Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Miami rivalry
Bookmark and Share
robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
Miami rivalry
Since we're in the offseason, I thought this would be a fun topic.

What does the Miami rivalry mean to you guys?

I'll be honest -- growing up, I never really liked football. I played basketball all the way through varsity and it was always my sport. It wasn't until after high school that I started taking an interest in football. Sure, I was always a Bengals and Bearcats football fan by default, but I didn't pay much attention to either team until about 10 years ago.

As such, my memory of our series with Miami mostly consists of us dominating them, as would be expected given our obvious advantages. So, personally, the rivalry means very little to me. I suspect it means something to older fans, or maybe to alumni of the universities -- you guys may be shocked to know this, but I am actually an OSU alum (didn't graduate from there)... never attended UC, but I grew up a UC fan and have a very contentious relationship with OSU athletics.

So, basically, those who have a longer history with UC football than I do... share your feelings about the rivalry. If it were up to me, we would work to end the home-and-home arrangement with Miami so that we can afford to play more road games vs. P5 opponents, but I also realize that may upset many.

(This post was last modified: 04-23-2015 01:58 AM by robertfoshizzle.)
04-23-2015 01:52 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: Miami rivalry
Oh yeah, I guess I do have some feelings about Miami... a girl I dated for 3 years went to/graduated from there. Beautiful campus, but I always hated going there because of the snobbery. I found it strange how a public university in rural Ohio had so many rich kids.

04-23-2015 01:56 AM
Teakwood Offline
2nd String

I Root For: All Bearcats
It was a very competitive rivalry while I was in school, including multiple overtime games. For me it was definitely a true rivalry, just without the vitriol of X (Others may differ on this).

It also includes my lowest point has a human (i.e. drunkest), all starting with a morning beer stop at (what was) UDF in Mt Airy on our way up Colerain.

04-23-2015 05:44 AM
Bearcatbdub Online
Heisman

I Root For: The 'Cats! duh!
I graduated in 2000 with my bs and 02 with my PharmD. I remember Miami getting the best of us several times when i was actually in school. But after I graduated... After the Roethlisberger years... i can't remember the last time they actually beat us.

04-23-2015 06:07 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
Miami's last win was in 2005, the year went with the young pups that made up the nucleus of the 2007 and 2008 teams that were so successful under BK.

I was at UC in the early 90's and Miami was 3-1-1 against us. That being said I never saw them as a rival per se but was frustrated they got the best of UC. Maybe part of the reason I never saw them as a true rival was the fact that I was not from here. I used to go up there all the time and eventually wife #1 was a Miami girl (my wife now is an OSU grad- I guess I am a glutton for punishment).

In my mind our rival in all sports is Louisville and XU for basketball only.

04-23-2015 07:16 AM
Banter Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC Bearcats
I like the history of it, and am forced to make myself care about the rivalry because it is the only football rivalry we have left. I would love to turn this into our "tune-up" game every year.

04-23-2015 07:17 AM
Advertisement

rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
I went to both schools. The history doesn't move my needle a bit. It's just a cheap home game and our only easy road trip every other year now. That's it for me.

04-23-2015 07:31 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(04-23-2015 05:44 AM)Teakwood Wrote:  It was a very competitive rivalry while I was in school, including multiple overtime games. For me it was definitely a true rivalry, just without the vitriol of X (Others may differ on this).

It also includes my lowest point has a human (i.e. drunkest), all starting with a morning beer stop at (what was) UDF in Mt Airy on our way up Colerain.

Colerain and Kirby?

04-23-2015 07:40 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

Tied for the 2nd oldest rivalry in D1 football. Whisky - Minny is 124 games, UC Cryami 119.

04-23-2015 07:45 AM
Teakwood Offline
2nd String

I Root For: All Bearcats
(04-23-2015 07:40 AM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  
(04-23-2015 05:44 AM)Teakwood Wrote:  It was a very competitive rivalry while I was in school, including multiple overtime games. For me it was definitely a true rivalry, just without the vitriol of X (Others may differ on this).

