Swofford interview
04-20-2015 09:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Marge Schott Offline
Banned

I Root For: YouAreButtHurt
RE: Swofford interview
I read that earlier and didn't really find much of it new or useful. No network news. No scheduling news. Only thing I remember being "new" is the statement that the ACC doesn't appear to favor CFP expansion at this point (previously unknown).
04-20-2015 09:33 PM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UofL
Crazy how much attention Swofford gives a school that hates him?
04-20-2015 10:30 PM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

I Root For: YouAreButtHurt
Not really. Seems pretty normal considering FSU carries the ACC in football and all.
04-20-2015 11:13 PM
nole Offline
1st String

I Root For: FSU
(04-20-2015 10:30 PM)Dasville Wrote:  Crazy how much attention Swofford gives a school that hates him?

The bigger question is....how does the rest of the ACC not hate him.

Almost like they don't give a @#$@# about anything but basketball and a small subgroup within the conference (and his son's pay check).
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2015 08:59 AM by nole.)
04-21-2015 06:38 AM
Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(04-20-2015 11:13 PM)Marge Schott Wrote:  Not really. Seems pretty normal considering FSU carries the ACC in football and all.

Agreed. What seems abnormal is all the years Swofford did NOT address the FSU BOT. It's not like he is THAT busy this time of year that he couldn't attend all 15 BOT meetings (or whatever they are called at each school).

Not surprising that he told them basically "no comment" on the ACC Network, when he knew anything he said would end up on the internet. If they really want to know, they need to ask him one-on-one, in private.
04-21-2015 08:44 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Ragu Offline
All American

I Root For: FAU/FSU
Sounds like more bs from Swofford and the ACC. Doing nothing and dismissing any thoughts on the network. Gotta love him calling out FSU's OOC schedule too when he is supposed to be defending one of the few schools that gives a damn about football in the ACC. And the school the carries their brand name in the ACC where a bunch of others contribute nothing in football.

Nevermind the fact that he ignored the point on FSU being slammed for playing weak teams in the ACC and how those wins in conference did nothing to help their respect.

It's more of the same. Barron deserves a big FU for signing that GOR and then bolting FSU for the Big 10 right after. Everything that was promised to FSU has not happened at all.

I fear for FSU in the future. This crappy confernence is going to continue to fall behind in money made because of all the leaches and programs that add nothing in the mian revenue sport. And the leadership is attached to Tobacco Rd and basketball which will never change. The conference needs a true leader instead of a politician who talks but doesnt actually act.

PS: For all those that complain on FSU wanting more pull, imagine your conference without FSU and Clemson. It would fall apart or essentially be the Big East.
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2015 10:20 AM by Ragu.)
04-21-2015 10:16 AM
ken d Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(04-21-2015 10:16 AM)Ragu Wrote:  Sounds like more bs from Swofford and the ACC. Doing nothing and dismissing any thoughts on the network. Gotta love him calling out FSU's OOC schedule too when he is supposed to be defending one of the few schools that gives a damn about football in the ACC. And the school the carries their brand name in the ACC where a bunch of others contribute nothing in football.

Nevermind the fact that he ignored the point on FSU being slammed for playing weak teams in the ACC and how those wins in conference did nothing to help their respect.

It's more of the same. Barron deserves a big FU for signing that GOR and then bolting FSU for the Big 10 right after. Everything that was promised to FSU has not happened at all.

I fear for FSU in the future. This crappy confernence is going to continue to fall behind in money made because of all the leaches and programs that add nothing in the mian revenue sport. And the leadership is attached to Tobacco Rd and basketball which will never change. The conference needs a true leader instead of a politician who talks but doesnt actually act.

How did he "call out" FSU's OOC schedule? The link indicates that he defended it, not criticized it.
04-21-2015 10:21 AM
Ragu Offline
All American

He commented saying it didnt turn out as good as it looked on paper.

He was saying that FSU beat nobody so that is why they got no respect.

He completely ignores that the perception is the ACC sucks in football as a conference and that weighs down FSU's perception. They win despite the ACC, not because of it.

