference was that ND successfully converted on one of the six extra point tries that both teams had. After the game, the then ND SID had the classic quote: "Imagine having all of these Catholics in one place and only able to make one conversion".

There is a great book written by the former BC SID - Reid Oslin - which is loaded with these stories. The book is called "Tales from the Boston College Sideline".
(This post was last modified: 05-05-2015 05:04 PM by Eagle78.)
05-05-2015 04:32 PM
Advertisement

ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-05-2015 04:32 PM)Eagle78 Wrote:  

1983?

Terry, I think Ken was referring to the 1962 season where BC went 8-2 and refused a bowl bid to the then inaugural Gotham Bowl in NYC. The students humorously marched across the street to Cardinal Cushing's residence to implore him to convince BC to accept the bid (as if the Cardinal was somehow involved in the decision making process). Apparently, the Cardinal (who was a huge BC fan) said something to the effect: "Go home before I take up a collection." Apparently the students scattered quickly after that!

The Gotham bowl only lasted that season. The teams that played were Nebraska and the University of Miami. The game was played on December 15th, in 14 degree weather. Apparently, only about 2,000 fans showed up, so it probably worked out well for BC to decline that year.

BC did play ND in the Liberty Bowl in 1983. It was also a brutally cold night and the field was frozen solid. The kicking game was pretty much impossible. ND won the game 19-18. Each team scored 3 TDs. The difference was that ND successfully converted on one of the six extra point tries that both teams had. After the game, the then ND SID had the classic quote: "Imagine having all of these Catholics in one place and only able to make one conversion".

There is a great book written by the former BC SID - Reid Oslin - which is loaded with these stories. The book is called "Tales from the Boston College Sideline".

1962 is correct. Were you there?
05-05-2015 06:13 PM
Eagle78 Offline
1st String

(05-05-2015 06:13 PM)ken d Wrote:  

1983?

No. I was only 6 years old at that time, but I do know my BC football history.
05-06-2015 01:00 AM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame

1983?

Yes, I vividly recall that game, which is why I asked.
05-06-2015 08:56 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-06-2015 01:00 AM)Eagle78 Wrote:  
(05-05-2015 06:13 PM)ken d Wrote:  

1983?

No. I was only 6 years old at that time, but I do know my BC football history.

I should have guessed that from your screen name. Reid Oslin was not yet at BC in 1962 either, unless he took longer than usual to get his degree. He graduated in 1968. 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2015 09:44 AM by ken d.)
05-06-2015 09:43 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.