Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Honor Code & On-Line Classes
Caelligh Offline
La Asesina

I Root For: Rice U

New Orleans BowlDonators
Honor Code & On-Line Classes
Does anybody know if Rice has implemented any programs like those in the article linked below (assuming students physically on campus have the option to take exams on-line)? It would seem counter to the Honor Code to have such programs.

Online Test-Takers Feel Anti-Cheating Software’s Uneasy Glare
(This post was last modified: 05-01-2015 04:44 PM by Caelligh.)
04-29-2015 12:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

New Orleans Bowl
RE: Honor Code
My initial reaction was that software shouldn't be problematic. Then I read the article.

Online Test-Takers Feel Anti-Cheating Software’s Uneasy Glare - NYTimes.com

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/06/techno....html?_r=1 Wrote:Once her exam started, Ms. Chao said, a red warning band appeared on the computer screen indicating that Proctortrack was monitoring her computer and recording video of her. To constantly remind her that she was being watched, the program also showed a live image of her in miniature on her screen.

This seems a bit creepy, in addition to pushing a CPU load onto her computer, which is more intrusive than a proctor in the classroom. The whole thing is bad enough, but having a little video selfie during the exam would be pretty disruptive.
04-29-2015 01:27 PM
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

New Orleans Bowl
And, oh dear, the irony...

Online Test-Takers Feel Anti-Cheating Software’s Uneasy Glare - NYTimes.com

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/06/techno....html?_r=1 Wrote:In hopes of alleviating students’ concerns, Verificient recently posted a pledge on its blog saying that Proctortrack did not share students’ data with third parties; that it typically deleted students’ data after 30 to 60 days; and that students could remove the software from their computers once they had uploaded their test data.
04-29-2015 01:32 PM
Advertisement

Caelligh Offline
La Asesina

I Root For: Rice U

New Orleans BowlDonators
Irony indeed! :)
04-30-2015 12:31 PM
JSA Offline
1st String

I Root For:
"None of you, in my opinion, given the behavior in this class, deserve to pass, or graduate to become an Aggie, as you do not in any way embody the honor that the university holds graduates should have within their personal character."

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/insid...rsity.html
05-01-2015 10:55 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.