Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

I wonder how the women...
westwolf Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: CFB
I wonder how the women...
... will like the CFP semi finals being played on New Year's Eve for the next two years.
04-21-2015 10:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
RE: I wonder how the women...
Honestly, it's going to be pain (regardless if you're a man or woman). My wife and I are beyond the point where we go out on New Year's Eve and pay three times more than normal to go to the restaurants and bars by us, so we usually have a few friends and family over (and their interest in college football is ranges from mild to non-existent compared to me). Even with the low key approach, though, it's still not really a night where I want to be sitting on the couch for 8 hours straight (which is what is required with how long college football games take these days). On the flip side, I also don't want to be just halfway-watching the playoff games. It's one thing to have a non-playoff Peach Bowl on in the background on New Year's Eve that you can watch in bits and pieces (which is what I've historically done), but I want to be able to pay full attention to the playoff games, which is simply very difficult on New Year's Eve. This isn't the same as the Super Bowl where even the non-football fans can be entertained by the commercials. As a result, I fear it's going to be bad all around: my wife and guests aren't going to be happy if I sit around just watching the games, and I won't be happy because I can't fully pay attention to the games.

Last year's New Year's Day doubleheader was PERFECT. That's much closer to a Super Bowl Sunday setup where the focus can be completely on football.
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2015 10:50 AM by Frank the Tank.)
04-21-2015 10:48 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(04-21-2015 10:14 AM)westwolf Wrote:  ... will like the CFP semi finals being played on New Year's Eve for the next two years.

Won't impact my wife at all. I've never watched a night New Year's Eve bowl game all the way through, at most I've caught a couple minutes in the restaurant bar waiting to be seated and I won't change that. If Arkansas can make the field, even better because I'll have an easier time getting a reservation.

I love college football and I watch it in about every spare minute I have but unless my team is involved, I don't carve out time to watch.
04-21-2015 11:03 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
Won't impact my wife either. She likes football.
04-21-2015 11:22 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(04-21-2015 11:22 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  Won't impact my wife either. She likes football.

My wife is generally understanding about watching big sporting events, but it's more about the specific date of New Year's Eve. A Super Bowl party revolves around football itself, whereas a New Year's Eve party (up to this point) generally doesn't. Obviously, it's an exception if it's actually your favorite and/or local team playing (i.e. a New Year's Eve party in Ohio while Ohio State is playing in a playoff game, where pretty much everyone is going to be directly interested in the game), but if you're a general sports fan that's agnostic as to who is playing, it's a lot tougher to dedicate that specific evening to football if you have a significant other and/or hosting a party. Like I've said, we'd often have the Peach Bowl or other sporting events on in the background on New Year's Eve, but playoff games are entirely different intensity that require the average sports fan's full attention.
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2015 11:44 AM by Frank the Tank.)
04-21-2015 11:41 AM
billyjack Offline
1st String

I Root For: Providence
On New Year's Eve everyone will be watching the 3rd Annual Big East Opening Day marathon, right? Five consecutive games on FS1. Right?

04-cheers
04-21-2015 12:50 PM
Advertisement

bullitt_60 Offline
All American

I Root For: Ga Southern
The only problem I have is that 12/31 is a Thursday and that's a work day. It seemed like half of the bowl games this year were on during the day when everyone is at work.
04-21-2015 12:56 PM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(04-21-2015 12:50 PM)billyjack Wrote:  On New Year's Eve everyone will be watching the 3rd Annual Big East Opening Day marathon, right? Five consecutive games on FS1. Right?

04-cheers

Is the Big East still a conference?
04-21-2015 12:57 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
Fox isn't that ******* stupid to put that against the CFP. It would be absolutely moronic to do that, especially when they could do it on the 2nd of January against nothing.
04-21-2015 12:57 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(04-21-2015 11:03 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  
(04-21-2015 10:14 AM)westwolf Wrote:  ... will like the CFP semi finals being played on New Year's Eve for the next two years.

Won't impact my wife at all. I've never watched a night New Year's Eve bowl game all the way through, at most I've caught a couple minutes in the restaurant bar waiting to be seated and I won't change that. If Arkansas can make the field, even better because I'll have an easier time getting a reservation.

