1st String

I Root For: UC
KOCH: Nippert Stadium Renovations An Impressive Symbol Of UC's Progress
Good stuff from Bill Koch at gobearcats.com:

KOCH: Nippert Stadium Renovations An Impressive Symbol Of UC's Progress

April 24, 2015

By Bill Koch
GoBEARCATS.com

CINCINNATI -- How far has the University of Cincinnati football program grown in the past 25 years?

You can measure the progress by the five conference championships the Bearcats have either won or shared in the last seven years in the Big East Conference and the American Athletic Conference and remember that UC didn't have a conference to play in from 1969 until 1996. You can measure it by the 13 bowl appearances in the last 17 years, including the Orange Bowl and Sugar Bowl, after making no bowl appearances for 47 years.

Or you could take a tour of the Nippert Stadium renovation, as I did Thursday, and remember what it used to look like before its last renovation in the early 1990s.

Back in 1989, the Bearcats were getting ready to play their Homecoming game against Memphis State in a crumbling, grey stadium that had been declared structurally unsound a few years earlier. UC officials were told at the time that they had several years to either fix the stadium or stop playing there altogether.

The year before, the Bearcats had averaged only 12,254 fans per game. Before the Memphis State game, I asked UC quarterback Glenn Farkas about the benefits of playing in front of a big crowd at Nippert on those rare occasions when one showed up.

"It covers up the stadium so you don't have to look at it," Farkas said.

Flash forward to Thursday afternoon when athletic director Mike Bohn joined the media on a tour of the Nippert Stadium upgrade as it moves toward completion in time for its unveiling on Sept. 5 when UC plays Alabama A&M in its season opener.

For most of the reporters and photographers, it was their first chance to see the striking changes that the $86-million renovation is bringing. For me, it was a trip down memory lane.

First the good stuff:

The new Nippert will increase seating from 35,000 to 40,000. It includes a structure on the west side that stretches for almost 130 yards and rises five stories above the stadium concourse. It contains four levels -- a press and operations suite with seating for 100 reporters, a suite level, patio suites level and scholarship club seats level.

UC will go from having almost no premium seating options to the addition of 1,100 scholarship club suites and more than 50 indoor and outdoor suites of varying sizes. In addition, the concourses on both sides of the stadium have been widened and furnished with new restrooms and concession facilities. New lighting has been installed on the roof of the press box on the west side of the stadium. There will also be additional lighting on the east side. And the Herschede-Shank Pavilion will receive an upper concourse with skywalks directly connecting to the Varsity Village plaza where additional restrooms and concessions are being built.

Before the previous renovation, the stadium seated 26,592. The press box was an antiquated wooden structure that more closely resembled something you would see at a high school field than a Division I facility. I remember as the project was beginning, walking from my car toward Shoemaker Center on the way to basketball practice and when I saw the old press box literally being torn from its mooring, the wood breaking apart as it crashed into the seats below. I paused to watch its demise, grateful that I would never have to watch another game from there.

Today, UC coach Tommy Tuberville uses Nippert as a selling point for recruits, but back then UC coaches tried to avoid showing it to recruits when they made their visits. Running back Terry Strong told me that when he made his visit he was hustled past the stadium. "They just passed by it and pointed it out to me," he said.

The locker facilities were located underneath the stadium split into a Red room and White room. The starters and upperclassmen used the Red room. Everyone else was stuffed into the White room. Both were dark and cramped. As Strong described it, "The ceiling tile would be falling down. When it rained heavy, the locker room would be wet and nasty inside. The carpet would get wet and mildewed. It smelled bad."

Fortunately, that's ancient history. The $13.5-million renovation that was completed in 1992 increased seating capacity to 35,000 by adding seats in the north end zone and extending the pavilion on the second level. The press box was replaced by one that seated 35 reporters, with broadcasting booths on the top of three levels.