They carry the conference name. If FSU wins, it is the other teams saying the ACC is fine and that is evidence. If ACC is down, it is all FSU's fault. The leaches live off FSU in football.
04-21-2015 10:32 AM
ken d Online
Hall of Famer

(04-21-2015 10:32 AM)Ragu Wrote:  He commented saying it didnt turn out as good as it looked on paper.

That's right. He defended the schedule.

I don't believe he said that.

He completely ignores that the perception is the ACC sucks in football as a conference and that weighs down FSU's perception. They win despite the ACC, not because of it.

They carry the conference name. If FSU wins, it is the other teams saying the ACC is fine and that is evidence. If ACC is down, it is all FSU's fault. The leaches live off FSU in football.
04-21-2015 10:36 AM
Ragu Offline
All American

Um instead of defending FSU saying it is ridiculous that they got dropped from 1 to 4 as an undefeated team, he said it is because their OOC turned out worse than expected. So he isnt defending FSU at all. He is agreeing with the committee in dropping them and with the perception that they deserved the drop.

He isnt defending his most valuable football property. He is bailing on them with those comments.

And in rationalizing that ranking drop, he ignore that the ACC name sucks in football. Despite the other members blaming FSU and Clemson for this in the past, it was always on them. Stop leaching off the other programs and improve in the sport that matters most. It is on those schools sucking as to why this league is perceived to be bad in the main revenue sport.
04-21-2015 10:40 AM
Advertisement

Fburghokie Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Va tech
(04-21-2015 10:36 AM)ken d Wrote:  
(04-21-2015 10:32 AM)Ragu Wrote:  He commented saying it didnt turn out as good as it looked on paper.

That's right. He defended the schedule.

I don't believe he said that.

Most universities in the acc meet with swofford and leadership routinely - they go on stealthy and except from lots of freedom in info - fsu leadership and govern nance is almost like town hall - they have proven to not deal in sensitive business related decisions
04-21-2015 10:44 AM
Ragu Offline
All American

I mean because the ACC sucks in football, FSU is almost forced to schedule 2 juggernaut OOC games (or more ) to make up for the suckage of ACC football.

They have Ole Miss in 2016
Alabama in 2017

And they had Auburn in 2018 before those pansies backed out yet again. FSU should just not bother with pansy schools like Auburn and Georgia as they are scared of FSU and always back out.

The ACC isnt helping FSU at all. It hurts them in football if anything. They win and get no credit. They lose a game and face ridicule along the lines of "how can you lose to this team?"

Clemson, Louisville and VT appear to the be the only ones pushing football over this span of time. We will see with Miami since they have a new president and Sha na na is out finally. GT we will see too. The others have a lot of work to do.
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2015 10:54 AM by Ragu.)
04-21-2015 10:45 AM
ken d Online
Hall of Famer

(04-21-2015 10:40 AM)Ragu Wrote:  Um instead of defending FSU saying it is ridiculous that they got dropped from 1 to 4 as an undefeated team, he said it is because their OOC turned out worse than expected. So he isnt defending FSU at all. He is agreeing with the committee in dropping them and with the perception that they deserved the drop.

He isnt defending his most valuable football property. He is bailing on them with those comments.

And in rationalizing that ranking drop, he ignore that the ACC name sucks in football. Despite the other members blaming FSU and Clemson for this in the past, it was always on them. Stop leaching off the other programs and improve in the sport that matters most. It is on those schools sucking as to why this league is perceived to be bad in the main revenue sport.

Why would he say it was ridiculous that FSU was dropped to #4? Why should he? It wasn't ridiculous at all. Should he simply pander to FSU fans and lie about how good they were this year just make them feel better? Or should he respond reasonably and candidly?

FSU did not deserve to be ranked higher than they were. If they weren't the defending champions, they probably wouldn't have made the playoff at all. I think if you took off your garnet and gold colored glasses, you might at least be able to consider that possibility.
04-21-2015 11:00 AM
TerryD Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
I believe that an undefeated FSU was rightly included in the playoffs.

