Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Nashville Shooting UP! -- What is Memphis going to do about it?
Bookmark and Share
BinghamptonNed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
Want to start a business? Nashville is among the best places to give it a shot - Nashville Business Journal...

Nashville Ranked High in "Best place to start a business"
04-30-2015 03:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UofMark Offline
Heisman

RE: Nashville Shooting UP! -- What is Memphis going to do about it?
Memphis was #7 according to the article. Not bad.
04-30-2015 03:31 PM
spankadelphia Offline
Banned

The state of TN has invested a shitload of money in Nashville to make it what it is today. It'll be the size of Atlanta in 10-15 years.
04-30-2015 03:54 PM
Marc Mensa Offline
You'll Get Nothing and Like It

I Root For: The Underdog
Memphis ranked #7
Chattanooga #4
Nashville #20

What's Nashville going to do about being 13 spots lower than Memphis?
04-30-2015 04:07 PM
Reekinhavoc Offline
1st String

I Root For: Univ of Memphis
Memphis will supply the dope?
04-30-2015 04:13 PM
rc0213 Offline
1st String

I am surprised Nashville is lower than Memphis or Chattanooga, since Nashville gets all the state support. Chattanooga really surprises me, and I am wondering what Memphis needs to do to catch up with them.

I have lived and worked out of Memphis because I am in engineering, and basically, the pay is too low and the work there is very slow. But, engineering, in general, has been really rough the last few decades. I would move back to Memphis if an engineering job would be fairly competitive with the rest of the country. I tried applying to an engineering job down there this year, and the pay was about the same as I left back a couple decades ago. And, that is sad. Manufacturing in Memphis would be so ideal for so many reasons, logisitically, the engineering schools around there, etc.

FedEx and the Super Hub are the only real economic stable producers from what I have read. Since I have lived out of town for so long, I might not have the insider's info on the other job producers there. But, I hope to move back down there before I retire. So, Memphis, get some decent paying engineering jobs there!!! LOL
04-30-2015 04:33 PM
Advertisement

bubbapt Offline
Uh, what?

Donators
(04-30-2015 04:13 PM)Reekinhavoc Wrote:  Memphis will supply the dope?

In Cocaine Cowboys, they discuss how the Miami skyline was built with booger sugar.
(This post was last modified: 04-30-2015 04:35 PM by bubbapt.)
04-30-2015 04:34 PM
msu65 Offline
Blue To The Core

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
The cost of living, employee costs and land aquisition metrics kill Nashville, but it is estimated that 1,000,000 people will move to Nashville in the next twenty three years. I have purchased 7 acres off I-65 near Millersville for another branch of my service business and will open there soon. I would assume Memphis ranks highly because of low employee costs, low land and building costs and low taxes.
(This post was last modified: 04-30-2015 06:11 PM by msu65.)
04-30-2015 05:42 PM
SayWhat? Offline
All American

I Root For: CIVILITY & UofM
04-30-2015 05:50 PM
pkptigers07 Offline
All American

(04-30-2015 05:42 PM)msu65 Wrote:  The cost of living, employee costs and land aquisition metrics kill Nashville, but it is estimated that 1,000,000 people will move to Nashville in the next three years. I have purchased 7 acres off I-65 near Millersville for another branch of my service business and will open there soon. I would assume Memphis ranks highly because of low employee costs, low land and building costs and low taxes.

1 million people in the next 3 years? Surely that's a typo on one of those numbers
04-30-2015 05:55 PM
21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MEMPHIS BY DAMN
I keep hearing how Chattanooga is booming. I have a friend whose highly-educated daughter chose Chattanooga over Atlanta to start work and is now making pretty big bucks and climbing a corporate ladder. She absolultely loves it. Chattanooga seems to be a magnet for the new professionals who are flocking to urban cores all over the country.

Memphis is known for its entrepreneurial spirit with a long history of mega-successes here, partly because of shipping logistics, rail, air, road, and river, and because we are a crossroads: FedEx, Schering-Plough, Holiday Inns, St. Jude, AutoZone, Piggly Wiggly (automated grocery stores), on and on. We have several business incubators, and frequent pop-up events, to help hatch new businesses. Nashville? Smashville. You can have its traffic jams, its country music fans, its crime and hardcore drug addicts.

Check out Bruce VanWyngarten's (Editor) editorial in the front of the Flyer this week, and then thumb over to the last page and read Tim Sampson's The Rant. Memphis is soaring so high now that it's mindboggling, and we are becoming very well-known among those young professionals seeking opportunity in a unique, historic, and hip environment.
04-30-2015 06:00 PM
Advertisement

msu65 Offline
Blue To The Core

(04-30-2015 05:55 PM)pkptigers07 Wrote:  
(04-30-2015 05:42 PM)msu65 Wrote:  The cost of living, employee costs and land aquisition metrics kill Nashville, but it is estimated that 1,000,000 people will move to Nashville in the next three years. I have purchased 7 acres off I-65 near Millersville for another branch of my service business and will open there soon. I would assume Memphis ranks highly because of low employee costs, low land and building costs and low taxes.