In 1990, UC played only three home games -- all downtown at Riverfront Stadium - while Phase I of the renovation was being completed. The Bearcats returned to Nippert in 1991 to play another three-game home schedule before Phase II was completed in time for the 1992 season. Except for a few cosmetic changes, the stadium had remained unchanged since then until the current 20-month renovation was started by Turner Construction in December 2013.

Now the new Nippert is rapidly taking shape.

"They've put together what's going to be, and will be for a long time, the best on-campus and prettiest on-campus stadium that you'll see," Tuberville said. "And I've been in most of them around the country."

I've seen a lot of stadiums around the country, too. Some are impressive because of their size, but have little character. Others are located in picturesque settings that are striking because of their surroundings. But I don't know of any that are located in the center of campus the way Nippert Stadium is.

Nippert doesn't need to be among the largest stadiums in the country and it won't be surrounded by mountains. But it will be truly unique as it looms as an impressive symbol of how far the football program has come and where it can still go.

Bill Koch covered UC Athletics for 27 years - 15 at The Cincinnati Post and 12 at The Cincinnati Enquirer - before joining the staff of GoBEARCATS.com in January, 2015 as featured columnist. Follow him on Twitter @bkoch.
http://www.gobearcats.com/sports/m-footb...um=twitter

04-29-2015 10:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

cinbinsportsfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: KOCH: Nippert Stadium Renovations An Impressive Symbol Of UC's Progress
Shocked not to see a single comparison to Ohio State's stadium. Mike Bohn must really be doing a diligent job keeping Koch in check.

04-30-2015 07:43 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(04-30-2015 07:43 AM)cinbinsportsfan Wrote:  Shocked not to see a single comparison to Ohio State's stadium. Mike Bohn must really be doing a diligent job keeping Koch in check.

I have been impressed by Koch since he joined go bearcats.com. He has cranked out a lot more work and has been a lot more positive. Makes you wonder if his past work was more reflective of his thoughts or the Enquirer's.

04-30-2015 08:11 AM
Bearcatbdub Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The 'Cats! duh!
Kinda seems like a guy who does what hes told to do. My guess is the enquirer wasnt paying him to write rosy articles about UC. In the past, he was probably trying to remain objective and sometimes that didnt sit well with fans a lot of the time. Other times I think Koch was a little liberal in adding some things to his stories that could have been ommitted and were less than flattering for UC.

Since he has been a bearcats.com everything seems better.

04-30-2015 11:24 AM
Advertisement

Overrated Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
(04-30-2015 11:24 AM)Bearcatbdub Wrote:  Kinda seems like a guy who does what hes told to do. My guess is the enquirer wasnt paying him to write rosy articles about UC. In the past, he was probably trying to remain objective and sometimes that didnt sit well with fans a lot of the time. Other times I think Koch was a little liberal in adding some things to his stories that could have been ommitted and were less than flattering for UC.

Yeah, he was paid to be objective before. Now he works for UC. Completely different roles.

I found his content really lacking in the past, but that was probably more of a reflection of the newspaper industry.

04-30-2015 01:54 PM
bearcatmill Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(04-30-2015 01:54 PM)Overrated Wrote:  
(04-30-2015 11:24 AM)Bearcatbdub Wrote:  Kinda seems like a guy who does what hes told to do. My guess is the enquirer wasnt paying him to write rosy articles about UC. In the past, he was probably trying to remain objective and sometimes that didnt sit well with fans a lot of the time. Other times I think Koch was a little liberal in adding some things to his stories that could have been ommitted and were less than flattering for UC.

Yeah, he was paid to be objective before. Now he works for UC. Completely different roles.

I found his content really lacking in the past, but that was probably more of a reflection of the newspaper industry.

Objective is one thing. Going out of your way to be negative and rip an institution is another. With that said, he has written some very good articles, since coming to UC.

04-30-2015 02:02 PM
Cataclysmo Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnat
Just wondering, but what are the efforts like to get the media on UCs side? Itd be cool if Ono brought in all the sports reporters to his suite this year and gave them the finest treatment.

04-30-2015 02:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.