Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Our next president has a tough act to follow
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
Our next president has a tough act to follow
http://entertainthis.usatoday.com/2015/0...tor-obama/

Well some of you won't acknowledge this but the White House Correspondent's Dinner usually has some hilarious moments. And President Obama bringing out his anger translator (from the Comedy Central show Key and Peele) was hysterical last night.

My favorite line - you think Bradley Cooper wanted to come here so he could be interviewed by Chuck Todd? He just wanted a glass of water!
04-26-2015 12:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UCF08 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCF
RE: Our next president has a tough act to follow
On this topic, I'll say this for Bush. He had good comedic timing on these things. Obama has gotten a lot better, but his first few were way too stiff.
04-26-2015 12:41 PM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
I may have to not vote for Hillary Clinton just because I think she would be horrible at this event. Whom among the Republican candidates would be the best at telling a joke?
04-26-2015 12:54 PM
UCF08 Offline
Hall of Famer

Oh god you're so right about Hillary, though it could funny in a meta-way, like enjoying the disaster.
04-26-2015 12:59 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
(04-26-2015 12:54 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  I may have to not vote for Hillary Clinton just because I think she would be horrible at this event. Whom among the Republican candidates would be the best at telling a joke?

I think thats' where the 'who would you want to go have a beer with' dynamic comes in.

Bill Clinton or Barack Obama win that one hands down with most people. They appear to be able to carry on a conversation about other things than politics. I'm not sure that any other candidates in recent memory have that going for them.

Mitt Romney might have the bracket of the century, but I think most Americans would rather watch the tournament with a few beers with Obama.

I cannot remember when the GOP has had a candidate that kind of has that 'non-political charisma". Jack Kemp perhaps
04-26-2015 01:03 PM
Advertisement

UCF08 Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-26-2015 01:03 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  
(04-26-2015 12:54 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  I may have to not vote for Hillary Clinton just because I think she would be horrible at this event. Whom among the Republican candidates would be the best at telling a joke?

I think thats' where the 'who would you want to go have a beer with' dynamic comes in.

Bill Clinton or Barack Obama win that one hands down with most people. They appear to be able to carry on a conversation about other things than politics. I'm not sure that any other candidates in recent memory have that going for them.

Mitt Romney might have the bracket of the century, but I think most Americans would rather watch the tournament with a few beers with Obama.

I cannot remember when the GOP has had a candidate that kind of has that 'non-political charisma". Jack Kemp perhaps

I don't know who they'd have nationally. I've seen it mentioned here the Cruz could fit that role and I just cringe.
04-26-2015 01:13 PM
stinkfist Online
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards

it's ironic you mention that....a quick witted sense of humor is not what I deem important from our supposed 'leader'....that only reminds me of the court jester or class clown...

granted, electability is a sticky wicket.....welcome to enjoying pos presidents moving forward (thank-you for changing your ethics captain media....you guys accomplished your brainwashing goals)

I am numbed to how stupid people are and what they deem as 'impotent'
04-26-2015 01:13 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-26-2015 01:13 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  

it's ironic you mention that....a quick witted sense of humor is not what I deem important from our supposed 'leader'....that only reminds me of the court jester or class clown...

granted, electability is a sticky wicket.....welcome to enjoying pos presidents moving forward (thank-you for changing your ethics captain media....you guys accomplished your brainwashing goals)

That's the problem. There's a very small space for a President to be seen as serious, yet approachable and funny. There are very few that can pull that off. Bill Clinton was the best at it, and that's one reason why he was so effective
(This post was last modified: 04-26-2015 01:18 PM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
04-26-2015 01:17 PM
stinkfist Online
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(04-26-2015 01:17 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  
(04-26-2015 01:13 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  

That's the problem. There's a very small space for a President to be seen as serious, yet approachable and funny. There are very few that can pull that off. Bill Clinton was the best at it, and that's one reason why he was so effective

no doubt, ole billy was the best at it.....you can't beat that voice coupled with his face....thankfully, he wasn't too bad at accomplishing a few things during his tenure either....
04-26-2015 01:54 PM
Advertisement

Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
In this era of youtube videos and other new media sources of information, this is unfortunately a quality of a president that is way over-valued. I'll admit that certainly.

But I do think it's important to have a sense of humor and sense of perspective. Here's an oldie but goodie from the other side of the political spectrum (and other side of the pond too for that matter).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQ6TgaPJcR0
04-26-2015 02:09 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
I read an interesting critique of the White House Correspondents Dinner and similar events. The author described them as basically incestuous get-togethers of the inside the beltway establishment community that is pretty much detached from the reality that is the rest of the country.
04-26-2015 02:59 PM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award

Hillary would be uniquely bad at it.
04-26-2015 04:36 PM
UCF08 Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-26-2015 04:36 PM)Smaug Wrote:  

Though, I thought the same thing about Martha Stewart and she did a great deadpan on that Roast she did.
04-26-2015 04:42 PM
Advertisement

I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

New Orleans Bowl
President Obama was pretty funny in this sketch. Pretty well written and executed.
04-26-2015 09:17 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-26-2015 04:36 PM)Smaug Wrote:  

Most years, there isn't a candidate who is 'beer buddiable'. Biden kind of qualifies, but unfortunately, he's not really seen as Presidential. O'Malley would qualify, but probably at the cost of looking Presidential. http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2014-05...rnor-banjo
(This post was last modified: 04-26-2015 09:38 PM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
04-26-2015 09:35 PM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

So we agree nobody wants to have a beer with Hillary?
04-27-2015 08:14 AM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
(04-27-2015 08:14 AM)Smaug Wrote:  So we agree nobody wants to have a beer with Hillary?

Will Bill be there?
04-27-2015 08:18 AM
Advertisement

VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
(04-26-2015 12:37 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  http://entertainthis.usatoday.com/2015/0...tor-obama/

Well some of you won't acknowledge this but the White House Correspondent's Dinner usually has some hilarious moments. And President Obama bringing out his anger translator (from the Comedy Central show Key and Peele) was hysterical last night.

My favorite line - you think Bradley Cooper wanted to come here so he could be interviewed by Chuck Todd? He just wanted a glass of water!

I watched that and thought it was pretty funny.
04-27-2015 08:19 AM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

(04-27-2015 08:18 AM)vandiver49 Wrote:  
(04-27-2015 08:14 AM)Smaug Wrote:  So we agree nobody wants to have a beer with Hillary?

Will Bill be there?

Some people find humor in painfully awkward situations.

They make me cringe.
04-27-2015 08:21 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.