Open TigerLinks

Thread Closed 
Idea for improving board.
Bookmark and Share
ncrdbl1 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Think there would be a lot less conflict on this forum if we all could be assured that everyone has an equal voice. I propose we have a yearly retainment vote for the mods on the board. A way in which everyone can anonymously cast their vote as to retaining or removing board moderators. I would guess that it was be like a 99.9 vote to retain in most years. But it would help prevent personal bias from influencing moderation.
04-17-2015 10:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

SFB Tiger Offline
Banned

RE: Idea for improving board.
(04-17-2015 10:26 PM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  Think there would be a lot less conflict on this forum if we all could be assured that everyone has an equal voice. I propose we have a yearly retainment vote for the mods on the board. A way in which everyone can anonymously cast their vote as to retaining or removing board moderators. I would guess that it was be like a 99.9 vote to retain in most years. But it would help prevent personal bias from influencing moderation.

And here we go ...

3 ... 2... 1.... poof
04-17-2015 10:30 PM
Find all posts by this user
k2tigers Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
Donators
Be careful what you ask for. More likely is a vote to retain or remove posters, not moderators.
04-17-2015 10:31 PM
TigerBill Offline
Imperator Optimus Maximus

I Root For: Liberation

Donators
(04-17-2015 10:30 PM)SFB Tiger Wrote:  
(04-17-2015 10:26 PM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  Think there would be a lot less conflict on this forum if we all could be assured that everyone has an equal voice. I propose we have a yearly retainment vote for the mods on the board. A way in which everyone can anonymously cast their vote as to retaining or removing board moderators. I would guess that it was be like a 99.9 vote to retain in most years. But it would help prevent personal bias from influencing moderation.

And here we go ...

3 ... 2... 1.... poof

Personally, I think they're out of their minds for doing it at all.
04-17-2015 10:42 PM
Sundanceuiuc Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: .
I don't hate this. Governance should come with the consent of the governed within reason. I don't have an issue with term limits (mods only, admins have to stick) or voting on moderators.

The only issue with this in in practice. Every moderator was pretty much universally respected... until they decided to moderate the board. Then, when you have to actually take time to do the duties, people will regard you far less positively.

So then you would have a situation where you would have a poster well known for being a pretty reasonable person who then has to make 1-3 judgement calls a day, often where there really isn't a right answer, and then risk the wrath of every poster here over time. (Quick: one group thinks a coach is underachiving and over paid in a <20 win season and the other thinks criticism of said coach is treason... and you figure out equilibrium! GO!)

For example, my PM box is a fairly steady stream of criticism (some admittedly justified, I'm certainly not perfect), but it goes both ways ("you protect negative posters", "you only represent the sunshine types"). At least once every couple of weeks, two posters will argue about something, take extremely different views and then both think I am on the other person's side (I usually am not even aware the conversation is even happening).

But the moderation team should be accountable to the board. I'm not sure retention votes would be the way to do it, but I've heard a lot dumber ideas.

(please, please, please, please let me lose mine. I've tried to quit so, so, so many times 03-wink )
04-17-2015 11:04 PM
tigergg Offline
Heisman

I know a poster on here who was banned for life for being "antagonistic" that was the reason given anyway.. I happen to know said poster and he is one of the nicest guys you could ever meet.. He is no worse than 75% of the people on this board, me included.. What bothers me is that whomever banned him didn't even tell him whom it was that did the banning.. I personally think the Mod that banned him just didn't like him, his post, or just didn't agree with him so they banned him for those reasons.. Banning for being antagonistic would wipe out a bunch of posters!! This particular person has even PM'd a couple of Mod's on here and can't even get an answer or response from them.. That's just not right in my book!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
04-17-2015 11:36 PM
Advertisement

450bench Offline

(04-17-2015 11:36 PM)tigergg Wrote:  I know a poster on here who was banned for life for being "antagonistic" that was the reason given anyway.. I happen to know said poster and he is one of the nicest guys you could ever meet.. He is no worse than 75% of the people on this board, me included.. What bothers me is that whomever banned him didn't even tell him whom it was that did the banning.. I personally think the Mod that banned him just didn't like him, his post, or just didn't agree with him so they banned him for those reasons.. Banning for being antagonistic would wipe out a bunch of posters!! This particular person has even PM'd a couple of Mod's on here and can't even get an answer or response from them.. That's just not right in my book!!

Well stated.
04-17-2015 11:52 PM
Titans3775 Offline
All American

I Root For: Nuclear Power
(04-17-2015 11:04 PM)Sundanceuiuc Wrote:  I don't hate this. Governance should come with the consent of the governed within reason. I don't have an issue with term limits (mods only, admins have to stick) or voting on moderators.

The only issue with this in in practice. Every moderator was pretty much universally respected... until they decided to moderate the board. Then, when you have to actually take time to do the duties, people will regard you far less positively.

