Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

O'Leary wants spring scrimmages vs. other Florida teams
pesik Offline
Legend

I Root For: Houston
Exclamation O'Leary wants spring scrimmages vs. other Florida teams
(This post was last modified: 04-19-2015 04:54 PM by pesik.)
04-19-2015 04:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Danger in Carolina Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU & AAC & MWC
RE: O'Leary wants spring scrimmages vs. other Florida teams
(04-19-2015 04:54 PM)pesik Wrote:  http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...da-schools

Article makes no mention of location. I think that will be a factor in another team choosing to play this format. Also the risk of injuries is something that teams in the P5 with a shot of a conference title will consider when thinking about the offer.

Still I give O'Leary credit for being creative. On the surface its seems like a good idea, but like the author I can't see the likely suspects being interested.

But maybe the F*Us since either would be willing to travel and could benefit from the concept. Who knows maybe even Miami might be willing in their current state.
04-19-2015 05:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

I Root For: The Bridge of Death
It's an interesting idea, but i'm seriously doubting it'll happen. What happens with injuries? Where would it be played? Is it even allowed in the NCAA? Money talks, and I doubt the Cartel would be overly excited if their entire point of doing this is to give all their money away.
04-19-2015 05:23 PM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
I think that may be one of the funniest stories I have ever read. I suppose if O'Leary and UCF want to play every spring game outside of Orlando, it might work. But there's no way UF, FSU, or Miami are coming to play at BHNS.
04-19-2015 05:23 PM
pesik Offline
Legend

I Root For: Houston
this isnt a bad idea and realistic if you approach the right teams....
usf makes no sense why would either team argee and give your opponent intel on games you are going to play later, and a game viewed as most important by both fanbases

if ucf is willing to travel....i think florida would definitely conisder it, they are trying to rebuild and having other teams to actually evalute on would be something i think theyd actually consider (also they profit off of it not this charity bs)

FSU has nothing to gain from it, they out recruit everyone in their league, playng against themselves is all the scrimmage they need, besides maybe profit

if ucf doesnt want to travel and serious about this non-profit thing, i think he needs to hit up fau and fiu, who i think would both jump at the situation...both are trying to fight their way out of being cellar teams and having legit florida team to evaluate on would be something i think theyd jump on

and for people talking about injuries their are obviously going to be rules, like no contact jerseys (touching=tackling) that you put on your best players, and youd keep the scrimmages short
04-19-2015 06:04 PM
PirateJim Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU/Underdogs
High schools do it and the pros do it. Why not colleges? Have a jamboree and bring in about 8 schools.
04-19-2015 06:12 PM
Advertisement

zfred12 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF
I like the idea but I don't think it will ever happen
04-19-2015 07:08 PM
CyberBull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF
(04-19-2015 04:54 PM)pesik Wrote:  http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...da-schools

"Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe Jim McElwain or Jimbo Fisher like the idea and would welcome a spring showdown with UCF in 2016. But there's no way USF will agree to the game. The Interstate 4 rivals can only be allowed in the same stadium once a year or else the entire highway will catch fire."

This literally made me laugh out loud...
04-19-2015 07:15 PM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

(04-19-2015 05:23 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  I think that may be one of the funniest stories I have ever read. I suppose if O'Leary and UCF want to play every spring game outside of Orlando, it might work. But there's no way UF, FSU, or Miami are coming to play at BHNS.

Remember, Spring Game is just 1 of 15 allowed practices so this coukd be #11 or #12.for teams. . .and teams could still have a.scrimmage themselves on #15.

UCF had a scrimage a.week ago too...probably would have been better.playing another team ANYWHERE.
(This post was last modified: 04-19-2015 07:31 PM by KnightLight.)
04-19-2015 07:30 PM
oldtiger Away
Forgiven Through Jesus' Grace

I Root For: Memphis

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardMemphis Hall of Fame
Scrimmages are already allowed in basketball, although no "fans" are permitted, no ticket income can be generated, and (wink/wink) no score can be kept.

If the same rules applied to football; no income can be generated, etc; I wonder how many universities would be interested.
04-19-2015 09:28 PM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

(04-19-2015 09:28 PM)oldtiger Wrote:  Scrimmages are already allowed in basketball, although no "fans" are permitted, no ticket income can be generated, and (wink/wink) no score can be kept.

If the same rules applied to football; no income can be generated, etc; I wonder how many universities would be interested.

I think some would...just like in the NFL...when teams "scrimmage & practice" against each other toward the end of July during a normal "practice".
04-19-2015 11:00 PM
Advertisement

Knightbengal Offline
All American

(04-19-2015 05:23 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  I think that may be one of the funniest stories I have ever read. I suppose if O'Leary and UCF want to play every spring game outside of Orlando, it might work. But there's no way UF, FSU, or Miami are coming to play at BHNS.

Considering it has no bearing on the season and it offers a way to connect with local fans it might be. We play all of the other sports against um and fsu already.
04-19-2015 11:03 PM
leapinggazelle Offline
Banned

I Root For: Temple
Does the Uinversity of Tampa have football? Maybe O'Leary could get a scrimmage with them.
04-20-2015 01:19 AM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
(04-20-2015 01:19 AM)leapinggazelle Wrote:  Does the Uinversity of Tampa have football? Maybe O'Leary could get a scrimmage with them.

We are 3-0 against Tampa in 48,49, and 64

so maybe so, might be a good game.
04-20-2015 01:37 AM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
Teams in close proximity have "unofficial " 7 and 7s in the off season. This should not be a big deal.
04-20-2015 07:31 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UF, UCF
Georgia Tech or Miami seem like the best choices. GOL can recruit Atlanta or Miami and they are easy trips.
04-20-2015 08:29 AM
Advertisement

Bleeds_Purple Offline
All American

I Root For: East Carolina!
I've had the idea for years for FBS schools to play a spring game vs a D2 D3 NAIA or a juco team. With the rule all starters out at the half for both sides.
04-20-2015 02:43 PM
Harry J Offline
Fan of the spoarts

(04-20-2015 01:19 AM)leapinggazelle Wrote:  Does the Uinversity of Tampa have football? Maybe O'Leary could get a scrimmage with them.

I believe they closed down the program in the 70's.
04-20-2015 05:30 PM
oldtiger Away
Forgiven Through Jesus' Grace

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardMemphis Hall of Fame
(04-20-2015 05:30 PM)Harry J Wrote:  

I believe they closed down the program in the 70's.

I also remember that they shut down the basketball program while Dana K was the coach, which so seems unusual since he was the king of promotion.
They have a gap in their overall record between '71-'83:
http://tampaspartans.com/page.asp?articleID=2972
Head Coach Year(s) Record (Pct.)
Sam Bailey 1950-55 45-66 (.405)
Gene Biitner 1955-58 23-51 (.311)
Bob Lovoy 1958-66 71-139 (.338)
Dana Kirk 1966-71 68-59 (.535)
Richard Schmidt 1983-current 613-298 (.673) (NCAA D2)
(This post was last modified: 04-20-2015 07:53 PM by oldtiger.)
04-20-2015 07:51 PM
firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UF, UCF
The more that I think about this, the more I like it. A spring game during spring break. This could be a huge revenue generator for some schools. People are starved for football in the Spring. Give them a game to watch. It also allows coaches to try things that they would never do during the regular season like 2 point conversions, onside kicks, playing back up players, etc. Some schools would be able to get 40-80,000 fans out for a good spring game.
04-21-2015 08:29 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.