I love college football and I watch it in about every spare minute I have but unless my team is involved, I don't carve out time to watch.

Me neither. I didn't watch any of the playoff games last season.
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2015 01:22 PM by TerryD.)
04-21-2015 01:01 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(04-21-2015 01:01 PM)TerryD Wrote:  

Me neither. I didn't watch any of the playoff games last season.

I watched but it was New Year's Day. I watch football all day because I don't have to go to work. New Year's Eve? I go out with a group of friends, I pay too much for a steak, have two bourbons on the rocks and go home after a night of catching up and everyone vowing to go out together more often despite never keeping that vow any other year.
04-21-2015 03:58 PM
Advertisement

HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
All you football loving dudes can stay home while I intimately ring in the new year with your women. 04-cheers

02-13-banana 02-13-banana 02-13-banana 02-13-banana 02-13-banana 02-13-banana 02-13-banana 02-13-banana 02-13-banana
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2015 04:04 PM by HuskyU.)
04-21-2015 04:03 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
My wife loves college football. She probably would be more likely to insist we watch the CFP than I would.
04-21-2015 04:08 PM
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
(04-21-2015 12:57 PM)XLance Wrote:  
(04-21-2015 12:50 PM)billyjack Wrote:  On New Year's Eve everyone will be watching the 3rd Annual Big East Opening Day marathon, right? Five consecutive games on FS1. Right?

04-cheers

Part time it is, if that... Sad
04-21-2015 06:08 PM
RaiderRed Offline
Banned

I Root For: P5
Honestly, the wife and I are looking forward to football on NYE. College Football is better than no football.
04-21-2015 06:21 PM
RaiderRed Offline
Banned

I Root For: P5
(04-21-2015 06:08 PM)BigHouston Wrote:  
(04-21-2015 12:57 PM)XLance Wrote:  

04-cheers

Part time it is, if that... Sad

I'm sure they like the money that comes along with being a part time conference.
04-21-2015 06:28 PM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(04-21-2015 10:48 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  Honestly, it's going to be pain (regardless if you're a man or woman). My wife and I are beyond the point where we go out on New Year's Eve and pay three times more than normal to go to the restaurants and bars by us, so we usually have a few friends and family over (and their interest in college football is ranges from mild to non-existent compared to me). Even with the low key approach, though, it's still not really a night where I want to be sitting on the couch for 8 hours straight (which is what is required with how long college football games take these days). On the flip side, I also don't want to be just halfway-watching the playoff games. It's one thing to have a non-playoff Peach Bowl on in the background on New Year's Eve that you can watch in bits and pieces (which is what I've historically done), but I want to be able to pay full attention to the playoff games, which is simply very difficult on New Year's Eve. This isn't the same as the Super Bowl where even the non-football fans can be entertained by the commercials. As a result, I fear it's going to be bad all around: my wife and guests aren't going to be happy if I sit around just watching the games, and I won't be happy because I can't fully pay attention to the games.

Last year's New Year's Day doubleheader was PERFECT. That's much closer to a Super Bowl Sunday setup where the focus can be completely on football.
Its why I hate it when my wife suggests Super Bowl parties. If I'm going to watch, I really want to watch.
04-21-2015 07:30 PM
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU

Loved this post. Now I am going to be an even bigger proponent of Arizona State and/or Arizona getting into the CFP.
04-21-2015 07:33 PM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
I'll watch. I love CFB on New Year's Eve. I'm divorced, so no wife will keep me from watching.

But there needs to be variety. If it's Alabama-Ohio State-Oregon-Oklahoma every year (or something like that), it's going to get old real fast.
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2015 08:52 PM by UConn-SMU.)
04-21-2015 08:51 PM
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
(04-21-2015 08:51 PM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  I'll watch. I love CFB on New Year's Eve. I'm divorced, so no wife will keep me from watching.

But there needs to be variety. If it's Alabama-Ohio State-Oregon-Oklahoma every year (or something like that), it's going to get old real fast.

Well I can guarantee you one thing. It won't be Ohio State and Oklahoma. Maybe in the next year or two but after that? Nope.
04-21-2015 08:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.