Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UConn loses at home to Holy Cross 8-7 in front of 179 fans?
PiratePanther189 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU, AAC
UConn loses at home to Holy Cross 8-7 in front of 179 fans?
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-bas...m46hc.html

I'm sorry, this deserves its own thread. According to the stats page, the weather was "B-e-a-utiful," so please tell me it's a typo.

179 fans? What in the world? I'd just like an explanation...
04-30-2015 01:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UpStreamRedTeam Online
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
RE: UConn loses at home to Holy Cross 8-7 in front of 179 fans?
(04-30-2015 01:17 PM)PiratePanther189 Wrote:  http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-bas...m46hc.html

I'm sorry, this deserves its own thread. According to the stats page, the weather was "B-e-a-utiful," so please tell me it's a typo.

179 fans? What in the world? I'd just like an explanation...

The explantion is that it is a college baseball game played at 3PM on a Wednesday within easy driving distance of three MAJOR LEAGUE teams. 179 people in the stands seems pretty good.
04-30-2015 01:42 PM
PiratePanther189 Offline
Special Teams

I know it's a midweek game, but come on. 179 fans is immensely low. Regardless of driving distance to pro stadiums - which I think is a moderately overblown thing.

I'm not saying it's a huge deal or anything, but that number struck me as worthy of asking. That's low.

I'm not saying that 1,000 people need to take in the sights and sounds of UConn/Holy Cross at all...but geez. That's not "pretty good" in any book.
(This post was last modified: 04-30-2015 01:53 PM by PiratePanther189.)
04-30-2015 01:52 PM
JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Temple
One of the really crazy things about the Northeast is that people actually have jobs.
04-30-2015 01:55 PM
BearcatMan Online
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
(04-30-2015 01:55 PM)JHG722 Wrote:  One of the really crazy things about the Northeast is that people actually have jobs.

03-lmfao

Seriously though, there's absolutely nothing there. No idea how anyone could conceivably make a story out of it.
04-30-2015 02:01 PM
PiratePanther189 Offline
Special Teams

(04-30-2015 01:55 PM)JHG722 Wrote:  One of the really crazy things about the Northeast is that people actually have jobs.

One of the funny things about Connecticut is that its unemployment rate is higher than North Carolina's.

Like I said, not a big deal, I just saw it and it struck me as interesting. I'm not a reporter trying to make a story..but I will say that it made me think a combination of students,alumni,family,friends of home team and the few away visitors would've netted a bit more. It's a low number for an ugly loss.

We just don't have crowds that low around here...I'm not trying to troll or be insulting. If that's the norm, hey, you do you UConn.
(This post was last modified: 04-30-2015 02:13 PM by PiratePanther189.)
04-30-2015 02:11 PM
Advertisement

The Original Timmy Chan Offline
Bad Mammy Jammy

I Root For: my wife
That attendance actually beats UH's ice hockey team attendance, so I can't talk. :)
04-30-2015 02:14 PM
JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-30-2015 02:11 PM)PiratePanther189 Wrote:  

One of the funny things about Connecticut is that its unemployment rate is higher than North Carolina's.

Like I said, not a big deal, I just saw it and it struck me as interesting. I'm not a reporter trying to make a story..but I will say that it made me think a combination of students,alumni,family,friends of home team and the few away visitors would've netted a bit more. It's a low number for an ugly loss.

We just don't have crowds that low around here...I'm not trying to troll or be insulting. If that's the norm, hey, you do you UConn.

...It's also one of the wealthiest states in the country, and in addition to working in CT, people commute to NYC and Boston. No one is going to a mid-week baseball game at 3.

Congratulations on the unemployed people in ENC being able to watch a baseball game at 3. Remarkable accomplishment.
04-30-2015 02:16 PM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!

04-30-2015 02:28 PM
PiratePanther189 Offline
Special Teams

(04-30-2015 02:16 PM)JHG722 Wrote:  

...It's also one of the wealthiest states in the country, and in addition to working in CT, people commute to NYC and Boston. No one is going to a mid-week baseball game at 3.

Congratulations on the unemployed people in ENC being able to watch a baseball game at 3. Remarkable accomplishment.

We can trade statistics back and forth...ENC's employment rate is nothing to marvel at - but Greenville is at 4.8% unemployed. Pitt county at 5.2%. Both lower than the national and state average.