1 million people in the next 3 years? Surely that's a typo on one of those numbers

Yes, that would be "Twenty Three" years. Thanks.
04-30-2015 06:02 PM
msu65 Offline
Blue To The Core

Two years ago Nashville's projected growth was 30,000 over the five year period from 2012 to 2017, but they are being revised yearly because 20,000 residents moved into Nashville in 2014 alone.
04-30-2015 06:08 PM
msu65 Offline
Blue To The Core

(04-30-2015 06:00 PM)21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha Wrote:  I keep hearing how Chattanooga is booming. I have a friend whose highly-educated daughter chose Chattanooga over Atlanta to start work and is now making pretty big bucks and climbing a corporate ladder. She absolultely loves it. Chattanooga seems to be a magnet for the new professionals who are flocking to urban cores all over the country.

Memphis is known for its entrepreneurial spirit with a long history of mega-successes here, partly because of shipping logistics, rail, air, road, and river, and because we are a crossroads: FedEx, Schering-Plough, Holiday Inns, St. Jude, AutoZone, Piggly Wiggly (automated grocery stores), on and on. We have several business incubators, and frequent pop-up events, to help hatch new businesses. Nashville? Smashville. You can have its traffic jams, its country music fans, its crime and hardcore drug addicts.

Check out Bruce VanWyngarten's (Editor) editorial in the front of the Flyer this week, and then thumb over to the last page and read Tim Sampson's The Rant. Memphis is soaring so high now that it's mindboggling, and we are becoming very well-known among those young professionals seeking opportunity in a unique, historic, and hip environment.

I love Memphis but I don't think I would throw crime into the equation. Nashville is a relatively safe large city.
(This post was last modified: 04-30-2015 06:10 PM by msu65.)
04-30-2015 06:10 PM
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
(04-30-2015 06:10 PM)msu65 Wrote:  
(04-30-2015 06:00 PM)21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha Wrote:  I keep hearing how Chattanooga is booming. I have a friend whose highly-educated daughter chose Chattanooga over Atlanta to start work and is now making pretty big bucks and climbing a corporate ladder. She absolultely loves it. Chattanooga seems to be a magnet for the new professionals who are flocking to urban cores all over the country.

I love Memphis but I don't think I would throw crime into the equation. Nashville is a relatively safe large city.

lol, wut?

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/mor...erous.html
04-30-2015 06:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
presskh Offline
Heisman

"Relatively safe" except for downtown and the entire north and most of the east side.
04-30-2015 06:49 PM
Advertisement

cotton1991 Offline
Heisman

(04-30-2015 06:32 PM)UofMemphis Wrote:  

lol, wut?

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/mor...erous.html

Yep, according to that link Nashville is the 18th most dangerous city and Memphis is no. 5.

Nashville as a "relatively safe large city"--with the emphasis on relatively, I suppose Nashville is safer than Memphis, Atlanta, New Orleans, Birmingham, and Miami, but relative to many other US cities outside the south or the rustbelt, it's absolutely dangerous.
04-30-2015 07:04 PM
tiger2000 Offline
I Post By "Feel"

I Root For: $79.95 Boards
Here we go.

NTR

VPSR (very political section related)
(This post was last modified: 04-30-2015 07:08 PM by tiger2000.)
04-30-2015 07:08 PM
bluebacker Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Close Games

Donators
(04-30-2015 04:33 PM)rc0213 Wrote:  I am surprised Nashville is lower than Memphis or Chattanooga, since Nashville gets all the state support. Chattanooga really surprises me, and I am wondering what Memphis needs to do to catch up with them.

I have lived and worked out of Memphis because I am in engineering, and basically, the pay is too low and the work there is very slow. But, engineering, in general, has been really rough the last few decades. I would move back to Memphis if an engineering job would be fairly competitive with the rest of the country. I tried applying to an engineering job down there this year, and the pay was about the same as I left back a couple decades ago. And, that is sad. Manufacturing in Memphis would be so ideal for so many reasons, logisitically, the engineering schools around there, etc.

FedEx and the Super Hub are the only real economic stable producers from what I have read. Since I have lived out of town for so long, I might not have the insider's info on the other job producers there. But, I hope to move back down there before I retire. So, Memphis, get some decent paying engineering jobs there!!! LOL

Memphis City Schools cannot provide a hireable work force.

Companies cannot locate here.

Shortage of good paying jobs.

Economy stays depressed.

It's a nasty cycle because for over 30 years no one has had the balls to clean up that mess of a school system.

Yes, it really is that simple and now it's pretty much too late.
(This post was last modified: 04-30-2015 08:00 PM by bluebacker.)
04-30-2015 07:40 PM
fsquid Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
I've known some people that have moved to Chattanooga for nice paying jobs. No state income tax, not far from Atlanta and in the mountains is what attracted them.
04-30-2015 07:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.