Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

As a millennial, how can I understand and work with a Gen X-er?
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
As a millennial, how can I understand and work with a Gen X-er?
Quote:As an Xer, I’ve worked with and managed many millennials. And as Michael O. Church writes, people are people. Yet, there are times when knowing a little about each generation has helped me understand a colleague.

SNIP

Quote:To understand an X-er, the first thing to know, is that Xers grew up in a largely hands-off culture. Every generation for the past century has grown up with less and less self-autonomy. For an interesting article describing change over four generations, check out: How children lost right to roam.

Boomers and X-ers had pretty similar levels of freedom growing up. Kids could safely be out of sight of their parents for long periods of time. Many X-ers were Latchkey kids. In contrast, millennials, due to the technological ease of staying in contact, and changing parenting norms, often weren’t out of their parents’ sight until their teenage years.

Millennials also grew up with a lot more encouragement than X-ers. And as a result, millennials generally feel more comfortable voicing their opinion. Even when they just start a job.

For instance, one millennial I worked with, just got through training, and was asked by a Senior VP what they thought of the training program.

The millennial, either not knowing or not caring who was asking the question, quickly answered, “It was boring.”

To which the VP replied, “I wrote it.” And then, “Who again, are you?”

http://fortune.com/2015/04/22/as-a-mille...-gen-x-er/
04-22-2015 03:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
RE: As a millennial, how can I understand and work with a Gen X-er?
I'm an X-er and work with many millennials. Most are hard working good people, they just want to be CEO yesterday. There is this one guy that has superhero figurines in his cube, but the other millennials tell me he's just "different".
04-22-2015 03:22 PM
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
I'm an X-er and I can say proudly that we rock! Also, most of the people I interact with are X-ers and boomers.
04-22-2015 03:29 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
I've worked with all three groups and honestly don't think you an even really tell a difference. Ass holes are ass hole and nice folks are nice folks.
04-22-2015 03:38 PM
JDTulane Offline
Sazeracs and Retirement

I Root For: Peace
Vp shouldnt ask a question he doesnt want an answer to it looks like lol

I was a latchkey kid starting at 7
04-22-2015 03:42 PM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
I technically fall in the millennial category, but just barley. I'd say my upbringing was far more in line with generation x than what is described for millennials.

Things have changed A LOT just in the last 10 years. Just 10-12 years ago, you didn't have internet with you everywhere you went. Phones were usually bricks or flip phones with snake and tetris if you were lucky. Tablets didn't exist. Social media was just getting ramped up, unless you count AOL messenger or internet forums.

12 years ago, I was 16 and just getting my first cell phone. This is what it looked like:

[Image: from-backpack-transceiver-smartphone-vis...e.w654.jpg]

Anyway, I spent most of my time outside, riding my bike around well out of my parents sight. I'd stay out late, often until the sun went down.
04-22-2015 04:04 PM
Advertisement

UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
(04-22-2015 03:38 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  I've worked with all three groups and honestly don't think you an even really tell a difference. Ass holes are ass hole and nice folks are nice folks.

I agree.

I'm a boomer who used to work with millennials. Their talk of pop culture bored me ... I don't care about the latest music. But we did have some common ground in sports. That was the link that kept us together: the NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, British Premier League, college sports, etc.
04-22-2015 06:32 PM
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
(04-22-2015 04:04 PM)Niner National Wrote:  12 years ago, I was 16 and just getting my first cell phone. This is what it looked like:

[Image: from-backpack-transceiver-smartphone-vis...e.w654.jpg]

Anyway, I spent most of my time outside, riding my bike around well out of my parents sight. I'd stay out late, often until the sun went down.

Uh, oh:

Here's why people are going crazy for this 16-year-old Nokia phone

[Image: nokia-8210.jpg]

"Drug dealers don't want the latest iPhone or Android phones.

Instead, Vice reports, drug dealers in the UK are stocking up on vintage Nokia 8210 phones because they are less easy to track.

Vice claims that "every source" the publication spoke with has one of the vintage Nokias.

Vice spoke to a drug dealer known as K2 about the phones he uses. "I've got three Nokia 8210 phones and have been told they can be trusted, unlike these iPhones and new phones, which the police can easily [use to] find out where you've been.

K2 went on to explain to Vice that drug dealers use the Nokia phones because of their long battery life and fears over police surveillance. "At least I can trust an old Nokia," he said.

Vice also spoke to a crack addict who recalled being offered money for his old Nokia 8210 phone. He eventually exchanged it for some crack cocaine worth around $50. Another person Vice spoke to was a phone shop owner in Birmingham. He said that the phones sell "straight away" when they come in stock.