Colerain and Kirby?

That's the one!

04-23-2015 07:47 AM
Coopdaddy67 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ice cream
In short, nothing.

04-23-2015 08:03 AM
Advertisement

SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

(04-23-2015 07:47 AM)Teakwood Wrote:  
(04-23-2015 07:40 AM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  

Colerain and Kirby?

That's the one!

LOL. Prior to that, the lot was a auto repair place and UDF was across the street. No idea if it is still around, probably is.

04-23-2015 08:27 AM
dossbig Offline
1st String

I Root For: CINCINNATI
I would be happy with any of these scenarios:

1. Keep playing until UC leads series and then cancel or 2 for 1.

2. Cancel now or 2 for 1

3. Play always at Nip like it was for many years.

04-23-2015 08:29 AM
FLIP Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
My take, its more of a rivalry game to them than UC, just like X in basketball. To them, it's potentially the biggest win on the schedule they play. For UC, it's merely just another game in a larger grand scheme. It's a nice game and series locally, but outside of the area it has no real interest.

Also my take - something has to be addressed with the series. Financially, the current situation hurts UC. SOS hurts UC. The only positive of the current series is that Miami has made more money in ticket sales from UC fans for their home games than any other foe in the last decade. Either make some changes (maybe 2 for 1) or drop and replace with another home game.

04-23-2015 08:30 AM
bearcatmark Online

I Root For: the Deliverator
I enjoy the trip to Oxford every other year as tailgating is great up there and you can run outside at halftime for a quick beer than come back in. Bearcat fans always have a great presence up in Oxford. I don't think much of the rivalry right now as UC is just a vastly superior program, but I do think Miami brought in a coach that is going to bring them back. As a kid I loved the UC/Miami rivalry. There were a ton of fun games and I really appreciated the history. No need to stop playing it at this point, because UC isn't really in a position where it makes sense.

04-23-2015 09:12 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WalterSobchak Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: MY BEARCATS
MUCK FIAMI !!!!!!

04-23-2015 09:24 AM
Advertisement

WalterSobchak Offline
Special Teams

F**K THE FORESKINS !!!!

04-23-2015 09:27 AM
WalterSobchak Offline
Special Teams

Series record: Miami leads, 59–53–7

First meeting: 1888

Longest win streak

UC 9 (2006–present)
MU 5 (1913–1917, 1971–1975)

Hell yes I care! 7 more wins without a loss and we lead the series!

04-23-2015 09:32 AM
jarr Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Not "Not Duane"
This game means nothing to me. I live in KY and don't know a single Miami fan. I hear they exist, but I've heard the same thing about Sasquatches and Leprechauns. If we beat them, it does nothing for us because they suck. If we lose, it sucks because it hurts our W/L record and is a bad loss, but I'm not worried about some Miami fan rubbing it in my face.

So basically I care as much about playing them as I do about playing Toledo or any other MAC school

04-23-2015 09:41 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(04-23-2015 09:41 AM)jarr Wrote:  This game means nothing to me. I live in KY and don't know a single Miami fan. I hear they exist, but I've heard the same thing about Sasquatches and Leprechauns. If we beat them, it does nothing for us because they suck. If we lose, it sucks because it hurts our W/L record and is a bad loss, but I'm not worried about some Miami fan rubbing it in my face.

So basically I care as much about playing them as I do about playing Toledo or any other MAC school

The Miami grads that live by me are disguised as OSU fans. The guy who lives next door to me has the OSU flag in front of the house and constantly wears OSU gear. He does have a Miami sticker on the back of his car. Last year I was talking to him after the football game and not only did he not go to the game he did not know we had played yet. Another neighbor occasionally goes to Oxford to catch some hockey but does not follow college fb/bb.

04-23-2015 10:01 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.