Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CBS reporting CUSA won't ammend by laws for UAB
Bookmark and Share
msm96wolf Online
All American

I Root For:
CBS reporting CUSA won't ammend by laws for UAB
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...t-football (Link Fixed)

Appears they will get another year for other sports. Not sure how UAB can get back to FBS level by 2016 even if the study recommends bringing back Football. Seems like it would take a multi-year effort unless the NCAA provides some waivers. UAB fans would know more about how this might be able to happen.
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2015 01:29 PM by msm96wolf.)
04-29-2015 12:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

demiveeman Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
BlazerTalk Award
RE: CBS reporting CUSA won't ammend by laws for UAB
Jucos, Jucos, Jucos.
04-29-2015 01:17 PM
USMSTUD Offline
Banned

I Root For: Southern Miss
(04-29-2015 12:56 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...t-football

Appears they will get another year for other sports. Not sure how UAB can get back to FBS level by 2016 even if the study recommends bringing back Football. Seems like it would take a multi-year effort unless the NCAA provides some waivers. UAB fans would know more about how this might be able to happen.
Link above didn't work for me. Here's the correct link.
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...t-football
04-29-2015 01:24 PM
loki_the_bubba Online
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
(04-29-2015 12:56 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...t-football

Link broken?
MUHERD76 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall Thundering Herd
Re: CBS reporting CUSA won't ammend by laws for UAB
Not looking good. Presidents still not budging.
CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

I Root For: Cajuns
Quote:It looks like this page has been moved or deleted
03-shhhh
Advertisement

Blue_Trombone Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
I can understand why. The fact that UAB, or at least its higher ups, had the gall to make a move like this does not give me confidence in their leadership. If things don't get fixed fast, they'll have a tough time finding a new conference, because who wants to add an untrustworthy athletic department?
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2015 01:29 PM by Blue_Trombone.)
04-29-2015 01:28 PM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(04-29-2015 01:28 PM)Blue_Trombone Wrote:  I can understand why. The fact that UAB, or at least its higher ups, had the gall to make a move like this does not give me confidence in their leadership. If things don't get fixed fast, they'll have a tough time finding a new conference, because who wants to add an untrustworthy athletic department?

That's probably what they're hoping for--conferences not wanting UAB because they can't be trusted, forcing them to just fold the entire athletic department.
04-29-2015 01:29 PM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
They should not budge. This is good news for UAB. It helps keep the pressure on them. They had planned on staying in C-USA and continuing to collect the revenue. It's another hole in their plan. Good news.
04-29-2015 01:31 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
msm96wolf Online
All American

I Root For:
(04-29-2015 01:17 PM)demiveeman Wrote:  Jucos, Jucos, Jucos.

Problem is a 25 scholarship a year limit. In theory you could get 25 for this year and 25 for next year. Not sure the NCAA will allow only 50 scholarship players to play FBS. Thanks to the Bear Bryant rule, if other scholarship athletes wanted to play on the team, they have to be under football scholarship. So it would have to be walk-ons to field the rest of the team.
04-29-2015 01:32 PM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
Again, if we bring it back in 2016 we have about 45 guys on campus. We recruit a class of transfers in 2015 25 more guys for 2016. That will put us about where we were at when Callaway took over but with a MUCH better coach. They will also request a waiver for guys to return with no penalty but I won't hold my breath on that one.
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2015 01:34 PM by ATTALLABLAZE.)
04-29-2015 01:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
The ODU beat writer at the Virginian Pilot reports that UAB is considering membership in the MVC it they dont bring back football. Thats is about as good a league as UAB can hope for since the A10 makes little sense geographically. Hopefully CUSA will be a better league than the MVC again soon.
04-29-2015 01:37 PM
keebler645 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Marshall
(04-29-2015 01:37 PM)monarx Wrote:  The ODU beat writer at the Virginian Pilot reports that UAB is considering membership in the MVC it they dont bring back football. Thats is about as good a league as UAB can hope for since the A10 makes little sense geographically. Hopefully CUSA will be a better league than the MVC again soon.

