Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Here's why concussions plummeted among UC football players
Bookmark and Share
bctn8n Offline
1st String

I Root For: .
Here's why concussions plummeted among UC football players
The number of concussions suffered by University of Cincinnati football players has dropped by more than 80 percent since an innovative peripheral-vision training program started five years ago, according to UC researchers.

The program, which enhances an athlete’s ability to discern an
opponent who’s on a collision course, was credited with reducing the number of concussions from a rate of 9.2 per 100 games played to 1.4.

The brains of Bearcat athletes are now trained to process information faster by using equipment designed to improve visual acuity and hand-eye coordination, said Joe Clark, a UC professor of neurology who was corresponding author of a concussion study reported Monday in the journal Optometry & Visual Performance.
See Also

Evidence indicates that the training helped improve control of eye muscles. Players were able to better focus on a point, providing the brain with more information from peripheral fields of vision.

Large-scale clinical trials are needed to confirm the effects of the vision training noted in the study, which had a small sample size, Clark said.

He and some of his UC colleagues began vision training for Bearcat football players before the 2010 season. The number of concussions suffered by players during the four following seasons (2010-13) was compared with concussions logged in four earlier seasons, 2006-09.

“We believe that the vision training we performed is broadening the athlete’s field of awareness, or functional peripheral vision,” Clark said. “With that additional information, they can react faster to their changing environment and avoid injury-causing collisions.”

I reported in November 2013 that Clark and doctors at UC Health were developing techniques to teach football players how to absorb or avoid the kind of contact that causes concussions.

“Many coaches have told their players to ‘use’ their peripheral vision,” Clark said. “But little to no emphasis is placed on prevention or training to reduce the risk of traumatic brain injury, which includes concussions.”

Helmets can reduce the risk of skull fractures, but they can’t prevent concussions. It’s not the hit itself that causes a concussion but the force of the brain bouncing off the inside of the skull. In the most serious cases, the brain swells, affecting vital bodily functions such as the ability to breathe. Repeated concussions might increase the possibility of brain damage.

“So far, improved helmets and concussion-mitigation strategies have been ineffective,” Clark said. “We hypothesized that vision training would significantly reduce both practice and competition concussion incidence in football. What this vision training did was train our athletes to improve their peripheral vision.”
UC athletes are trained on a hand-eye coordination device called Dynavision D2, which is similar to the arcade game Whack-a-Mole. A computer gauges how fast and accurately athletes slap at one of 64 lights that flash randomly on a grid. The machines are made in West Chester and cost UC about $15,000 apiece (plus $2,000 for a mobile stand).

UC also uses a tachistoscope – which trains the brain to recognize images faster – pinhole glasses, strobe glasses and pitch-and-catch routines designed to be progressively more complicated.

Funding for the study was provided by the National Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering (part of the National Institutes of Health) and Geraldine “Ginger” Warner, a retired lawyer who is a member of the UC board of trustees.

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/ne...l?page=all

04-21-2015 11:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bruce Monnin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: Here's why concussions plummeted among UC football players
I hope this gets confirmed to work in larger studies. Anything to reduce football concussions is a great thing in my book.

04-21-2015 01:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
Above my pay scale, hope it is legit.

04-21-2015 04:02 PM
nachoman91 Offline
All American

I Root For: UC Bearcats
Or maybe its because the Bearcat players are hitting like pu**ies since the Tommy Tubberville regime took over.

04-22-2015 07:44 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
(04-22-2015 07:44 AM)nachoman91 Wrote:  Or maybe its because the Bearcat players are hitting like pu**ies since the Tommy Tubberville regime took over.

Why dont you pay the team a visit on the practice field and tell them that and see how that goes for ya...

04-22-2015 08:28 AM
Advertisement

FLIP Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Actually, I had the chance to see and talk to the Doctor running the program. It was very interesting talking to him. My son tried it out to see how he would do, needless to say he didn't come close to level of the players. It's legit, even 2 years ago when we talked, the data suggested the concussion numbers dropped dramatically from previous years (10-15 a season to 1-2 a season).

Next, I'd like UC to take look at CVAC Systems Inc. NFL teams are taking an increased interest.

04-22-2015 08:44 AM
Cataclysmo Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnat
(04-22-2015 07:44 AM)nachoman91 Wrote:  Or maybe its because the Bearcat players are hitting like pu**ies since the Tommy Tubberville regime took over.
What a well thought out comment.

04-22-2015 11:36 AM
JackieTreehorn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Bearcats
(04-22-2015 11:36 AM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  

Don't ruin for him. He was probably up all night thinking it up.

04-22-2015 01:26 PM
nachoman91 Offline
All American

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(04-22-2015 01:26 PM)JackieTreehorn Wrote:  
(04-22-2015 11:36 AM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  

Don't ruin for him. He was probably up all night thinking it up.

You people are way to easy to troll. 03-lmfao

04-22-2015 02:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.