So then you would have a situation where you would have a poster well known for being a pretty reasonable person who then has to make 1-3 judgement calls a day, often where there really isn't a right answer, and then risk the wrath of every poster here over time. (Quick: one group thinks a coach is underachiving and over paid in a <20 win season and the other thinks criticism of said coach is treason... and you figure out equilibrium! GO!)

For example, my PM box is a fairly steady stream of criticism (some admittedly justified, I'm certainly not perfect), but it goes both ways ("you protect negative posters", "you only represent the sunshine types"). At least once every couple of weeks, two posters will argue about something, take extremely different views and then both think I am on the other person's side (I usually am not even aware the conversation is even happening).

But the moderation team should be accountable to the board. I'm not sure retention votes would be the way to do it, but I've heard a lot dumber ideas.

(please, please, please, please let me lose mine. I've tried to quit so, so, so many times 03-wink )

DOWN WITH Sundanceuiuc THAT UT LOVER! 05-duck
04-18-2015 12:38 AM
CUSA_NEWS Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Ligers
[Image: images.jpg?w=620]
04-18-2015 01:04 AM
BIGDTiger Offline
AKA The Big Shizzle

I Root For: Me
The devil you know is better than the devil you don't know.
04-18-2015 01:16 AM
BIGDTiger Offline
AKA The Big Shizzle

I Root For: Me
(04-17-2015 11:36 PM)tigergg Wrote:  I know a poster on here who was banned for life for being "antagonistic" that was the reason given anyway.. I happen to know said poster and he is one of the nicest guys you could ever meet.. He is no worse than 75% of the people on this board, me included.. What bothers me is that whomever banned him didn't even tell him whom it was that did the banning.. I personally think the Mod that banned him just didn't like him, his post, or just didn't agree with him so they banned him for those reasons.. Banning for being antagonistic would wipe out a bunch of posters!! This particular person has even PM'd a couple of Mod's on here and can't even get an answer or response from them.. That's just not right in my book!!

05-ban
04-18-2015 01:18 AM
Advertisement

3rdgenerationtiger Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tigers & Bears

When did getting banned stop anyone from posting on this board. They just go to one of their 27 backup logins.
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2015 03:12 AM by 3rdgenerationtiger.)
04-18-2015 03:12 AM
Chi-TownTiger Offline
Got Stripes?

Donators
My brain hurts.
04-18-2015 04:20 AM
Chi-TownTiger Offline
Got Stripes?

Donators
Oh by the way. I have never used or wanted to use an alias. Why on earth would anyone feel compelled to?
04-18-2015 04:22 AM
bigbob Offline
2nd String

(04-17-2015 11:04 PM)Sundanceuiuc Wrote:  I don't hate this. Governance should come with the consent of the governed within reason. I don't have an issue with term limits (mods only, admins have to stick) or voting on moderators.

Well let's be specific, shall we?

For months, there has been a constant stream of postings that declare Pastner to be "incompetent, clueless, stupid, ignorant, over his head....(completing the adjective list would take a while)"

These instances occur with nauseating persistency with ZERO response from you.

Yet when the SAME adjectives are used to describe Pastner detractors, you have warned me to "be civil or gone"

1st Amendment Free Speech standards should apply equally or not at all.

This is supposed to be a board that enables sharing facts, support and reasoned criticism of the U of M amongst its "supporters".

If your mod work is going to continue as is, consider me gone for lack of civility from the detractors.

This has been under your influence a board held forth for the University's nameless,
faceless snipers. If you and the aforesaid band of detractors have such passion to remove Pastner, show some courage and set in motion a petition asking the U of M to remove Pastner.

And put your names, addresses, email addresses and phone numbers on the petition (this will be a very small list..and maybe zero entries).

For all others, the Rebounders has a May 5 event to be led by Harold Byrd which will be supporting the U of M and Pastner. The list of attendees and their contact data will be available as will their faces.

They will be showing their faces on this list while your band of courage-deficient detractors will continue to show their rears here.

You need to take up a need hobby.
04-18-2015 04:28 AM
roundhouse74 Offline
Cynic

This board is moderated?
04-18-2015 06:38 AM
Advertisement

MemphisFan95 Offline
Coach A

I don't have a problem with the moderating or the anti Pastner bunch but do we really need 10 threads a day regurgitating the same crap.
04-18-2015 06:59 AM
BinghamptonNed Offline
Hall of Famer

So, you want to kick off moderators that are already unpaid volunteers?

this place needs more moderation, not slapping the wrist of the moderators.
04-18-2015 07:08 AM
tiger2000 Offline
I Post By "Feel"

I Root For: $79.95 Boards
Polls are so boring - I'd rather see a live streamed thunderdome style death match.
04-18-2015 07:10 AM
MemphisCanes Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: THE Tigers

The mods do a great job, and this may be one of the most thankless endeavors in human history.

Perhaps we should have a yearly poster retention vote.
04-18-2015 07:59 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.