If they don't bring back football, that's a big step up for them in the only remaining sport that matters.
04-29-2015 01:44 PM
BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: UAB

DonatorsDonators
(04-29-2015 01:37 PM)monarx Wrote:  The ODU beat writer at the Virginian Pilot reports that UAB is considering membership in the MVC it they dont bring back football. Thats is about as good a league as UAB can hope for since the A10 makes little sense geographically. Hopefully CUSA will be a better league than the MVC again soon.

If A10 doesn't make sense geographically, then neither does the MVC.
04-29-2015 01:45 PM
WKUFan518 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
Not sure why anyone is surprised, I think most thought this would be the case...
04-29-2015 01:51 PM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(04-29-2015 01:45 PM)BeliefBlazer Wrote:  

If A10 doesn't make sense geographically, then neither does the MVC.

Geographically the only 2 conferences that make sense are the Sun Belt and ASun but UAB can do better by going to the MVC or A10.

I don't know how anyone with more than 5 mins of admis would think most CUSA schools would just give UAB a pass when they broke one of the bylaws. Most likely the biggest bylaw.
04-29-2015 02:00 PM
Advertisement

FIUFan Offline
All American

I Root For: FIU
(04-29-2015 02:00 PM)HerdZoned Wrote:  I don't know how anyone with more than 5 mins of admis would think most CUSA schools would just give UAB a pass when they broke one of the bylaws. Most likely the biggest bylaw.

Who's giving them a pass? But they certainly deserve a year or two to find another home as they are a founding member of this Conference in good standing.
04-29-2015 02:10 PM
msm96wolf Online
All American

I Root For:
(04-29-2015 01:33 PM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  Again, if we bring it back in 2016 we have about 45 guys on campus. We recruit a class of transfers in 2015 25 more guys for 2016. That will put us about where we were at when Callaway took over but with a MUCH better coach. They will also request a waiver for guys to return with no penalty but I won't hold my breath on that one.

Curious, is UAB keeping these 45 players on Football Scholarships? I could see this as a loop hole basically making this current year like a red shirt season. Then you still run into the 85 scholarship limit, only 40 could be added over the next two years not 50.

If they are not still on Football Scholarships, then it could get tricky if they have other scholarships. Not saying UAB couldn't field a FBS team by 2016. From my view, it would be a miracle if they do with a the challenges and rules they will have to meet.

Also, I don't think there will be much support from other FBS programs to allow waivers since it was a self inflicted wound. This is nothing like the Marshall plane crash of the 70's to rebuild a program. Technically UAB killed the program and is now saying wait we changed our minds. Poor management and decision making typically is not a valid excuse for any waivers.
04-29-2015 02:27 PM
Sirloin Burger Offline
All American

I Root For: ODU & VT
There's some chatter on MVC forums about Birmingham, but there are conversations about losing members to the FBS as well.

Wichita State will probably want out if MVC members with FCS programs move up. 2 Illinois legislators are pushing the BIG to add another Illinois program. ISU is one of those schools mentioned. Of course, Missouri State is monitoring the FBS landscape. UNI could go as well.

The basketball "only" scenario doesn't look good for Birmingham. The A10 has expressed no interest in UB so if the MVC and OVC aren't options, any other conference will most certainly dumb down the program. So not only does Watts kill football, he destroys Birmingham basketball as well.

Birmingham will have to reboot football to save basketball from a 1 bid/16th seed conference.

I'm predicting a comeback for football at the University of Birmingham.
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2015 02:46 PM by Sirloin Burger.)
04-29-2015 02:32 PM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(04-29-2015 02:10 PM)FIUFan Wrote:  
(04-29-2015 02:00 PM)HerdZoned Wrote:  I don't know how anyone with more than 5 mins of admis would think most CUSA schools would just give UAB a pass when they broke one of the bylaws. Most likely the biggest bylaw.

Who's giving them a pass? But they certainly deserve a year or two to find another home as they are a founding member of this Conference in good standing.

Ray Watts thought that CUSA would just over look UAB not having football. Or at least that's his response, which I believe is a big bunch of hooey. He knew what would happen.

This is the pass I was talking about.
04-29-2015 02:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.