It's not just a long battery life that drug dealers like about the Nokia 8210, though. It also has an infrared port, which means that dealers can send contacts between phones easily without swapping out SIM cards."
04-22-2015 06:45 PM
UCF08 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCF
Yay more silly categorization based on nothing
04-22-2015 06:51 PM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
(04-22-2015 06:51 PM)UCF08 Wrote:  Yay more silly categorization based on nothing

A sharp mind can observe and draw solid conclusions based on patterns and trends it sees.

That's not stereotyping; it's the ability to make sense out of a chaotic world.
04-22-2015 08:48 PM
UCF08 Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-22-2015 08:48 PM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  
(04-22-2015 06:51 PM)UCF08 Wrote:  Yay more silly categorization based on nothing

A sharp mind can observe and draw solid conclusions based on patterns and trends it sees.

That's pretty much the definition of stereotyping. Not passing some moral judgement on it, but that's definitely stereotyping.
04-22-2015 09:00 PM
Advertisement

Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
(04-22-2015 09:00 PM)UCF08 Wrote:  

That's pretty much the definition of stereotyping. Not passing some moral judgement on it, but that's definitely stereotyping.

observing and drawing solid conclusions based on patterns is categorization and categorization. Stereotyping is the act of automatically and preemptively applying those patterns and categorizations to an individual member of that group.

It's easy to see the difference but for some folks science is hard.
04-22-2015 10:03 PM
ODUsmitty Online
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
In my corporation, which is huge and multinational, there was just a solicitation for a 2 day course for managers on how to deal with Millenials. As I hire 3-4 new employees a year, it is relevent and timely. And what Xers feel is important is clearly not what Millenials feel is important, and major differences on how both groups are raised are a key component in the differing perceptions and expectations of each group.
04-22-2015 10:13 PM
nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
(04-22-2015 06:32 PM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  
(04-22-2015 03:38 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  I've worked with all three groups and honestly don't think you an even really tell a difference. Ass holes are ass hole and nice folks are nice folks.

I agree.

I'm a boomer who used to work with millennials. Their talk of pop culture bored me ... I don't care about the latest music. But we did have some common ground in sports. That was the link that kept us together: the NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, British Premier League, college sports, etc.

BPL? Hopefully they are Arsenal fans.
04-22-2015 10:33 PM
UCF08 Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-22-2015 10:03 PM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  

observing and drawing solid conclusions based on patterns is categorization and categorization. Stereotyping is the act of automatically and preemptively applying those patterns and categorizations to an individual member of that group.

lol ok.
04-22-2015 11:41 PM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
(04-22-2015 11:41 PM)UCF08 Wrote:  
(04-22-2015 10:03 PM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  

lol ok.

Am I wrong?

Men are faster than women - Fact based upon group observation
Jack must be faster than Jane because he is a man - Stereotype

Need me to dumb it down further?
04-23-2015 07:02 AM
Advertisement

EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
I am the youngest person in our office at 36. There are 2 other Xers at 38 (receptionist) and mid 40s (Director of Security). I have been here for 4 years and there was only one millennial... the previous receptionist. She was married and slept with a lot of people includint the old Director of Security and the parent company CFO. She tried to sleep with my wife and I after getting trashed at the 2011 Christmas party. She was also feeding the parent CFO company business (we are an independent company with a parent and minority members). We eventually found a reason to get rid of her when she got busted altering her personnel file.
(This post was last modified: 04-23-2015 08:13 AM by EverRespect.)
04-23-2015 08:12 AM
No Bull Offline
Hall of Famer

I view X'ers as kind of whiney EMO's. X'ers are into weird shiite like soccer.
(This post was last modified: 04-23-2015 08:58 AM by No Bull.)
04-23-2015 08:57 AM
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
(04-23-2015 08:57 AM)No Bull Wrote:  I view X'ers as kind of whiney EMO's. X'ers are into weird shiite like soccer.

lol, that's because lots of us have little kids. I hated everything about soccer until about a year ago when my 5 year started playing. Now I follow games from other countries listening in foreign languages.
04-23-2015 09:00 AM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
(04-23-2015 08:12 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  I am the youngest person in our office at 36. There are 2 other Xers at 38 (receptionist) and mid 40s (Director of Security). I have been here for 4 years and there was only one millennial... the previous receptionist. She was married and slept with a lot of people includint the old Director of Security and the parent company CFO. She tried to sleep with my wife and I after getting trashed at the 2011 Christmas party. She was also feeding the parent CFO company business (we are an independent company with a parent and minority members). We eventually found a reason to get rid of her when she got busted altering her personnel file.

Unsure of the point. We keep having to fire baby boomers for banging their secretaries. Although they are very creative at how they go about it. Not going to paint the whole "class" with that brush.

Millennials are the younger people in the office much like us Xers were 15 years or so ago. I've certainly matured both personally and professionally as more responsibility is passed along.

i'm sure Millennials will be bitching about whatever the next group is that comes along when they start to move into management roles.
04-23-2015 09:03 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.