You're getting all up tight about nothing, veer the topic into something that it isn't, and come out sounding like an a**hole. Meanwhile, the basis of your argument isn't there. State wealth is relative, especially when compared with job market and affordability - both of which North Carolina in general, especially Charlotte, Triangle, and Triad, beat the northeast at. A dollar brings you further anywhere in the state of North Carolina than it does in any of the states that you listed. Plus, I'd sure as hell rather live in Charlotte than in Boston.

So hey, good for you, good talk. But after all of those good vibes you were spreading, we're still at square 1. There should be more, even marginally, like 50 fans (which would be a pretty big jump by percentage), than 179 fans at the game. The biggest group I would call out there is the students, but I'm not really calling anyone out because (like I said) it really isn't a huge deal.

It was just an observation, one that apparently brought your little panties into a wad bud.
(This post was last modified: 04-30-2015 02:32 PM by PiratePanther189.)
04-30-2015 02:29 PM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
It looks like the UCONN obsession has made its way over to the AAC board too.

[Image: tumblr_mmzbnhfnDU1rket0no1_500.gif]
04-30-2015 02:34 PM
Advertisement

JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

I'm not uptight at all. I just want to know how you're able to go to a college baseball game in the middle of the work day.
04-30-2015 02:35 PM
UConnHusky Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn/Celts/Red Sox/Pats
(04-30-2015 02:16 PM)JHG722 Wrote:  

In addition:
1) Storrs isn't geographically near the working population who lives in the Hartford area (and who take career seriously). It makes attending a midweek game sort of hard
2) Nobody cares about Holy Cross
3) Students are busy studying for final exams. Students at UConn do love watching sports, but studying always comes before watching sports. That is why UConn is one of the Top 20 best public universities in the country.
04-30-2015 02:35 PM
Pony94 Online

I Root For: SMU
I am glad SMU doesn't have baseball as there would only have 9 fans. I am really pushing for us to add lacrosse which is becoming huge in Dallas.
04-30-2015 02:36 PM
PiratePanther189 Offline
Special Teams

(04-30-2015 02:35 PM)JHG722 Wrote:  I'm not uptight at all. I just want to know how you're able to go to a college baseball game in the middle of the work day.

I personally am not. I'm a solid 4 hours from Greenville in Charlotte, and I'm not leaving this god forsaken office until 6:30 at least. But as a student in the early 2000's, if my exam schedule allowed for it (which typically was only going to be a couple of days one week and a couple of days the next week or whatever), I'd typically go to as many mid-week games as I could in April-May just because it was a great way to get out in the nice weather, and it was free.

We also were really, really in a good place baseball-wise when I was in school. Students were in love with the team...and they still are here but not to the extent that we were then. It was just a different time during the LeClair era.
(This post was last modified: 04-30-2015 02:44 PM by PiratePanther189.)
04-30-2015 02:43 PM
DUPERGREENIE Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: TULANE
This thread needs to be deleted. Silly to start a thread about attendance for a midweek game during 'working hours'.
04-30-2015 02:44 PM
Advertisement

jwawker Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UConn, Colo St.
That was still 179 more fans than the Orioles had vs. the White Sox yesterday.
04-30-2015 02:51 PM
justinslot Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers&Temple
My impression of college baseball in the Northeast is only parents go to it. I don't know if Rutgers has gotten an attendance bump since joining the B1G just due to the brand names, but it's not like the B1G is good at baseball.
04-30-2015 03:17 PM
UConnHusky Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn/Celts/Red Sox/Pats
The popularity of sports varies by region. College basketball and football are both hugely popular nationally (in the north, basketball is somewhat more of a religion and in the south, football is somewhat more of a religion). In the north, pro baseball is huge. It the south, pro baseball is less huge.

As for college baseball, it isn't really followed up north (especially in New England) like it is down south. We have hockey instead. Hockey is a much more popular college sport in New England than baseball. Plus, who really wants to sit outside in the chill of April in New England. I would much rather go to Fenway in May through October to see the Sox on a nice summer evening.
04-30-2015 03:30 PM
PirateJim Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU/Underdogs
(04-30-2015 03:30 PM)UConnHusky Wrote:  The popularity of sports varies by region. College basketball and football are both hugely popular nationally (in the north, basketball is somewhat more of a religion and in the south, football is somewhat more of a religion). In the north, pro baseball is huge. It the south, pro baseball is less huge.

As for college baseball, it isn't really followed up north (especially in New England) like it is down south. We have hockey instead. Hockey is a much more popular college sport in New England than baseball. Plus, who really wants to sit outside in the chill of April in New England. I would much rather go to Fenway in May through October to see the Sox on a nice summer evening.

Good answer.
04-30-2015 03:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.