The point of all of this stuff is to actually win all of your games.

If you do that at the highest (P5) level, you should be rewarded.

I have no problems with FSU in the playoffs last year, and I am hardly an FSU fan.
04-21-2015 11:02 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ragu Offline
All American

(04-21-2015 11:00 AM)ken d Wrote:  
(04-21-2015 10:40 AM)Ragu Wrote:  Um instead of defending FSU saying it is ridiculous that they got dropped from 1 to 4 as an undefeated team, he said it is because their OOC turned out worse than expected. So he isnt defending FSU at all. He is agreeing with the committee in dropping them and with the perception that they deserved the drop.

Why would he say it was ridiculous that FSU was dropped to #4? Why should he? It wasn't ridiculous at all. Should he simply pander to FSU fans and lie about how good they were this year just make them feel better? Or should he respond reasonably and candidly?

FSU did not deserve to be ranked higher than they were. If they weren't the defending champions, they probably wouldn't have made the playoff at all. I think if you took off your garnet and gold colored glasses, you might at least be able to consider that possibility.

Nonsense. It is the commisioner's job to boost his teams and conference. It isnt his job to side with a committee. He is supposed to prop up his confernece no matter what. He isnt supposed to relate to the outside people.

No I dont consider that possibility of them not deserving a playoff bid. They were an undefeated team from a supposed power conference with Florida, Notre Dame and Oklahoma St on their OOC schedule. The defending champs stuff just adds to that.

I mean wtf else do you want them to do with their schedule?

Now if you think FSU deserved to be left out then that tells you that the ACC is a problem. Because that would mean it isnt truly a power conference. No undefeated SEC, Big 10 etc team would ever be thought to be left out. If you are saying an undefeated ACC team was lucky to get in, then the perception of the league sucking is real.

Thus the ACC would be hurting FSU as we have been stating all along.
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2015 11:07 AM by Ragu.)
04-21-2015 11:05 AM
Advertisement

ren.hoek Offline
1st String

I Root For: Clemson
an undefeated P5 champ will be in every time unless all of the P5 champs are undefeated. the only other potential exception would be if someone like nc state (who had an embarrassingly weak OOC schedule) went undefeated and squeaked by Clemson and FSU in the process. they might have a problem. bottom line - play a good OOC and win out, you're in.

FSU had no perception problem the previous year because they dominated nearly every game and went into the national title game favored over the SEC champ (and won after spotting them a few scores). last year, they were not as dominant. I still think they deserved to go, but I think it was obvious that they were not as superhuman as the previous year.
04-21-2015 11:11 AM
Ragu Offline
All American

So in other words, FSU has to be super human and dominant to get in and not have bad perception. Alabama can lose to Ole Miss and such and get in. OSu can lose to Va Tech and get in. But FSU has to be unbeatable while being undefeated to get in easily with good perception.

And that isnt an ACC problem at all right? Please....
04-21-2015 11:38 AM
CardinalJim Online
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
(04-21-2015 11:38 AM)Ragu Wrote:  So in other words, FSU has to be super human and dominant to get in and not have bad perception. Alabama can lose to Ole Miss and such and get in. OSu can lose to Va Tech and get in. But FSU has to be unbeatable while being undefeated to get in easily with good perception.

And that isnt an ACC problem at all right? Please....

That's media driven.
The SEC gets a pass playing a crap OOC schedule when in reality they don't play all the teams in their conference. The worm is slowly starting to turn. As was evident when The SEC didn't get two teams into the CFP as expected. SEC bias will die over time. It's just a slow process.
CJ
04-21-2015 11:43 AM
Ragu Offline
All American

Swofford interview
True the sec has a huge bias but Ohio state isn't sec. They lost to va tech and looked like crap vs teams like navy and pen st and they got in

That wouldn't happen for fsu. The acc has a huge negative perception and it is a big problem. And that isn't on schools like fsu and Clemson to fix. It's on the leaches to do their part

The acc hurts fsu right now.
04-21-2015 11:53 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.